Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Colts are a dead man walking

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Furthermore. I was against the Wentz trade; warmed up to him in December, but now, looking back, it was a dumb move given what we have up for him. Wentz despite having a decent year stats wise, just isn’t a QB that can carrying a team. 

at his best, he’s an expensive Alex Smith. Good enough to be competitive and make some wow type throws. But when’s he’s off, he’s off and there is no middle ground. 

now can he turn it around; unlikely at this point but possible. Would a better receiver or two help, maybe. Rivers had the same crew basically and managed to at least get us to the post season. 

I agree and it kills me watching stafford win even doe I’m happy for him and knowing that should have be us if we had above average qb play smh

2 hours ago, stitches said:

First of all, no idea if this is true or just conjecture by Spears... but... IF it is true, Irsay should fire them now, rather than next year. The moment you lose trust in your decisionmakers and put them in a situation where they should be making moves to save their jobs rather than moves to make the team better in the long-term is the moment you should just fire them. People who are under that kind of pressure for their jobs make all sorts of dumb decisions to claw up every minuscule improvement in the short term and * over over the long run. 

I agree, and it started with the Josh McDaniels head coach decision that Jim Irsay had to step in and help with, but doesn’t stop there how much draft capital have we spent on this defense and the offensive line? Seems Ballard is building a Ford F-150 but the owner wants a Ferrari:dunno:

Zak Keefer when asked abort this said it could be true but he put a different spin on it. He said with the QB uncertainty ect coaches want to go somewhere either where there is more stability or where there is a new GM coach and  things are just starting to get built. He didn’t see it as negative as Spears does.

14 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Hopefully people begin to see why I’m ok with using the 2022 season as a developmental and “see what we have” season and grabbing a qb in the draft of 2023.  

This may be what happens just because of all the factors that are involved.  I think they look.... hard.... but looking at whos a FA, and not having a #1 pick, we cant expect a miracle this offseason.  But we can still hope for one.

2 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

RTDB when ur guard is coming to you and telling the coach what to do I might question that play caller. Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

The Play Caller could’ve blocked that clip from being shown.   The organization had the option.   But the play caller thought it was a good look to other players around the league that might consider coming here to show that the HC is open to player input in the middle of a game.  

You might want to consider the HC was once a player and has a good reputation with his own players so he might just have a better perspective than you do and others here as well….. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You might want to consider the HC was once a player and has a good reputation with his own players so he might just have a better perspective than you do and others here as well….. 

I don't care what his perspective is. He said himself he has guys on the sideline that have to remind him when he hasn't called a run play in a while. In other words, he knows he has a tendency to abandon the run so he has to hire guys to keep him in check in that regard. Whoever that is was asleep in the job in the Bucs game and Q had to step in. 

I don't think it was as bad a look for Reich as some have made it out to be, but the bottom line is he abandoned the run for no good reason, as he has a tendency to do based on his own words. Him being a former player and his reputation with his players have nothing to do with that. 

Offensive assistants wise, I think they are looking at the Colts cupboard of offensive weapons and draft capital. We are limited everywhere with the  exception of o-line and halfback. Aging and or underperforming TE group. WR room outside of Pittman is a laundry list of practice squad players or at best WR3-4 players. A qb who through lack preparation or talent, cannot read pressures or coverage and never takes a checkdown. You're pretty limited. Think about it like this. If you had this great company that you loved working for but they consistently were not giving you the tools to succeed. Maybe not through lack of trying.Then along comes this other company and maybe they weren't as good culture wise but had shiny new tools and you could perform better and maybe land a promotion, what would you do?

6 hours ago, J@son said:

I don't care what his perspective is. He said himself he has guys on the sideline that have to remind him when he hasn't called a run play in a while. In other words, he knows he has a tendency to abandon the run so he has to hire guys to keep him in check in that regard. Whoever that is was asleep in the job in the Bucs game and Q had to step in. 

I don't think it was as bad a look for Reich as some have made it out to be, but the bottom line is he abandoned the run for no good reason, as he has a tendency to do based on his own words. Him being a former player and his reputation with his players have nothing to do with that. 

I did ponder during the season if the risk of having the HC calling plays is they can lose sight of the overall strategic situation and get a bit of tunnel vision. It would also seem to remove a degree of check and balance in play calling? 

Probably oversimplifying things here. All that aside my opinion is still Reich is a good designer of plays, but not a good playcaller. 

44 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I did ponder during the season if the risk of having the HC calling plays is they can lose sight of the overall strategic situation and get a bit of tunnel vision. It would also seem to remove a degree of check and balance in play calling? 

Probably oversimplifying things here. All that aside my opinion is still Reich is a good designer of plays, but not a good playcaller. 

This has been my opinion for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

This has been my opinion for a very long time.

I'm obviously a sucker for good guy coaches, as I wanted to give Pagano the benefit of the doubt well beyond the pale too. I'd love to see us take a flyer on handing play calling over to an up and coming mind, who can work with Frank and maybe act as a bit of foil when required.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'm obviously a sucker for good guy coaches, as I wanted to give Pagano the benefit of the doubt well beyond the pale too. I'd love to see us take a flyer on handing play calling over to an up and coming mind, who can work with Frank and maybe act as a bit of foil when required.

I still hold out hope that they do that.   Let Reich script the first 12-15 plays and then hand it to the OC.  Let Reich pay attention to the game and maybe point thigs out if he wants too.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I still hold out hope that they do that.   Let Reich script the first 12-15 plays and then hand it to the OC.  Let Reich pay attention to the game and maybe point thigs out if he wants too.  

Exactly, I'd rather Frank 'helicoptered' and took a step back to let him consider things without the time pressure of play calling. 

I've used the example before, but Andy Reid became a better HC (IMO) once they took play calling away. 

