Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Colts are a dead man walking

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Superman said:

Spears isn't a credible source.

Press Taylor left for a promotion, to a position that's not available on our team. 

Scottie Montgomery interviewed for a promotion (same thing), and as far as I know has not left at this point.

Mike Groh is the only person to make a lateral move. And that happens all the time in the NFL. He's a guy who's been demoted and fired multiple times over the last decade. And even if he did decide he didn't want to be with this team anymore, one instance doesn't make a trend.

The Colts have plenty of issues to be concerned about. We don't have to make stuff up.

I disagree. He literally has inside sources and I can't tell you how many times he would be the first to leak information hours and even days before everyone else and he's pretty much always spot on.

10 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I disagree. He literally has inside sources and I can't tell you how many times he would be the first to leak information hours and even days before everyone else and he's pretty much always spot on.

He is good with concrete things like hires. But he had the Gus Bradley thing all wrong. When your speculating on stuff like this it’s like the telephone game. 

17 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't agree with his Tweet, but I do like Dark Superman vs Superman. That's the off season drama I can get behind.

22 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

For example?

Less than two weeks ago, he was wrong about the DC position. And he made it a point to be obnoxious about it.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The only dead man walking is Wentz.  He’s gone this offseason or next.  I don’t see Ballard going anywhere.  Reich could be on the hot seat.

Ballard is a big reason we are in this problem. Reich hasn’t done anything to lose his job. Keeping Ballard means more passiveness. 

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard is a big reason we are in this problem. Reich hasn’t done anything to lose his job. Keeping Ballard means more passiveness. 

Just curious if you’re on other forums as well? I’d love to join and read your thoughts on those forums as well. Doesn’t have to be sports related.

I’d suggest everyone just take a deep breath rather than reacting to every little thing said about the Colts on twitter like it’s life and death.  What’s going to happen is going to happen.  We have no control over it.  I understand talking about things that’s not what I am saying, but we don’t need to treat every tweet like it’s major breaking news at least that’s how I feel because I don’t have the energy for that.  It’s going to be long off-season. I guess if people feel otherwise have at it.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d suggest everyone just take a deep breath rather than reacting to every little thing said about the Colts on twitter like it’s life and death.  What’s going to happen is going to happen.  We have no control over it.  I understand talking about things that’s not what I am saying, but we don’t need to treat every tweet like it’s major breaking news at least that’s how I feel because I don’t have the energy for that.  It’s going to be long off-season. I guess if people feel otherwise have at it.

So you mean not every random tweet referencing the Colts is worthy of its own thread and discussion? I agree. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

So you mean not every random tweet referencing the Colts is worthy of its own thread and discussion? I agree. 

What if it's a concerted Twitter sabotage campaign to destroy what little value Wentz has so we're forced to stick with him.....

... If we see usernames change back after he's confirmed as the starter next year, I'm just saying it's a bit more than coincidental. 

milhouse-looking-glass.gif 

More seriously, it would be a blow to move on from him and move onto what exactly? But then again he never wowed last season, without ever being truly awful enough to force things. I'm not sure how much is going on with the dynamics at the top, it feels like Irsay is more behind taking him out back like ol' Yellow. Makes me wonder if there is something other than standard of play here. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is such a bad look for Irsay and Ballard if true. This is what happens when your franchise QB retires and your GM is too passive. 

Although I disagree with his alarmist conclusions, I agree with the general premise that they react to:

#1 We made a lot of major decisions over the last few years.  Including drafting a guard 6th overall and trading a 1st/3rd for Wentz.

#2 The result was.... we didn't make the playoffs.  That's not good enough.  Everybody acknowledges that wasn't good enough.  And we required signature changes in order to be where we want to be.

#3 Our ability to make those changes is circumstantially truncated.  Some things we just can't do.

#4 Therefore, most of our bed we've already made, and much of it we cannot change.  So we've got to change what we can, and just Do Better with what we already decided to do.

Thus, Jason Spears called us a "dead man walking" and likened the coaching departures as rats evacuating a sinking ship.

In the end, his analysis could be right.

But I'm gonna hope that the changes we are able to make will be significant enough to get us back on track.

I hope.

More media sensationalism. I miss the days when the media reported facts.  Now there is so much speculation in everything it’s I’m starting to tune it all out. A retraction used to be a big deal and now everyone with a twitter account reports every rumor they hear and champion themselves when they finally get one right. 

35 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

More media sensationalism. I miss the days when the media reported facts.  Now there is so much speculation in everything it’s I’m starting to tune it all out. A retraction used to be a big deal and now everyone with a twitter account reports every rumor they hear and champion themselves when they finally get one right. 

The medium of delivering news has changed from newspapers and TV to the internet and social media. 

Facts don't get likes, shares, and clicks. But sensational HOT TAKES do. Facts just aren't sexy any more.

41 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

More media sensationalism. I miss the days when the media reported facts.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The medium of delivering news has changed from newspapers and TV to the internet and social media. 

Facts don't get likes, shares, and clicks. But sensational HOT TAKES do. Facts just aren't sexy any more.

This misses the mark. The "media" is not made up of journalists. It's made up of entertainers, and somewhere in there is a small percentage of journalists. 

Judging entertainers based on journalistic standards is like judging an offensive lineman on his 40 time. And the reverse is true, journalists shouldn't be judged on entertainment standards.

If you want news and facts, stick to people who hold themselves to a high journalistic standard. If you want rumors, go with rumor mongers. 

First of all, no idea if this is true or just conjecture by Spears... but... IF it is true, Irsay should fire them now, rather than next year. The moment you lose trust in your decisionmakers and put them in a situation where they should be making moves to save their jobs rather than moves to make the team better in the long-term is the moment you should just fire them. People who are under that kind of pressure for their jobs make all sorts of dumb decisions to claw up every minuscule improvement in the short term and * over over the long run. 

Just now, stitches said:

First of all, no idea if this is true or just conjecture by Spears... but... IF it is true, Irsay should fire them now, rather than next year. The moment you lose trust in your decisionmakers and put them in a situation where they should be making moves to save their jobs rather than moves to make the team better in the long-term is the moment you should just fire them. People who are under that kind of pressure for their jobs make all sorts of dumb decisions to claw up every minuscule improvement in the short term and * over over the long run. 

Yep. Been saying that. Never ends well. Because then your kind of forced info making 

impulsive decisions that just aren’t good. 

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

This misses the mark. The "media" is not made up of journalists. It's made up of entertainers, and somewhere in there is a small percentage of journalists. 

Judging entertainers based on journalistic standards is like judging an offensive lineman on his 40 time. And the reverse is true, journalists shouldn't be judged on entertainment standards.

If you want news and facts, stick to people who hold themselves to a high journalistic standard. If you want rumors, go with rumor mongers. 

Perfectly stated.

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t think either one should be on the hot seat. Period but if either of them should be, it’s Reich. His dumb play calls and inability to close out games is not the fault of Chris Ballard. 

we clearly have the talent when we can beat teams that got deep into the playoffs. It’s losing to teams like the Jags and blowing leads that points straight at coaching. If you or anyone else can’t see that, then you obviously weren’t paying attention. 

Furthermore. I was against the Wentz trade; warmed up to him in December, but now, looking back, it was a dumb move given what we have up for him. Wentz despite having a decent year stats wise, just isn’t a QB that can carrying a team. 

at his best, he’s an expensive Alex Smith. Good enough to be competitive and make some wow type throws. But when’s he’s off, he’s off and there is no middle ground. 

now can he turn it around; unlikely at this point but possible. Would a better receiver or two help, maybe. Rivers had the same crew basically and managed to at least get us to the post season. 

4 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

He's been adamant about Wentz being gone next year...probably the only "local" guy to be that way. Most of them were on the fence. And then this tweet came out this weekend.

Now he's likely peacocking...but that doesn't make him wrong. I do doubt the "dead man walking" claim though. Seems really sensational. However, I did find it interesting when both Groh and Taylor left (though Taylor got an OC offer).

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Colts fans after the season ended: THINGS NEED TO CHANGE!

Irsay after the season ended: We need to make some changes.

Ballard after the season ended: We're looking at changes we can make.

Changes start happening. Colts fans reactions:

To be fair, aren't most of the changes that have occured, "reactive" changes, not proactive changes. So a little hard to credit Irsay/Ballad/Reich with anything except reactive departure replacement. 

To your earlier comment on Spears. Not a huge fan, but he's had as many or more scoops than all the Indy beat writers.... no?

Overall, IMO, the O side of our team, isn't all that attractive, and really hasn't been for a few years. The once heralded OL took a definitive step back. The pass catcher talent hasn't been attractive for years. QB has been a question or roller coaster since Pagano's later years. Taylor is really the only sexy thing, and that's just not a ton of help given it's a passing league.  

6 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Lol I said this in the other thread, it’s going to be hard to convince people to come here to play and coach.  Players and coaches do not believe in Wentz and rumors of Reich being hard to work with does not help either.  

Well, the coaches the colts usually hire aren't picky, their happy to get a job..,..same for the FA's, Ballard & colts don't usually go after the top FA's that have choices where to go. The 2nd/3rd tier FA's,( the ones Ballard is interested in) aren't usually choosy what team signs them as long as they get signed.

6 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Lol I said this in the other thread, it’s going to be hard to convince people to come here to play and coach.  Players and coaches do not believe in Wentz and rumors of Reich being hard to work with does not help either.  

Ballard and frank relationships cost us last couple years , Brady wanted to come to Indy but we chose rivers because of relationships and wanted a 2 year deal with rivers then draft a qb. Brady goes on to win Super Bowl and play 2 years for Tampa. We choose to be cheap and not get stafford when he already came out publicly and said he would love to play for colts. We get Carson who had a up and down year because frank had a relationship with him. Stanford goes on and wins super bowl. We choose to sign Eric fisher coming off Achilles tear for double what leno would have cost and he was begging to come here. Leno goes on and has good year and excelled in pass pro, we know how Fischer did….. it’s more I want to say but I’m just to frustrated with colts atm 

Archived