Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA started today-player interviews

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Is Dayo going to be able to play edge or is he just a backup to Buckner.

He can do it all. Id say right now if he were healthy he could impact from the interior the fastest. They want him rushing from the edge as well. In my opinion he can do that but needs a bit of rush technique work and coaching on hand play.

Dayo was drafted to be a DE that has the ability to slide inside on passing downs ala Autry/Sheard. Then you'd have Turay, Paye, Buckner and Dayo all getting after the QB at once.......on paper that looks amazing!

TY on this one year contract very well could retire after hitting these personal milestones: 

24 receptions to pass Raymond Berry for 3rd all-time in Colts history

641 yards to top 10,000 for his career and make the Colts the ONLY team in NFL history with 3 10k+ receivers

However, he needs 19 TD's to take over 3rd place......

If he switched to run strictly out of the slot he could play another 2 years at a pretty good pace and would put him up with Marvin and Reggie with HOF numbers......

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Dayo was drafted to be a DE that has the ability to slide inside on passing downs ala Autry/Sheard. Then you'd have Turay, Paye, Buckner and Dayo all getting after the QB at once.......on paper that looks amazing!

TY on this one year contract very well could retire after hitting these personal milestones: 

24 receptions to pass Raymond Berry for 3rd all-time in Colts history

641 yards to top 10,000 for his career and make the Colts the ONLY team in NFL history with 3 10k+ receivers

However, he needs 19 TD's to take over 3rd place......

If he switched to run strictly out of the slot he could play another 2 years at a pretty good pace and would put him up with Marvin and Reggie with HOF numbers......

You got Rochelle and Lewis on the edge as well in those rotations.

After what I've seen after 3 days can be boiled down to 2 things. 1. The Colts in general appear to be fast which never hurts. and 2. There is a lot of smiling, and they look like they're having some fun being out there. That never hurts either.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

George Bremer  said it was a quick practice and wasn’t much to see. All they are basically doing is throwing into air. No offense vs defense or anything.  Just basic drills. 

That sounds very uneventful. Wondering why the media was let in on such a dull day. Oh well...

8 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

That sounds very uneventful. Wondering why the media was let in on such a dull day. Oh well...

These 2 weeks are going to be pretty much the same thing. No pads, no offense vs defense, just working out and some individual drills. It's a lot of individual work and playbook install walkthroughs.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

They won’t being doing much during OTA. Ballard and Reich agreed with the players it would be scaled down.  We will probably have to wait until TC to get much info. I hope fans can be back st camp. Always fun to hear their reactions.

12 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I 100% agree with this. I wished for this last year with Rivers as well. Once Campbell went down I thought for sure TY was getting pushed to the slot and I was disappointed. He would become more valuable IMO going across the middle against either a nickel guy or LB. he has speed to take care of those guys. Maybe with Wentz having a better arm than Rivers we can see better deep routes form TY. He definitely has lost a step though. 

I think it makes sense for PC to move outside (to avoid injury and with his speed) as well as for TY to move inside. They said when they drafted PC they wanted to start him inside and move him gradually outside, so hopefully things haven't changed.

I just think TY could be really really good inside. I'm talking one of the best slots in the league right now type of good. My gut says they won't do it even if they do start working PC on the outside. My guess is they work Pascal from the slot like last year, and maybe a guy like Harris (who I think has decent upside). Going to be interesting. Regardless, I'm not expecting much more deep stuff from Reich even with Wentz's younger arm.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it makes sense for PC to move outside (to avoid injury and with his speed) as well as for TY to move inside. They said when they drafted PC they wanted to start him inside and move him gradually outside, so hopefully things haven't changed.

I just think TY could be really really good inside. I'm talking one of the best slots in the league right now type of good. My gut says they won't do it even if they do start working PC on the outside. My guess is they work Pascal from the slot like last year, and maybe a guy like Harris (who I think has decent upside). Going to be interesting. Regardless, I'm not expecting much more deep stuff from Reich even with Wentz's younger arm.

