Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

CS Coltsfan

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Either guy you might be able to sign to a 2 year deal. But Leno isn’t coming off a injury. I wonder what Fishers grade was last season compared to Leno. Anyone have any info?

PFF rating for 2020 (you can go to previous years using the drop down at the top of the page)

Eric Fisher - 80.0 (64.5 in 2019)

Charles Leno Jr. - 74.6 (58.6 in 2019)

Anthony Castanzo - 73.4  (81.3 in 2019)

This guy Charles Leno Jr. is definitely worth looking at least, IMO.

49 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I have watched A LOT of tape & I will disagree with that for the MOST part. Luck did hold the ball sometimes. He wasn't Tom Brady or Manning on his release & getting rid of the ball quickly. 

However; I really do believe it was the scheme. First, Bruce Arians scheme gets a lot of QB's injured. The routes take FOREVER to unfold. Thus, the QB's get hit more against good pass rushing defenses. Pep's scheme was similar in that we threw a lot of PA after abandoning screens and crossing routes. Chud wasn't much better. 

For the majority of Luck's career, I was so annoyed that we practically refused to throw crossers & screens.

The receivers were there, they were open, and he chose to ignore them to force the ball down field. When he did try to hit the short to mid-range passes we watched him throw Hundreds of balls Late, High, and to the Wrong shoulder. It was Pathetic how bad he was at the heart of the passing game, certainly for the first 3+ years. 
 He stood in there like Superman, with many a pass rusher unable to pull him down, but many knocked him flat on his... back after he didn't throw to the receiver open right in front of him. And he said "nice hit"!!

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So two teams want him. One team offers the Bears a draft pick and one does not. Guess who gets him?

Mod Edit:

Yeah I get where you're coming from.....but in the Bears cap position maybe the extra 3 mill means more to them than a draft pick.....they're currently only half a mill or so inside the cap and have a draft pool estimated at bit over 8 mill....they need every bit of money! 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do you sign Leno soon, or count on Fisher to get healthy and sign later?

I'm bringing in Leno, if there is a choice. I would be happy with either or though.

Fisher had a higher PFF last year, although I'm not a devout follower of their rankings but over the last 6-7 games of the year Leno was playing as top 5 tackle in the game by their rankings. Posted that on prior page from a December 23rd tweet.

Again though I would be good woth either.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

PFF rating for 2020 (you can go to previous years using the drop down at the top of the page)

Seems Fisher would be the best choice but a huge risk with that injury.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

The receivers were there, they were open, and he chose to ignore them to force the ball down field. When he did try to hit the short to mid-range passes we watched him throw Hundreds of balls Late, High, and to the Wrong shoulder. It was Pathetic how bad he was at the heart of the passing game, certainly for the first 3+ years. 
 He stood in there like Superman, with many a pass rusher unable to pull him down, but many knocked him flat on his... back after he didn't throw to the receiver open right in front of him. And he said "nice hit"!!

He definitely held onto the ball longer than ideal..(Wentz does that too, unfortunately), but you're missing the point. That was a SMALL part of the problem. We saw what happened when Luck played in a more QB-friendly offense.

The largest issue was the O-LINE. It sucked, let's be honest.

Second, the offensive scheme/play-calling. 

Third, Luck holding the ball too long. 

I don't think there is any way Fisher comes back by August.  That would be 7 months after the injury which is a very serious injury.

This has to be false info being spread by his agent.

Fisher will be ready by Oct/Nov at the earliest, especially at the age of 30 and he may never be the same player again.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'm bringing in Leno, if there is a choice. I would be happy with either or though.

Fisher had a higher PFF last year, although I'm not a devout follower of their rankings but over the last 6-7 games of the year Leno was playing as top 5 tackle in the game by their rankings. Posted that on prior page from a December 23rd tweet.

Hoping that this at least means the Colts will get ONE of the two. There aren't two other teams that need a veteran LT out there at this point, are there? 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Hoping that this at least means the Colts will get ONE of the two. There aren't two other teams that need a veteran LT out there at this point, are there? 

I'm sure there are, teams can always use Offensive LIneman. 

We have ties to both players, the need, the money and a great line for them to already join. All those play big factors I think. What Tackle wouldn't want to slide next to Q?

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Choose Which One GIF by Ansheles

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't think there is any way Fisher comes back by August.  That would be 7 months after the injury which is a very serious injury.

Fisher will be ready by Oct/Nov at the earliest, especially at the age of 30 and he may never be the same player again.

Yup. Achilles is probably the toughest and longest recovery, assuming no setbacks. It's a one year rehab, 11 months at best. And like any major leg injury, there's still a revamp time after they return to the field, where they're able to play but not 100%.

Fisher got hurt in January. He probably won't play in 2021, realistically speaking. Same thing for Dayo, by the way, although it's probably easier to get a DL some spot reps late in the season.

