Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

CS Coltsfan

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/bears-to-release-charles-leno/

Leno, 29, may not be out of work for long, as there are still teams — like the Colts — looking for veteran tackle depth on their respective offensive lines following the draft

Mentioned the Colts here.

Doesn't seam to be a popular move so far by the post, but he has history woth OL coach and ot can do a guy wonders joining this group rather than maybe being the best guy on his old OL.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder how Leno's stats compare to Tevis? I'm too lazy to Google!

Would be interested to see this as well.

I know Tevi's pass pro numbers were pretty good compared next to Castonzo.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We just released RB Paul Perkins today opening up a roster spot.

Hopefully we bring in Fisher or Villaneuva. Ballard still needs to identify a longterm LT for this team though to make this OL complete and elite once again. 

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hopefully we bring in Fisher or Villaneuva. Ballard still needs to identify a longterm LT for this team though to make this OL complete and elite once again. 

Seems as something might be in the cards with the roster spot opening up.

Starting to think Leno might be a better option than both those guys though.

17 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Charles Leno Jr was just released by the Chicago Bears. Former 7th round pick, started 93 consecutive games for the Bears.  This player confuses me, PFF rated him 87.0 in pass blocking but he gave up 5 sacks in 2020 and gets penalized a lot. 

Also his overall pff grade is one percentage point better than castonzo for last year

• w87r changed the title to Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)
52 minutes ago, w87r said:

A team that made the playoffs?

Anyway, there is this from late December.

Bears have the 2nd worse cap space before this release.  Around 400k.  Saints have the worse.  This release saves them 6.2m.  I think was definitely done for cap reasons.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Bears have the 2nd worse cap space before this release.  Around 400k.  Saints have the worse.  This release saves them 6.2m.  I think was definitely done for cap reasons.

Definitely

I don't think they've released yet, like I just posted above be surprised if they don't try and trade first.

Either way I hope we make the move. Seems like a perfect fit.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So would I.  I was wondering whether they would try to get something.  

Why would anyone trade for him now when the Bears have telegraphed they're realising him?! As said it's probably a cap situation so any team wanting him will wait it out until he's inevitably let go surely.

3 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Why would anyone trade for him now when the Bears have telegraphed they're realising him?! As said it's probably a cap situation so any team wanting him will wait it out until he's inevitably let go surely.

It happens all the time.

Raiders were going to release Hudson earlier this offseason but traded him to Cardinals first. Many more instances, just going to reference that and list couple more reasons.

1. Maybe the $6.2m left is appealing to new team

2. By trading you eliminate risk of losing him signing to another team

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Does that mean we would be able to sign this guy for around 6 million.

Maybe, doubt it though, that is why trade intrigues me more.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

It happens all the time.

Raiders were going to release Hudson earlier this offseason but traded him to Cardinals first. Many more instances, just going to reference that and list couple more reasons.

Leno has a tweet out there thanking the Bears fans for their support and looking forward to the next chapter.  Sure looks like he has been released.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Leno has a tweet out there thanking the Bears fans for their support and looking forward to the next chapter.  Sure looks like he has been released.

Yeah, it does appear he has been, whichever it is, hopefully he just needs to make a trip down I-65 to Indy, for his next home.

As dangerous as that journey is. @PrincetonTiger 

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

It happens all the time.

So I assume the Bears will weight up if they care more for the 3mill extra in cap saving they get realising him or lose that and gain a mid/low draft pick. Rapoport on Twitter said it will be designated at pre June cut so maybe they already made their choice. But yeah either way I'd think he's worth looking at at the very least.

1 minute ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So I assume the Bears will weight up if they care more for the 3mill extra in cap saving they get realising him or lose that and gain a mid/low draft pick. Rapoport on Twitter said it will be designated at pre June cut so maybe they already made their choice. But yeah either way I'd think he's worth looking at at the very least.

Yeah post June 1st cut would save more for them this year.

Doubt a mid round pick would make them take the extra hit this year. They could work out a post june 1st trade though.

Also something to consider though is even if designated post june 1st cut, that doesn't free up the space until then, it isn't immediate, which may be ok because they don't have to sign draft picks yet.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully his agent is reaching out to Ballard as his 1st call.  This seems like a no brainer.

Definitely does.

Need

OL talent in place

Coach familiarity

2 hours ago, #12. said:

No, I think you're missing PFF's point.  That's fine in the first round, I suppose, but if the end result is coming away with nothing at all and a hole at the position, what is worse, forcing it or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse. I agree with them.  Not forcing it is one of those things Ballard says and people repeat, but does it really make sense in every case?  No, it doesn't.   Ballard said several times that tackles went off the board right in front of them in the 2nd.  Well, you should have moved up like you did for Taylor.

I just want to clarify that you would trade up for a lesser player at a position of need over staying put and getting a player higher on your board?

Also not doing anything is called patience which Irsay has said is his favorite quality in Ballard

Just now, Zoltan said:

Also not doing anything is called patience which Irsay has said is his favorite quality in Ballard

And it seems the chances have increased that, that patience might pay off.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

PFF made a great point.   Ballard doesn't want to force a pick at LT.  Well, what's worse, forcing a pick or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse.  The Colts just had one QB retire after being beaten up for years.  

I'm sure Ballard will do something, but considering the importance of the position, I would have preferred trading up in the 2nd.  I would gladly give up another pick for a starting LT.