I agree that the deep ball only will happen a few more times than last year but short to intermediate will be the dominant. I want the same and have PC outside where he can use speed and has more size than TY. TY in the slot could be a nice YAC move to help get gap plays. Pascal I think they see as a poor mans Reggie. A possession guy that won’t wow you with speed but can make the catch. He just needs to get better with routes. I like Pascal but he needs to be behind TY in the slot. Harris is a good speedster that has upside for sure. One good thing with him is the change of pace stuff. Screens and end around runs. I hope to see Hines used in some of the same type as well. We have better WR options than people think and with a solid accurate guy they will show up. I still have so much high hopes with Pittman. 

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree that the deep ball only will happen a few more times than last year but short to intermediate will be the dominant. I want the same and have PC outside where he can use speed and has more size than TY. TY in the slot could be a nice YAC move to help get gap plays. Pascal I think they see as a poor mans Reggie. A possession guy that won’t wow you with speed but can make the catch. He just needs to get better with routes. I like Pascal but he needs to be behind TY in the slot. Harris is a good speedster that has upside for sure. One good thing with him is the change of pace stuff. Screens and end around runs. I hope to see Hines used in some of the same type as well. We have better WR options than people think and with a solid accurate guy they will show up. I still have so much high hopes with Pittman. 

Pascal is a good route runner, so not sure about your comment. Pascal plays "big" slot, not really "traditional" slot, so not really a conversation of TY behind, or in front of Pascal, unless you're talking purely snaps. If they did move TY in, he'd easily get more snaps IMO, and still work outside at Z occasionally when PC was not in.

Pittman will be fine. He should be a #2 type WR though, as a complimentary X to a feature Z or traditional slot. With Reich's scheme you never know, he may feature the X. With the addition of Mack this year, I think Hines will see a diminished roll running the ball and snaps in general. Basically used more purely as an APB or 3rd down guy. That should mean more passing to JT though. Either way, I think it will likely impact (reduce) Harris's use on screens and end arounds. Harris was fun to see a few times last year when we had injury to others, but he really needs to take a step forward in terms of route running if he wants to make the 53. With his size, he'll always be limited, but with his speed, he'll always have value (if he can run routes).

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

All that matters is the threat of the deep ball to stretch the field and make defenses defend the entire field. Just need a couple a game so the threat is there.

For the threat to be there, you have to toss it deep a few times, and at minimum run semi-regular sets with deep routes. It really becomes a % game when opposing Ds look at our tape. You have to burn a team or at minimum take a few shots on early downs if you want to keep teams honest. If not, teams will just play the % and cheat Ss up and/or play more zone until you prove you'll pull the trigger. Not saying at all you need to go deep a bunch, just more than Reich has the past 3 years. And you have to do it more than on 3rd and long, or when you're down late a TD or more.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pascal is a good route runner, so not sure about your comment. Pascal plays "big" slot, not really "traditional" slot, so not really a conversation of TY behind, or in front of Pascal, unless you're talking purely snaps. If they did move TY in, he'd easily get more snaps IMO, and still work outside at Z occasionally when PC was not in.

Pittman will be fine. He should be a #2 type WR though, as a complimentary X to a feature Z or traditional slot. With Reich's scheme you never know, he may feature the X. With the addition of Mack this year, I think Hines will see a diminished roll running the ball and snaps in general. Basically used more purely as an APB or 3rd down guy. That should mean more passing to JT though. Either way, I think it will likely impact (reduce) Harris's use on screens and end arounds. Harris was fun to see a few times last year when we had injury to others, but he really needs to take a step forward in terms of route running if he wants to make the 53. With his size, he'll always be limited, but with his speed, he'll always have value (if he can run routes).

