Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hard Knocks starts this Wednesday

Superman

The first episode was so dry. If I'm HBO I'd milk Leonard for every damn second I can get around him. He's pretty much the only player on this team with a discernible personality. Wentz is boring and dry AF. And this is coming from one of Andrew Luck's biggest fans.

This show will be a hit with Indy fans because we care about those players and coaches and the production quality is top notch as always, but for neutral fans that first episode was not great. There was a 25 second video of Leonard's kid drinking sprite... with no commentary in complete silence. Enough said. 

This is BTW in no way indictment on the Colts players. I don't care at all if they make for a great reality TV show. I care if they are good on the field. But we have to admit, HBO will probably have trouble generating interest for the show this season... but lets see. I'm definitely not complaining they are doing the show and I will watch every second of it. :dunno:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

The first episode was so dry. If I'm HBO I'd milk Leonard for every damn second I can get around him. He's pretty much the only player on this team with a discernible personality. Wentz is boring and dry AF. And this is coming from one of Andrew Luck's biggest fans.

This show will be a hit with Indy fans because we care about those players and coaches and the production quality is top notch as always, but for neutral fans that first episode was not great. There was a 25 second video of Leonard's kid drinking sprite... with no commentary in complete silence. Enough said. 

This is BTW in no way indictment on the Colts players. I don't care at all if they make for a great reality TV show. I care if they are good on the field. But we have to admit, HBO will probably have trouble generating interest for the show this season... but lets see. I'm definitely not complaining they are doing the show and I will watch every second of it. :dunno:

I did some research on the Hard knocks series and most people aren't interested in it unless they are a fan of the team. It has been on for several years and I have maybe watched 5 episodes at most in the past out of hundreds. I am only watching because the Colts are on it. My point is, unless your favorite team is on it most people would find it dry or boring

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Some cool insight.

The part where ventrone basically scripted the punt block.  Even mentioned Franklin should have an opportunity.

Also when Frank mentioned Meyer saying their D was transitioning to zone.

I also didnt realize Leonard had such a potty mouth.  Haha.  He sure is the motor that drives this team.  Love him.  Has a beautiful little girl and you can feel the love between them.  Nice moments there.

Its really cool how they set things up, and then the music during game footage is awesome.  Taylor is a stud.

As much as we love those Colts -produced videos at draft time, i think these are produced at such a higher level.  I think i’ve seen all the hard knocks.  HBO is no joke.

HBO is great.   But I believe they’re produced working with the people at NFL Films as well. 

That’s my understanding. 

I just love seeing behind the scenes stuff.

Anyone ever take a stadium tour?? Very cool if you haven't, you get to walk around the locker room and hop up on the podium where they give press conferences. Basically the stuff they've shown on this episode.

I like the show mostly for that aspect.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just don’t know why anyone who is a Colts fan who NOT watch?    

A chance to learn more about your favorite team?   You wouldn’t watch?

A chance to learn more about your favorite players?    And you wouldn’t watch?  

A chance to see the home life of players and coaches?    And you wouldn’t watch?

Even if you were convinced you’d “learn” nothing about the Colts, you wouldn’t want to hang out with your favorite team for some fun?     Really?

I don’t get that at all…..     :dunno:        :scratch:

I want to watch, but don’t have the means at the moment… Don’t have HBO and can’t afford Max… 

Just now, RollerColt said:

I want to watch, but don’t have the means at the moment… Don’t have HBO and can’t afford Max… 

That’s fine!   One hundred percent completely fine!    

But there are a handful of posters in this thread who make it sound like they have the means and opportunity to watch — but won’t. 

They have no interest.  They think appearing on the show is bad and wrong.   Completely negative about the whole experience.   Nothing good to say about this.   Those are the people I’m talking about. 

Believe me, I wasn’t referring to good folks like you.   I’ve been exactly where you are for many, many, many years!!    No shame in that at all!    :thmup:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

But there are a handful of posters in this thread who make it sound like they have the means and opportunity to watch — but won’t. 

They have no interest.  They think appearing on the show is bad and wrong.   Completely negative about the whole experience.   Nothing good to say about this.   Those are the people I’m talking about. 

Believe me, I wasn’t referring to good folks like you.   I’ve been exactly where you are for many, many, many years!!    No shame in that at all!    :thmup:

Thanks, just after talking with you, I dug deep through YouTube and found the first episode. Not sure how long it will stay up but I’m thankful to see my Colts! 

Yeah I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff. Really feel connected with the team.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So the people that have no interest in watching are....bad folks?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah I am not sure why some people think this is a bad thing? I just never watched it because my favorite team wasn't on it. I didn't see one thing wrong with it last night. I thought it was good. Seeing the players and their families off the field and how they live is pretty cool but that is just me.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

See, this is why I don't usually make a habit of watching Hard Knocks. I'll catch some here and there, but it's nothing I'm super interested in. All the human interest stuff, even the player personality stuff, it's not that important to me. 

It's cool for fans of the team, and as a Colts fan, it's somewhat more interesting when it's my team, but it's not why I want to watch.