There's a good chance Fisher can return to form eventually, but not in eight months. If we signed him, he'd be a sign and stash, not an immediate contributor.

https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20180323/most-football-players-returned-to-nfl-after-achilles-tendon-repair

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The chiefs actually said the same thing themselves back in March before he was released. Even if he isn’t ready to OCT that would be fine.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The chiefs actually said the same thing themselves back in March before he was released. Even if he isn’t ready to OCT that would be fine.

I'm agreeing with what Superman said above.  11 months at best which would put him in Nov/Dec timeframe.

At his age of 30 the odds are against any type of full recovery.  If we sign him it would be a sign and stash like Superman said.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. Achilles is probably the toughest and longest recovery, assuming no setbacks. It's a one year rehab, 11 months at best. And like any major leg injury, there's still a revamp time after they return to the field, where they're able to play but not 100%.

Fisher got hurt in January. He probably won't play in 2021, realistically speaking. Same thing for Dayo, by the way, although it's probably easier to get a DL some spot reps late in the season.

There's a good chance Fisher can return to form eventually, but not in eight months. If we signed him, he'd be a sign and stash, not an immediate contributor.

https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20180323/most-football-players-returned-to-nfl-after-achilles-tendon-repair

Eagles Guard Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in January 2018, but still made to play the first game of the following season and was named to his 3rd Pro Bowl that season.

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I'm agreeing with what Superman said above.  11 months at best which would put him in Nov/Dec timeframe.

At his age of 30 the odds are against any type of full recovery.  If we sign him it would be a sign and stash like Superman said.

Robert Mathis tore his at age 33. Came back and had a productive 2 years. All we have is reports and what the chiefs said verified  what other sources are saying. Having said that I would probably take the guy who played all 16 games and doesn’t have a injury. We don’t have access to medical reports. So there is always possible.

Leno is a wrinkle in the LT derby that was unexpected. He’s certainly better than Tevi, and as was said earlier, he finished strong last year. I like Fisher, but if you can sign a healthy, decent option like Leno, I think you do it. 
My question: is he a post June 1 cut, and therefore not available until then?

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Leno is a wrinkle in the LT derby that was unexpected. He’s certainly better than Tevi, and as was said earlier, he finished strong last year. I like Fisher, but if you can sign a healthy, decent option like Leno, I think you do it. 
My question: is he a post June 1 cut, and therefore not available until then?

My guess is it will be a post June cut but we will know where he signs before they.  As long as he can be here by mini camp I think that’s all that matters.

This guy has a ton of character and would fit right into the colts. We could sign Leno to two years and not have to worry about it.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He was cut so not post June 1st.

If I understand the new rules correctly, the relevant date is the Monday after the draft. It's still called the post June 1 designation, but I don't think that's the date anymore...

I'm gonna do some research on that, could be wrong.

Edit: Just went to the CBA, and it's still June 1. I feel like I remember that being changed a couple years ago, but maybe it was a temporary change? Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Either way, even if they released him now, they could still designate him a post June 1 release. They wouldn't get any cap relief yet, but he would be free to sign right away.

18 minutes ago, Art_Vandelay said:

Eagles Guard Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in January 2018, but still made to play the first game of the following season and was named to his 3rd Pro Bowl that season.

That's clearly an outlier.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah he is, as my understanding of his release is as more of a cap space issue than anything. Granted, it's always a red flag when a guy gets released, especially if he's being replaced by an unproven rookie, but the cap issue is definitely a big reason why this happened. The fact that it happened post draft when they have what they think will be a serviceable replacement on hand again points a bit more to cap relief. Chicago doesn't have a terrible roster.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If I understand the new rules correctly, the relevant date is the Monday after the draft. It's still called the post June 1 designation, but I don't think that's the date anymore...

I'm gonna do some research on that, could be wrong.

Edit: Just went to the CBA, and it's still June 1. I feel like I remember that being changed a couple years ago, but maybe it was a temporary change? Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Either way, even if they released him now, they could still designate him a post June 1 release. They wouldn't get any cap relief yet, but he would be free to sign right away.

Thanks. That’s helpful info and certainly changes the game for the Colts. Another decent option just like that. 

I like how hopeful we all are. For the least few months it's been an inventory of who we're getting, we got zip, nada.. Sure we signed our own, which was good. Most to a 1 year contract, so next year it's "here we go again". In the end I highly doubt we sign any of those OT's, we're going to go into battle with Tevi and Davenport, two of the worst OT's last year protecting Weitz's blind side..

32 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I like how hopeful we all are. For the least few months it's been an inventory of who we're getting, we got zip, nada.. Sure we signed our own, which was good. Most to a 1 year contract, so next year it's "here we go again". In the end I highly doubt we sign any of those OT's, we're going to go into battle with Tevi and Davenport, two of the worst OT's last year protecting Weitz's blind side..

I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but I would put money on the fact that we sign another LT

PM me if you are interested

We are going to be ok

I really don’t get why the Bears cut him yeah they save about 8 million but their OT depth took a hit. Especially if the rookie LT struggles and or gets injured. Having said all that wouldn’t mind if the Colts signed him.

Archived