Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hard Knocks starts this Wednesday

Superman

Not excited that Hard Knocks caught that live, even if I definitely agree that the team should have been running the ball more in the second half.

I just don't want any part of potential drama to be catalyzed due to the show. Especially when there is still playoff hope if the Colts essentially win out.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's all strange.

• Him saying earlier he doesn't keep track of how many runs or passes
  • Him saying that sometimes people remind him to run
  • Him saying this week that no one reminded him to run, but Q clearly did lol...
  • Like you said, him immediately agreeing to run it when Q asked, yet he said we started running because they were backing out of the run blitz (they backed out of it a lot more than just that series BTW).
  • Ballard earlier this season talking to Montgomery about how he keeps telling Reich how special JT is (shouldn't it be Reich telling Ballard?)
  • Bubba, the STs coach, telling Frank not to take his foot off the gas

It's all weird. I think Frank gets too lost in the moment. Maybe he's in over his head trying to do too much. 

My thoughts exactly.  

Its when things get “dicey” that he seems to get flustered.  But he’s your man if you wanna gameplan a first-half.

Also, Sometimes you have too many toys in the sandbox and overlook the best ones.

It’s not the best look, and I’m sure he’ll get roasted a bit and feel the heat, but at the end of  the day it won’t change much in Frank’s inherit beliefs or values on how the games need to be called. Better or for worse. Something that caught my attention that another poster said was how much influence Wentz has on Frank’s decision making.

My best example is when we played the Ravens. IIRC we had decent balance, Taylor got fed, and instead of passing a bunch in the end we kept running which allowed them to get back in the game since it was getting stopped. Carson made a comment saying we need more of a killer instinct. Since then it teetered to more passing, even when running might make more sense…

Need to do some retooling during the bye week and solidify our identity. We are too talented only to be this inconsistent. 

Vindication! Kudos to Q for calling Frank out on what a lot of us have been saying for months now. Also good to see him going to Taylor to get him on board - that's a team captain right there!

I don't wants this splitting the community, but some of us has been saying this for a long time now and when a guy like Q calls Frank out there's something to it. Ultimately we all want the same thing - Ws.

Can we talk about Darius walking into the wall now... :funny:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think people read way, WAY too much into Q’s comment.   I think that kind of thing happens mire than fans realize.  Like when Frank asks Carson what plays he likes in a certain situation.   Or if Carson asks for certain plays in certain situations.  It’s a collaborative effort.   Q asked, Frank said yes, and it worked.  

Look, I don’t think Frank had a good week.  I’ve stayed out of most of the Reich talk because I think he’s earned much of the heat he’s getting.   I just don’t think this is the “bad look” people think it is. 

Can I ask you something? When you were in the media, did you do damage control all the time for the front offices of the teams you represented? I'm asking because you are the only poster on this site with that style. You always try to do "damage control" for Irsay, Ballard, and Reich whenever something bad happens with this team. I'm just curious if it's because you used to do the same as a media member in the past and now you do it here?

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

It’s not the best look, and I’m sure he’ll get roasted a bit and feel the heat, but at the end of  the day it won’t change much in Frank’s inherit beliefs or values on how the games need to be called. Better or for worse. Something that caught my attention that another poster said was how much influence Wentz has on Frank’s decision making.

My best example is when we played the Ravens. IIRC we had decent balance, Taylor got fed, and instead of passing a bunch in the end we kept running which allowed them to get back in the game since it was getting stopped. Carson made a comment saying we need more of a killer instinct. Since then it teetered to more passing, even when running might make more sense…

Need to do some retooling during the bye week and solidify our identity. We are too talented only to be this inconsistent. 

I don't think it'll have any immediate impact on him. However, if he does it again this season, I think he'll feel major heat from some people (including Ballard and Irsay). The game that comes to mind where I think he could do it again is against the Pats. Belichick will probably try and stop Taylor the entire game and force us to beat them in the air. If we abandon the run and lose that game, I could see some feathers fly. 

As of now though, I believe everyone is just being made aware of what Reich did, and that Nelson and Taylor disapprove of what he did. There may be some talk locally or nationally about it though if there hasn't been already (because of the attention hard knocks brought to it) and rightfully so. 

7 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

@Colt.45thoughts? @DougDew?

Shoot, made the whole series for me. 

I've not seen the episode yet, will watch it if i get some time this week. 