The TY and Pascal thing would be based on purely snaps yes. As far as route running, I’m not Pascal is bad I’m saying he can still get better. I see the offense as having a good rotation so PC hopefully playing inside and outside, same with TY. You will still see Pascal out there for sure. Pittman to me he the chance this year to take over. Depending on TY and if they kick him inside (I hope they do) then I see Pittman becoming a #1 guy. 

Having Mack back allows for a solid RBC and gives that good change of pace. I hope he hasn’t lost a step. Frank loves Hines so I see him still getting touches and as I mentioned they can be the creative type if needed. Regardless he has big play potential and I hope we see that this year. I still want JT to have the bulk though. He is a solid back all around. 

On 5/19/2021 at 3:31 PM, Wentzszn said:

Pascal said he worked with Wentz too once the trade happened. Add Patmon to that list too since he was living with Pittman out in Cali.  All of them say how easy carson is to get along with and he is a great guy. Even Ryan Kelly said the same thing. 

It’s going to be hard for anyone outside of the six WR to make this team. We will keep Dulin meaning we will probably have 7 WR. Strachan may not survive waivers if he is cut and wanting him on the PS. He had a lot of teams wanting to sign him as a undrafted FA. Patmon should have the upper hand because he has been here a year and already built early relationship with Wentz and Eason.

Based on overthecap.com they are estimating about 77M in cap space after this year.  

However there are obvious decisions to make our Unrestricted Free Agents include

TY

Glow

Rhodes

Pascal

Cox

Muhammad

Mack

Leonard

Smith

Turay

Lewis

Hines

Wilkins

Fisher 

Franklin

Leonard and Smith to me are locks to be extended.  Hines would be a guy to bring back if you can get him for a decent deal.  

A lot of other players are playing for their next contract this year.   TY, Turay and Lewis need to prove themeslves.  

Rhodes and Fisher are guys brought in to capably fill in spots but we will likely need them again.  Glow might fit that description after this year too.  

On 5/21/2021 at 6:08 AM, DaColts85 said:

The TY and Pascal thing would be based on purely snaps yes. As far as route running, I’m not Pascal is bad I’m saying he can still get better. I see the offense as having a good rotation so PC hopefully playing inside and outside, same with TY. You will still see Pascal out there for sure. Pittman to me he the chance this year to take over. Depending on TY and if they kick him inside (I hope they do) then I see Pittman becoming a #1 guy. 

Pittman could very well become the #1 guy (purely yards), simply because of our dink/dunk O. But to become a true #1 type of guy in the sense of a true weapon, he'd have to be a threat, and more importantly "used" at all three levels of the field. Just not sure Reich will call that kind of offense, especially the 50/50 type of balls deeper to Pittman. 

It's purely a preference thing for me when it comes to offensive style. I want a two outside guys (Z and X) that can work all three levels and are used on all three with some regularity. One speed guys (Z) that can get good speed-separation, and one X that can dominate with his size. Not that I want an air raid O or anything, just good balance and unpredictable calls that require a D to defend every inch of the field. And I want two guys (one big and one speedy traditional) at slot that can abuse mismatches across the middle. 

My fear I guess is Pittman becomes the #1 purely because we lack a productive Z on the other side, or simply because our O is just conservative and overly relies on the short dink/dunk stuff.

As far as Pascal goes, his route running has been praised by the FO before, and from what I've seen on the field, it's pretty darn good. He lacks speed to get a lot of speed-separation, but his cuts are sharp and timing really good. He was rarely used on timing routes, but a few early games he looked phenomenal (sail routes that were thrown to both him and MAC).

On 5/21/2021 at 6:08 AM, DaColts85 said:

Having Mack back allows for a solid RBC and gives that good change of pace. I hope he hasn’t lost a step. Frank loves Hines so I see him still getting touches and as I mentioned they can be the creative type if needed. Regardless he has big play potential and I hope we see that this year. I still want JT to have the bulk though. He is a solid back all around. 

We ran it roughly 29-30 times per game last year and we had one of the lower pass play %s (24th / 55% pass). If Mack is back healthy, I'd love to see 15 carries by JT, 10 by MM, and the rest to Hines and/or the other back. Of course that's only run attempts and snaps and touches (runs plus receptions) will be a higher amount. That would keep the miles off JT and keep him fresh, and be a good thing IMO. Also allows Mack to audition for his next team. Mack if back to 100% was a top 10ish back too, so not a lot of drop off. 

After Mack's health, my biggest Q will be do we use him as a receiver more this year, like JT last year. Mack in the past, just was never used much in the past in the passing game. And with Hines' contract coming up, will that fact effect his use?

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pittman could very well become the #1 guy (purely yards), simply because of our dink/dunk O. But to become a true #1 type of guy in the sense of a true weapon, he'd have to be a threat, and more importantly "used" at all three levels of the field. Just not sure Reich will call that kind of offense, especially the 50/50 type of balls deeper to Pittman. 

It's purely a preference thing for me when it comes to offensive style. I want a two outside guys (Z and X) that can work all three levels and are used on all three with some regularity. One speed guys (Z) that can get good speed-separation, and one X that can dominate with his size. Not that I want an air raid O or anything, just good balance and unpredictable calls that require a D to defend every inch of the field. And I want two guys (one big and one speedy traditional) at slot that can abuse mismatches across the middle. 

My fear I guess is Pittman becomes the #1 purely because we lack a productive Z on the other side, or simply because our O is just conservative and overly relies on the short dink/dunk stuff.

As far as Pascal goes, his route running has been praised by the FO before, and from what I've seen on the field, it's pretty darn good. He lacks speed to get a lot of speed-separation, but his cuts are sharp and timing really good. He was rarely used on timing routes, but a few early games he looked phenomenal (sail routes that were thrown to both him and MAC).

We ran it roughly 29-30 times per game last year and we had one of the lower pass play %s (24th / 55% pass). If Mack is back healthy, I'd love to see 15 carries by JT, 10 by MM, and the rest to Hines and/or the other back. Of course that's only run attempts and snaps and touches (runs plus receptions) will be a higher amount. That would keep the miles off JT and keep him fresh, and be a good thing IMO. Also allows Mack to audition for his next team. Mack if back to 100% was a top 10ish back too, so not a lot of drop off. 

After Mack's health, my biggest Q will be do we use him as a receiver more this year, like JT last year. Mack in the past, just was never used much in the past in the passing game. And with Hines' contract coming up, will that fact effect his use?

I am not sure if Wentz will be better than Rivers was last year, I could see about the same statistically but Wentz does have a stronger arm. Having said that I can see Reich taking more chances throwing deep with Wentz, especially to TY. Overall I honestly don't mind a dink/dunk O because that has been a style that has been winning for a while for elite teams. Pats did it for years with Brady. Our run game should be top 5 league so being less risky in some games is an ok thing. So I see why Reich play calls the way he does.

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure if Wentz will be better than Rivers was last year, I could see about the same statistically but Wentz does have a stronger arm. Having said that I can see Reich taking more chances throwing deep with Wentz, especially to TY. Overall I honestly don't mind a dink/dunk O because that has been a style that has been winning for a while for elite teams. Pats did it for years with Brady. Our run game should be top 5 league so being less risky in some games is an ok thing. So I see why Reich play calls the way he does.

I don't mind a level of dink/dunk. It's effective. But most teams that do it also are successful deep too. Brady was good deep, just didn't have the WRs always to go deep. When he did, he was highly effective. 

I'm guessing we start conservative and open things up later. I do think Wentz may "need" to go deeper early given some of the Ds/teams we play early. Only time will tell. I'm ready for week 1.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Can you imagine some sets starting with Mack, Taylor and Hines all in the backfield? The D won't know if its run or pass, and if it's run, who will get the ball.

