Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hard Knocks starts this Wednesday

Superman

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have liked a bit more of the football stuff. 

Got to say though, the first part documenting our poor start was strangely moving to me. Ton of respect to Frank (and Irsay) how they tried to keep the team together and encouraged. Liked the part about Ballard being there in the tunnel to greet the players after games. 

Just rewatched it with a closer eye. 

Pretty bland, but enjoyable. Aside from some language, pretty much sterilized. Not a lot football stuff or insight to glean. 

Favorite part was Leonard. He's about as "real" as they come, and I love it.  

Got a chuckle when JT was saying something about he hoped they got the part about he dog's b-day... 

Only thing I was a bit surprised about was the hype they gave JT. He deserves it and all, just surprised they'd go that far out on a limb with the hype on TV.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I think it's awesome Darius has a Grand National.   My older brother had one in the late 80s.  I don't personally like some of the mods on it, but an awesome car

Pretty sure it was one of his Monte Carlos. He's got two IIRC. 

Didn't care for the mods either, but love he's making it his lol. Sounded like he put a cherry bomb muffler on it.

There's a good video on Youtube or somewhere of him giving an interview about how he spent his first paycheck, or maybe his first million. He goes through all his purchases including his truck and 3 or 4 "classic" cars.  

An observation (and opinion):

i understand the use of analogies and “props”, but......

sometimes i think instead of spending so much time thinking about, and making slides and t-shirts about “hype stuff” like  climbing mount everest, or “for the shoe” or “1% better every day” just focus on the bottom line.

Sure visuals are fine, but you put a player in position to make plays.  If they dont, they get replaced or you change things to help them reach their potential with their given skillset.

Belichek gets it (did i just say that?).

He’s realistic with what he asks his players.  He rarely puts them in position to fail.  And if they dont do the job, they are out of there.  The league’s best players all seem to say they were driven, in part, by a fear of losing their job.  

Seems simple, let alone obvious.

I’m diggin that Bubba Ventrone cat.

When he tells Frank the punt block went just the way they though, then looks at Frank with a fistpump gesture and says “Lets keep the foot on the gas”.......well .... he had me at hello.  We need that aggressive (in the right way) attitude desperately. Constant pressure. Both sides of the ball.  

We wanna make sure we keep this dude.  He’s got the “sauce.”

On 11/18/2021 at 2:22 AM, JlynRN said:

Great 1st episode !!  Very well done. Didn't realize there were so many Colts babies that players wives were expecting. I never really watched hard knocks before now, so wasn't really sure what to expect. Am excited to watch more epsides as they are released.

Yeah, they all seem to be girls to.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did some research on the Hard knocks series and most people aren't interested in it unless they are a fan of the team. It has been on for several years and I have maybe watched 5 episodes at most in the past out of hundreds. I am only watching because the Colts are on it. My point is, unless your favorite team is on it most people would find it dry or boring

Yes, you are so correct 

For what it’s worth this show may not necessarily be aimed at us on this forum. My wife LOVED this episode. She “watches” the games with me but this was different. She cares about seeing the players wives, personal lives, etc. if HK episode 2 was on at 1pm this Sunday she’d watch that over the Bills game.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Who in the world wants to relive the pre season and first month of the season again ?

I'm glad I don't have HBO Max.

With how crazy our off-season was + the injuries that happened right before the season (during preseason)

I ABSOLUTELY want to watch! You don't need HBO Max..

Enjoyed that much more than the first.

And wow, so enjoyable after a win like that....

• Loved seeing Frank get more emotional
  • Grover's cooking was lit. Great house party. He does what I do when I don't have time to make homemade sauce. SBR's+Butter+Cola.... I add some red crushed pepper and a bit of hot pepper though.
  • JT and Irsay's convo looked a bit awkward lol
  • Wonder how scripted the stuff is. Frank's dinner conversation with Defo showing up right when mentioned seemed very scripted. 
  • JT seems humble as hell. Love that about him. Hard working, gave credit to OL. And a beast.
  • One of my favorite parts of the show was JT and ? celebrating and singing one of my favorite old school tunes

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

• Grover's cooking was lit. Great house party. He does what I do when I don't have time to make homemade sauce. SBR's+Butter+Cola.... I add some red crushed pepper and a bit of hot pepper though.
  • Wonder how scripted the stuff is. Frank's dinner conversation with Defo showing up right when mentioned seemed very scripted. 
  • JT seems humble as hell. Love that about him. Hard working, gave credit to OL. And a beast.
  • One of my favorite parts of the show was JT and ? celebrating and singing one of my favorite old school tunes

Bubba Ventrone 2/2 predicting special teams mistakes. Wonder what he has in store for the Bucs. :funny:

36 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Bubba Ventrone 2/2 predicting special teams mistakes. Wonder what he has in store for the Bucs. :funny:

He's got a bright and long future IMO. Part of me wants him to coach DBs too, or maybe take over as DC if Flus ever leaves (he's not ready for that yet IMO). 

He's a DB going back to college. I read somewhere that he was a lot like Sendejo in college (known for big hits, and sometimes taking his own teammates out in practice). He's got some nasty in him, and he's really smart, and he's really a hard worker.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Bubba Ventrone is a star.  
you can tell.  
intelligent, passionate, prepared, energetic, and you can tell the guys like him.  He’s got the “it” factor, imo.