From the comments i've read here, I'm not sure what the big deal is....I remember Jeff Saturday and Peyton getting into a huge confrontation about running the ball after Peyton threw thrice in the RZ with no success. I'll have more context after watching but i'm not sure this is the big deal it's being made out to be.

Bury Frank for his team fumbling and lacking focus. They didnt lose because they didnt run more. They lost because they turned the ball over multiple times....it's no wonder their focus this week has been Dungy-esque i.e. cleaning up focus.

Is Peyton the GOAT? He knew a thing or two too ya know....as did Saturday.

And good on Q for voicing his bit, if it were up to him though, we'd run 50 times a game, we all know that right?

4 hours ago, colts89 said:

Not excited that Hard Knocks caught that live, even if I definitely agree that the team should have been running the ball more in the second half.

I just don't want any part of potential drama to be catalyzed due to the show. Especially when there is still playoff hope if the Colts essentially win out.

Exactly why I have been from the beginning and am still against this whole hard knock nonsense.

that said, if this finally gets Irsay and Ballard to realize they HAVE to tell Frank to hand over playcalling duties. Then so be it

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Makes Reich look bad on a few levels. 

Does it make him look bad or does it make him look like a good coach and is willing to listen to his players? 

My take on it is Nelson is just being a leader and saying hey let's run the ball with no options here and see how that works. 

What I find interesting is they didn't show the Hines fumble, but they talked about getting a stop From the defense. Well the defense got that stop and the Bucs punted and Hines muffed it. That was the final deflation of the team , pun intended. The kickoff return tried to add some spark back.

What is funny about some of the "fans" is that say for instance we ran it 5 more times and JT fumbled one or 2 times they would saying a different tune. Yes I think we should have ran a few more times but things were working. 

Just because something fits one side or another doesn't make it right or wrong. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s my thoughts. We don’t play complimentary football for the entire 4 quarters. 

when the Defense is struggling, we don’t do things to burn the clock. Or rather we didn’t Sunday and ive seen it in our other losses and blown leads. When the defense starts to struggle, our offense seems to go pass happy, putting a struggling defense right back on the field. When our scheme relies on near perfect execution and fast, fly to the football plays, the D will wear out no matter how good they are. I’ve wondered if this is our whole problem with our collapses. Frank sees the D struggling, so he tries to score more points as fast as he can. Instead of just pounding the rock, he goes full pass. The problem with full pass mode is magnified because even if you go 3 and out, you’ve burnt maybe 30 seconds off the clock when it could have been 2-3 minutes. 

JMV hit the nail on the head. This team resembles their coach. Sometimes they are REALLY good. Other times they leave A LOT to be desired.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s my thoughts. We don’t play complimentary football for the entire 4 quarters. 

when the Defense is struggling, we don’t do things to burn the clock. Or rather we didn’t Sunday and ive seen it in our other losses and blown leads. When the defense starts to struggle, our offense seems to go pass happy, putting a struggling defense right back on the field. When our scheme relies on near perfect execution and fast, fly to the football plays, the D will wear out no matter how good they are. I’ve wondered if this is our whole problem with our collapses. Frank sees the D struggling, so he tries to score more points as fast as he can. Instead of just pounding the rock, he goes full pass. The problem with full pass mode is magnified because even if you go 3 and out, you’ve burnt maybe 30 seconds off the clock when it could have been 2-3 minutes. 

This, i can get behind this thought. It's a chicken egg deal though. Is the defense struggling because of exhaustion or is the defense struggling no matter what? Because if it's the latter then no amount of running the ball is helping, if anything it assures you'll lose game by multiple scores rather than being in every game as we have this season.

This thought process should be examined further. Hats off 

20 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Does it make him look bad or does it make him look like a good coach and is willing to listen to his players? 

My take on it is Nelson is just being a leader and saying hey let's run the ball with no options here and see how that works. 

What I find interesting is they didn't show the Hines fumble, but they talked about getting a stop From the defense. Well the defense got that stop and the Bucs punted and Hines muffed it. That was the final deflation of the team , pun intended. The kickoff return tried to add some spark back.

What is funny about some of the "fans" is that say for instance we ran it 5 more times and JT fumbled one or 2 times they would saying a different tune. Yes I think we should have ran a few more times but things were working. 

