Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

5 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I had this thought earlier, can a team and free agent player verbally commit pre draft and then sign after?  

It isn't a commitment until the contract is signed.    Teams and free agents can do and talk about whatever they want

I agree that Tevi isn't the best LT in the league. But, he isn't as bad as people on here make him out to be either. He is one of the best BACKUP LT's in the league. He is an above average run blocker, and he only struggles with specific issues off the edge. We do have Jack Doyle, one of the best TE blockers in the league, to help him too. 

I doubt he is the starter day 1, but people need to relax. We have one of the smartest coaches & GM's working their tails off to figure it out

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree that Tevi isn't the best LT in the league. But, he isn't as bad as people on here make him out to be either. He is one of the best BACKUP LT's in the league. He is an above average run blocker, and he only struggles with specific issues off the edge. We do have Jack Doyle, one of the best TE blockers in the league, to help him too. 

I doubt he is the starter day 1, but people need to relax. We have one of the smartest coaches & GM's working their tails off to figure it out

If tevi starts wentz retires before the end of the season 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I had this thought earlier, can a team and free agent player verbally commit pre draft and then sign after?  

Yes they can but it’s only verbal.  Need to sign to make it legal. I will say if a agent commits and then backs out his character and reputation will take a huge hit around the league.

36 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There is footage of tevi throwing  the pass rusher into the qb

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hoose said:

First, a message to the moderators: please don’t stuff this in with the other discussions that pre date the draft. Things have changed and I’d like to hear from our best and brightest on this topic. It’s issue number one for the Colts going forward IMO. 

The dust has settled from the draft and, to me, the unthinkable has happened: in perhaps the most historically deep and talented OT class in memory, the Colts, a team badly in need of talent at the LT position, drafted not a single player to fill that need. And no, the guy they picked in the middle of the 7th round will not be their LT. He may be a solid swing O lineman in time, but he’s not the future protector of Wentz. The draft was cruel to the Colts; key opportunities were repeatedly snatched away just before they picked on Day 2 and 3. I liked the pick of Paye, and find no fault with it, but the fallout is what it is. 

So, regardless of the reasoning by Ballard and crew, the situation at LT has, IMO, gone from bad to worse. We are now hearing, more and more, that Sam Tevi, the lowest rated starting LT per PFF last season, is the likely heir to the job. I’m sorry, I love my Colts and admire Ballard, but I cannot believe this is the answer. If not, what is?

Option 1: Snag one of the remaining FA’s  remaining. The choices that make sense: Villanueva, who is, however, rumored headed to Pitt.; Fisher, who is recovering from a January Achilles injury; or Okung, who is aging rapidly. Villanueva would make the most sense here since he’d be a solid two year answer. Fisher would be my second choice, but the Colts could come up goose eggs again if neither wants to take significantly less $. 

Option 2: Move Smith or Q to Left Tackle. Regardless of what they are saying now, you play your best 5 linemen. Period. If they can fill in at either LG with Pinter, for example, or Holden at RT, why in the world would you not do that if it gives you the best O line? Of course you would. 

Option 3: I don’t see another option. 

Clearly, Ballard knows this is a problem. I hope he moves quickly and decisively and grabs one of the vet free agents. But maybe I’m missing something. If there’s a good Option 3, I’d love to hear it. 

Hoose...

What you don’t want to do is announce to the world what you’re 100 percent going to do.   Because then you’ve painted yourself into a corner.   

I think the call will be Fisher.   I hope that Fisher wants to play for the Colts and is reasonable in negotiations.  With a $185m salary cap, numbers have to be in line at this time of year.  

I think a 2-year deal is appropriate.  Fisher doesn’t turn 30 until later this year.  So time is on his side.   He can get bigger money next season when the cap goes up.

Tevi may still have to start games in September.   Maybe even October too,  hard to know?

But, like you, I don’t see Tevi being the guy for the season either.  I think Ballard knows this.  When he talks about Tevi it’s always that he’s played a lot, started a lot, but he doesn’t say very nice things specifically about him.   He makes no comment about Tevi being a good player, or played high level football.  Those words wouldn’t square with SD letting him go and the Colts signing him to a very modest contract. 

I hope we get good news about a LT this week, or sometime soon.   I hope it doesn’t drag out all summer.  A solid FA signing would calm things down here.   A nice quiet peaceful off-season is something we could all use!    :thmup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, #12. said:

I just posted this in another thread.  The more Tevi film I watch  I would have to agree.  I'm warning up to the moving Nelson option.  

The best option might be to move Nelson temporarily and play Pinter until Fisher is ready.

Just watched tevi get smoked by lawson and deeford. He gets over powered easily  and ends up leaving  his spot. Also bad at blocking  speed rushers to the inside 

4 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Where are people getting information about signing Eric Fisher? I haven't noticed any articles about this, and the Colts organization hasn't mentioned it.  Maybe Twitter, which I don't have but is not reliable, anyway?  Could be just wishful thinking. 

The Colts aren't going to say anything.    They never do.

And there are no stories specifically about this.    But a number of websites in the last few weeks speculated that IF the Colts didn't fix/address LT in the draft,  then they connected the dots.