Not sure if PFF said this exactly, but if they did this is incredibly hypocritical of them. They advocate BPA but then want you to take players to fill needs. People, even supposedly analytically inclined ones will never learn and intuitively lean towards needs... Free agency is for filling needs, the draft is for acquiring the best talent available. I will never kill a GM or FO for going according to their board even if it leaves needs not addressed. If a need is left unaddressed that's a failure of free agency, not a failure of drafting. 

For whatever it's worth, I still think they will address LT by the start of the season and if they don't I will not give Ballard a pass if LT proves to be a problem for the team... I will just count it as free agency blunder, not a draft miss.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

PFF made a great point.   Ballard doesn't want to force a pick at LT.  Well, what's worse, forcing a pick or doing nothing at all?  Doing nothing at all is worse.  The Colts just had one QB retire after being beaten up for years.  

I'm sure Ballard will do something, but considering the importance of the position, I would have preferred trading up in the 2nd.  I would gladly give up another pick for a starting LT.

First I am not a troll and what I am about to say is my opinion only. I have been watching the Colts since the Johnny U and Raymond Berry days. That QB you mention couldn't have been protected by any O-Line including the one we have now. He waited too long on plays and didn't check down to secondary targets. He also took severe punishment rushing the football. His release was not slow. He just waited for things to develop that simply weren't there and that is why he took such a beating. No offensive line can hold off the pass rush for extended time. 

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not sure if PFF said this exactly, but if they did this is incredibly hypocritical of them. They advocate BPA but then want you to take players to fill needs. People, even supposedly analytically inclined ones will never learn and intuitively lean towards needs... Free agency is for filling needs, the draft is for acquiring the best talent available. I will never kill a GM or FO for going according to their board even if it leaves needs not addressed. If a need is left unaddressed that's a failure of free agency, not a failure of drafting. 

For whatever it's worth, I still think they will address LT by the start of the season and if they don't I will not give Ballard a pass if LT proves to be a problem for the team... I will just count it as free agency blunder, not a draft miss.

I watched their stream for days 2 and 3. Their constant opinion about the Colts draft picks were that we have the gaping hole at LT and didn't address it. To them, they liked us picking Paye, but thought we shouldn't have passed on Darrisaw in the 1st. They liked Dayo, but hated that we didn't address LT again. It was a bit irritating to hear their commentary of our picks through the lens of "did they pick a LT? well...."

I absolutely agree with you though. I'm hopeful that we'll at least have a solution in place by the start of the season. I'm not sold on Tevi's previous body of work, but honestly, sometimes moving to the right blocking scheme, with the right guy lined up next to you can make all the difference.

32 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

First I am not a troll and what I am about to say is my opinion only. I have been watching the Colts since the Johnny U and Raymond Berry days. That QB you mention couldn't have been protected by any O-Line including the one we have now. He waited too long on plays and didn't check down to secondary targets. He also took severe punishment rushing the football. His release was not slow. He just waited for things to develop that simply weren't there and that is why he took such a beating. No offensive line can hold off the pass rush for extended time. 

I have watched A LOT of tape & I will disagree with that for the MOST part. Luck did hold the ball sometimes. He wasn't Tom Brady or Manning on his release & getting rid of the ball quickly. 

However; I really do believe it was the scheme. First, Bruce Arians scheme gets a lot of QB's injured. The routes take FOREVER to unfold. Thus, the QB's get hit more against good pass rushing defenses. Pep's scheme was similar in that we threw a lot of PA after abandoning screens and crossing routes. Chud wasn't much better. 

For the majority of Luck's career, I was so annoyed that we practically refused to throw crossers & screens.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Would be surprised of they dont try and get a pick out of him before they just release him.

I would throw them a 5th, 4th if need be.?

They will designate him a post June 1st cut-

"Releasing Leno as a post-June 1 designation will save the Bears $9 million in cap while accounting for $2.3 million in dead cap in 2021, per Over The Cap.

Leno will be free to sign with a team in need of a starting left tackle, and at 29 years old, he still has plenty of good ball left in him. An obvious pairing would land Leno just one state to the east, Indiana, where he could fill Indianapolis' biggest remaining need and wouldn't meet a financial hurdle, thanks to the Colts having among the most remaining cap space in the league."

I wonder what happens later today as far as Colts pursuing him?

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

The move will officially be a post-June 1 cut and clear $9 million in salary cap space for the Bears.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31384011/chicago-bears-cutting-left-tackle-charles-leno-trading-select-teven-jenkins

Oh that’s interesting. I assume we will hear where he plans on signing before that.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/bears-to-release-charles-leno/

Mentioned the Colts here.

Doesn't seam to be a popular move so far by the post, but he has history woth OL coach and ot can do a guy wonders joining this group rather than maybe being the best guy on his old OL.

Would be interested to see this as well.

I know Tevi's pass pro numbers were pretty good compared next to Castonzo.

Compared to Tevi, Charles Leno Jr.'s PFF numbers are actually better for 2020. He made a significant jump from his 58+ rating in 2019 to 74+ in 2020, color me intrigued, even starters float around 70+ ratings consistently (for those wondering, Eric Fisher was at 80 for 2020). 

Charles Leno Jr. 2020 - 74.6

Sam Tevi 2020 - 52.9

23 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Except for the fact Smith has never played LT at any level and his arm reach is considered too short for the position, while Nelson played the spot all his life and was an All American at the position which he considered his natural spot, so there is that.

He's played LG roughly twice as much of his life as he ever saw as a LT, and that was about 8 years ago.....

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So two teams want him. One team offers the Bears a draft pick and one does not. Guess who gets him?

Mod Edit:

Archived