Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Titans at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

Just now, Riversrun said:

This team is just not talented enough and what a huge regression from last year.I see a QB and head coach and GM that are wildly overrated .

ballard let the media get to his head his big idea is to let two ten sack a year guys go and let injury prone guys start .  you cant just plug in pass rushers .  the roster outside of a handful is lacking no secondary or pass rush and no wr talent . even the offensive line has been horrible . every team has injuries no more excuses he needs to be on the hot seat

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

There was no one in 10 yards of Taylor. Instead Wentz throws the game sealing INt

Unbelievable 

7B89F479-A8E6-4B29-97F8-ABB662039C14.jpeg

I saw that exact same thing..I was screaming TAYLOR TAYLOR TAYLOR.

Uggh.... So annoyed..

This QB had no business throwing 50x today. This QB will be replaced the minute Chris Ballard can find a better option.

Had this game down as a loss, wasn't sure how we'd get it but i knew it'd be entertaining. These were two less than stellar football teams.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s time to admit what Colts fans don’t want too,  Tannelhill is good and AJ Brown is special.  This is not the same old can only run with Henry Titans.  They can beat you throwing the ball just as easily and proved that today.

Yes, fine. I'm not one of those people that thinks Tannehill stinks. But I'm sorry, if you're able to make the Titans one dimensional, as we were pretty successful in doing, you can't let Tannehill beat you like that if you have any ambition of being a very good team. No way. 

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

Yes, fine. I'm not one of those people that thinks Tannehill stinks. But I'm sorry, if you're able to make the Titans one dimensional, as we were pretty successful in doing, you can't let Tannehill beat you like that if you have any ambition of being a very good team. No way. 

That wasn’t a shot at you more a general comment on a portion of the fanbase who likes to say Tannelhill isn’t a good QB.  I only quoted you because you mentioned him.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

This QB had no business throwing 50x today. This QB will be replaced the minute Chris Ballard can find a better option.

Had this game down as a loss, wasn't sure how we'd get it but i knew it'd be entertaining. These were two less than stellar football teams.

I think that Reich is responsible for Wents's "panic ball" bouts. The Colts have plenty of on-field talent. Someone needs to do some serious evaluation of our coaching, but I don't hold much confidence in our ability to evaluate coaches.

10 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

catastrophic failure by Reich and Wentz. I hate when we have guys who are just competent enough to not get fired but not good enough to actually do anything worth a damn

Wentz should NEVER had been throwing it 51 times.. NEVER... He should have never been put in a place where he had to win the game. He should have never had that play call down by the goal line. We totally abandoned the run after early in the game. And we let them back in the game after being up 14.

9 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I thought today was a huge game not only in terms of standings and playoff picture but to gauge where this team is against a playoff quality team. 

Colts were fortunate with some big pass interface penalties and 3rd down penalties on the Titans. Regardless of the outcome/score I think the Colts are truly a tier below the Titans this year.

Kenny Moore was terrific today. He consistently stood out.

The defense was far from perfect but they did their job against Derrick Henry today.

I thought some were unfairly critical of Reich the other week with regards to the lack of rush attempts for Taylor given big passing plays and some penalties that week. The criticism is completely warranted after today’s game though. To say the offense was disappointing in critical moments today is putting it nicely.

Henry was major gimpy. Showed him getting re-taped twice on the sideline.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Thanks Reich. Wentz had some horrible plays but he shouldn’t been throwing that much to begin with. That last int was just embarrassing though.

Yup. Yup. Yup. Should have never come down to that last INT though. Why were not running it earlier in the game, or more in OT. Just dumb all the way around.

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I was Wentz’ biggest cheerleader.

He ain’t it.

This team just isn’t very good, and they’re going to be in a hole for a long time.  

Wentz was great early when we had a semblance of balance. Not saying he had a good game after the 1st half, but he was totally set up to fail today.

This is who the team is this year. Average at best. We let the other team back in despite their best weapon being hobbled. Let's hope we can get the wildcard but that looks real dim atm.

Our receiving corps is mediocre without Hilton and Campbell outside of Pittman ofc. Most of the rest of the receivers are just hoping for PI 

This defense seems to do a great job at beating elite rushing attacks, but decent O coordinators know that check downs are always open vs our scheme. Makes it so that Qbs like Tanehill can always comeback or keep it close until we # it up.

Pretty mediocre game by Reich and Eberflus overall, but they let % fall apart at the end and that's the one thing that I feel is the Colts biggest weakness now and going forward. Not sure if that can be fixed.

Wentz played bad at the end. Not a good look by him.

Well here's my thoughts

1. We need a WR that can stay healthy (Hilton and Campbell) and play across Pittman, I'm curious to see how many drops there was in this game because I can think of 4 that would have extended drives, that's not counting MAC's drops

2. Please Fire Eberflus his defensive scheme gives away way to many easy 10+ yard receptions, no excuse that AJ Brown has such a huge game, make them have to throw it to everyone else take away there best receiver.

3. There were some terrible calls by the refs this game, and how do you not throw that flag on the last no call PI the defender was there way to early.

4. You can tell Wentz lost confidence in his other receivers by the end of the game because he was only throwing it to Pittman.

5. That first Brown touchdown was ugly Rhoades gave up on that play

6. Thought we should of gone for the win with that last touchdown, instead of playing for overtime. our defense was not playing well and our offense was, you gotta like your odds to get that two point conversion.

