Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hines signs 3 year 18 million extension

Restinpeacesweetchloe

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems like Ballard still needs to figure out our future CB before we are really SB contenders. I think we are making the right steps at DE. But seems that CB spot will continue to cost us until Ballard figures it out. But that doesn’t mean for me that Hines shouldn’t of been extended.

I think Ballard will find out a lot about our CB situation this year.  He will hit FA again if need be.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think I've ever seen their valuation prediction be accurate.

They're hit or miss, just like ST.

Not going to lose sleep regardless. I love Hines. Just hope he stays healthy and produces to the level of his salary.

And hope the dollar allotment doesn't impact other areas of the team in the future. At least JT and Mack are on the cheap.

46 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Yes Sir!  So happy for Hines and agree, I didn't think that Kelly's restructure was relevant to Hines...

Where do you think the money came from?  

I don’t think we had it before, but we did once we restructured Kelly.

Superman is probably right….  We’ll find out once the details are released in a week or so….  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Superman is probably right….  We’ll find out once the details are released in a week or so….  

Fat fingers, I was agreeing with you that I didn't think that the money came from the Kelly restructure, yet it may have?...ahhh, the internet ;)

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I am actually surprised it was that much. Thought it might be a couple million less per year so glad we get to see if smiling face the next four seasons.

I see why you thought that.  The Patriots got James White, a similar player, for 3/12.  But Hines is a more explosive runner than White and Hines is younger so I can see why they arriived at this number.

50 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems like Ballard still needs to figure out our future CB before we are really SB contenders. I think we are making the right steps at DE. But seems that CB spot will continue to cost us until Ballard figures it out. But that doesn’t mean for me that Hines shouldn’t of been extended.

The CB position is tough for most every team now with the new rules.    How many dominant corners are there?

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

So now tied-ish with Ekeler, right behind Saquon Barkley (10th), and right ahead of Kareem Hunt.

I'm very happy he's locked up and will be a Colt for the next three years.

I'm am a bit surprised we made him a top 10ish paid RB though.

2 Full years guaranteed is more than I expected too.

Yeah I was surprised to see the amount too

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The CB position is tough for most every team now with the new rules.    How many dominant corners are there?

You are right about that. The quarterbacks and WR are so good then add on the rules. Evidence last night with that non OPI. This is one reason you have to be good on offense because you are going to have to really put up a lot of points against certain teams.

Wow

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah I was surprised to see the amount too

Not a huge deal. I was hoping 4-5M. So only 3-6M more over 3 years. 

We're riding JT and Mack's cheap contracts, so it doesn't put us out of whack from a position group spend. 

Mostly thought we'd wait till after the season.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

He’ll draft a couple next year.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems like that might be our final step. If Campbell can stay healthy with Pittman our WR group for the future should be bright. May need to find a TY replacement next year in the draft and hope that we can keep Pascal.

We certainly need to draft a longterm playmaker to start opposite MPJ on the outside. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Pittman will pan out, it usually takes a WR 3 years before they take off. Reggie Wayne wasn't good until year 3. Pitt should be better this upcoming season.

I sure hope that’s the case, along with both Wentz and Eric Fisher panning out. That way Ballard can focus on CB and WR in the 2022 draft. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I sure hope that’s the case, along with both Wentz and Eric Fisher panning out. That way Ballard can focus on CB and WR in the 2022 draft. 

Granson may end up being good, jury is still out on that one but if he does that will help matters obviously. Having a good TE, especially in the redzone is huge.

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We certainly need to draft a longterm playmaker to start opposite MPJ on the outside. 

That is why I said if Campbell stays healthy. This is probably his last chance this year. He can be that guy but just has to stay healthy. But I also see your point he is more a slot guy so need to find another outside guy. Going to be fun to see how Strachan develops.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems like that might be our final step. If Campbell can stay healthy with Pittman our WR group for the future should be bright. May need to find a TY replacement next year in the draft and hope that we can keep Pascal.

Scares me because we're bad at recruiting WRs.  I still feel sick every time I realize we could have had Metcalf instead of Campbell, but then again you don't expect a player to break two or three bones in a season.  He may still be good but I feel like I've seen more of Eason than Campbell.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Pittman will pan out, it usually takes a WR 3 years before they take off. Reggie Wayne wasn't good until year 3. Pitt should be better this upcoming season.

That’s not really the case anymore. WRs transition much earlier than in the past. This year should be Pitt’s biggest leap, assuming he’s not catching passes from Ehlinger or something crazy like that.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So now tied-ish with Ekeler, right behind Saquon Barkley (10th), and right ahead of Kareem Hunt.

I'm very happy he's locked up and will be a Colt for the next three years.

I'm am a bit surprised we made him a top 10ish paid RB though.

2 Full years guaranteed is more than I expected too.

It’s an overpay relative to the position, but it’s also a small contract overall, so it doesn’t really matter. 

Guys like Ekeler and Hunt are a tier or two above Hines. So this is really a great deal for him, especially when Jamaal Williams gets 2/$6M. 

After taking the cautious route with Mack, I am most surprised they did this now. It’s very similar to what CHI did with Cohen last year and if I had to guess, that Cohen deal was the precedent and framework for this deal. 

But I figured they would want to see him play with Wentz. 

Now I am very curious to see what they do with Taylor when he’s eligible after 2022. 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Granson may end up being good, jury is still out on that one but if he does that will help matters obviously. Having a good TE, especially in the redzone is huge.

I think there is unique correlation to Hines and Granson in that both their pre seasons were uninspiring. 

There are some on here who wanted Hines cut after his fumble and drops issues in his rookie pre season. No one will admit to those posts today but they were on here. 

I saw at least one post on Granson who predicted he would not make the 53. 

I personally think Granson has the ability to be the playmaking TE that Ebron was in 2018. I am intrigued with his athletic ability. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think there is unique correlation to Hines and Granson in that both their pre seasons were uninspiring. 

There are some on here who wanted Hines cut after his fumble and drops issues in his rookie pre season. No one will admit to those posts today but they were on here. 

I saw at least one post on Granson who predicted he would not make the 53. 

I personally think Granson has the ability to be the playmaking TE that Ebron was in 2018. I am intrigued with his athletic ability. Time will tell. 

Yeah I remember when some on here wanted Hines cut because of fumbling issues in the pre-season as well. Some just don't have patience in here as you know. I am glad you brought that up because you remembered it like I did. Hines is a beast now. I agree about Granson, he has great talent.

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

That’s not really the case anymore. WRs transition much earlier than in the past. This year should be Pitt’s biggest leap, assuming he’s not catching passes from Ehlinger or something crazy like that.

I usually give players 3 years before I say, well he just doesn't cut it. I do the same thing in the NBA and Baseball. Of course in year 2 one should improve but by year 3 you know what you got normally.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

$6m signing bonus, so his 2021 cap hit will go up $1.5m.

My guess in structure would be this:

2021 - $2.183 base $1.681m SB - Cap hit - $3.864m

2022 - $4.2m base $1.5m SB - Cap hit - $5.7m($8.7m dead cap)

2023 - $4.2m base $1.5m SB - Cap hit - $5.7m($3m dead cap)

2024 - $4.2m base $1.5m SB - Cap hit - $5.7m($1.5m dead cap)

Those $4.2m base could be structured other ways but this will be something like this.

Archived