Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I believe the best draft selection for the Colts in 2021 will wind up being.....

Indeee

Granson....

Here is why: 

I knew nothing about this guy. I hear a lot on here about the Burton replacement and I'm like why? Look I was a big Burton fan and was hoping for much more than what transpired here but it never happened so I'm like why do we need to replace a guy who showed hardly anything. So with that being said I don't see Granson as a Burton replacement or even a poor man's Dallas Clark as some has suggested.

After watching Granson's tape(highlights) I have concluded something in Grandson that I see that I do not think anyone else on here has mentioned and that is Grandson, to me, equals Chris Cooley.

Living in DC area I saw a lot of Cooley and Cooley was a stud. To me Grandson is Cooley. Nothing against the other picks but IF Reich actually involves this kid in the gameplan for real, this kid is going to be the best selection the Colts made IMHO....

Granson could be good, but it'll probably be Paye. I just have the feeling even though Ballard drafted Granson in the 4th round, he won't get any opportunity to start year 1, and it'll be the same duo of Doyle and Cox game 1. Paye is the only other one I see doing anything really. If we get production out of the rest, it'll be luck, and that includes Dayo, who has the torn achilles.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Granson could be good, but it'll probably be Paye. I just have the feeling even though Ballard drafted Granson in the 4th round, he won't get any opportunity to start year 1, and it'll be the same duo of Doyle and Cox game 1. Paye is the only other one I see doing anything really. If we get production out of the rest, it'll be luck, and that includes Dayo, who has the torn achilles.

It won't be luck

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's dumb. If the rest produce it will be because the FO and coaching staff had a solid, cohesive plan in place that we, as fans, are not aware of and that actually worked. They didn't just throw darts at the board and hope it works out. The biggest question is if their plan is a good one. We'll see.

Just now, CheezyColt said:

That's dumb. If the rest produce it will be because the FO and coaching staff had a solid, cohesive plan in place that we, as fans, are not aware of and that actually worked. They didn't just throw darts at the board and hope it works out. The biggest question is if their plan is a good one. We'll see.

Actually, Ballard agrees with me here. He said you need more draft picks to take more shots and the draft is largely based around luck. He says his scouting team is pretty good, but luck is involved.

6 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Actually, Ballard agrees with me here. He said you need more draft picks to take more shots and the draft is largely based around luck. He says his scouting team is pretty good, but luck is involved.

start with 15:00, Ballard will talk about the luck aspect of drafting.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Eyeroll.

He said luck plays a part. He did NOT say the draft is BASED AROUND luck. That's insane. He understands that luck definitely plays a part (even moreso this year with the limited evals) but to claim that he said the draft is entirely based around random luck is even dumber than the original post.

The front office and coaching staffs work together to identify what they think the team needs are and who best fits for the structure of the team. That's not luck.

Maybe this is why you think you're so much smarter than the front office. You think that they base their draft strategy on luck while you read some scouting reports on google so clearly they should just pick who you want them to pick - otherwise you're not their friend (or fan) anymore.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck is involved in everything,  but only a part of it.  A 5th round draft pick working his but off and being willing to be coached isn't luck

Kwity Paye.  Hands down.

At least, the first player in the draft ought to be the best player in the draft.

Not the injured second rounder.

Not the fourth round next-best-thing-to-Pat-Freiermuth.

Not the project safety or the small-school receiver.

It's gotta be Paye.  It ought to be Paye.  It had better be Paye.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Kwity Paye.  Hands down.

At least, the first player in the draft ought to be the best player in the draft.

Not the injured second rounder.

Not the fourth round next-best-thing-to-Pat-Freiermuth.

Not the project safety or the small-school receiver.

It's gotta be Paye.  It ought to be Paye.  It had better be Paye.

Who do you think was the best player from the 2003 colts draft class?      Dallas was the first rounder.   Very good player.     Mathis was the 5th rounder.  Possible HOFamer

Paye. Not just because of his 1st rounder status. But because I think his work ethic, character and history brings a player who will give it 110% every day to learn and improve. Here is Robert Mathis’ dream come true: great talent; great athlete; with lots of room to grow. My bet is Mathis adopts him. The Colts got a gem here and I predict big things for this young man.  

