Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's To Blame?/What went wrong? (merge)

JColts72

4 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Organizational meltdown. This Coach did not have his team ready to start the season, and then could not have his team ready to in the last two games to secure a playoff berth. I don’t believe we will ver be a Super Bowl caliber team with this coach. He cannot get consistency from his team week to week. His team again looked soft today. Ballard filled the roster without a true number 1 receiver and cornerback. He is spending too much time being clever attempting to unearth gems off the street. Too many excuses are being made for our high priced OLine that struggles to get us 1 yard when we need it. Really wish Isray would see the writing on the wall and make some bold decisions, but I think we will not see any movement because we won against the Patriots. A lot of players and coaches got paid and we are 9-8. So here we sit, and watch the Eagles in the playoffs with our first round draft pick.  Some serious accounting is needed. Any Owner in his right mind would deem this totally unacceptable. 

Great points all around. Colts have soft for years. Ballard likes to bargin bin shop usually. Would like to see Vic as D coach and good OC.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

I don’t think it’s Ballard, it Reich.  We still haven’t seen Hines be used a dynamic player.  That lets me know it’s the playcalling.  It took Reich 5 weeks to realize he had JT.

I agree, he shouldn't be canned (just yet) but he should be forced to give up the playcalling duties. It does not look good for him though, that we had back-to-back “win & you're in” games, and this team was not prepared to play or match the opponents' intensity in either one.

7 Pro Bowlers on this team (and several alternates)  and no playoffs is inexcusable,  and next season should be a “prove it” year for his job! 

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

I agree, he shouldn't be canned (just yet) but he should be forced to give up the playcalling duties. It does not look good for him though, that we had back-to-back “win & you're in” games, and this team was not prepared to play or match the opponents' intensity in either one.

7 Pro Bowlers on this team (and several alternates)  and no playoffs is inexcusable,  and next season should be a “prove it” year for his job! 

How many at offensive skill positions? None

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Man u r so right I bet after the cards game he sat the team down and said don't worry guys no need to being your A game against the Jags  and Vegas. Man stupid me.

Oh, see now I understand.

You're having an imaginary conversation with yourself and pretending things were said that were in fact, never said.

Everyone involved in building this roster. I can't narrow it down to just one person. 

Being built through having great/good players at secondary positions and a lack of playmakers in crucial roles has led us to where we are now. Some of that seems to come from what the fanbase wants too so even that requires a mindset change.

There will no doubt be repercussions from this failure. Whether that comes in the firm of a true house clearing from Ballard down or just tinkering around the edges with a couple if coordinaters carrying the can I'm not so sure. A bit of me thinks it should be the former but we're probably too passive for that.

This is past I know, but I'd like to vent to something that was totally avoidable, two winnable games went down the drain all they had to do was win one game(winnable) but due to incompetent coaching and an incompetent overrated QB that we shouldn't have traded for.  Reich acted on emotion instead of making good business decisions.  You have to look at why did they traded Wentz from Philly realizing he was still young, and was the #2 pick in the draft.  Reich thought he could mold this guy(Wentz) into an elite QB but that didn't work out.  As a result we're stuck with two(2) s..t heads.

Covid is a legit reason for this collapse. It impacted preparation, kept Wentz out of practice for a week which contributed to a poor game vs the Raiders, and even if Covid only hurt the infected players performance by 3-5% - it's the NFL - that is more than enough to make a difference. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Reich and Wentz.

2 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

This ^^^^^^^^ end of discussion

All due respect, but no.

There is more blame to go around than I can remember in a long time, and there are more fingers worth pointing than I can remember in a long time.

All three phases, all four quarters.  Coaching calls, player performance, calls by the refs... nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing went well today.

That being said, we do NOT blow it up and start over.  We really do have a good thing going, that was just a shameful end to a promising season.

3 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Of course Reich is not going to blame anyone but himself and this is getting old every time we lose. Reich was totally outcoached again, and this time it was an interim coach that made him look like an assistant OC. 

Second time this season an interim coach out coached our HC. The first was the prior week against the Raiders. 

The front office needs to realize that Wentz is a game manager in disguise and build the team and scheme accordingly. His athleticism and arm talent have fooled people into thinking he's a franchise guy. That can't happen to Ballard or he'll cost him and Reich their jobs in a hurry. 

The non stop ridiculous shovel pass stuff this season has to be a line in the sand this offseason. Treat Wentz like he's friggin Teddy Bridgewater or something and put the reigns on him. He can't be trusted but I'm sure they'll stick with him. All 3 are basically tied at the hip at this point.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

It's dopey? What's dopey is asking a top 5 GM in the NFL to be replaced.

In 2021, 33 agents were surveyed on 20+ questions and he was voted:

The best talent evaluator

The best general manager

And second among the most trusted executives

I’m with you in hoping CB is great because I love the Colts. I’m not sure why you care what agents think. CB is 41-40 — that’s how I judge him. He picked the coach and signed the players. We have huge holes at key positions and a QB we can’t trust and no first round pick. I hope your belief in CB, along with all the agents’, is well-founded. The 9-8 this year and 41-40 is the definition of mediocre. 