7. We can't win the division now unless the Titans implode which I highly doubt

8. No we will not bench Wentz for the first rounder.

9. RUN THE BALL (although for the people that want us to run Taylor like Henry is ran, that's a bad idea. He doesn't have the body to run that many times without injury Henry is doing things unheard of)

10. RUN THE BALL WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE YOUR OWN 5 YARD LINE.

Just now, colts89 said:

This is who the team is this year. Average at best. We let the other team back in despite their best weapon being hobbled. Let's hope we can get the wildcard but that looks real dim atm.

Our receiving corps is mediocre without Hilton and Campbell outside of Pittman ofc. Most of the rest of the receivers are just hoping for PI 

This defense seems to do a great job at beating elite rushing attacks, but decent O coordinators know that check downs are always open vs our scheme. Makes it so that Qbs like Tanehill can always comeback or keep it close until we # it up.

Pretty mediocre game by Reich and Eberflus overall, but they let % fall apart at the end and that's the one thing that I feel is the Colts biggest weakness now and going forward. Not sure if that can be fixed.

Wentz played bad at the end. Not a good look by him.

Tried to play hero ball instead of taking what defense gave him

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm done with this team until Reich gives up the play calling.   A close hardfought game with a couple series in overtime and he rushes Taylor only 16 times.   Reich is not a smart man.

No, he is not a smart man.

He was only 6 plays smarter this game. Only 10 JT runs last TN game.... 

Probably shouldn't get a whole 6 plays smarter grade... cause he had OT too... 

Dumb AF... 

Just now, Riversrun said:

Can we address the elephant in the room ? The GM and Head Coach ? Can we all agree we need a new direction ? They have failed and have been given enough time to prove us all wrong .The Colts are a Cherry organization we all need better .

I wouldn't change both GM and coaches at the same time. It would be too hard to disentangle the real problems.

Frank didn't throw the pick 6 and he didn't throw into triple coverage in OT for the game sealing int.

This loss falls squarely at the hands of Wentz.

He's a game manager nothing more

And for the love of God can Wentz stop with the shovel passes when he's about to get sacked???

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Crushing loss.

At the end of the day, this team nearly always comes up short against playoff calibre opponents. 

We're just not good enough unfortunately. 

They were plenty good enough to win this one.   Reich took that away from them though.  

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

They really are just hoping for a PI

I swear our defense is built to play worse with a lead, because we force them to pass and we give up 5-10 yard passes all day, not to mention Brown was open all day

2 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

Can we address the elephant in the room ? The GM and Head Coach ? Can we all agree we need a new direction ? They have failed and have been given enough time to prove us all wrong .The Colts are a Cherry organization we all need better .

You fire both you are starting over.  Irsay isn’t going to do that.  Odds are he’s not going to fire either to be honest.

After the relatively good start, this is 2 games in a row now that Wentz has played pretty bad game in. I was willing to close my eyes to the boneheaded moments in last game due to the conditions, but today was just horrrible. 

This is the reason I was saying earlier that I'm not sold on him yet - because I needed him to show consistent growth and stable play. I wanted to see sustained high level of play. Unfortunately, last 2 games he's played more like Philly 2020 Wentz, he got lucky last game, not so much today. 

We will NEVER be true contenders with this level and inconsistency of QB play. Hell, we probably won't even get to the playoffs this year... With this type of QB and holes on the team, this will be our level - around .500 team and depending on chance/strokes of luck or misfortune we will be a game or two over or under. 

This is this team's level. Oh, and we are losing out 1st round pick(very likely top 15 pick) this year too... so even fewer resources to address some of the biggest issues of this team. :( 

Season over. Reich is too much of a detriment on the sidelines for us to do anything. He kills our own momentum. Abandoning Taylor too early and gambling on 4th down with a 14-0 lead to allow Titans a chance to make a stop and get back in the game. He lacks a common sense feel for game flow in my opinion.  

1 minute ago, Riversrun said:

I've not lost total hope with Ballard. But I will if he doesn't make some changes and right the ship.

I do think I'm about done with Riech. I used to want him just to give up play calling and focus on CEO type management because I like his personality and demeanor. Now I'm just done with him. Two bone headed TN game plans. Can't take anymore.

Brutal loss. Unfortunately, I am not surprised. A lot was made of the early schedule and I never expected the team to win them all, but the Baltimore loss really confirmed in my mind that we were not a playoff team this year.  

-  Wentz is who he is.  Very similar to one Andrew Luck, if you ask him to start throwing the ball too much, his aggressiveness is going to get the best of him and he will make mistakes.  The past few weeks due to a combination of bad opponents, game situation, plain luck, we did not get burnt by this.  Today we did.  The real question is why the playcaller (Reich) thought it would end well with Carson having 51 pass attempts when 2 of his 3 healthy receivers to finish the game were UDFA types?

- The defense is not good enough.  Plain and simple.  I understand the last 10 points were due to Wentz INTs, but they cannot do a darn thing to close out, change momentum, exert control of the game especially against good/playoff type teams.  The real question here is why is this unit what it is with no impact game changing pass rusher, after 5 years of "build through the draft", "locker room culture" and whatever media fed line you want with Greatest GM ever Chris Ballard?

- Yes, the playoffs may still be a possibility mathematically and plenty of season left, but shouldn't this franchise be aiming higher after 5 years of the same GM, 4 years of the same HC considering the resume/accomplishments include an unspectacular 0 division titles, 1 playoff win and 2 playoff appearances in 4 years?  Keep in mind 7 out of 16 teams now qualify for the playoffs.  This is not the 1980's NFL.  Making the playoffs and being satisfied with it is that same as being happy being average.  Starting to worry this franchise is stuck in a perpetual mediocrity cycle that we were between the late 80s and early 90s.  

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

This was on Reich. Nor Wentz. No QB is going to win throwing that much.

Archived