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who do you think was the best player from the 2003 colts draft class?      Dallas was the first rounder.   Very good player.     Mathis was the 5th rounder.  Possible HOFamer

Yup.  And more power to him.

But when your 4th round RB and your 5th round DT are the best players in the 2017 draft, something went wrong.  Something went badly wrong.  You first round pick, by expectation, ought to be the best player in your draft.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Has nothing to do with intelligence.   

So if it doesn't have to do with intelligence, then are you saying it has to do with luck? Because all you can do is watch tape and make the best evaluation possible and hope it works out. Either it's intelligence, hard work, and doing your due diligence, or you have to admit there's some luck involved like Ballard said.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

But when your 4th round RB and your 5th round DT are the best players in the 2017 draft, something went wrong.  Something went badly wrong.  You first round pick, by expectation, ought to be the best player in your draft.

First of all that was Ballard’s first draft with a lame duck coach. He has changed a lot how he drafts from that first draft. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

First of all that was Ballard’s first draft with a lame duck coach. He has changed a lot how he drafts from that first draft. 

Lame duck coach and lame duck scouts. he had no time to prepare for anything in 2017.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:41 AM, Indeee said:

Granson....

Here is why: 

I knew nothing about this guy. I hear a lot on here about the Burton replacement and I'm like why? Look I was a big Burton fan and was hoping for much more than what transpired here but it never happened so I'm like why do we need to replace a guy who showed hardly anything. So with that being said I don't see Granson as a Burton replacement or even a poor man's Dallas Clark as some has suggested.

After watching Granson's tape(highlights) I have concluded something in Grandson that I see that I do not think anyone else on here has mentioned and that is Grandson, to me, equals Chris Cooley.

Living in DC area I saw a lot of Cooley and Cooley was a stud. To me Grandson is Cooley. Nothing against the other picks but IF Reich actually involves this kid in the gameplan for real, this kid is going to be the best selection the Colts made IMHO....

I see this kid expanding Reich's offensive to include more 2 back sets, as well as end line blocker and out in space receiver from either fullback, slot, or TE position. Hopefully this addition improves the Red Zone / Goal Line offense (and situationally overall), and also allow for an effective 4 minute clock draining offense as well.  If this happens, then it could potentially be more impactful than Paye's contributions, IMHO.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see this kid expanding Reich's offensive to include more 2 back sets, as well as end line blocker and out in space receiver from either fullback or TE position. Hopefully this addition improves the Red Zone / Goal Line offense (and situationally overall), and also allow for an effective 4 minute clock draining offense as well.  If this happens, then it could potentially be more impactful than Paye's contributions, IMHO.

Hope you’re right. If he turns out well, the Colt’s  definitely just got better. They have needed a guy like this in the offense.... a disruptive TE who can run and push plays down the seam. 

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I can see a bit of Cooley in there. If he ends up even close to Cooley on the field, it will have been a steal.

Also, I can't stop laughing at how you started calling him Grandson towards the end. I'm assuming autocorrect, but hilarious nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I can see a bit of Cooley in there. If he ends up even close to Cooley on the field, it will have been a steal.

Also, I can't stop laughing at how you started calling him Grandson towards the end. I'm assuming autocorrect, but hilarious nonetheless.

Ha!!.  Yea I didn't notice the grandson effect before I posted. I'm sure he is someone grandson tho...:D

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Hope you’re right. If he turns out well, the Colt’s  definitely just got better. They have needed a guy like this in the offense.... a disruptive TE who can run and push plays down the seam. 

And as a lead blocker for Taylor, or at times taking the handoff himself with Taylor as a decoy. Reichs playbook opens up with this guy. He has even lined up as a slot receiver, or end line TE in addition to FB.

You guys comp him to Cooley, Rick Neuheisel comps him to Kyle Juszczyk of the 49ers. Here's his tape from last year-

I'm interested in how Reich/Brady want to use him.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

How quickly they forget... 

Hooker might’ve been our best player from that draft.   But a terrible knee injury pretty much wiped out a year and a half.   Then his Achilles injury wiped out his last year.   That’s roughly 2.5 years out of four for a guy who was somewhat new to football and needed to play but couldn’t. 

I don’t view Hooker as a bust, just as a guy who couldn’t succeed due to I jury.  That’s not a bust,  that’s just bad luck. 

