Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard and Frank Reich given extensions through 2026

Mel Kiper's Hair

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News. Ballard has been this franchises savior. I legitimately believe that. I can’t believe some people in here would even entertain wanting Grigson over Ballard. Frank Reich seems like a home run of a coach as well. 

Is there anything worse then a franchise who has to start over every 2-3 years with a new GM and HC? 

Ballard - Conversation for best GM in all of football.

Reich - Good offensive coach that is still growing. 

Luck's retirement pretty much guranteed them an extension. 

(not that they didn't deserve one regardless)

Not surprising. Irsay did this with Grigson and Pagano after their 4th seasons as well, even amid a much different atmosphere. IIRC, it was also a 5-year extension.

Things can obviously change, but if I had to bet on it, at least Ballard will still be here unless he leaves on his own. With HCs, it's a bit more difficult to know.

I don't really like the timeframe v what's been accomplished. That's my first gut take. 

Probably a good move to lock em up and allow the brass to keep perspective about what they're building, but 5 years, based on no AFCS titles, one playoff win.. They wouldn't have gotten 5 years from me. 2/3 year extension would be more my speed.

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Anyone know if these were both in contract years, or were these ahead of schedule.

It's one year ahead of schedule...which seems to be Irsay's style. This upcoming season would have been contract year.

Edit: That was for Ballard. No clue about Reich, but I would assume his contract lined up with Ballard's.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

My favorite part about this is that it buys them the time to actually go draft and develop a QB now.

No longer should we be hearing about how it could cost them their jobs...because their salaries are now gtd for 5 more years. 

They just went and got a QB

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't really like the timeframe v what's been accomplished. That's my first gut take. 

Probably a good move to lock em up and allow the brass to keep perspective about what they're building, but 5 years, based on no AFCS titles, one playoff win.. They wouldn't have gotten 5 years from me. 2/3 year extension would be more my speed.

It's not my money, but my gut agrees with your gut. 

However, considering Irsay gave Grigson and Pagano four-year extensions, this isn't all that surprising. And it definitely lets them keep building the roster in their way, which we will hopefully get to see reach its ceiling.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They just went and got a QB

They did get a vet QB. But he is currently on the shelf after having foot surgery and coming off a terrible season.

If Wentz is the guy, he will be the guy. I don't think he will be, but I will either be right or wrong on that.

Really what I am saying is that if he is the guy...then great. But if he isn't, then they now have the time and security to get a bit more aggressive in the draft if need be, which according to their quotes, was perhaps not something they felt they had before.

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I agree. I like them both as leaders and as men of character. I am glad that they are not coaching or managing other franchises besides the Colts. But, this is a performance business; sooner rather than later, the Colts will need to have something to show for all of their efforts. If they can't prove that they can win the division consistently, or at least make an extended playoff run, that might not be enough. Is it good enough for the Colts to just be a good team with good coaches and managers every year?  Or is the goal to become a dominant team who consistently competes on a championship level? I guess that question can only be answered by the ownership and management. 

7 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree. I like them both as leaders and as men of character. I am glad that they are not coaching or managing other franchises besides the Colts. But, this is a performance business; sooner rather than later, the Colts will need to have something to show for all of their efforts. If they can't prove that they can win the division consistently, or at least make an extended playoff run, that might not be enough. Is it good enough for the Colts to just be a good team with good coaches and managers every year?  Or is the goal to become a dominant team who consistently competes on a championship level? I guess that question can only be answered by the ownership and management. 

That has to be viewed "big picture" style.   Lucks retirement  put the team in a rough spot.  The team is still winning enough to not have a high enough draft pick to get one of the best QB's in the drafts.  A lot is riding on Wentz but I think Reich and Ballard may have a couple years even if he doesn't work out.  

18 minutes ago, philba101 said:

The goal is to win a SB and Irsay thinks this is a move to do so- Say what you want about Jim, but he's into winning, I'm not worried about that. I'm really just looking at the past performance justifying that long of an extension. 5 years is big. We'll see. It's more good than anything else though.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

That has to be viewed "big picture" style.   Lucks retirement  put the team in a rough spot.  The team is still winning enough to not have a high enough draft pick to get one of the best QB's in the drafts.  A lot is riding on Wentz but I think Reich and Ballard may have a couple years even if he doesn't work out.  

I agree. Luck's unexpected retirement was a critical setback for the franchise. When you spend that much money, time, and effort on selecting a #1 draft pick, and it looks as if he is going to be able to fulfill that promise by playing at a very high level, and then all of the sudden he is gone, that is a crushing blow to a team. The timing of his retirement just seemed to add insult to injury. Had Luck retired right after his final season, then you give your franchise a chance to reload by drafting, trading for, or acquiring a new QB in free agency. But quitting on your team two weeks before the season starts is almost unforgivable in football terms. That is why I would not support the Colts bringing Luck back if he would ever want to play again. That being said, I am pulling for Reich and Ballard. I don't know if Wentz is the answer or not, but I bet we are about to find out real soon!

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

You try making a championship game with Jacoby Brissett and 90 year old Phillip Rivers at QB lol.

26 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree. Luck's unexpected retirement was a critical setback for the franchise. When you spend that much money, time, and effort on selecting a #1 draft pick, and it looks as if he is going to be able to fulfill that promise by playing at a very high level, and then all of the sudden he is gone, that is a crushing blow to a team. The timing of his retirement just seemed to add insult to injury. Had Luck retired right after his final season, then you give your franchise a chance to reload by drafting, trading for, or acquiring a new QB in free agency. But quitting on your team two weeks before the season starts is almost unforgivable in football terms. That is why I would not support the Colts bringing Luck back if he would ever want to play again. That being said, I am pulling for Reich and Ballard. I don't know if Wentz is the answer or not, but I bet we are about to find out real soon!

I agree except I would welcome Luck back in a heartbeat.  Just because he is a good QB and this team would be contenders with a QB of his status.  

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

They did get a vet QB. But he is currently on the shelf after having foot surgery and coming off a terrible season.

If Wentz is the guy, he will be the guy. I don't think he will be, but I will either be right or wrong on that.

Really what I am saying is that if he is the guy...then great. But if he isn't, then they now have the time and security to get a bit more aggressive in the draft if need be, which according to their quotes, was perhaps not something they felt they had before.

It's Carsons job for at least the next 2 years.  

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

But does it really matter though? Contracts to GM and HC doesn’t count against any team cap - they are in a sense just paid by Irsay. If it doesn’t work out and they get fired, the hit is on Irsay not the team. 

Well deserved for both Ballard and Reich. All that is needed to complete the journey to a Super Bowl is figuring out that franchise QB. Hoping that Wentz can stay healthy and be that guy. If for whatever reason he can't, a possible trade up in the draft for a top prospect should be entertained either in 2022 or 2023.

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Well deserved for both Ballard and Reich. All that is needed to complete the journey to a Super Bowl is figuring out that franchise QB. Hoping that Wentz can stay healthy and be that guy. If for whatever reason he can't, a possible trade up in the draft for a top prospect should be entertained either in 2022 or 2023.

I pretty much agree.   Unless their is a free agent QB available to sign.    I hate the thought of giving up 1st and second round picks to move up when Ballard is so good at drafting in those rounds.

Archived