Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

CS Coltsfan

I am not saying we Do NOT get a starter at LT tonight or top of the second if we trade back,  but if we don't look for Ballard to grab Fischer... He knows who

he is and he has gained extra lower picks for our losses this year and the team are excellent ...( since Pollian  left) at managing our cap and extensions... we just signed Nelson to a fifth year... I'm excited to see what we do... just wanted to give a heads up for people if you don't see us get who you think we should.... Ballard knows the Whole Board today and the future... I for one am very happy to have him as a GM...

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

I am not saying we Do NOT get a starter at LT tonight or top of the second if we trade back,  but if we don't look for Ballard to grab Fischer... He knows who

he is and he has gained extra lower picks for our losses this year and the team are excellent ...( since Pollian  left) at managing our cap and extensions... we just signed Nelson to a fifth year... I'm excited to see what we do... just wanted to give a heads up for people if you don't see us get who you think we should.... Ballard knows the Whole Board today and the future... I for one am very happy to have him as a GM...

There are literally potential starters still available at LT as a day 2 pick. I think people forget how deep this draft is at Tackle we will get our LT round 2 you can count on it.

I'm thinking the Colts will go with the BPA that is a CB , OL , WR,TE or S in round 2. If not a LT , I'll go with Holder to be our starter . Also , we shouldn't forget that we don't have a statue at QB this year. 

Stone Forsythe.  Info on a little known prospect from USATODAY:

Turn on his game tape and you’ll see a fluid mover with smooth pass sets and the ability to latch onto defenders. Some of his best performances came against top-tier competition too like Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari, Kentucky’s Jamar Watson, and Alabama’s Christopher Allen in the SEC Championship Game. The NFL is a passing league and pass protection is Forsythe’s biggest asset.

Like any draft prospect, you’ll also see some very noticeable areas where he needs improvement. Forsythe doesn’t get a lot of push in the ground game off the line of scrimmage. Sometimes he misses his targets in the run game and screen game when he’s on the move. His size is an asset, but it also poses a constant problem with his pad level. There are also times when he struggles to use length as effectively as he could.

Official pro-day results for Florida OT Stone Forsythe. Good all-around workout for the big man.

HT 6080 WT 307 Hand 10 Arm 34 3/8 Wing 83 1/4 40-yd 5.14/5.15 VJ 27.5 BJ 8-7 SS 4.65 3C 7.47 BP 25 reps

Jenkins, Eichenberg, Radunz, Little and Cosmi are all still on the board. At least one of them should be available by our pick tonight. Cincy should jump on Jenkins, and Eichenberg will probably follow not too long afterwards. That leaves Radunz, Little and Cosmi as potential prospects for us. 

46 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Jenkins, Eichenberg, Radunz, Little and Cosmi are all still on the board. At least one of them should be available by our pick tonight. Cincy should jump on Jenkins, and Eichenberg will probably follow not too long afterwards. That leaves Radunz, Little and Cosmi as potential prospects for us. 

Christenson as well.  Heard his name more and more frequently the last couple weeks

I think it's interesting that Ballard spoke of some of the tackles that were on the board as not being prototypical left tackles. I wonder if that means they weren't sure about Darrisaw in some way. I think he's a LT through and through, but maybe it means he wasn't considered a great fit in their eyes?

Now if we're talking about Radunz, Eichenburg, Jenkins, etc., sure. But I didn't think that about Darrisaw.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think it's interesting that Ballard spoke of some of the tackles that were on the board as not being prototypical left tackles. I wonder if that means they weren't sure about Darrisaw in some way. I think he's a LT through and through, but maybe it means he wasn't considered a great fit in their eyes?

Now if we're talking about Radunz, Eichenburg, Jenkins, etc., sure. But I didn't think that about Darrisaw.

Zack keefer said a source inside told him there were high on darrisaw so I assume that means they thought he was a LT.  I think he clearly has the size.  Work ethic is the one concern I heard about him.  

most of the other guys have short arms.  I think Jenkins can handle LT. Radunz too but it may take a while for the leap in competition for him.  I also like little for size but that is a big health risk 

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Spot on, Ballard does tell you what he's thinking if you pay close attention.  Essentially he told us he wasn't going OT in rd1 when he spoke about how much he liked the guys we had and emphasized the guys we brought in.  He also said there's still a long way until we start the season so I expect us to see more FA activity post draft, that could mean a FA OT, so we can can only speculate.  I still think we sign Houston and I expect Paye is more of a replacement for Autry than Houston.  He also mentioned how important is was for LT to be athletic to match up with these dynamic pass rushers, to me that sounds like Cosmi.  Final note, he also said "we may move up." I would not be surprised to see us move up and get an OT in RD 2 today.  Nobody knows how it will go until the board plays out...including Ballard! Get out your popcorn!