I'm mostly interested in the football operation. The Colts are so straight laced at the podium, especially the coaches. And I don't think the beat guys do a good job of asking questions about football related stuff. So I don't think we get a lot of meaningful insight from pressers. All JMO. 

So Hard Knocks will hopefully show me more about decision making, strategy, who does what, how the team prepares, etc., and then we'll see that stuff show up when we watch the games. That's what will make it good, for me.

I generally don't care about players' wives, cars, their jersey numbers, what they eat, how they dress, etc. If I don't see a clear connection with the football operation, it's not for me. Some people are into that kind of stuff, so good for them.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

See, this is why I don't usually make a habit of watching Hard Knocks. I'll catch some here and there, but it's nothing I'm super interested in. All the human interest stuff, even the player personality stuff, it's not that important to me. 

It's cool for fans of the team, and as a Colts fan, it's somewhat more interesting when it's my team, but it's not why I want to watch.

I'm mostly interested in the football operation. The Colts are so straight laced at the podium, especially the coaches. And I don't think the beat guys do a good job of asking questions about football related stuff. So I don't think we get a lot of meaningful insight from pressers. All JMO. 

So Hard Knocks will hopefully show me more about decision making, strategy, who does what, how the team prepares, etc., and then we'll see that stuff show up when we watch the games. That's what will make it good, for me.

I generally don't care about players' wives, cars, their jersey numbers, what they eat, how they dress, etc. If I don't see a clear connection with the football operation, it's not for me. Some people are into that kind of stuff, so good for them.

Did you notice Ballard telling the staffer "I'm telling Frank we have a top 5 weapon in Taylor"... I kind of ... wonder if I'm reading too much into it... I wonder if Ballard has had some run ins with Frank about using Taylor more? 

Also... it seemed like Leonard saw the play for the Jags 2p-conversion before it happened from the sidelines. I wonder if he called it before they ran it or he was live calling it. He was saying "Shovel, shovel"

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Did you notice Ballard telling the staffer "I'm telling Frank we have a top 5 weapon in Taylor"... I kind of ... wonder if I'm reading too much into it... I wonder if Ballard has had some run ins with Frank about using Taylor more? 

I had the same thought. Also had the same “probably reading too much into it” thought, like it wasn’t a super serious convo the two had. But I can imagine there was a convo after one of these games where Ballard could’ve told Reich something like “you’ve got one of the best playmakers in the game, lean on him a little more” type of convo.

Am I just paranoid or did anyone else try to pick up on anything else opposing teams could take away from this and future episodes?

Like I doubt teams can watch this and piece a whole game plan together, but I was watching closely anytime there were player/coaches meetings without cameramen present.

I think there was a moment when Reich was narrating over a practice/convo with Wentz, and I was just sitting there like “shhh”

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't say run ins. But everyone knows that Taylor is the best weapon on offense, and games like the Titans where Taylor didn't get as many touches as he should have would obviously have prompted a conversation or two. 

And I think Reich wants to run the football, he's more of a run-first guy than I think he should be. I think he just struggles to get into rhythm as a play caller, especially when the QB isn't sharp, or the refs are calling bogus holding penalties, or whatever. I think going away from the run in that game is an aberration, more than anything else.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Am I just paranoid or did anyone else try to pick up on anything else opposing teams could take away from this and future episodes?

Like I doubt teams can watch this and piece a whole game plan together, but I was watching closely anytime there were player/coaches meetings without cameramen present.

I think there was a moment when Reich was narrating over a practice/convo with Wentz, and I was just sitting there like “shhh”

I think the team has final sign off on all the footage that airs.

If I weren’t a Colts fan I would have turned it off.  Boring for the most part.  Has to get better going forward now that the characters and team have been introduced.  HBO is hoping big time the Colts will go on a run or no one other than diehards will watch.  A few interesting parts like the special teams meeting and Ballard discussing JT and him mentioning to Reich he’s one of the 5 top weapons in the league.  Ballards way of saying run the damn ball.   

MOD NOTE

Please do not post links to Hard Knocks Episodes uploaded to Youtube or other sites. It's the same thing as providing streaming links for game. It's promoting a means of watching an NFL production/copywritten material through an illegal and unofficial means, which will result in the post being taken down and a potential warning/suspension issued.

I caved and watched it after hearing some good comments. Good stuff, they didn't focus on the actual games outside of a bit on the Jags from last week so you don't have to relive the 0-3 and all those games.

Everyone has mentioned Leonard and all accurate. Ryan Kelly was the funny one to me....he's one of those super competitive guys who are always right and always 'called it'. They're good guys to have around too.

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think it's awesome Darius has a Grand National.   My older brother had one in the late 80s.  I don't personally like some of the mods on it, but an awesome car

Yeah I thought that was awesome except for those terrible rims he had on it.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

What team in recent years has appeared on hard knocks and actually been a contender in the year or two that followed

Same applies to the teams having never been on Hard Knocks. Player now days are as much media darlings/villains as they re players.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Me too.

Btw, I've never watched a episode of Hard Knocks, not even when I had HBO.

But to those that do, enjoy.....maybe since the colts are featured,  I may take a peek?

Archived