Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I hope we don’t bring TY back.  He’s last resort in my preferences.  I think Irsay forced the signing last year.  I hope he doesn’t do it again. JMO.

Ballard is pretty high on TY.   So while Irsay may have said give him some more money.  I don't think Ballard was opposed to signing TY.  He just had a price set in his mind and TY wanted more 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I hope we don’t bring TY back.  He’s last resort in my preferences.  I think Irsay forced the signing last year.  I hope he doesn’t do it again. JMO.

Id be OK with TY if we got Toney.  Then have TY as a cheap third or fourth option.  Could be a mentor for Kadarius having spent his entire career with Colts.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

JMV was trashing Ballard for saying this same thing. Overgraded doesn’t mean over rated like JMV was saying.

If a T is available and you take Ballard at his word, I think that's what it will be.

I would be fine with that.  I wouldn't mind WanDale Robinson in the 3rd and his QB, Levis, next year.  

7 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It would be funny if he took a DE at 42. This draft is supposed to be loaded with them. 

Definitely have greater needs but I would be ok with this. I fully expect Ballard to take BPA regardless of position m, especially if someone with a first round grade slips to us. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I know this isn’t a rumor. But probably doesn’t need a separate thread. 

Wonder if Isaiah Rodgers participated.  Saw a video somewhere last year where he threw 7 strikes in a row between his legs.

43 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Saw that the Colts are not expected to receive 2023 Compensatory picks anymore.  Can someone explain why?  I thought we were expecting atleast 3-4 with how many of our players and coaches left

We have 3 extra this year. We signed Gilmore so that’s probably why we aren’t slated to have any next year.

1 hour ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

We have 3 extra picks this year?  I thought we only have 7 original picks

We have 7 picks. Not 7 "original" though.

Original picks:

1st--> to Philly for Wentz (as we all know and weep over lol)

2nd--> to Wash in Wentz trade for their 2nd (5 spot upgrade from 47 to 42)

3rd--> To Atlanta for Matt Ryan

4th-- ours

5th-- ours

6th--> to Philly for Pryor

7th-- ours

Picks we have that were not ours originally:

2nd--> from Washington (5 spots higher than our original)

3rd--> from Washington in Wentz trade

5th--> comp pick (loss of D.Autry)

6th--> comp pick (loss of J.Brissett)

So in the end we have:

2nd (Washington's original)

3rd (Washington's original)

4th (Indy original)

5th (Indy original)

5th (comp pick)

6th (comp pick)

7th (Indy original)

2 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Saw that the Colts are not expected to receive 2023 Compensatory picks anymore.  Can someone explain why?  I thought we were expecting atleast 3-4 with how many of our players and coaches left

As for why we won't be in line for comp picks in 2023:

biggest losses that qualified for comp picks:

- Glowinski (would have netted us a 6th)......gets offset by what we spent on Gilmore (who would have been worth a 5th)

- AQM (would have netted us a 6th).... gets offset by what we spent on Facyson 

All the other players we lost did not get contracts large enough to qualify for a comp pick next year.

And we did not lose any coaches or execs to GM or HC positions that were minority hires so we do not get any comp picks for coaches that left

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

We have 7 picks. Not 7 "original" though.

Original picks:

1st--> to Philly for Wentz (as we all know and weep over lol)

2nd--> to Wash in Wentz trade for their 2nd (5 spot upgrade from 47 to 42)

3rd--> To Atlanta for Matt Ryan

4th-- ours

5th-- ours

6th--> to Philly for Pryor

7th-- ours

Picks we have that were not ours originally:

2nd--> from Washington (5 spots higher than our original)

3rd--> from Washington in Wentz trade

5th--> comp pick (loss of D.Autry)

6th--> comp pick (loss of J.Brissett)

So in the end we have:

2nd (Washington's original)

3rd (Washington's original)

4th (Indy original)

5th (Indy original)

5th (comp pick)

6th (comp pick)

7th (Indy original)

Thank you for taking the time to explain this.  Much appreciated

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Id be beyond shocked if anything happened.  

It would be the least Ballard-type move he could make.  

Samuel does not have Ballard-desired character.    He does not come across as a team guy, he’s a “me” guy. 

