Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

CS Coltsfan

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I know this is foolish, unreasonable, and controversial, but I’m willing to trust Ballard and the coaching staff on this.  

I’ll concede that they may know a tiny bit more about the whole situation than I do.  

I honestly think they expected a tackle to be there in the second .  look up the interview with  kevin  rogers . He clearly says the colts targeted a tackle round two and all options were gone and they did not want to force it . in the second round teams started taking all the tackles and the colts misjudged the situation .  Ballard is amazing but every one makes mistakes

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Reed is head and shoulders above Tevi though, Ill take two Glowinskis over a Glow and a Tevi.  I think Q would be elite right away, if he was playing position for first time like a Braden Smith move would look like no BUT remember Q played LT his entire life and was All American in high school and recruiter to N dame as a Left tackle

when you have swartz from the chiefs just cut why not sign him on a one year deal he played at a all pro level and was a shut down tackle . he is 31 sign him for a one year deal then we can draft one next year.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I honestly think they expected a tackle to be there in the second .  look up the interview with  kevin  rogers . He clearly says the colts targeted a tackle round two and all options were gone and they did not want to force it . in the second round teams started taking all the tackles and the colts misjudged the situation .  Ballard is amazing but every one makes mistakes

We won’t know if any of the picks (or misses) will be mistakes for a couple years.  They could have traded up in the 2nd, but they obviously felt no one was worth the draft capital it would take. 

Once they went with Kwity, the fate was essentially sealed.  

Again, I’m playing MMQB as much as anyone.  I’m just saying they have a lot more info to assess than we do.  

I would advise people to not panic yet. Tomorrow ends the period when free agency signings count toward the compensatory pick formula. I fully expect us to sign someone to be the bridge at OT sometime between tomorrow and the start of the season .

Just now, Smonroe said:

We won’t know if any of the picks (or misses) will be mistakes for a couple years.  They could have traded up in the 2nd, but they obviously felt no one was worth the draft capital it would take. 

Once they went with Kwity, the fate was essentially sealed.  

Again, I’m playing MMQB as much as anyone.  I’m just saying they have a lot more info to assess than we do.  

Dont get me wrong  the love the dayo pick in general .  I think if we sign fisher or swartz on a one year deal we are fine and have a elite offensive line . I just hope ballard doesnt get super cheap and lose out .

2 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

Are current options at LT?

1. Tevi

2. Davenport

3. Holden

4. O'donnell

Without moving Nelson and Smith. Is this correct?

Correct, not to mention more FAs that are or will come available.  

Let’s not forget, we don’t have a statue playing QB this season either.  Not saying he doesn’t need protection, but maybe not for quite as long as a pure pocket passer.  

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

He seems like he doesnt want to join  training camp he retired to only want to come around towards the end of the season to join a playoff team .

Who knows? I cant speculate overall but what seems clear is theres plenty of time to work out a good solution that works for this season.

Just now, krunk said:

Who knows? I cant speculate overall but what seems clear is theres plenty of time to work out a good solution that works for this season.

there are big name tackles on the market who are pro bowl level tackles . the question is if ballard is gonna spend big on one or not .

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would advise people to not panic yet. Tomorrow ends the period when free agency signings count toward the compensatory pick formula. I fully expect us to sign someone to be the bridge at OT sometime between tomorrow and the start of the season .

Zak Keefer already hinted that a signing was coming in the next days or weeks. He wouldn’t of posted that if he didn’t have inside info.

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

there are big name tackles on the market who are pro bowl level tackles . the question is if ballard is gonna spend big on one or not .

Im not sure if Villanueva is the same player anymore and the others have back and achilles concerns. We will see what happens

31 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I loved Veldeheer, in fact made the thread last year when we signed him that we signed him to be the starting within 2 weeks LT and some even said bad thread he was signed for depth only UNTIL he started 4 days later. He is a Pro's pro BUT....not sure he wants to play 17 games plus playoffs.

I would agree .  I thought he played well and is a great run blocker.  If he is available sign him to a one year deal and let’s go.

Of course the Colts are going to say that they are moving ahead with Tevi, as they don't want to lose any leverage with a possible FA.

@holeymoley99brings up a good point about Reed, he is a solid Guard and one that I was surprised was signed so late in Free Agency. For all those against moving Q over, has Q actually had any issue with it?  I have read or heard none, has anyone else?

My fellow Colts fans please listen to what I say.

It was Tevi that ended Rivers career with the Chargers. 

For those who say that Rivers is a statue and Tevi will be fine, please keep in mind that Tevi played last season with Herbert who took a horrible beating too. And Herbert is far more mobile than even Wentz at this point in their careers. So Wentz being more mobile will not save him.

Tevi was so bad the Chargers took a LT at 13. They simply let Tevi go. Absolutely no effort was made to resign him.

Tevi is a QB killer. He ended Rivers career and if he is starting opening day Wentz could be one and done with the Colts too.

Please don't let this happen. It would break my heart to see Wentz get injured behind the QB killer.

You all have been warned!!!

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

It might be.  But it’s a black eye for Ballard that we’re in that predicament.

It seems obvious he hates the idea of trading up - and hates even more the idea of drafting a position just to draft a position.  And he apparently wasn’t in love with any of the OTs that were in our reach.

I get all that.  But you can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  When ardent anti-communist Winston Churchill was charged with hypocrisy for partnering up with Stalin in WW2, he famously quipped that, when it came to the safety of Britain his “conscience became a good girl.”

