Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Colts are a dead man walking

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

best pure qb ever!!

Of course, you’re wrong, but it gets tiring saying it again, and again, and again.

Now, if you want to say best pure PASSER, that would be a fair case to make.  

There’s so much more to being a great quarterback than just throwing the ball.  

And besides….  Why would you post this on a COLTS FANS MESSAGE BOARD?!?   What’s the point, if not to troll?   And you do it so badly…. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course, you’re wrong, but it gets tiring saying it again, and again, and again.

And besides….  Why would you post this on a COLTS FANS MESSAGE BOARD?!?   What’s the point, if not to troll?   And you do it so badly…. 

That's what I meant,. Best pure thrower of the baller and quickest release and cannon arm. I am not factoring anything else like playoffs, wins and losses. U need to calm down and stop reading my posts...lol!! If you physically built a pure qb it would probably be Marino.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a shame he never won a SB, Miami never put the right players around him like we didn't with Luck. Marino like Luck never had a good D or a running game at all.

He had a great Oline and 2 great wr's. No real running threat and average defense. But man he was the best in terms of being a pure drop back qb who could read defenses, read defences,  throw the ball with touch and velocity. This isnt to dop on Manning, but he was no where near him in terms of arm talent. Honselty, not many were.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He had a great Oline and 2 great wr's. No real running threat and average defense. But man he was the best in terms of being a pure drop back qb who could read defenses, read defences,  throw the ball with touch and velocity. This isnt to dop on Manning, but he was no where near him in terms of arm talent. Honselty, not many were.

Dan is top 10 ever IMO. His arm talent was amazing. I remember all those games he beat us in the 80's and 90's. The 1984 Dolphins were great but they ran up against the 1984 49ers in the SB. Like the Jazz with Stockton and Malone ran up against Jordan and Pippen. Circumstance sometimes dectates why some don't have a ring. Luck could never beat Tommy.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Manning became smarter as the years went on. Marino always felt like he could just beat you on raw ability which he could most of the time but no SB wins.

43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's what I meant,. Best pure thrower of the baller and quickest release and cannon arm. I am not factoring anything else like playoffs, wins and losses. U need to calm down and stop reading my posts...lol!! If you physically built a pure qb it would probably be Marino.

No, it wouldn’t be Marino, because he couldn’t run.   Bad knees.   But do go on and on and on and on and on….

Doesnt the fact that guys like Brady and Manning and Montana and all the success they had and none of them had Marino’s arm tell you ANYTHING?!?    

The best weapon a quarterback can have isn’t his arm.   It’s his brain.  The great ones have a super computer that processes information faster and better than anyone else.   That’s what makes the great as great as they are.  It’s the one thing they all have in common. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm as big a fan of Peyton as anyone and I have no issue with someone calling Marino the best qb ever. Hell you're acting like he said Trent dilfer instead of Marino. :P

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'm as big a fan of Peyton as anyone and I have no issue with someone calling Marino the best qb ever. Hell you're acting like he said Trent dilfer instead of Marino. :P

Jason….  The poster has already corrected himself.    He admits that Marino might be the best pure passer, but NOT the best total quarterback.    So the poster agrees with me on a certain level. 

Reich is not on the hot seat and will not be fired next season. He has had a new QB every year and will have a new one next year. Ballard has done nothing but build this roster to 7 Pro Bowlers. I have neither seen nor heard of Reich or Ballard being in any trouble but I do believe that Irsay has ordered the release of Wentz.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jason….  The poster has already corrected himself.    He admits that Marino might be the best pure passer, but NOT the best total quarterback.    So the poster agrees with me on a certain level. 

NCF.... Cool story. Though he did still say, "If you physically built a pure qb it would probably be Marino." and I still don't think that's as outlandish a claim as you are making it out to be. 

And right now in particularly annoyed because now I've been having to defend that guy :P lol

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

NCF.... Cool story. Though he did still say, "If you physically built a pure qb it would probably be Marino." and I still don't think that's as outlandish a claim as you are making it out to be. 

And right now in particularly annoyed because now I've been having to defend that guy :P lol

Fair point….   And a good laugh to boot!  

And I’ll leave it at that….     :thmup:

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, it wouldn’t be Marino, because he couldn’t run.   Bad knees.   But do go on and on and on and on and on….

Doesnt the fact that guys like Brady and Manning and Montana and all the success they had and none of them had Marino’s arm tell you ANYTHING?!?    

The best weapon a quarterback can have isn’t his arm.   It’s his brain.  The great ones have a super computer that processes information faster and better than anyone else.   That’s what makes the great as great as they are.  It’s the one thing they all have in common. 

The great ones also had great teams and coaches behind them

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Marino had Don Shula.   Hall of Fame coach Don Shula.   He needed a better coach than him?    Seriously?   

No question Shula was a HoF guy and a great coach. But early Shula was a lot better than later Shula. He got away from earlier grind it out Os and good Ds, and got highly skewed to O when Marino was there. He also had 3 pretty QBs. His Balt days had Unitas (already there, already great), and a good D. Shula's early Miami days had Griese and a good D. Marino days were mostly about O after the first 3 or 4 years. And let's not forget, Shula came from the D side of the ball. 

I find it interesting Balt had Unitas (and a wide open O for the time) and a good D, Greise not so wide open and a good D, then Marino which was just mostly about O. I do blame a lot of the issues on Miami ownership pulling back the reigns (as far as GMing and spend) on Shula in the Marino era. But I also know that Miami did better early in Marino's career when they still had a semblance of D, and then the team just became a bit mediocre overall. 

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No question Shula was a HoF guy and a great coach. But early Shula was a lot better than later Shula. He got away from earlier grind it out Os and good Ds, and got highly skewed to O when Marino was there. He also had 3 pretty QBs. His Balt days had Unitas (already there, already great), and a good D. Shula's early Miami days had Griese and a good D. Marino days were mostly about O after the first 3 or 4 years. And let's not forget, Shula came from the D side of the ball. 

I find it interesting Balt had Unitas (and a wide open O for the time) and a good D, Greise not so wide open and a good D, then Marino which was just mostly about O. I do blame a lot of the issues on Miami ownership pulling back the reigns (as far as GMing and spend) on Shula in the Marino era. But I also know that Miami did better early in Marino's career when they still had a semblance of D, and then the team just became a bit mediocre overall. 

The biggest reason Marino didn't win a ring was because free agency wasn't a thing.   Those Dolphins defenses were terrible.    It had nothing to do with Shula

On 2/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, jvan1973 said:

The biggest reason Marino didn't win a ring was because free agency wasn't a thing.   Those Dolphins defenses were terrible.    It had nothing to do with Shula

I disagree on FA. Ownership really handcuffed Shula after Marino was acquired. Started stepping on his GM power, and also tightened the purse strings. Up until then, Shula was known to have good defenses. It got ugly between Shula and ownership at times over personnel issues and willingness to spend. 

Archived