Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I would not go that far... But I am trying to understand his plan with the DL... Seems like he wants a bunch of players that are versatile, and can play all across the line. At some point you have to bring in the closers... We still do not have anyone who can effectively play the 9 technique. Maybe we can develop one of them... Hopefully. 

Nope.  At pick 21, Paye better not come off the field.  A LT would play 3 downs every series.  Pick 21 players should never be on the bench when healthy

Dayo has the size to move inside, so he will never come off the field, just change spots.  leaves no room for any other player except Turay to come in for Dayo when Dayo slides for Grover.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Whiffed on turay and Lewis is very harsh. Both showed great promise.

And they'll both probably be on the roster to start the year. But it's definitely do or die. The rooks are coming. And they're looking to checkmate.  sunglasses help GIF

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH

Just now, krunk said:

They have him at 3 tech in this shot. We pretty much sucked when Buckner was on the Covid list last year against Tenn. I wonder if they have more of a plan as a reserve 3 tech slash DE for him. I honestly dont think hes that good of a pass rusher on the outside. To me he doesnt really have many pass rush moves when hes on the edge.

I agree, he is a base LDE that will kick inside on sub packages/passing downs. Same as Autry. He is a pure power rusher, but he has alot of upside as a power rusher.. gret size 6'5, 285lbs, 86inch wingspan

This doesn't neccarily mean the end for Kemoko Turay as some are pointing out. He will still get reps as a speed rusher on 3rd downs. He was never going to be a 1st/2nd down DE anyway.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

When a player gets hurt the way Turay was, I don’t think it’s fair to call that a whiff.   You can’t control that type of injury. 

If Banogu doesn’t work out, THAT would be a whiff. 

Agreed. However, the writing is on the wall for Banogu... It's almost curtain time for him. 

8 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He whiffed on Turay too. 

We will know more about Turay after this season I think.  He was still recovering from injury last year and wasn't impressive but its hard to write him off just yet.   He is definitely on notice. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Agreed. However, the writing is on the wall for Banogu... It's almost curtain time for him. 

Not yet.   I think he gets the off-season program and the pre-season to show himself.  
Dayo is likely going to start the year on the PUP list so he won’t take up a roster spot at the start. 

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Seriously? Dude...he's a rookie.

When he's good enough to start, he should be good enough to play all three downs.  That's how you look at first round players.

Players designed to be rotational...IOW situational.....usually meaning one dimensional..... aren't taken in the first round.  Bad return on investment. 

Grover is a perfect example.  Good player, but not on the field in certain situations.  4th rounder.

I'm not saying these are bad picks.  What I'm saying is Ballard is saying Lewis, Ben, and maybe Turay have been bad returns on investments.

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have never seen two more explosive powerful athletes taken in a row. There is some serious power being assembled for the Colts front 7. 

I appreciate Ballard giving serious attention to the edge rush this draft.  We all would have liked an OT tonight but if it's not there it's just not there.   He doubled down on a big need and in so doing made the team a little better. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not yet.   I think he gets the off-season program and the pre-season to show himself.  
Dayo is likely going to start the year on the PUP list so he won’t take up a roster spot at the start. 

Yeah. That's what I am saying. If Banogu does not pick it up early this year then he is gone. It's almost curtain time for him. Time to put up or get out of the way... Cause the Colts are not waiting much longer on him. He should be sweating after the first 2 picks in this draft. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nope.  At pick 21, Paye better not come off the field.  A LT would play 3 downs every series.  Pick 21 players should never be on the bench when healthy

Dayo has the size to move inside, so he will never come off the field, just change spots.  leaves no room for any other player except Turay to come in for Dayo when Dayo slides for Grover.

I think you’ve way over reached.    Paye is a developmental kid.  That’s why he lasted to pick 21.   He’ll play a fair amount.  But I wouldn’t expect him at all to be a 3-down player as a rookie.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

When he's good enough to start, he should be good enough to play all three downs.  That's how you look at first round players.

Players designed to be rotational...IOW situational.....usually meaning one dimensional aren't taken in the first round.  Grover is a perfect example.  Good player, but not on the field in certain situations.  4th rounder.

So is Buckner not since he doesn't play every snap? Since he plays around 70%, By your logic he isnt good enough

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It’s also an obvious admission of his whiffs 

Not really.

