Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's To Blame?/What went wrong? (merge)

JColts72

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Don’t forget about the 7 pro bowlers. What did they do today? 

Someone mentioned that a lot of them just went through COVID a week or two ago. We know at least one of them (Nelson) had serious symptoms. What's the chance they were not fully recovered? Because last two weeks have been a very sharp departure from what most of those players were showing all season long. I really don't want to give them that excuse because that type of play is inexcusable and if you "pass" the protocol and you are out there we should be expecting you to be playing well enough to beat a 2 win Jags team, but ... yeah... I'm just looking for something resembling reasonable explanation. :dunno:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Someone mentioned that a lot of them just went through COVID a week or two ago. We know at least one of them (Nelson) had serious symptoms. What's the chance they were not fully recovered? Because last two weeks have been a very sharp departure from what most of those players were showing all season long. I really don't want to give them that excuse because that type of play is inexcusable and if you "pass" the protocol and you are out there we should be expecting you to be playing well enough to beat a 2 win Jags team, but ... yeah... I'm just looking for something resembling reasonable explanation. :dunno:

I hear what you're saying.  This team was suddenly lifeless after that.  That said, you should be able to beat the Jags at 60%.

Thanks to the epic Colts choke, we now also have some of the worst playoff games imaginable.  Can't wait for that Steelers/Chiefs rematch.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Jason Spears says he has it on good authority Ertz wants to be a colt and he will be a colt next season.

That would be good.  Wentz could use a friend and someone familiar on the team.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Jason Spears says he has it on good authority Ertz wants to be a colt and he will be a colt next season.

I’m sure Wentz’s friend ($15 mil) cap hit will keep him comfy when he’s playing Qb for the colts next season!

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night."  (snicker)

Where explaining what happened yesterday might be hard, the reasoning on here is just really comical. I seriously can't believe I'm saying that. From conspiracy theories to fans jumping ship and everything in-between, the obvious reasoning has been really overlooked.

1) The RPOs. This is the "mantra" of Reich and Wentz. Its what Frank does and why Wentz is here, yet it disappeared 1/2 way through the season at least if not before. Disappearing as in no longer used consistently. Coupled with Wentzs refusal to game manage situations cost us a lot of games especially yesterday. I can count at least 6 plays, not including late game when the Jags went to prevent, where Wentz blatantly never threw a pass to a wide open back on a flair/swing route. The interception play especially comes to mind where there wasn't a defender within 12 yards of JT in the left flat and yet Wentz chose to throw to the 3 option on left side of the field. If he checks down to JT, assuming JT catches it, its a first down at least and the drive continues. This lack of taking what the defense was giving you happened a lot yesterday and not having the awareness to adjust once realizedthat the pass pro was out of sync yesterday is mind boggling and inexcusable from a pro team, coaching staff, and athlete. 

I saw a play in the Raiders game, where a Raiders dude runs a 7 yard straight line curl route and Carr hits him the gut as he turns for the 7 yard completion and I'm like,  why can't the Colts do that? This passing offense has been broken for weeks and all because the RPO/quick game has been cleared from the plan.

2) Defensively, outside of injuries, this defense has not been intense and playing with speed aggression at any point of consistently this year with the exception of a few games. Holder made mention of this weeks ago. Flus is not responsible for lackluster guys. Yesterday, do you know how many missed tackles occurred? A lot. A lot. Thats not Flus. Sure, he is responsible for motivating, getting them in position, etc. However he can't put the fire in these guys. That has to come from each player within, individually. The sense of urgency just wasn't there. 

There are some other smaller things but these are two main reasons we lost yesterday and all season. 

Where do we go from here? I think a few have already mentioned a couple things. Instituting an OC for real and adding playmakers at key positions. Reich and Wentz are here for at least another year so get used to it. You can't get rid of Reich and keep Wentz and the opposite won't happen based on contract parameters and what we gave up in draft comp.

The Colts need to find out why the RPO structure was cleared and hopefully when that answer comes, if it comes, the fans will be privy to it. It won't take away another disappointing season end but it might show at least an awareness accountability that might aid towards better outcomes in the year ahead. 

-Peace

• Nadine changed the title to Who's To Blame?/What went wrong? (merge)

Ballard should have pumped the brakes on the Wentz trade period. Wentz had one good year 5 years ago. After the injury he never looked right. The loss hurts but this draft and losing those picks will set us back big time. Could have had at shot at Stingley, Gardner or McCreary to solidify the corner position but hey we got Wentz. A NFL QB who literally can't throw to beat a blitz. Never audibles out of a bad play and always seems to audible into a worse play. Rivers was old as zoo dirt but he could read the defense like a NFL QB. Not a doubt in my mind we'd be in the playoffs right now with him and still have our picks.

Two chances to get your team in the playoffs and both times they come out flat. That's on the coaches so yes this is on Frank Reich.

Now, in reality, if he had a QB who had enough grey cells to prevent echoes in his head, the Colts likely win both games but Reich isnt getting a pass on this because he went to bat for this QB. This is his boy.