2 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Can you imagine some sets starting with Mack, Taylor and Hines all in the backfield? The D won't know if its run or pass, and if it's run, who will get the ball.

I'd be just happy with a few 2 back sets, preferably Hines and JT. Both are good threats catching. Honestly, I'd like to see Hines get some time in the slot too.

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd be just happy with a few 2 back sets, preferably Hines and JT. Both are good threats catching. Honestly, I'd like to see Hines get some time in the slot too.

My thoughts as well, with them being split just outside Wentz.  It would really keep the defense guessing and maybe the Colts could finally have a good screen passing threat.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, krunk said:

He can do it all. Id say right now if he were healthy he could impact from the interior the fastest. They want him rushing from the edge as well. In my opinion he can do that but needs a bit of rush technique work and coaching on hand play.

He can do it all, we hope, not until likely next year.....  he's not going to be anywhere near his overall capability this season, if ever.  Achilles tear is a critical injury that takes a tremendous amount of stress in any athletic activity when healthy.  Some never recover, and those that do take time.

37 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He seems a little full of himself. What was so hard answering questions about being benched last season.

Not seen the video yet but from your comment, I think you're making a difficult thing sound as if it's easy. Being benched isnt something any player wants to go through, I can see why he may have avoided that altogether. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

He seems a little full of himself. What was so hard answering questions about being benched last season.

He probably felt like they were pressing him over and over again about last year while he wants to move forward, and the press/media would not let him based on their questioning. It is obvious he wants to move on and once he answered the first question from Chapp about the first 2 seasons, Zac Keefer pressed him again about Season 2, and that probably hit a nerve with him and he acted a little "Smart Alec" like with his reference to "I learn something every year, when I was 5...". I just chalk it up to frustration that the media would not let him forget last year or the year before. Not every answer can be packaged with the way we want to hear it, that is life. To be honest, Eberflus should be asked more about Banogu's Year 2 development / lack of than the player himself because the decision to keep him on the bench came from Eberflus most likely.

If someone brought up your past failures every single time before you get a chance to redeem yourself to show you are better than the previous 2 years, it almost feels to you like you have no chance in their eyes and you have to say "something" to get the attention diverted to "something" that will focus the conversation onto things moving forward.

But I don't see Jerk, just a "peeved / Smart Alec" moment. :dunno:

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He probably felt like they were pressing him over and over again about last year while he wants to move forward, and the press/media would not let him based on their questioning. It is obvious he wants to move on and once he answered the first question from Chapp about the first 2 seasons, Zac Keefer pressed him again about Season 2, and that probably hit a nerve with him and he acted a little "Smart Alec" like with his reference to "I learn something every year, when I was 5...". I just chalk it up to frustration that the media would not let him forget last year or the year before. Not every answer can be packaged with the way we want to hear it, that is life. To be honest, Eberflus should be asked more about Banogu's Year 2 development / lack of than the player himself because the decision to keep him on the bench came from Eberflus most likely.

If someone brought up your past failures every single time before you get a chance to redeem yourself to show you are better than the previous 2 years, it almost feels to you like you have no chance in their eyes and you have to say "something" to get the attention diverted to "something" that will focus the conversation onto things moving forward.

But I don't see Jerk, just a "peeved / Smart Alec" moment. :dunno:

I agree. He answered the first question about last season politely.

It was clear he didn't want to talk about last season so I thought it was rude to ask him the same question again about last season and what he learned 

32 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree. He answered the first question about last season politely.

It was clear he didn't want to talk about last season so I thought it was rude to ask him the same question again about last season and what he learned 

Current poll is 4-1 against being a jerk so far. I got a sense he was frustrated at the line of questioning but that's all. Got asked a question about last year, and sure it's a bit of a trope but made it clear in his mind it's about what he does this season. Next but one question... "What was last year like for you?". I can get why you might get a little peeved.

It's not like he's BB up there :lol:

Archived