If Turay and Lewis both have good years it will be tough to retain both of them with the other big contracts we will have going out next year.

Replacements will be needed.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Players designed to be rotational...IOW situational.....usually meaning one dimensional..... aren't taken in the first round.  Bad return on investment. 

Grover is a perfect example.  Good player, but not on the field in certain situations.  4th rounder.

Grover is also a Nose Tackle.   Those guys come off the field all the time in a passing league. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We will know more about Turay after this season I think.  He was still recovering from injury last year and wasn't impressive but its hard to write him off just yet.   He is definitely on notice. 

Year 4 and the final year of his contract. And we’re still waiting. His college and Pro resume are nearly identical (injured a lot). 

He is a bust for a 2nd Rd pick IMO. 

14 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Maybe having Nelson at LG can make a journeyman T play better.

Veldheer did well enough the couple games he played for us.

But I really don’t want to see Q moved out.  I think that’s a last resort type move.

But our list of options has narrowed a lot in the last couple hours.  And it’s the most critical position on the offensive line — with an injury prone QB, no less.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Will Tampa take a QB? The Vikes may have a chance at drafting QB Davis Mills. Unfortunately, I think Zimmer will want a defensive player. He loves CBs. 

Looks like they'll be going with Kyle Trask.

Some really good CB's still available.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Veldheer did well enough the couple games he played for us.

But I really don’t want to see Q moved out.  I think that’s a last resort type move.

But our list of options has narrowed a lot in the last couple hours.  And it’s the most critical position on the offensive line — with an injury prone QB, no less.

Dont forget Will Holden, terrible name, but didnt play bad when he was pushed in

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Year 4 and the final year of his contract. And we’re still waiting. His college and Pro resume are nearly identical (injured a lot). 

He is a bust for a 2nd Rd pick IMO. 

Turay is kind of like the Paris Campbell of the defense.  Nice potential but hardly ever on the field.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I appreciate Ballard giving serious attention to the edge rush this draft.  We all would have liked an OT tonight but if it's not there it's just not there.   He doubled down on a big need and in so doing made the team a little better. 

I think Dayo may help us more on the interior than he does on the outside. Its just my hunch.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Will Tampa take a QB? The Vikes may have a chance at drafting QB Davis Mills. Unfortunately, I think Zimmer will want a defensive player. He loves CBs. 

Vikings do not need a QB Kirk will be leading that team for next 6-7yrs.

happy serena williams GIF by Wimbledon

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Grover is also a Nose Tackle.   Those guys come off the field all the time in a passing league. 

Yes.  That's why he was picked in the 4th, with the understanding he wont be on the field every play.

Pick 21 needs to be on the field every down (outside of a breather).  I'm talking when he's developed (at pick 21, that better be quick)  Good quality players playing 3 downs is a better return on investment than good quality players playing situations.  Buckner was taken with our pick 13 and never leaves the field.

Just now, DougDew said:

Yes.  That's why he was picked in the 4th, with the understanding it wont be on the field every play.

Pick 21 needs to be on the field every down (outside of a breather).  Good quality players playing 3 downs is a better return on investment than good quality players playing situations.  Buckner was taken at pick 13 and never leaves the field.

He leaves the field, 30% or so of the time

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  That's why he was picked in the 4th, with the understanding it wont be on the field every play.

Pick 21 needs to be on the field every down (outside of a breather).  Good quality players playing 3 downs is a better return on investment than good quality players playing situations.  Buckner was taken at pick 13 and never leaves the field.

That's why I think it is a good idea to tamper our expectations of Paye in year 1. His pass rushing skills are not there yet. and he hasn't had the opportunity to play one position. Michigan moved him around everywhere. We need to keep him at RDE and hope he grows into the position. That's where we need him to be successful. This moving him around all over the line... That's not a good idea... Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

He leaves the field, 30% or so of the time

Not designed to leave the field for situations.  Probably for breathers  And if you're looking at stats, he was gimpy for some games.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I better find another team.  Lol. Just kidding. 

Somehow I keep predicting Vikings picks. lol

22 hours ago, Shive said:

I'm really excited I was right! I'm not a fan of Davis Mills though. I'd take Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask over Mills.

Archived