Come on, he sat in his presser and made excuses. He claimed he gave what D gave him. He tried to suggest the RPO’s were called for JT yet JT never got a touch in the 3rd. We were wondering why JT didn’t get the ball, he said well I called RPO’s intended for JT….Q had to ask him for just 1 straight run. 

And what’s funny is JT didn’t fumble but don’t let that stand in your way.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

This, i can get behind this thought. It's a chicken egg deal though. Is the defense struggling because of exhaustion or is the defense struggling no matter what? Because if it's the latter then no amount of running the ball is helping, if anything it assures you'll lose game by multiple scores rather than being in every game as we have this season.

This thought process should be examined further. Hats off 

I thought about that. What I came up with is that whether it is fatigue or just flat getting picked apart, 2-3 minutes game clock gone still means the other teams offense gets less time to pick you apart on the field. All while you’re catching your breath. 

im not saying go full run mode here either. Or that we should just assume or play for a 3 and out. 

but if it’s the middle of the 3rd or especially in the 4th quarter, I’ve got a one score lead, I’m gonna put a run play on first down more often than I was prior, even if the run game isn’t working. Simply because it’ll eat 30-40 second MORE off the clock between 1st and 2nd down. Any pass play doing that is a 50/50 gamble. Especially if you’re one dimensional for most of the quarter preceding that. The average pass play burns 6 seconds if the all isn’t caught. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Frank is playing for first downs so your argument is moot.

Your point works for Manning, who thought he was a football god.

He did try to score ASAP, not because he thought his D was weak, but to show he could. And it did wear his D down, exposed them to the point of exhaustion.

As much pressure as he put on opposing D's with his passing brilliance, and with his "great mind", it made great sense that Manning could have been calling a lot more run plays at the line of scrimmage, that should have been effective, and controlled the clock that way, and protected his D.

That was the right thing to do in the team concept, but he likely would have won fewer MVP's, and i always claimed that drove him to win with his arm. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Frank is playing for first downs so your argument is moot.

Your point works for Manning, who thought he was a football god.

He did try to score ASAP, not because he thought his D was weak, but to show he could. And it did wear his D down, exposed them to the point of exhaustion.

As much pressure as he put on opposing D's with his passing brilliance, and with his "great mind", it made great sense that Manning could have been calling a lot more run plays at the line of scrimmage, that should have been effective, and controlled the clock that way, and protected his D.

That was the right thing to do in the team concept, but he likely would have won fewer MVP's, and i always claimed that drove him to win with his arm. 

Yeah cause having Wentz  doing drop backs and tossing it 30-50 yards is playing the chain game...

5 hours ago, J@son said:

of course it happens a lot...but this isn't a "hey coach, the CB has been cheating up, let's hit him with a double move" or "hey this Safety is cheating up, let's hit him deep".  this wasn't so much situational as it was philosophical

how bad this makes frank look probably is being exaggerated to a degree, but I don't by any means think it's a good look for him

Q was obviously a lil frustrated by it.  What we dont want is our players sitting around in groups 2nd-guessing our coach.

The whole “didnt realize we didnt run” comment is confusing/concerning to me.  Then Q pn top of that leads me to believe us and the free world arent the only ones thinking play-calling gets “lost” from time to time.

No big revelation, but fire sometimes precedes smoke.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think it'll have any immediate impact on him. However, if he does it again this season, I think he'll feel major heat from some people (including Ballard and Irsay). The game that comes to mind where I think he could do it again is against the Pats. Belichick will probably try and stop Taylor the entire game and force us to beat them in the air. If we abandon the run and lose that game, I could see some feathers fly. 

As of now though, I believe everyone is just being made aware of what Reich did, and that Nelson and Taylor disapprove of what he did. There may be some talk locally or nationally about it though if there hasn't been already (because of the attention hard knocks brought to it) and rightfully so. 

To the bolded, that’s the game where we need to exert our strengths and show that we aren’t going to get bullied into being one dimensional; especially with it being in our house. Even more specifically because it’s in prime time as others will see if the blueprint to stopping  the Colts is to load the box.  

From my POV it’s the defining moment in the season (or end of it) where Frank will be revered or chastised for the remainder of the games we play. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Kevin Bowen saying this morning nelson will tell Chris Ballard what he needs to do a lot too. It’s just his nature.

We all know it’s in his nature. I mean, he even told Luck not to give props to the opposing team during the game.

He’s also actually done this before too, told Reich to run the ball during the game.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

What funny is Kevin’s opening to his show is Manning telling Saturday to block and he will call the plays. 

Thr fact you guys want to make more out of it is funny.

I dont want to spend another day hammering the thing home so i'll let it go. Basically this is as @chad72 said, both sides can find support for their arguments and cling onto every little thing. No use carrying on.

We all know the stories of Manning and Saturday getting into it heatedly (even with video), we all know that you can argue that a coach who is willing to listen to his captains is a great manager rather than incompetent, etc etc. Nothing to see here really. Stakes are driven in the ground, tents are up, no surprises here.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This was probably my favorite episode because it caught a lot of raw genuine moments. 

The guy from hard knocks was on the radio this morning and said there is something cool and unique with the Nelson stuff because it proved this team is not a dictatorship. That it is a team effort. 

I watched it, we have a bunch of great character guys on our team. These guys would give you the shirt off their back. This team reminds me of how the Pacers were from around 1994-2000 when we had Reggie, Rik, and the Davis's. I met Vern Fleming at the INDY 500 back when I went in 1993 - Pacers were eliminated by then that yr. I was only 21 that May. I was lucky enough to have a ticket to a suite (got it because of a friend of mines dad ran 6 Waffle houses and made 6 figures, only time in my life I had that haha . Vern and his twin bro were in my suite. We talked NBA and Pacer basketball during the whole race. Vern could put the beer down, beer was free and so was the food. They had Hamburgers, Brats, and Shrimp up in there. There Hamburgers were like an inch thick. Whiskey's as well. I stuck to the Lite beer but probably had a 12 pack. 

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

My thoughts exactly.  

Its when things get “dicey” that he seems to get flustered.  But he’s your man if you wanna gameplan a first-half.

Also, Sometimes you have too many toys in the sandbox and overlook the best ones.

Aside from the getting flustered (which I agree), I agree he's normally good first half, or I'd say more often early scripting. This week's early script didn't really work though. When they came off script, things worked. I honestly thought he'd do reverse of what he did last week. I figured he'd come out passing to soften things, and then start inserting the run. 

To the bolded, some of the personnel usage is just so head scratching at times. Forgetting about folks situationally, or even for an entire game, or just plain using guys in ways they aren't really built for. Dulin for instance. He's a small fast guy (well built though). We've been using him for possession type stuff, and dirty work like rubs, etc.. We finally use him in a deep/speed vert, and boom. Will be interesting to see if we go back there lol.... They did mention they would try to get him more involved.

And they just said the same thing about Mo. When he's been a 1st read focal point, he's been very successful. He's absolutely killed sail route type of routes in a few games, we we rarely see it. I'm not saying we need to over-use it, but why not a shot or two a game. And just in general, we have 2 big fast guys (Strachan and Patmon) on the 53. I realize they may be raw, but they have traits that are rare, and be at least leveraged in some dumbed down routes/plays. And Hines' use and history of use is just all over the board. From "interchangeable" comments, and up the gut usage on key downs, to not seeing him involved much in some games. 

I know you can't use every player a lot every game, and I'm not asking for that. I just want more creativity, but I certainly don't want to ice talented guys like we've done with JT in multiple big games this year. GIve me a 50-60% pass ratio most games, but when you're in 70+% territory, it's just hard to justify if you're not playing from behind. And within the passing game, I love Pascal, but way to many 1st read plays his way.  

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Aside from the getting flustered (which I agree), I agree he's normally good first half, or I'd say more often early scripting. This week's early script didn't really work though. When they came off script, things worked. I honestly thought he'd do reverse of what he did last week. I figured he'd come out passing to soften things, and then start inserting the run. 

To the bolded, some of the personnel usage is just so head scratching at times. Forgetting about folks situationally, or even for an entire game, or just plain using guys in ways they aren't really built for. Dulin for instance. He's a small fast guy (well built though). We've been using him for possession type stuff, and dirty work like rubs, etc.. We finally use him in a deep/speed vert, and boom. Will be interesting to see if we go back there lol.... They did mention they would try to get him more involved.

And they just said the same thing about Mo. When he's been a 1st read focal point, he's been very successful. He's absolutely killed sail route type of routes in a few games, we we rarely see it. I'm not saying we need to over-use it, but why not a shot or two a game. And just in general, we have 2 big fast guys (Strachan and Patmon) on the 53. I realize they may be raw, but they have traits that are rare, and be at least leveraged in some dumbed down routes/plays. And Hines' use and history of use is just all over the board. From "interchangeable" comments, and up the gut usage on key downs, to not seeing him involved much in some games. 

I know you can't use every player a lot every game, and I'm not asking for that. I just want more creativity, but I certainly don't want to ice talented guys like we've done with JT in multiple big games this year. GIve me a 50-60% pass ratio most games, but when you're in 70+% territory, it's just hard to justify if you're not playing from behind. And within the passing game, I love Pascal, but way to many 1st read plays his way.  

I love the future of this team and even think we make the playoffs this year. I see 10-7 - that will get us in if the tiebreakers fall our way. I had us 11-6 before the season started. I did not think the Titans would sweep us is where I see my glitch on my game by game before season predictions. They really shouldn't of but that is a different topic.

2 hours ago, strt182 said:

Sorry, I disagree with the interpretation of Qs actions. I agree it's great for captain to stand up and say something. I agree it's good for a coach to listen. But being in a situation in the first place (25+ straight passes) that causes Q, and OG, to get so frustrated he has track the HC and tell him to RTDB, just isn't a good look. You could see the frustration from him. And you could tell in his comments to JT that he's trying smooth things over and inspire, which isn't an OG's job. 

Will some exaggerate the situation. Sure. But it's absolutely not a nothingburger. It is a real issue. You just don't ice your best player. And you don't win many shootouts with the Goat. And Showtime producers aren't *s. They obviously identified something they found odd. Showing the guy with the RTDB hat, showing Q talk to FR and JT. And the commentary after. And I'd be OK if this was a one time thing. But it's not. Far from it. And with all the other comments we've heard, there's just a lot of smoke. To me (and a lot of others), there's not doubt some growing frustrations from certain players. And it's not a stretch to think there's some from the assistant coaches and Ballard based on some of the other things we've seen.

And it's not really a good strategy to pivot to a "what if" RBs fumbled a few times if they got 5 more carries. I'm not saying JT is incapable of fumbles. I'm saying going pass happy vs the Bucs D is far more likely to generate turnovers than running JT. And Winfield is one of the best, if not the best, S in the league. And Tampa Bay's D is #4 in total INTs, and #7 in INT % (by opposing QBs). 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love the future of this team and even think we make the playoffs this year. I see 10-7 - that will get us in if the tiebreakers fall our way. I had us 11-6 before the season started. I did not think the Titans would sweep us is where I see my glitch on my game by game before season predictions. They really shouldn't of but that is a different topic.

We've got some very nice pieces. We've got some not so nice pieces. I'm encouraged by a lot of things. I'm discouraged by a lot of things. Most discouraged about bad and illogical trends on O (play calling), and D scheme. I feel overall that the team is being held back to frequently by non-player performance. 

Anybody who thinks handing it to JT means we wont score clearly hasnt been paying attention.

I believe he is leading the league in TDs. And he leads our team in TDs by over 10.

He is in fact, our best chance to score.

Again, nobody has said not to throw the ball. Nobody has ever said that. Nobody has even said not to throw the ball the majority of the time. We want some semblance of balance and for our greatest weapon to be involved in the offense, at all times. These are not unreasonable requests.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, I disagree with the interpretation of Qs actions. I agree it's great for captain to stand up and say something. I agree it's good for a coach to listen. But being in a situation in the first place (25+ straight passes) that causes Q, and OG, to get so frustrated he has track the HC and tell him to RTDB, just isn't a good look. You could see the frustration from him. And you could tell in his comments to JT that he's trying smooth things over and inspire, which isn't an OG's job. 

Will some exaggerate the situation. Sure. But it's absolutely not a nothingburger. It is a real issue. You just don't ice your best player. And you don't win many shootouts with the Goat. And Showtime producers aren't *s. They obviously identified something they found odd. Showing the guy with the RTDB hat, showing Q talk to FR and JT. And the commentary after. And I'd be OK if this was a one time thing. But it's not. Far from it. And with all the other comments we've heard, there's just a lot of smoke. To me (and a lot of others), there's not doubt some growing frustrations from certain players. And it's not a stretch to think there's some from the assistant coaches and Ballard based on some of the other things we've seen.

And it's not really a good strategy to pivot to a "what if" RBs fumbled a few times if they got 5 more carries. I'm not saying JT is incapable of fumbles. I'm saying going pass happy vs the Bucs D is far more likely to generate turnovers than running JT. And Winfield is one of the best, if not the best, S in the league. And Tampa Bay's D is #4 in total INTs, and #7 in INT % (by opposing QBs). 

I don't think much of Nelson telling Frank we need to run it. Nelson is our leader on the O.Line and every O.Line in the league would rather run it because it shows their dominance. This happens more than you think where O.Lineman get on coaches and QB's to run it more. This just stands out because it was hard knocks. Players used to get on Peyton for passing too much, Jeff Saturday got all over his butt one time because we weren't running at all one game. In the AFC Title Game on the game winning drive, Peyton called a play to throw it to Marvin and Marvin looked at him and said "We need to run it" that is per Peyton Manning's words who told that story. We ran it and Addai scored. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

What funny is Kevin’s opening to his show is Manning telling Saturday to block and he will call the plays. 

Thr fact you guys want to make more out of it is funny.

I'm very happy you find us funny.

We absolutely get a kick out of you.

Making others smile is a great thing. 

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Anybody who thinks handing it to JT means we wont score clearly hasnt been paying attention.

I believe he is leading the league in TDs. And he leads our team in TDs by over 10.

He is in fact, our best chance to score.

Again, nobody has said not to throw the ball. Nobody has ever said that. Nobody has even said not to throw the ball the majority of the time. We want some semblance of balance and for our greatest weapon to be involved in the offense, at all times. These are not unreasonable requests.

I don't think 1 person in here has said we shouldn't of run JT more either. If there is, I missed it. I am not sure why people in here thinks anyone thinks throwing it 25 times in row was the right thing to do. Not 1 person has said that. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think 1 person in here has said we shouldn't of run JT more either. If there is, I missed it. I am not sure why people in here thinks anyone thinks throwing it 25 times in row was the right thing to do. Not 1 person has said that. 

Welp, it isn't the first time JT has been iced, and there are a whole lot of folks (the usual suspects) diminishing it, and defending it. 

Deja vu back to the JB debate days.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Welp, it isn't the first time JT has been iced, and there are a whole lot of folks (the usual suspects) diminishing it, and defending it. 

Deja vu back to the JB debate days.

I even have said that pacing JT and keeping him fresh is smart but I thought passing that many times was odd and I didn't like it and I even defend Frank a lot.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I even have said that pacing JT and keeping him fresh is smart but I thought passing that many times was odd and I didn't like it and I even defend Frank a lot.

You're not one of the ones I'm talking about. 

But you do ride the fence a lot lol.

As a play caller, you are damned if you do damned if you don't.  In the first two games, people blamed Reich for running too much in the red zone and not being imaginative. 

I didn't like how the 2nd half of the Bucs game was called - regardless of how well you are passing it  you still have to situationally rein it in at times - but I don't believe it lost the game.  You have many other problems.  You could make a stronger argument that play calling in the 4th and OT lost the Tennessee game.  Outside of possibly that game, I can't say that failing to run enough has lost any particular game.  What I worry about now is Frank going to the other extreme and beating his head against the wall in certain situations with runs.  In the Bucs game, if you run on 4th and goal before the half, there's a good chance you get stuffed.  

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see this. We've seen Frank go pass happy with other QBs. Even Hoyer with no practice reps vs Miami with horrible run D. 

I just think Frank has a default. He certainly was pass happy when he was with the Chargers. 

For me the emergence of Taylor makes this… different. In years past he’d let Mack start getting something going, start getting in a good rhythm, and then he’d disappear for several plays and Hines or Wilkins would come in, and the momentum that was starting to build would grind to a halt, and we’d have to jumpstart it again. He’s never had a RB that is as valuable an asset as Taylor in any of his stops. But the imbalance seems to be more drastic this year than any time in the past. Having Wentz has made him even more emboldened to do it, even with an emerging game changing RB. 

At the very least, having his hand picked choice of all the QBs in the league (and I believe he would take Wentz above all others. I really do.) has done nothing but enable him to keep doing it.

I just can’t wrap my brain around him ignoring a game changing player like Taylor as an accident, or a strategy, or whatever else he claims it to be. He’s got his guy, and he’s ready to try and take over the world with him. 

Archived