There's enough blame to go around, from defense to owner to GM and pretty much everyone but ultimately this is on Frank Reich and to a lesser extent Chris Ballard. That's the nature of the beast. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Two chances to get your team in the playoffs and both times they come out flat. That's on the coaches so yes this is on Frank Reich

It almost happened last year.  They had the epic collapse against the Steelers then played like garbage vs. the Jags.  Thankfully the Jax game was at home.

7 hours ago, #12. said:

That would be good.  Wentz could use a friend and someone familiar on the team.

No, THATS THE PROBLEM!  We brought in all of those coaches that were on the Eagles when he stunk and expected something different to happen.  Word is Carson also doesn’t like to be coached hard and that makes sense because throughout this year we’ve Carson make the same mistakes and Reich and get on the podium and pat his favorite son on the head.  

Ertz is an upgrade over our TEs.  But I don’t want him if that’s the only person Carson is going to end up throwing to because that’s his buddy.  Heck, Carson wouldn’t even throw to an open JT in the flat half of the time.

I do not want us to become the Indianapolis Eagles but it seems like that’s what’s happening.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Two chances to get your team in the playoffs and both times they come out flat. That's on the coaches so yes this is on Frank Reich.

Now, in reality, if he had a QB who had enough grey cells to prevent echoes in his head, the Colts likely win both games but Reich isnt getting a pass on this because he went to bat for this QB. This is his boy.

There's enough blame to go around, from defense to owner to GM and pretty much everyone but ultimately this is on Frank Reich and to a lesser extent Chris Ballard. That's the nature of the beast. 

im so disappointed in Ballard for allowing Reich to do that.  Ballard never wanted wentz.  What’s funny, Ballard didn’t want wentz for the same reasons were complaining about him.  Bad decisions, inaccuracy, holding the ball too long, etc.

If you were able to beat the Cardinals with missing all those players and lose pitifully against the Raiders and Jags -  means that the players were not ready to play those games. It was not the talent. It was all about readiness, strategy and putting the correct players on the field that would PLAY their heart out to win. Any NFL team can beat another team. It is all about who is ready and willing to give its all. At the end of the day, we were the clowns in TIAA stadium. The only player that had the maturity and correct temperament throughout was JT. Hard Knocks did not help to drive the urgency of these last two games. Players and their families were focused on looking GOOD.  Major Distraction in my opinion.

17 hours ago, a06cc said:

I posted this in another. You need to really look at his overall body of work when it comes to the secondary. He has only drafted 2 quality players. Willis and Moore are backups. Regardless of Rhodes playing. It has been hit or miss.  You look at his injury history. He gets hurt during games. He will not be back next season. Rock has improved, but he in my opinion is a number 2 at CB. Rodgers is a special teamer and a quality back up. 

Since when is Willis and Moore backups? Moore made the Pro Bowl. I think Blackman, Willis and Ya Sin are all quality players and quite young. Hooker was good until injured.

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Since when is Willis and Moore backups? Moore made the Pro Bowl. I think Blackman, Willis and Ya Sin are all quality players and quite young. Hooker was good until injured.

We draft Malik hurt. You see what happened to Kenny yesterday? He needs pieces around him back there. Rhodes is always hurt and particularly in the middle of games. Rock and Willis are quality players. They aren’t number ones at there positions though. We have no depth in the secondary. It’s shown since Blackmon was injured.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

We draft Malik hurt. You see what happened to Kenny yesterday? He needs pieces around him back there. Rhodes is always hurt and particularly in the middle of games. Rock and Willis are quality players. They aren’t number ones at there positions though. We have no depth in the secondary. It’s shown since Blackmon was injured.

Your opinion. Kenny Moore is a leader on the D. You picking yesterday as your barometer to judge Kenny? Name one DB in the league that can do it all along that doesn't need pieces around him.

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Chris Ballard Secondary

2017 | Round 1, Pick 15 | S Malik Hooker

2017 | Round 2, Pick 46 | CB Quincy Wilson

2017 | Round 5, Pick 158 | CB Nate Hairston

Doesn’t Draft one in 2018

2019 | Round 2, Pick 34 | CB Rock Ya-Sin
2019 | Round 4, Pick 109 | S Khari Willis

2019 | Round 5, Pick 144 | CB Marvell Tell III

2020 | Round 3, Pick 85 | S Julian Blackmon
2020 | Round 6, Pick 211 | CB Isaiah Rodgers

This is Ballard draft. Only 4 players the ones I’ve put in bold are on this team. In my honest opinion on 2 are starters Rock and Blackmon. The others are quality backup. I’m not calling them bad. I just feel they’re backups. Chris has missed largely on the secondary. This needs to be fixed. 

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

Your opinion. Kenny Moore is a leader on the D. You picking yesterday as your barometer to judge Kenny? Name one DB in the league that can do it all along that doesn't need pieces around him.

I honest made a mistake. Saying he was a backup. I apologize for that. He play has dipped in the last several weeks though. Maybe due to injury. Who knows. 

Archived