Fisher is a free agent.   Ballard knows him from his days in KC, just as he knew Justin Houston.    Fisher thinks he's going to be back playing sometime this coming season.   We have some money.   It's not hard to draw a line from our front office straight to Fisher.    He makes as much sense, if not more, than either Villanueva or Okung, the other two FA LT's.

Call it....   informed speculation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

we could develop fries into a great tackle if is a good worker . swartz was a 7th round pick and turned into a shut down big time tackle

Fries was moved inside at PSU because he didn't have enough lateral agility to play tackle effectively, especially in pass pro

if anything, I'd think Pinter could be a more likely candidate at OT, given his mobility--IMO Fries could eventually become a good interior OL, but probably would struggle outside at tackle

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hoose...

What you don’t want to do is announce to the world what you’re 100 percent going to do.   Because then you’ve painted yourself into a corner.   

I think the call will be Fisher.   I hope that Fisher wants to play for the Colts and is reasonable in negotiations.  With a $185m salary cap, numbers have to be in line at this time of year.  

I think a 2-year deal is appropriate.  Fisher doesn’t turn 30 until later this year.  So time is on his side.   He can get bigger money next season when the cap goes up.

Tevi may still have to start games in September.   Maybe even October too,  hard to know?

But, like you, I don’t see Tevi being the guy for the season either.  I think Ballard knows this.  When he talks about Tevi it’s always that he’s played a lot, started a lot, but he doesn’t say very nice things specifically about him.   He makes no comment about Tevi being a good player, or played high level football.  Those words wouldn’t square with SD letting him go and the Colts signing him to a very modest contract. 

I hope we get good news about a LT this week, or sometime soon.   I hope it doesn’t drag out all summer.  A solid FA signing would calm things down here.   A nice quiet peaceful off-season is something we could all use!    :thmup:

I agree that Ballard is far too shrewd to show his cards. And that Fisher would make a lot of sense if they can get him on a decent deal. But I also firmly believe the Colts have no intention of using Tevi as anything but a backup..... and personally, I’d rather see them shuffle the line than start him, even if they signed Fisher and had to have a fill in for a few games until Fisher was ready. Because let’s face it: the last thing the Colts want is for Carson Wentz  to begin his career in Indy by having to run for his life or getting pounded into the turf because his LT is  a veritable turnstile. 
And, as a final thought... yes, a nice peaceful off season would be most welcome! :agree:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Did any other teams with major needs at OT also miss out in the draft? Just curious.

Probably the better question is, who lost their starting left tackle in free agency before entering the draft (or like us to retirement)? I know the Packers Bhaktiari went on injured reserve. Similarly with Tyron Smith.

7 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I thought he was an All-American at guard at Notre Dame.

He was an All American Left Tackle in high school, played the spot all his life his natural spot, Notre Dame requested he switch positions because Mike McGlinchey was also on the team and was an elite Tackle as well but not versatile enough to play Guard so Nelson moved and learn a new spot.

13 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I am absolutely against moving Big Q to LT you don’t want to mess with the chemistry that them 4 guys have playing together and you don’t move a player that is the best his position. Do I think he can do it yes but I rather have 1 question mark than 3 how is Q gonna hold up over a season at LT how is the new LG gonna play and how is Kelly gonna mess with the new guard ..... most NFL teams can scheme for outside tackle pressure it is interior pressure that causes all the major headaches 

This, this, this. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Some folks seem to have lost sight of how important it is to have those anchors on the interior. That goes for the defensive side of the ball as well. Look at how impactful a guy like Buckner really is, or like when Pittsburgh had Big Snack. People ignore those guys because their name isn't in the sack column every game. It's really kind of ridiculous.

I was trying to argue this point to one of my buddies on his stream the other day about the LT position. You can point to a stat like sacks allowed all day, but if the pocket is getting moved back 5 yards before the QB can take 3 steps and has to dip outside, is that really the tackles fault? That kind of analysis just about drives me to drink. lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/t-j-watt-says-steelers-wanted-to-throw-as-many-fastballs-as-we-could-at-colts-backup-tackles/

Rewrite from Holden's start and he was facing  Alex Highsmith a backup who struggled up until this game.....Highsmith had a career game. 

Ive seen many other mention Holden and saying he didnt play bad, that is kind of the narrative BUT I think because Chaz Green and L Clark had been so atrocious that it made Holden look better than what actually took place. 

Well, in my humble opinion Highsmith is no slouch. You're talking about a rookie who was backing up Bud Dupree. He played well down the stretch despite not putting up gaudy numbers, so much so that you didn't see Rooney & Co. scrambling to overdraft another edge guy.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hoose...

With Fisher ive seen articles stating multiple teams have interest including the Chiefs. Im hoping if hes the plan he doesnt go back there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

With Fisher ive seen articles stating multiple teams have interest including the Chiefs. Im hoping if hes the plan he doesnt go back there.

Yes....   I hope we can make Fisher a better offer both money-wise and opportunity-wise.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, #12. said:

I still think it's just mainly how the board fell. They didn't think Paye would be there.  According to Peter King, Ballard was convinced he could get a starting LT early in the 2nd.