I think this draft presented a situation where Ballard needed some more flexibility.  Having rules and principles is good - but being rigid or impractical about them can be counter-productive.

We’ll see how it pans out.  There’s still plenty of time left in the off-season.  And Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Ballard doesn't hate drafting up, heck he traded up last year the difference is we didn't have picks to trade this year. We had limited picks this year and we can't trade future picks because we are already working at a deficit next year.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

For those who say that Rivers is a statue and Tevi will be fine, please keep in mind that Tevi played last season with Herbert who took a horrible beating too. And Herbert is far more mobile than even Wentz at this point in their careers. So Wentz being more mobile will not save him.

Tevi was so bad the Chargers took a LT at 13. They simply let Tevi go. Absolutely no effort was made to resign him.

Tevi is a QB killer. He ended Rivers career and if he is starting opening day Wentz could be one and done with the Colts too.

Please don't let this happen. It would break my heart to see Wentz get injured behind the QB killer.

thanks, we’ll be sure to not play him on Sundays...

Will Holden played well when he went in for AC. If Tevi is this bad, expect him to be beat out.

I’m not positive  as I listed to it late last night but I believe irsay said in the official podcast that they were comfortable with Tevi starting at t but he definitely said they weren’t changing the rest of the line.  Q will be the LG.  

I’ll try to replay it to confirm but it was a long night and can’t guarantee I will today 

100% agree. This guy simply isn't good enough to be a starting LT on a team that fancies itself a playoff team. We've seen already he should be nothing more than a swing tackle in this league, and fair enough if that's why we picked him up, but now given we've not addressed the position in the draft, we need to sign someone better to be the starter. No doubt about that. 

4 minutes ago, CamMo said:

I don’t understand these PFF grades. :dunno:

I just remember watching him with my eyeballs and thinking he did well. He didn’t seem like a liability.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/t-j-watt-says-steelers-wanted-to-throw-as-many-fastballs-as-we-could-at-colts-backup-tackles/

Rewrite from Holden's start and he was facing  Alex Highsmith a backup who struggled up until this game.....Highsmith had a career game. 

Ive seen many other mention Holden and saying he didnt play bad, that is kind of the narrative BUT I think because Chaz Green and L Clark had been so atrocious that it made Holden look better than what actually took place. 

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I am absolutely against moving Big Q to LT you don’t want to mess with the chemistry that them 4 guys have playing together and you don’t move a player that is the best his position. Do I think he can do it yes but I rather have 1 question mark than 3 how is Q gonna hold up over a season at LT how is the new LG gonna play and how is Kelly gonna mess with the new guard ..... most NFL teams can scheme for outside tackle pressure it is interior pressure that causes all the major headaches 

This.

It's fine to float it as an idea and discuss it, but it's pretty well determined, out of the mouths of the Colts decision makers, that they're not moving Nelson to LT. 

Edit: Also, three days in a row Ballard was asked about the strategy at LT. Each time, Ballard mentioned Tevi as an option. Why people are ignoring him is beyond me. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, three days in a row Ballard was asked about the strategy at LT. Each time, Ballard mentioned Tevi as an option. Why people are ignoring him is beyond me. 

It's because they don't like the answer and are hoping it will change lol

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It's because they don't like the answer and are hoping it will change lol

To disagree is one thing. Let the situation play out and see what happens. But to act like the possibility doesn't exist is another thing entirely.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Yep, I have said this before about Tevi, good to hear it directly out of a Chargers' fan's mouth. I absolutely think Will Holden who showed us something will beat him out. However, Ballard has to encourage competition and has to keep the possibilities alive of Tevi doing a 180 from his recent history, even if deep down, he feels the likelihood of Holden beating him out is good.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/indianapolis-colts-sam-tevi-signing-pff-least-favorite/

In Tevi’s three years of starting experience, he has produced the worst pass-block grade among tackles (51.6) and has allowed more pressure than anyone in that group (134). For reference, Castonzo gave up just 78 quarterback pressures in that same span and less than half the total number of sacks and hits combined.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

To disagree is one thing. Let the situation play out and see what happens. But to act like the possibility doesn't exist is another thing entirely.

I think the concern is that Tevi seems woefully inadequate for a team with championship aspirations. And a team that has a new QB they clearly need to protect better than his previous team. And a team that likely expected to draft a new starter at LT and failed because they were barely beaten to the punch several times this weekend. 
Tevi is a poor fallback position for the Colts and is why so many believe the they will be active seeking an upgrade. 
And I for one don’t take everything said publicly at face value. Nor do I expect do you. So it is with this in mind that people like me believe there is another, better option out there that the Colts will pursue. COULD they end up with Tevi there? Sure, it’s certainly possible. Do I believe the Colts will have him as their starter when the first game rolls around? Nope.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

The dust has settled from the draft and, to me, the unthinkable has happened: in perhaps the most historically deep and talented OT class in memory,

Last year’s class was better.  Had Andrew Thomas,  Wills, Becton and Wirfs in just the first thirteen picks.  

This year seemed like maybe more guys in total, but talent level definitely more questionable as it connects to left tackle.  Wouldn’t surprise me at all if a bunch of these dudes plateau at RT.

Having said that, I would’ve gone Darrisaw over Paye but I can’t get too angry at that selection.

3 hours ago, KB said:

Once WFT took Sami, we should of jumped in front of the titans. Kind of foolish to let them take the last decent tackle from under our noses. Maybe CB tried and nobody bit. Maybe not. Who knows.

Perhaps Ballard would call that an I**** MOVE taking someone that grades 30 spots lower. 

Archived