Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pascal signs 1 year deal with the Eagles

Never_Quit

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Well that kinda sucks. But maybe this will force Ballard to start taking WR a little more seriously since Pascal's gone. 

Ballard has two young guys with a year in the offense in the wings to replace him. And Reggie to get them better! 

Ballard has a huge, expensive staff that must support him with quality intel to do his job. I doubt that ANYONE at Colts HQ believes he needs to take ANYTHING roster related, more seriously. lol

I truly dont understand what Ballard's doing here so someone, truly, please help this make sense.

1. Pittman (solid)

2. Retired/washed up TY (replace)

3. Pascal gone (replace)

4. Dulin (decent but predominantly special teams)

5. Stranchan (couldn't get on the field vs #2 and #3 above)

6. Patmon (couldn't get on the field vs #2 and #3 above)

7. Campbell (Ill believe it when I see it)

Seriously. What am I missing? 

*I love TY too but Its been like 3 years since he was a true threat.

33 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I truly dont understand what Ballard's doing here so someone, truly, please help this make sense.

1. Pittman (solid)

3. Pascal gone (replace)

Definitely needs upgrades...but...  If you look at some of the games that TY played, he was wide open a lot.  He's definitely not the same superstar but I think he's a serviceable #3.

Not saying the WR group was good, but between not giving Wentz protection and him always zoning in on MPJ, the others didn't get many chances.  

14 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

Pascal was an OK receiver, on another team he isn’t starter caliber. He started with Indy out of complete necessity. I do like Pacal because he does all the little things that other WRs aren’t willing to do like block, etc. wish him well with the eagles .

Best wishes to him and his family. He was EXCELLENT in Indy. Now, we have to upgrade and that might be by giving more chances to someone like Dez. Don't be surprised if that happens. If the BPA isnt a WR, Ballard isnt going to reach.

I expect much better play from our wides this year. Wentz was a dream for only Pittman, and i really think that's just because he had to throw it somewhere. Pitt would have done well regardless of who was pulling the trigger. Every other pass catcher including ZP suffered big time.

We will be adding more at the TE position, I feel. Matt Ryan loves throwing to RBs and TEs, and likes to attack all levels. He WILL take the layups, no doubt, just don't expect him to thread the needle on throws 30 yards down the field unless the WR is 1-on-1 and separates. If there is safety coverage, he does not have the arm strength to get it in there to split the safety and WR like Stafford does.

But I do remember Rivers throwing to TY in the sun (that TY dropped) and the TD to Pascal in a 1-on-1 vs the Steelers etc., so there will be chances for Ryan too, and typically Reich does not do that more than a couple of times a game anyways. Ryan's touch on those red zone throws to RBs, FBs, TEs and jump balls to WRs/TEs (talking to you MAC) will be the biggest difference from Wentz.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

1. Pittman (solid)

3. Pascal gone (replace)

It's early, let it play out, patience. We just got Matt Ryan and nobody thought that was possible, I didn't. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's early, let it play out, patience. We just got Matt Ryan and nobody thought that was possible, I didn't. 

I didn't either, not for a 3rd rounder and the way it played out.

14 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Fine with this.. Pascal wasn't anything special IMO so maybe we can find a replacement for him!

He had a down year last season, but he was reliable and essential in the run game.  I think people underestimate how important it is for our WRs/TEs to participate in the run game.

He and Jack will be missed.  I wish them both luck.

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He had a down year last season, but he was reliable and essential in the run game.  I think people underestimate how important it is for our WRs/TEs to participate in the run game.

He and Jack will be missed.  I wish them both luck.

Yep, Jack Doyle and Zach Pascal were integral to our run blocking, and Pascal is an underrated WR, but on most rosters would be a #4. 

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

1. Pittman (solid)

3. Pascal gone (replace)

You aren't missing anything.  Our WR group is atrocious.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, MacDee1975 said:

You aren't missing anything.  Our WR group is atrocious.

Agreed. All of them are UDFAs, letting them go isn't going to hurt the team. At worst, we'll just replace them with younger UDFAs.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:46 AM, Mitch Connors said:

1. Pittman (solid)

3. Pascal gone (replace)

I don’t know why you or any other Colts fan thinks Dulin, Strachan, and Patmon are all they’re ever going to be?    They’ve barely scratched the surface.  

Two of them came from a very low level of college football, so the jump for them has been much bigger than for most.    All three have size and speed.  What they need is experience.   Practice reps.   Game reps.   Seeing NFL defenses at their best.   This takes time.   I think you should view Ballard  being willing to invest this kind of time as a good thing, not a bad.  

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why you or any other Colts fan thinks Dulin, Strachan, and Patmon are all they’re ever going to be?    They’ve barely scratched the surface.  

Two of them came from a very low level of college football, so the jump for them has been much bigger than for most.    All three have size and speed.  What they need is experience.   Practice reps.   Game reps.   Seeing NFL defenses at their best.   This takes time.   I think you should view Ballard  being willing to invest this kind of time as a good thing, not a bad.  

I will readily admit I'm wrong if the data shows it but for most part WR's translate really well to the NFL from college and dont need more than a year or two to get going. It seems pretty rare to find a diamond in rounds 4-7 which doesn't give me much hope that these guys will turn into much more than they currently are.

Sure they will improve but I dont see a lot of history that suggests they will improve into real difference makers.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So I did a very quick look. 

Statistically speaking 17 out of the top 20 WR's were drafted in rounds 1-3. The other 3 were round 4.

There has been 1 WR reach the HOF that was drafted in round 5 or later (Rod Smith) with one more coming in Antonio Brown.

Sure its possible that Dezmon Patmon turns into Rod Smith but its far more likely he turns into Dezmon Patmon and nets one 400 yard season as his career best season. 

On 3/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, Mitch Connors said:

So I did a very quick look. 

Statistically speaking 17 out of the top 20 WR's were drafted in rounds 1-3. The other 3 were round 4.

There has been 1 WR reach the HOF that was drafted in round 5 or later (Rod Smith) with one more coming in Antonio Brown.

Sure its possible that Dezmon Patmon turns into Rod Smith but its far more likely he turns into Dezmon Patmon and nets one 400 yard season as his career best season. 

But on the bright side, I bet that receivers that were drafted after the 4th round get paid less than receivers drafted 1-3 rds. 

:funny:

Archived