Not to put a damper on the Paye pick. Our 7th round pick Fries held him in check all game. 

Watching Shawn Davis reminds me of another small safety we had. Watching tape on Davis brought back alot of warm fuzzy feelings of Sanders.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How quickly they forget... 

Hooker might’ve been our best player from that draft.   But a terrible knee injury pretty much wiped out a year and a half.   Then his Achilles injury wiped out his last year.   That’s roughly 2.5 years out of four for a guy who was somewhat new to football and needed to play but couldn’t. 

I don’t view Hooker as a bust, just as a guy who couldn’t succeed due to I jury.  That’s not a bust,  that’s just bad luck. 

Yup.  True, that.  And totally agree.

I do find it amusing that the moment anyone invokes the 2017 draft, there are immediate assumptions that they're saying Ballard is bad at drafting, or that Hooker was a bust.

I think my statement still stands.  Simple rules of expectation say that you would think your first pick in your draft will be the best player.

And in 2017?

Hooker had an injury that he never truly recovered from.

Wilson grew frustrated with our soft zone approach, was sent to the Jets, where he wasn't successful there either.

Basham couldn't fully tap his potential here, and also went to the Jets, where at least he played a lot.

Banner truly did bust out, but it's not often you call a 3rd round pick a bust.

Which makes my other statement true, too.  If your first pick isn't the best player, then something went horribly wrong.  It did go wrong.  Hooker had a bad injury that he never recovered from.

Sorry, NCF, normally I don't write the back-and-forth messages getting all defensive and stuff.  Maybe I'm just poopy after a long day.  :) 

21 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

With Granson I see shades of Eric Ebron. Hopefully he'll be even better than him with a better attitude to boot!

I don't know why but for some reason, this guy reminds me of Jacob Tamme, anyone remember him, he was also drafted in Round 4? Granson is about 2 inches shorter but 5 lbs heavier on their drafting profile (going based on this for Tamme). Not a primary TE but will come in for lots of sub packages and red zone packages. Tamme understood route concepts well and knew how to get open. If this guy can do that, everyone will be happy.

Ebron is a bigger and taller TE than both of the guys mentioned above. 

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think the undrafted vaughs will be a beast and will beat out strachan easily 

no way strachan is 6ft 5 and has track speed he is a raw calvin johnson .  If he can work hard and develop his skills he is not being covered at all .  imagine a guy with paris cambell or ty hilton speed who is the size of mo allie cox that is strachan

I'm thinking the best player in our draft class may be Dayo. He is a freak and it seems Morocco Brown was the guy pounding the table for him giving him the nickname the human hurricane. Once he recovers and we give him some position stability (at vanderbilt they moved him around a lot from OLB to DE to DT). Not saying Kwity won't be good but I can see Dayo being great. The dude has 35" arms and to reference Chris long he said people don't realize how important arm length is for a pass rusher (he had 32 1/2" arms) and that two inches in arm length can make the difference between getting a sack and not. (He says it alot better in his podcast)

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

start with 15:00, Ballard will talk about the luck aspect of drafting.

when talking about a little luck that means not getting injured and other smaller factors it does not play a huge role .  certain teams like the ravens and steelers are non stop replacing their stars in the draft every year and had good defenses for the last 20 plus years that is not luck its good front office .

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I'm thinking the best player in our draft class may be Dayo. He is a freak and it seems Morocco Brown was the guy pounding the table for him giving him the nickname the human hurricane. Once he recovers and we give him some position stability (at vanderbilt they moved him around a lot from OLB to DE to DT). Not saying Kwity won't be good but I can see Dayo being great. The dude has 35" arms and to reference Chris long he said people don't realize how important arm length is for a pass rusher (he had 32 1/2" arms) and that two inches in arm length can make the difference between getting a sack and not. (He says it alot better in his podcast)

both dayo and paye have the deforest buckner motor to go full speed without getting tired and taking downs off in coasting mode .   plus they both are great at stopping the run and dong the dirty work on top of being elite talent pass rushers .   there is a huge difference between them and ben or turray when they were drafted they were the right length and athletic ability but raw  skill wise .  dayo and paye are not raw and can make a impact right away.

Archived