Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t complain if we did, but Ballard sounded pretty firm about his status with the team.   The train has left the station and Houston isn’t on it. 

When Ballard said the DL room was pretty full, I think that ended things. 

I heard what he said but considering Dayos health status it would be good to have the old vet out there. But im sure Ballard is thinking sooner or later Turay and Banogu have to bring the goods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I heard what he said but considering Dayos health status it would be good to have the old vet out there. But im sure Ballard is thinking sooner or later Turay and Banogu have to bring the goods.

Yeah the problem is Turay and Lewis will be FA after this season. So 1 way or the other they got to sink or swim.

Banogu has another year after this one, but his clock os ticking.

I would love to bring Houston back if he would come back for $5-$6m, just don't think it is in the cards.

2 minutes ago, James said:

At this point I’ll be almost disappointed if he doesn’t sign with the Colts.

Seems like the ideal option for us now. Sign a 2-3 year deal. Then draft a OT next year or in the 2023 draft.

Yeah, he's an average LT and that might be good enough in this situation.  He's enough in the ballpark of Castonzo that if you combine his level of play with Wentz's mobility, the dropoff shouldn't be that noticeable.  17 games of Tevi or a revolving door at the position would be quite noticeable and a major hit to the team.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yes...    besides our two new rookies, Ballard also wants to give snaps to Lewis, Banogu, Turay, Muhammed, and Rochelle.

That’s a full DE room. 

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah the problem is Turay and Lewis will be FA after this season. So 1 way or the other they got to sink or swim.

Banogu has another year after this one, but his clock os ticking.

I would love to bring Houston back if he would come back for $5-$6m, just don't think it is in the cards.

I actually wouldn’t mind cutting Banogu and bringing Houston back. Houston’s leadership isn’t needed as much though with Buckner. My guess is Buckner is a captain this season.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I actually wouldn’t mind cutting Banogu and bringing Houston back. Houston’s leadership isn’t needed as much though with Buckner. My guess is Buckner is a captain this season.

Would just hate to give up to early on Banogu. We've been down that road before. Thoroughly evaluate him on his rookie deal, at least a 3rd season.

1st season adjustments

2nd season Covid messed all development up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, James said:

At this point I’ll be almost disappointed if he doesn’t sign with the Colts.

Seems like the ideal option for us now. Sign a 2-3 year deal. Then draft a OT next year or in the 2023 draft.

Yeah, the world of fantasy football makes us relish guys like David Montgomery and Trubisky who may have played part in the FF playoff championship run in the last month of regular season football but behind those RBs and QBs producing, there is a left tackle that is playing at a very good level that is overlooked, and that was Charles Leno Jr.

There is also an overlooked aspect of 1 game too, where Bears qualified as a #7 seed for the playoffs, and Charles Leno Jr. went against a very good DL in the New Orleans Saints. 49 snaps played, 0 sacks and 0 penalties with a decent 68.3 rating. I would say that is a good day at the office against a good defensive team playing on the road though Covid changed HFA considerably for teams like the Saints, Seahawks etc.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/charles-leno/8880?weekGroup=POST&season=2020

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m expecting Dayo to start the season on the PUP list.   So that leaves 6 DE’s on the roster. 

HooefulkHopefully for this group, Ballard will be willing to carry 6 DE’s to start the year.   But when Dayo comes off, if no one is hurt, 7 will be too many and depending on what BB has shown, he’d be the candidate to go.

Odds are, he wouldn’t bring more than a 7, but we’d take it and move on. 

31 minutes ago, Mrfox said:

That was a pretty good video. Wish they had a video for last year as that was a breakdown of 2019 season but he had a pretty solid 2020 season. 

I especially liked toward the end when they were breaking down rookie tackles from 2016-2018.

Only 4 rookie LT played at above replacement level over that span.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m expecting Dayo to start the season on the PUP list.   So that leaves 6 DE’s on the roster. 

HooefulkHopefully for this group, Ballard will be willing to carry 6 DE’s to start the year.   But when Dayo comes off, if no one is hurt, 7 will be too many and depending on what BB has shown, he’d be the candidate to go.

Odds are, he wouldn’t bring more than a 7, but we’d take it and move on. 

Well the good thing about that though is Lewis can kick inside, Dayo can kick inside, Paye can kick inside, so that versatility helps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

That was a pretty good video. Wish they had a video for last year as that was a breakdown of 2019 season but he had a pretty solid 2020 season. 

I especially liked toward the end when they were breaking down rookie tackles from 2016-2018.

Only 4 rookie LT played at above replacement level over that span.

This is why getting someone like this on a two year deal might be better for us in the short run instead of going through the rookie ups and downs. With big Q and the rest of the oline all we need is adequate. Then add Wentz mobility in there.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well the good thing about that though is Lewis can kick inside, Dayo can kick inside, Paye can kick inside, so that versatility helps.

100 percent!   It absolutely helps.  

On any given down opponents won’t know who will line-up where.  Advantage Colts!   :thmup:

• Like 1

On the subject of Sam Tevi, Zach Hicks did a film breakdown with Michael Peterson from Bolts from the Blue (SB Nation Chargers) that is pretty solid. It's an hour long, but it gives some good context to what we have in Tevi from someone that is familiar with him and breaking down OL.

• Like 3

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

100 percent!   It absolutely helps.  

On any given down opponents won’t know who will line-up where.  Advantage Colts!   :thmup:

I was more referring to DL roster flexibility as it may allow us to keep more DEs amd less strictly DTs.

But yeah I expect a bunch of different looks up front. It will be nice, especially when Dayo is ready to go. I agree PUP seems like the likely destination to begin the year.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

On the subject of Sam Tevi, Zach Hicks did a film breakdown with Michael Peterson from Bolts from the Blue (SB Nation Chargers) that is pretty solid. It's an hour long, but it gives some good context to what we have in Tevi from someone that is familiar with him and breaking down OL.

Don't have an hour right now, but will check it out tomorrow. Already past bedtime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Don't have an hour right now, but will check it out tomorrow. Already past bedtime.

I only got halfway through for the same reason. I'll just pick it up again tomorrow. Definitely learned a few things so far on general OT play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I only got halfway through for the same reason. I'll just pick it up again tomorrow. Definitely learned a few things so far on general OT play.

Lol. 

Im starting to feel like Chris Ballard. This is suppose to be OT thread and I keep talking about DL.

Anyway, just thought about it because Wentzsyn just posted a clip about a LT question on radio interview and Ballard started talking about Paye and Dayo. Lol

Definitely hoping for Leno/Fisher bit will be nice to hear a breakdown on Tevi.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

I was more referring to DL roster flexibility as it may allow us to keep more DEs amd less strictly DTs.

But yeah I expect a bunch of different looks up front. It will be nice, especially when Dayo is ready to go. I agree PUP seems like the likely destination to begin the year.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear.    I understood what you meant and agree with you.   That was my meaning, even if it wasn’t clear. 

• Like 1

I never thought of Leno until today and you guys bringing him up, I like the idea. He is only 29 years old and is healthy. He also is at least an average LOT which playing by Nelson's side will be good enough. He would be the best LOT on our team as well. I read a story about him, where he was picked in the 7th round and he actually did all his shopping at Wal-Mart and even bought a cheap mattress to sleep on from Wal-Mart because he didn't know how long he would last in the NFL. Here we are 7 seasons later and he is still playing. He also is a great character guy, gives out a lot of donations in the Chicago area city.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never thought of Leno until today and you guys bringing him up, I like the idea. He is only 29 years old and is healthy. He also is at least an average LOT which playing by Nelson's side will be good enough. He would be the best LOT on our team as well. I read a story about him, where he was picked in the 7th round and he actually did all his shopping at Wal-Mart and even bought a cheap mattress to sleep on from Wal-Mart because he didn't know how long he would last in the NFL. Here we are 7 seasons later and he is still playing. He also is a great character guy, gives out a lot of donations in the Chicago area city.

He was actually ranked higher last season on PFF than Costanzo. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, w87r said:

Lol. 

Im starting to feel like Chris Ballard. This is suppose to be OT thread and I keep talking about DL.

Anyway, just thought about it because Wentzsyn just posted a clip about a LT question on radio interview and Ballard started talking about Paye and Dayo. Lol

Definitely hoping for Leno/Fisher bit will be nice to hear a breakdown on Tevi.

lmao

I appreciate it, because they're pretty candid about the positives and negatives. It's definitely not a puff piece to make us feel better about Tevi, just understand his strengths and weaknesses a bit better.

• Like 1

Just curious, starting OT's usually get paid in the 12-18 range with some higher than that. He got cut because he was making under 9? Why? Who can they get to replace him for under that??

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Just curious, starting OT's usually get paid in the 12-18 range with some higher than that. He got cut because he was making under 9? Why? Who can they get to replace him for under that??

They drafted Teven Jenkins.

The Bears aren't terrible.  Of the QBs drafted, Fields might have the most success early, especially if Rodgers is traded out of Green Bay.

13 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Rookie RT Jenkins.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

That sucks. Really starting to get worried. Not putting any playmakers around Wentz, AND failing to protect his blindside? That's a recipe for disaster. Sure hope they get something moving. 

I think our WRs/TE/RBs are adequate enough. As for LT there’s plenty of time to address that it’s not like season is next week or month lol 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

That sucks. Really starting to get worried. Not putting any playmakers around Wentz, AND failing to protect his blindside? That's a recipe for disaster. Sure hope they get something moving. 

We have plenty of playmakers and we did draft a TE.

The current FA tackle situation is like the housing market here in the north east. Very low inventory. Houses are going quick and above asking price. If Ballard doesn't move quick....the inventory will be depleted .

• Like 2

• Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic