Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jags at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

For all the nice playcalling last week back to the same old same old. I guess Frank didn’t realize after the first two series that the Jags were NOT going to let them run all over the field. Up the gut, up the gut to no avail. Jeez! It took the last drive for the Colts to start passing downfield. I even heard the boo birds at home.

Yeah, Frank's playcalling is really boring and unimaginative.

Listened to game live and have watched some of the game, but not closely yet.

Good win which we needed and really should win.  We seem to have the talent, bit its concerning how we can get cold so quick on both sides.  Are we not adjusting well? Not sure.

I liked the energy on all 3 phases.  Getting plays from some new faces

The play with Carson and Erlinger on 4th down had me shaking my head, but cooler heads prevailed and we took the 3.

It seems when unique situation happen at key moments we get a little “nervous”.  Carson gets a lil “jumpy” and Frank kinda stands there like his brain froze up.  I’d like us to be a little calmer in those moments and slow things down.  We usually try rushing a play or trying a trick.  Just het set, take a timeout if necessary, and run tour best play with your  best players.  Close out the game.

Overall, i’m happy.  They have a good , hungry defense and some playmakers on both sides. They always play is tough.

The real tests ate coming soon.... starting next week.

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you count Josh Allen's rushes.  If you do then count them for every argument.    

There is no doubt JA is a big part of their rushes.

Even if you add that in..... 14 total carries vs 27....

I don't care how you slice it up it's still almost 50% of their norm.

2 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Regarding Rock, he had a really nice pass breakup that saved a first down.  I think it was on third down.  It was a very sweet play.

Rock was really a shut down corner today.  Granted the Jags WRs aren’t much to write home about but it looks to have finally clicked with rock.  

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

The offense went to sleep real early and refused to get out of bed. 

The o-line played terrible today over all I mean Wentz had pressure on just about every drop back. I'm not sure what was wrong with us today unless the Jags just played that will on defense. 

13 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The o-line played terrible today over all I mean Wentz had pressure on just about every drop back. I'm not sure what was wrong with us today unless the Jags just played that will on defense. 

Seems to me we didn’t pick up the blitz very well. That includes backs, TE, and WR. Wentz mentioned they showed a lot of looks that weren’t in film. I don’t know if it was Wentz not getting them in right protections or just not executing.

47 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems to me we didn’t pick up the blitz very well. That includes backs, TE, and WR. Wentz mentioned they showed a lot of looks that weren’t in film. I don’t know if it was Wentz not getting them in right protections or just not executing.

I don't think I've ever seen our backs get bowled over so easily even when they did pick up the blitz. 

16 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

No actually our swiss cheese secondary/scheme blew big leads in both those games. Allowed 30 points and 400 yards to the Jets 2nd and 3rd string QB then almost let the Jags win today after leading big again. Those are things bad teams do. We are a bad team. It sucks I know and hard to face but its reality.

ballards draft method and dollar tree free agents is not working

Of course I went to the game yesterday and I watched part of it again last night. I’m usually one of the people that is unhappy with Frank but Jacksonville has been stuck loading up on high draft picks for the last several years and their front seven are very good. It was an ugly last 3 quarters but even an ugly win is a win. The team has to play a lot better in Buffalo next week.

19 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

An ugly win but better than a loss. This team has a lot of work to do. Still doesn't really have a killer instinct. Still need to get a lot better on both sides of the ball. We were fortunate to win.

I agree on both counts. The killer instinct comes from the head coach. I am sad to say there is a team in Foxboro, MA, who is developing a killer instinct right now. They put their foot on the gas and don't let off until the game is over. Are we prepared to play a game like that?

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brady who just lost to the Washington Football team today.  Not saying you will be wrong but if the secondary plays like it did today I feel better about that matchup than the Bills.

I hope the Colts are making notes from these games. The Jags beat the Bills last week and the Bucs have been limited two weeks in a row. Should be some good material in those tapes to help prep for the next two games.

6 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

JT isnt good pass blocker period.  Hines seems decent at it but he is under size compared to line backers and DEs

This is a reality that many here are not wanting to face for some reason.  I think people think that since he's bigger and has Dwayne Johnson biceps that he would be an effective pass pro guy, but that is not what makes one good in pass pro.  

Hines is a great pass blocker.  When he can't take someone on up top, he is a great cut blocker.  JT probably lacks the lateral movement to ever be a 1st class pass protector.  I bet he could lead out on a lead block effectively, but he's not good at shuffling and cutting or getting across and taking a guy on.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

I agree on both counts. The killer instinct comes from the head coach. I am sad to say there is a team in Foxboro, MA, who is developing a killer instinct right now. They put their foot on the gas and don't let off until the game is over. Are we prepared to play a game like that?

Yeah I agree. The Colts need to be more like New England. Step on their neck for all four quarters.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah I agree. The Colts need to be more like New England. Step on their neck for all four quarters.

While I despise the Patriots for many reasons (mostly their cheating and their history with the Colts) they do have the mentality that it takes to be champions. That no doubt comes from their coach. It literally pains me to give compliments to that man and to that team...but sometimes the truth hurts.

As I was peering down at the field from and impressive elevation, I thought for about 20 minutes or so of game time, "Man, everything I've ever said negative about the Colts this year and the players was just absurd."

Then by the end of a godawful game during the last 35 or 40 min of game time, I thought "Man, everything I've ever said negative about the Colts this year and the players was just absolute."

22 minutes ago, philba101 said:

While I despise the Patriots for many reasons (mostly their cheating and their history with the Colts) they do have the mentality that it takes to be champions. That no doubt comes from their coach. It literally pains me to give compliments to that man and to that team...but sometimes the truth hurts.

Had the same reaction, but got over it a few years ago.  It's undeniable, and then Brady is actually pretty cool since he stopped being so corporate.  

TB is the dirty old man at the home who doesn't want to use the filter any more. 

Even though it was ugly, the win Sunday was important. The Colts did get a little overall standings help today as the Browns, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders and Ravens all lost, while the Steelers tied an inferior opponent. The Titans may have a lock on the AFC #1 spot as their remaining schedule is not strong. The Chiefs (6-4), Buffalo (6-3), and New England (6-4) all benefitted from the five losses and 1 tie by AFC teams.

I don’t know if anyone else has said this in this discussion, but I thought the Jags blitzed us beautifully.   

Sure, we only gave up one sack — great.   But they pressured Wentz for most of the game so he was throwing long before he wanted to.  Very effective.  And oft times when they blitzed more than one guy, the first was picked up by a free blocker, but the second, who came a split second later,  would come in almost untouched forcing Carson to either throw too soon, or make him scramble then throw before anyone could come free.  

I was hugely impressed.   I thought J’Ville out in a clinic for us to study.   At least, I hope so. 

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if anyone else has said this in this discussion, but I thought the Jags blitzed us beautifully.   

Sure, we only gave up one sack — great.   But they pressured Wentz for most of the game so he was throwing long before he wanted to.  Very effective.  And oft times when they blitzed more than one guy, the first was picked up by a free blocker, but the second, who came a split second later,  would come in almost untouched forcing Carson to either throw too soon, or make him scramble then throw before anyone could come free.  

I was hugely impressed.   I thought J’Ville out in a clinic for us to study.   At least, I hope so. 

Colts are going to have to be ready for this against the Bills Sunday. Bills are going to try the same thing seeing how effective it was. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I was surprised to hear Colin Cowherd had the Colts as his 10th ranked team for his NFL Hierarchy

Is it really that surprising?

Most pundits outside of Indianapolis think more highly of this team than its own fanbase.

We are 5-2 in our last 7 games and shouldve won both of the games we lost. And weve been suffering thru a pretty bad rash of injuries along the way.

If this team was in any other city, THIS fanbase is hyping them up as a very dangerous team. 

This team is pretty good. They arent in the upper echelon yet, but they are certainly playoff caliber since starting 0-3. If they can beat top teams down the stretch and get in, they are gonna be scaring everybody come playoff time.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was glad to see Marcus Brady mention that coaches need to do a better job getting the ball out of Wentz hands quicker when teams are blitzing like they did Sunday.  That is going to be important Sunday against bills.

Yup. The Pats beat the brakes off Cleveland by doing exactly that. Cleveland's pass rush may be even fiercer than Jacksonville's and NE just sliced them up every time with the screen game. Then they made Baker look like the average QB he is. Someone else mentioned it but NE is loading up and looking very eerily like they did in the early 2000s. We've all talked of Bucs, Bills and Cardinals....I'd trade beating one of those NFC teams for beating the Pats in a heartbeat. They are the one team who you can be sure will pick on all our weaknesses until we stop them. I'm looking forward to that game the most out of these four big ones.

11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yup. The Pats beat the brakes off Cleveland by doing exactly that. Cleveland's pass rush may be even fiercer than Jacksonville's and NE just sliced them up every time with the screen game. Then they made Baker look like the average QB he is. Someone else mentioned it but NE is loading up and looking very eerily like they did in the early 2000s. We've all talked of Bucs, Bills and Cardinals....I'd trade beating one of those NFC teams for beating the Pats in a heartbeat. They are the one team who you can be sure will pick on all our weaknesses until we stop them. I'm looking forward to that game the most out of these four big ones.

Mac Jones, some of the throws he is making is like a veteran, to be honest, you have to see this dissected, it can be scary if he starts getting better and the Pats' D can maintain that high level of consistency like they have been (haven't given up 30 points in regulation throughout the year and the 2 times they gave up more than 24 points were the games vs Saints and Cowboys where Mac Jones threw a pick six in each):

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We did a lot of screens against jags but it looks like players just didn’t execute well. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe we should try it against Allen.

We did quite a good job pressuring Lawerence with our front but mixed in quite a few blitzes at the same time. I am surprised it worked on Allen. He must not of just took what was there and tried to go deep too much. Might be worth it to try it against him.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We did quite a good job pressuring Lawerence with our front but mixed in quite a few blitzes at the same time. I am surprised it worked on Allen. He must not of just took what was there and tried to go deep too much. Might be worth it to try it against him.

You guys think the Colts will make the playoffs?

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mac Jones, some of the throws he is making is like a veteran, to be honest, you have to see this dissected, it can be scary if he starts getting better and the Pats' D can maintain that high level of consistency like they have been (haven't given up 30 points in regulation throughout the year and the 2 times they gave up more than 24 points were the games vs Saints and Cowboys where Mac Jones threw a pick six in each):

It's smelling a bit like the early 2000s for sure. Offense does the job and doesnt make many mistakes. Run game solid. O-line solid, all that coupled to a stifling defense that makes QBs go thru a PhD of a game....yeah, it's not a given that Buffalo win that division. The Colts absolutely have to win against both those teams.

Archived