Plus we’d be trading for a receiver in a draft loaded with receivers.   And some of the picks Ed have to trade are pucks needed for our future QB and our future LT.   Plus, we’d then have to sign him to a contract that would immediately make him the highest paid player on the Colts. 

Does ANY OF THAT strike anyone as something Ballard wants to do?   Not me. 

I think this is nothing more than a bad rumor that comes during the peak week of rumors. 

Don’t mean to be a killjoy,  but I think there’s zero chance this happens. 

49 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I’ll believe it when it happens.  If the reports are true the Jets are willing to offer the 10th overall pick for him I don’t see how the Colts can match that.  Strange things happen around the draft so maybe Ballard will pull a shocker but I’d also remind people teams sometimes purposely plant false stories this time of year to get attention off them when they are trying to do something.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Samuel does not have Ballard-desired character.    He does not come across as a team guy, he’s a “me” guy. 

Plus we’d be trading for a receiver in a draft loaded with receivers.   And some of the picks Ed have to trade are pucks needed for our future QB and our future LT.   Plus, we’d then have to sign him to a contract that would immediately make him the highest paid player on the Colts. 

I think this is nothing more than a bad rumor that comes during the peak week of rumors. 

Yip, this draft week blather belongs on dry-ice.  

On 4/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Definitely have greater needs but I would be ok with this. I fully expect Ballard to take BPA regardless of position m, especially if someone with a first round grade slips to us. 

It would not shock me if a DT was tops on our board at 42. Yes if so a scramble to trade back could ensue.
 As i have read, Seattle eventually chose to move away from a heavy DT to go for one that was more of a penetrator. CB drafting Grovers eventual replacement makes sense at some point anyway.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a wrong take here IMO. Now, I'm not saying Deebo will be a Colt, I'm disagreeing with your assessment of the player.

I'm not sure where you are basing that assessment from/on? In this case Samuel doesn't want to play RB or even be a hybrid. 

From what I've gathered, he doesn't mind having an occasional sweep or something but the way the niners have used him is tearing up his frame and he wants no part of that. He wants to be a true receiver. The niners will not commit to stop using him as they have and that's why he wants out. 

To me that's not a "me" guy, that's a "smart" guy.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It would not shock me if a DT was tops on our board at 42. Yes if so a scramble to trade back could ensue.
 As i have read, Seattle eventually chose to move away from a heavy DT to go for one that was more of a penetrator. CB drafting Grovers eventual replacement makes sense at some point anyway.

I’m thinking Dayo and a late round pick is going to be Grovers replacement. 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

This is a wrong take here IMO. Now, I'm not saying Deebo will be a Colt, I'm disagreeing with your assessment of the player.

I'm not sure where you are basing that assessment from/on? In this case Samuel doesn't want to play RB or even be a hybrid. 

From what I've gathered, he doesn't mind having an occasional sweep or something but the way the niners have used him is tearing up his frame and he wants no part of that. He wants to be a true receiver. The niners will not commit to stop using him as they have and that's why he wants out. 

It may be smart for him on a personal basis, but it reduces his value to the team.  

Dictating terms of how he’s used doesn’t strike me as a Ballard-guy. 

In addition….  It’s my understanding that he’s basically told the 49ers to not even try to make an offer to keep him or to try to smooth things over with him.   He wants out.  He won’t even negotiate with the team that made him valuable. 

Does that sound like a Ballard-guy?

I saw a tweet from him responding to negative fan reaction and let’s just call his language….  Colorful.   Not kid friendly. 

Does that sound a Ballard-guy? 

After a good rookie year, he showed up his second year over-weight and out of shape in year two (2020) wound up getting hurt.  Not very professional. 

Recapping his career… 

2021: Great year, which he doesn’t want to repeat. 
2020: oversight, out of shape, gets hurt. 
2019:  good rookie year. 

And now he’s demanding to be traded.   Sorry, but very little of this sounds like the Ballard level character he wants.  Let Deebo go elsewhere.   To acquire Samuel we’d have to use top future picks that we’d need either for our future LT or QB.   Why do that in a draft loaded with WRs who will play 4 years on a rookie contract?   AND on top of all of that, we’d make Samuel the highest paid player on the team.  More than Ryan.  More than Buckner, more than Nelson. 

None of that strikes me as a Ballard-type of thing to do.  