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Exactly, I'd rather Frank 'helicoptered' and took a step back to let him consider things without the time pressure of play calling. 

I've used the example before, but Andy Reid became a better HC (IMO) once they took play calling away. 

Reich, himself, provides a good example.   He was fired by the Chargers for his play calling.  He was successful in Philly and he did not call the plays.  I would say he is around average in Indy while calling the plays.   

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This may be what happens just because of all the factors that are involved.  I think they look.... hard.... but looking at whos a FA, and not having a #1 pick, we cant expect a miracle this offseason.  But we can still hope for one.

We HAVE to do what the Bengals.  Use the money!  Go out and get some players this year and next and create that team for our rookie qb.  We can’t sit by FA Anymore.

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yeah I obviously agree. I think it affects his game management as well. If it were up to me, we'd have a Senior OC who calls the plays, working closely with Reich and Brady. That Senior OC would probably be hired away pretty soon, and then we would hand play calling to Brady, and install someone as his right hand man. That would be the progression, assuming no drastic developments.

But there are so many offensive minded HCs who call plays now, and more and more as the McVay/Reid/Pederson trees expand. And even Reich is starting to have a coaching tree, and it's not a coincidence that Sirianni is the primary play caller for the Eagles. Maybe ironically, though, Eberflus will not be the primary defensive play caller for the Bears. It's definitely an offensive coach trend.

Arians was always a guy who said 'I'm going to call the plays because I think I do it better than anyone else.' And then eventually, he handed over play calling to Leftwich. Maybe Reich gets to that point? But I doubt it. And it's too bad, because I think it limits his effectiveness. He's a good HC, his scripts are good, his 4th down/2 point decisions are mostly good, but his play calling is one of his weakest spots. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah I obviously agree. I think it affects his game management as well. If it were up to me, we'd have a Senior OC who calls the plays, working closely with Reich and Brady. That Senior OC would probably be hired away pretty soon, and then we would hand play calling to Brady, and install someone as his right hand man. That would be the progression, assuming no drastic developments.

But there are so many offensive minded HCs who call plays now, and more and more as the McVay/Reid/Pederson trees expand. And even Reich is starting to have a coaching tree, and it's not a coincidence that Sirianni is the primary play caller for the Eagles. Maybe ironically, though, Eberflus will not be the primary defensive play caller for the Bears. It's definitely an offensive coach trend.

Arians was always a guy who said 'I'm going to call the plays because I think I do it better than anyone else.' And then eventually, he handed over play calling to Leftwich. Maybe Reich gets to that point? But I doubt it. And it's too bad, because I think it limits his effectiveness. He's a good HC, his scripts are good, his 4th down/2 point decisions are mostly good, but his play calling is one of his weakest spots. 

I wasn't actually a fan of the play calling back in 2012, too many long developing plays with a weak line. 

To your main points though, I agree. Sure come HCs can do both, but I don't think Reich is one of those guys. It will be interesting to see what Eberflus is like as a HC, and how the Bears D looks compared. They've got some legit pieces to work with. I also see favourite of mine, Hunt, is on the roster (for now!).

56 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

To your main points though, I agree. Sure come HCs can do both, but I don't think Reich is one of those guys. It will be interesting to see what Eberflus is like as a HC, and how the Bears D looks compared. They've got some legit pieces to work with. I also see favourite of mine, Hunt, is on the roster (for now!).

To me, that was obvious in 2 games that were lost this year when the run/pass ration was crazy lopsided and Reich response after the game was something like - "I had no idea it was that far off".    That tells me that he cannot control the game and play call at the same time.  I'm sure most cannot.  I would love to see Reich walking the sideline aware of every aspect of the game instead of play calling.

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

We HAVE to do what the Bengals.  Use the money!  Go out and get some players this year and next and create that team for our rookie qb.  We can’t sit by FA Anymore.

The QB FA market resembles the current car sales market.

You can have a wad of money in your pocket but the “product” is not available.

Doesnt look like a solid QB draft either.

I guess Tom could REALLY stick it to Bill if he came here though.

haha

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The QB FA market resembles the current car sales market.

You can have a wad of money in your pocket but the “product” is not available.

Doesnt look like a solid QB draft either.

I guess Tom could REALLY stick it to Bill if he came here though.

haha

Please stop being a "Richard tease" Sir...lol!

Rather or not the colts are rotting from within, we are far away from having any "all chips in" mentality. The colts are a lot more then just a QB away especially with the endless amount of young hot shot QBs in the AFC taking the league by storm.

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

Rather or not the colts are rotting from within, we are far away from having any "all chips in" mentality. The colts are a lot more then just a QB away especially with the endless amount of young hot shot QBs in the AFC taking the league by storm.

Two separate issues.   Our mentality is one.   All the hot shot quarterbacks for other teams is the other.  

I think you’re misreading the “all chips in” mentality.   We may be more than a quarterback away from being a Super Bowl team,  but Irsay, Ballard and Reich are all promising a much harder more demanding season.  They’re taking the steps that they can for right now.   Many more steps will be taken in the next 7-8 months. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two separate issues.   Our mentality is one.   All the hot shot quarterbacks for other teams is the other.  

I think you’re misreading the “all chips in” mentality.   We may be more than a quarterback away from being a Super Bowl team,  but Irsay, Ballard and Reich are all promising a much harder more demanding season.  They’re taking the steps that they can for right now.   Many more steps will be taken in the next 7-8 months. 

I honestly hope you're right because at this point I couldn't be more mentally drained by this organization when it comes to living up to expectations they have deemed for themselves.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I honestly hope you're right because at this point I couldn't be more mentally drained by this organization when it comes to living up to expectations they have deemed for themselves.

Interesting. My advice would be that if your entertainment is draining, find a different form of entertainment. 

Archived