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Great points all around. Colts have soft for years. Ballard likes to bargin bin shop usually. Would like to see Vic as D coach and good OC.

The Colts had Vic as their d coach once it was so bad Mora got fired for refusing to fire him and lead to Tony Dungy coming here.

5 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I’m with you in hoping CB is great because I love the Colts. I’m not sure why you care what agents think. CB is 41-40 — that’s how I judge him. He picked the coach and signed the players. We have huge holes at key positions and a QB we can’t trust and no first round pick. I hope your belief in CB, along with all the agents’, is well-founded. The 9-8 this year and 41-40 is the definition of mediocre. 

very much just average record and now he has traded away our top picks for the draft

43 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The front office needs to realize that Wentz is a game manager in disguise and build the team and scheme accordingly. His athleticism and arm talent have fooled people into thinking he's a franchise guy. That can't happen to Ballard or he'll cost him and Reich their jobs in a hurry. 

The non stop ridiculous shovel pass stuff this season has to be a line in the sand this offseason. Treat Wentz like he's friggin Teddy Bridgewater or something and put the reigns on him. He can't be trusted but I'm sure they'll stick with him. All 3 are basically tied at the hip at this point.

They built a run first offense with the leagues leading rusher and pretty much did everything they could to ask him to do as little as they could.  I think they understand what he is.  The problem was the last two weeks he wasn’t even a game manager.  He was Curtis Painter he doesn’t belong in the NFL bad.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I hate to say it, because I've been a Ballard defender all year.

But the blame goes to Ballard, and the decisions he made last offseason.

QB Retires - Bring in Wentz

LT Retires - Bring in Fisher

DE's become FA's - Draft rookies, and do not retain the guys you had.

And what happened?

Wentz had questionable play most of the year, especially down the stretch, and incredibly in this game.

Fisher had questionable play most of the year, and incredibly in this game.

We couldn't get to the passer most of the year, and incredibly in this game.

Sorry, CB.  But this one's on you.

you are so right, those were his bad decisions

Looking back the past couple of years, we've let some pretty good coaches go, and replaced them with doofuses. We had a pretty good o-line coach. Look what happened when we replaced him. Who was behind that? Flus must have learned coaching from Jim Caldwell (deer in the headlights look). Reich is still praying that we will magically find a way to win.

Maybe we need somebody with knowledge, intelligence and professionalism - not just a nice guy.

4 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Well I’d say Reich will pass the buck onto firing some coordinator to make it look like he’s serious about getting us to a Super Bowl.  Won’t make a difference. Reich is not the guy. Don’t know who is, but I firmly believe it’s not Reich!

The only coordinator he could possibly fire is Eberflus - special teams have played great all season (except for last week) and he can't fire Brady when he himself calls the offensive  plays.

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Ballard now that I think more about it. Only 2 quality starters for the secondary since he got here. 

Moore, Ya sin, Willis, Blackman and Rhodes had a very good year last year. Take your pick. Few more than 2. But then I'm sure you will say they aren't quality.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

All due respect, but no.

There is more blame to go around than I can remember in a long time, and there are more fingers worth pointing than I can remember in a long time.

All three phases, all four quarters.  Coaching calls, player performance, calls by the refs... nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing went well today.

That being said, we do NOT blow it up and start over.  We really do have a good thing going, that was just a shameful end to a promising season.

That’s why I feel like even though Irsay should consider a coaching change with how the last two games went he’s going to look at the fact he thinks Frank is a good coach and Carson’s contract kinda locks you into him for one more year and say let’s run it back one more time but without a playoff run next year I think both Frank and Carson go but Ballard stays because this team does have talent and Carson will be viewed as more Franks guy.  

25 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Moore, Ya sin, Willis, Blackman and Rhodes had a very good year last year. Take your pick. Few more than 2. But then I'm sure you will say they aren't quality.

I posted this in another. You need to really look at his overall body of work when it comes to the secondary. He has only drafted 2 quality players. Willis and Moore are backups. Regardless of Rhodes playing. It has been hit or miss.  You look at his injury history. He gets hurt during games. He will not be back next season. Rock has improved, but he in my opinion is a number 2 at CB. Rodgers is a special teamer and a quality back up. 

1 hour ago, sb2001 said:

Wow, tooooo easy. All the blame goes on the chocker Wentz. No other option. 

I am not going to defend Wentz I was disgusted by him today.  Frankly that’s as bad of a QB play as I’ve seen since Curtis Painter was the Colts QB.  However, I am not willing to let everyone else off the hook.  

How do you not have your team ready to play two weeks in a row facing win and you are on scenarios?

How do you not get the worst team in football off the field on third and long all day long?

How do you let the 25 ranked defense dominant your o-line, which is supposed to be the best unit on your team, all day?

Everyone takes a bite of the blame cookie but yeah Wentz sucked.

Archived