That’s my reasoning.   Sorry it went so long. 

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m thinking Dayo and a late round pick is going to be Grovers replacement. 

Grover’s new contract kicks in this year.   Dayo will only sub for him on passing downs.  I don’t see a late round pick (Grover was a late 4) as being his eventual replacement as a run stuffer.   It could happen, but you’d be getting lucky. 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

I would agree, assuming that's really his reason for wanting out. It's well-documented that RBs have shorter shelf lives in the NFL. If I was Deebo, not sure I would want to be running the ball 6-8 times per game (which is the range he was at when SF started using him that way). That's nearly 100 carries at the end of the season, which could quickly create wear and tear and put him at more risk for injury. 

For reference, Deebo had more carries last season (only being used that way for half a season) than Hines had all season.

But as a WR, Deebo could possibly play into his 30s...with top tier money for most of that time. 

And if he wants out so he can get paid a contract that SF isn't willing to give him, I really don't have a problem with that either. I would never begrudge a player for wanting to get paid. 

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may be smart for him on a personal basis, but it reduces his value to the team.  

Dictating terms of how he’s used doesn’t strike me as a Ballard-guy. 

In addition….  It’s my understanding that he’s basically told the 49ers to not even try to make an offer to keep him or to try to smooth things over with him.   He wants out.  He won’t even negotiate with the team that made him valuable. 

I saw a tweet from him responding to negative fan reaction and let’s just call his language….  Colorful.   Not kid friendly. 

Does that sound a Ballard-guy? 

After a good rookie year, he showed up his second year over-weight and out of shape in year two (2020) wound up getting hurt.  Not very professional. 

Recapping his career… 

2021: Great year, which he doesn’t want to repeat. 
2020: oversight, out of shape, gets hurt. 
2019:  good rookie year. 

And now he’s demanding to be traded.   Sorry, but very little of this sounds like the Ballard level character he wants.  Let Deebo go elsewhere.   To acquire Samuel we’d have to use top future picks that we’d need either for our future LT or QB.   Why do that in a draft loaded with WRs who will play 4 years on a rookie contract?   AND on top of all of that, we’d make Samuel the highest paid player on the team.  More than Ryan.  More than Buckner, more than Nelson. 

None of that strikes me as a Ballard-type of thing to do.  

That’s my reasoning.   Sorry it went so long. 

I'm not sure I would ever care if my players language was kid friendly or why that is even a thing but ok. I realize the Colts often look for high character guys so I get where you are coming from there. I'm just not sure every guy needs to be a boy scout or follow boy scout agendas when speaking of football players. There's a lot worse you could do than Deebo Samuel but that's just me. I still don't believe Samuel will be a Colt, just not for the reasons you stated above. 

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would agree, assuming that's really his reason for wanting out. It's well-documented that RBs have shorter shelf lives in the NFL. If I was Deebo, not sure I would want to be running the ball 6-8 times per game (which is the range he was at when SF started using him that way). That's nearly 100 carries at the end of the season, which could quickly create wear and tear and put him at more risk for injury. 

For reference, Deebo had more carries last season (only being used that way for half a season) than Hines had all season.

But as a WR, Deebo could possibly play into his 30s...with top tier money for most of that time. 

And if he wants out so he can get paid a contract that SF isn't willing to give him, I really don't have a problem with that either. I would never begrudge a player for wanting to get paid. 

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but it was a relevant post to rebuke a bit.

My issue with what Samuel is requesting is that he's using last year's performance (WR/RB hybrid role) to get paid for what will be solely WR production. I don't doubt that he could produce well as a WR only, but to try to use what he did last year as a reason for getting paid what he's asking to get paid is asinine. He's asking to be paid for past production that he is currently refusing to do moving forward.

At the end of the day, I liked Samuel as a prospect (not as much as others, admittedly) and think he's a really good WR. I would not want the Colts to give up the draft capital it would take to get him, nor the cap space he would demand. I also think his refusal to do something his team is asking him to do is antithetical to what Irsay meant by "all-in". He said that everyone needs to be willing to give everything they can to the team and sacrifice for the team. Samuel is absolutely able to make a business decision that he believes will help prolong his career, but with the way the entire thing seems to have been handled, he doesn't see like a Ballard or Irsay kind of guy.

Archived