He's already telegraphed what olineman he was going to draft: landon young, dante smith or spencer brown - all tested off the charts as athletes and were quality ot's that can be had in the 3rd round and beyond. All of which could line up next to Q and be just fine.

I heard Alejandro Villanueva is signing with the Ravens so that leaves Eric Fisher out there. I just can't see a scenario where Tevi or Davenport start at LT or Big Q moves to LT. Maybe Ballard is high on those men. I knew once Cosmi and Radunz were gone Ballard just said F it and doubled down on DE. Something he said in the conference yesterday after the 1st round really interested me. He said "None of the them were prototypical left tackles" When Ballard says something you better believe it. 

I just read an article that stated Fisher could be back by late august from his achilles injury. If this is the case then I could see Ballard going after him. 

For what it's worth, if you go look at Charger QB Justin Herbert's rookie highlights, Tevi doesn't look that bad at left tackle. I know I've read that he had a lot of penalties, but he didn't look that bad.

and, Fisher is still out there although last I read he was talking to a lot of different clubs. 

12 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I heard Alejandro Villanueva is signing with the Ravens so that leaves Eric Fisher out there. I just can't see a scenario where Tevi or Davenport start at LT or Big Q moves to LT. Maybe Ballard is high on those men. I knew once Cosmi and Radunz were gone Ballard just said F it and doubled down on DE. Something he said in the conference yesterday after the 1st round really interested me. He said "None of the them were prototypical left tackles" When Ballard says something you better believe it. 

I just read an article that stated Fisher could be back by late august from his achilles injury. If this is the case then I could see Ballard going after him. 

I think his prototypical left tackle is Fisher and he is still out there in FA.  And he knows him well from KC.  He should have the edge as he did with Houston.  It certainly looks like he would be the obvious choice to fill the void.  He’s a former pro bowler and only 30.  The other guys can hold the fort till he’s healthy.  Hopefully he’s   the solution now.

There are several options.

1.  They could move Nelson or Smith.

2.  Despite what some appear to think the draft is not over tonight.  The Colts still have picks tomorrow and before someone says you can’t get a starting tackle this late in the draft Diem pointed out this is the 20th anniversary of the draft that saw him taken in the fourth round and DeMulling was taken in the seventh round of that draft.  They combined with an undrafted Saturday to form three fifths of the Colts line in Manning’s early days and helped block for Edge so you can find good players even later in the draft if you know what you are doing.

3.  They could sign one of the vets that is still out there.  
4.  Maybe they turn to one of the kids they signed.  Before people go crazy about that as I’ve said before GMs look at players for what they can do not what they have done.  Fans tend to look at that the other way.  Also while Nelson, Smith, and Kelly are all high picks Glow is not.  He was once a guy signed that fans asked why he even made the final roster and groaned when the Colts first started him.  History could repeat itself.   

Also, whatever they do might not be THE answer.  It could be a stop gap answer for a year like Rivers was at QB last year.  

The Colts have options not all is lost.  So let’s just see what they do.  I can promise you it’s not breaking news to them that they need to figure out the left tackle spot.  I am sure they have a plan even if we don’t know it.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There are several options.

1.  They could move Nelson or Smith.

2.  Despite what some appear to think the draft is not over tonight.  The Colts still have picks tomorrow and before someone says you can’t get a starting tackle this last in the draft Diem pointed out this is the 20th anniversary of the draft that saw him taken in the fourth round and DeMulling was taken in the seventh round of that draft.  They combined with an undrafted Saturday to form three fifths of the Colts line in Manning’s early days and helped block for Edge so you can find good players even later in the draft if you know what you are doing.

3.  They could sign one of the vets that is still out there.  
4.  Maybe they turn to one of the kids they signed.  Before people go crazy about that as I’ve said before GMs look at players for what they can do not what they have done.  Fans tend to look at that the other way.  Also while Nelson, Smith, and Kelly are all high picks Glow is not.  He was once a guy signed that fans asked why he even made the final roster and groaned when the Colts first started him.  History could repeat itself.   

Also, whatever they do might not be THE answer.  It could be a stop gap answer for a year like Rivers was at QB last year.  

The Colts have options not all is lost.  So let’s just see what they do.  I can promise you it’s not breaking news to them that they need to figure out the left tackle spot.  I am sure they have a plan even if we don’t know it.  

Yeah, my tired half-drunken self was starting to crawl to the edge, but after reading this I feel better. Just have to let this all play out and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

To not come out of this deep OT class with a quality prospect there would be a mistake by Ballard. LT must be covered in 2021 and moving Nelson there would be unwise IMO. 

Not necessarily.  It becomes a mistake if someone like Darrisaw becomes a hall of farmer and paye is a bust.  Otherwise it’s what Ballard said last night sometimes the draft falls for you sometimes it doesn’t.  Last night it did.  Tonight it didn’t at least at tackle.  The key is to stay true to your board and don’t reach just because you “need” something.  If you do that and your scouting department is good at their job more times than not you’ll have a successful draft.  

1 minute ago, Gigc said:

there is a big kid left from Marshall. He's very talented, but he's had some serious off-field stuff. 

Name is Josh Ball. 

Heck, if we’re going to take that kind of a chance, may as well pick up Isaiah Wilson.  Guy went from a 2020 first rounder to dumped by two teams in less than a year.  I don’t think he lasted a week with the Dolphins.

He’s a great example why Ballard is the way he is about character and attitude.

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

I know player heal differently, but Brandon Brooks massive OG for Eagles tore his achilles a few years ago in January and started week 1 the following year.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I think it was more about Paye than about Darrisaw. They just loved him that much. I had Paye ranked higher too... But I would have loved Darrisaw too.

doesn’t sound like moving Nelson or Smith is the plan.  Don’t be shocked if Tevi or Davenport ends up starting at LT.  I know many won’t like it but many didn’t like when Glow first started either.  Again GMs look at players for what they can do and the Colts might see something in one of those two guys.  They could also be a stop gap for a year until a full time answer can be found not unlike Charlie Johnson was after Ugoh busted and before they got AC.  

They could also turn to mid round pick like Johnson or Diem was.  Johnson played so well as a rookie that when he came in in the Super Bowl Peyton Manning the man who notices everything didn’t even notice famously asking him late in the game how long have you been in here?  So it’s not impossible to have success with a mid round pick especially when he’s playing next to an all pro guard.  

Unless you make some other trade, I'm guessing Tevi holds down the fort until Fisher is ready.  Ballard said they're probably not moving any of the other four and didn't sound too optimistic about finding a starting LT late.  Outside of Fisher, what other options are there?   Assuming he returns okay from injury, he is only 30 and could be your Justin Houston at LT, giving you 2-3 more years.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

To not come out of this deep OT class with a quality prospect there would be a mistake by Ballard. LT must be covered in 2021 and moving Nelson there would be unwise IMO. 

Clearly this OT class has been over-rated.   It’s a good to very good class.   But it’s not great.  

And Ballard said he graded Dayo higher than the OT’s that were picked in front of the Colts.    The Colts preferred the player they took over the remaining OT’s. 

Ballard has a plan.   We just don’t know what it is?   I’m hoping it’s to sign Fisher to a 2-year deal.   Maybe 3 years?   Or maybe it’s someone like Okung?   Hard to know....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Clearly this OT class has been over-rated.   It’s a good to very good class.   But it’s not great.  

And Ballard said he graded Dayo higher than the OT’s that were picked in front of the Colts.    The Colts preferred the player they took over the remaining OT’s. 

Ballard has a plan.   We just don’t know what it is?   I’m hoping it’s to sign Fisher to a 2-year deal.   Maybe 3 years?   Or maybe it’s someone like Okung?   Hard to know....

I hope this is correct, I'd be ok with a legit FA LT.

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

I hope this is correct, I'd be ok with a legit FA LT.

I would too.  In fact, I might even be better with it than relying on a rookie - especially if our draft room didn’t really love them.  But it’s obviously too early to say that the OT draft class was “overrated”, just because we didn’t pick one in the first 3 rounds.  They haven’t played a single snap yet.

Fisher has been a quality tackle in the NFL, if a moderate bust as an overall #1.  But, obviously, you have to be concerned about his effectiveness coming off an Achilles.  And any team that signs him has to assume that risk prior to it being (ahem) healed.

Archived