I think you can tell he spent time in NE.
At times , he reminds me of a younger, “less jerky” Josh McDaniels.

Wow, what an amazing episode. I'm hooked. I can see why anyone would be hesitant to let a show like this in into their facilities due to risk of it being a distraction. But as a fan of the team, I think it's a must watch. I love this team and organization. If keep winning this show will only get better haha. 

This post will be a bit long, but I have to put this show over.

Loved this episode.

I've been a Colts fan since 1998 (when Peyton became our QB) when I was 10 years old (became a fan when the Colts drafted Peyton during the draft), and I've been through pretty much all the good times of the Colts. However, since 2012 when we drafted Andrew, there has been a lot of bad times (mostly because of Grigson). Fantasy football helped me get through that as I wasn't fully reliant on the Colts winning and it gave me an escape.

However, the "with the next pick" series, and the "hard knocks" series have given me an in-depth look into the Colts team and FO, and how it operates, along with the day-to-day lives of everyone. It makes them very relatable, and it makes the team much more enjoyable because I gain the knowledge of what goes on in the facility. It's very fun, and I'm now smarter for watching. 

Also, as I watch more and more, I have started to get a little bored of football and put more of my time elsewhere (including baseball with my Atlanta Braves winning the WS). This opened up a new avenue where I could be more involved with the Colts as a fan, and I'm so proud of Ballard for putting together this team and Reich leading it every week. Sometimes you just need to see it personally to trust the people in charge more on a personal level, and that's what I got in this episode.

Absolutely beautiful TV. Along with the Bills win, the hard knocks series may have rekindled my love for this team. 

Thank you so much HBO for choosing us to be on your show, you really helped me connect with the Colts again! :) :thmup:

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I’m pretty sure none of it is scripted.  I listened to Bowen interviewing the director Wednesday (He wouldn’t even tell Bowen if he’d be in the show) and he said they have so much material it’s hard to edit it down to less than an hour.  

He also said they know when guys are playing to the cameras, and implied that usually doesn’t make the cuts.  

I’m waiting for a Q heavy episode.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m pretty sure none of it is scripted.  I listened to Bowen interviewing the director Wednesday (He wouldn’t even tell Bowen if he’d be in the show) and he said they have so much material it’s hard to edit it down to less than an hour.  

He also said they know when guys are playing to the cameras, and implied that usually doesn’t make the cuts.  

I’m waiting for a Q heavy episode.

I think parts are absolutely scripted. Go back and watch the dinner part. They start talking about Defo. Defo is then shown in the background. Then Defo walks up. Then another pops in after defo on q and within the narrative. Not saying the live locker room or field stuff is scripted, but the dinner IMO definitely was. Not buying the timing was just lotto-perfect luck.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think parts are absolutely scripted. Go back and watch the dinner part. They start talking about Defo. Defo is then shown in the background. Then Defo walks up. Then another pops in after defo on q and within the narrative. Not saying the live locker room or field stuff is scripted, but the dinner IMO definitely was. Not buying the timing was just lotto-perfect luck.

Lots of cameras, and editing.  Defo interrupted Frank’s story, if you recall.  If that was scripted, it wasn’t done well.  

Easy…street…no conspiracy here.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Lots of cameras, and editing.  Defo interrupted Frank’s story, if you recall.  If that was scripted, it wasn’t done well.  

Easy…street…no conspiracy here.

I watched it again this AM while prepping food. Looked even more scripted second time around.

No conspiracy needed. I expected some scripted stuff, so not shocked. It's not like a stretch to expect it. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I watched it again this AM while prepping food. Looked even more scripted second time around.

No conspiracy needed. I expected some scripted stuff, so not shocked. It's not like a stretch to expect it. 

If you’re saying the crew knew Defo was coming in, I’ll buy that.  

Hope you have a great T-Day!

48 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I haven’t watched yet. I haven’t felt good last couple of days and was asleep by 8 Lol. Will watch it in a little bit.

Get well soon! Big long weekend for sports!!!

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If you’re saying the crew knew Defo was coming in, I’ll buy that.  

Hope you have a great T-Day!

Yup, Defo and the next guy. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched last week but missed it last night. I will have to youtube it and check it out. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, enjoy the Turkey, Stuffing, Mash Potatoes, and seasoned Gravy. Season 2 Happy Thanksgiving GIF by The Simpsons

It was good. Had to watch it again this AM while prepping food. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I'm doing most of the chef-ing today... Just got done getting the turkey in the oven a a little while ago, and finished up the deviled eggs, and a few other things.... Now just got mashed tators and gravy to do a bit later when the turkey comes out. Can't wait to eat later and pass out watching football lol. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Reich set the meeting up between Defo and Bruce. But I wouldn't say too much scripted but as you notice the other guy who was a bills member but now with the Colts' joined them for dinner or whatever they had going on.  Granted I've not dealt with more then a couple producers but i could see the meeting "arranged" not really scripted. But i am sure they had a special room or before or after hours meeting at the location they was at. 

I also liked this episode alot more then the first. 

Archived