He "didn't flinch" and it cost us this time.  He could have packaged our late rounds picks and moved up in round 2.  Instead we have a couple practice squad guys we could have signed as UDFA's.  CB couldn't part with the picks, he should have, in this particular draft we needed quality over quantity.  Now, if we have a contract for Fischer sitting on the desk pending a medical, you can delete this post.  :)

FWIW, an old film review of our backup OTs from last year, Holden was good enough as a stop gap, IMO. Like I said "stop gap" but everyone knows we can do better. The coaches just need to understand his strengths and not put him on an island against a smaller guy like Alex Highsmith #56 I think of the Steelers (@JoeThornburg - that guy has some decent moves) with speed (3rd clip of Holden in the article).

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/12/30/22205563/film-room-looking-at-the-colts-backup-ot-play-in-loss-to-the-steelers

• Shive changed the title to Left Tackle/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)
9 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

This, this, this. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Some folks seem to have lost sight of how important it is to have those anchors on the interior. That goes for the defensive side of the ball as well. Look at how impactful a guy like Buckner really is, or like when Pittsburgh had Big Snack. People ignore those guys because their name isn't in the sack column every game. It's really kind of ridiculous.

I was trying to argue this point to one of my buddies on his stream the other day about the LT position. You can point to a stat like sacks allowed all day, but if the pocket is getting moved back 5 yards before the QB can take 3 steps and has to dip outside, is that really the tackles fault? That kind of analysis just about drives me to drink. lol

Yes I agree 100% people are not realizing that interior pressure we absolutely wreck everything. You would think that after watching the colts for as long as some of them have and seeing freeney and mathis they would realize that you can step up in pocket , screen , quick throw , move the pocket away , chip & help , run the ball at the pressure on the edge, I seen it done to us for 10+ year when we had to of the best at getting the QBs. Interior pressure the Qb can’t step up,  flushes him out etc...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Yes I agree 100% people are not realizing that interior pressure we absolutely wreck everything. You would think that after watching the colts for as long as some of them have and seeing freeney and mathis they would realize that you can step up in pocket , screen , quick throw , move the pocket away , chip & help , run the ball at the pressure on the edge, I seen it done to us for 10+ year when we had to of the best at getting the QBs. Interior pressure the Qb can’t step up,  flushes him out etc...

Yep, like @JoeThornburg pointed out, this was a big reason Villaneuva looked worse than he actually was because Big Ben couldn't step into throws because of the interior pressure and the Steelers dinked and dunked their way for most of the season with the occasional 1-on-1 shots down the sidelines or rub routes going across the field that were the ones that took a tad more time than the dinks and dunks.

• Like 2

There are still multiple free agent left tackles who could start and be a stopgap for 2 to 3 years.  So we can grab one there.  

I have to think Ballard is going to bring in someone.  

Sam Tevi is one of the worst tackles in the league.

Have four top class offensive linemen... and him.

It shouldn’t be like that. We need a stud at LT, but until then get an upgrade with Okung, Kelly or someone better.

PFF made a great point.   Ballard doesn't want to force a pick at LT.  Well, what's worse, forcing a pick or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse.  The Colts just had one QB retire after being beaten up for years.  

I'm sure Ballard will do something, but considering the importance of the position, I would have preferred trading up in the 2nd.  I would gladly give up another pick for a starting LT.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

PFF made a great point.   Ballard doesn't want to force a pick at LT.  Well, what's worse, forcing a pick or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse.  The Colts just had one QB retire after being beaten up for years.  

I'm sure Ballard will do something, but considering the importance of the position, I would have preferred trading up in the 2nd.  I would gladly give up another pick for a starting LT.

I think your missing the point. By forcing it that means your passing on a player who you believe is a stud. So you take a LT who you really don’t care that much for and miss out on what think is a stud DE.

Everyone is forgetting we still have 4 really good oline man.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think your missing the point. By forcing it that means your passing on a player who you believe is a stud. 

No, I think you're missing PFF's point.  That's fine in the first round, I suppose, but if the end result is coming away with nothing at all and a hole at the position, what is worse, forcing it or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse. I agree with them.  Not forcing it is one of those things Ballard says and people repeat, but does it really make sense in every case?  No, it doesn't.   Ballard said several times that tackles went off the board right in front of them in the 2nd.  Well, you should have moved up like you did for Taylor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

No, I think you're missing PFF's point.  That's fine in the first round, I suppose, but if the end result is coming away with nothing at all and a hole at the position, what is worse, forcing it or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse. I agree with them.  Not forcing it is one of those things Ballard says and people repeat, but does it really make sense in every case?  No, it doesn't.   Ballard said several times that tackles went off the board right in front of them in the 2nd.  Well, you should have moved up like you did for Taylor.

I don’t care what pff says.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

Tevi is better than Leno.  Leno is what makes the Bears, the Bears.

Zach hicks had this posted awhile back. Seems this guy played for Strausser. I expect us to get fisher. I really do.

• w87r changed the title to Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)
  • Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic