Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

26 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yes I agree with you and that what I was trying to convey in my post. Many of us had the 2 close and evidently the Colts did not view it that way.

That's a very good point.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

1st and 3d on QB

I know you were talking about damaged goods, but just looking at the QB position specifically.  The Colts spent a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th in the past two years on QB.  Paid Phil 25 million.  Paid Jacoby a hefty sum.  Paying Wentz 25 mill., whatever.   The price is getting up there.  We'll see if they should have just listened to you, gone all in and not nickeled and dimed it.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

I know you were talking about damaged goods, but just looking at the QB position specifically.  The Colts spent a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th in the past two years on QB.  Paid Phil 25 million.  Paid Jacoby a hefty sum.  Paying Wentz 25 mill., whatever.   The price is getting up there.  

The price is up there for all 32 teams.   Either in draft picks or money or both.  Everybody is paying more.    

By comparison, the Colts investments are actually pretty modest.  The 4th and 6th round picks are for the backups.   That’s actually really good.   The money we’re spending is the going rate for top-16 starting QBs. 

The Colts are very well managed. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The price is up there for all 32 teams.   Either in draft picks or money or both.  Everybody is paying more.    

By comparison, the Colts investments are actually pretty modest.  The 4th and 6th round picks are for the backups.   That’s actually really good.   The money we’re spending is the going rate for top-16 starting QBs. 

The Colts are very well managed. 

If Wentz works, sure.  Given the circumstances, I thought it was the right move.

If he doesn't....

If he doesn't, you're sitting there with two QBs with zero NFL experience, already out a number of draft picks and already out a fair bit of coin.  

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Wentz works, sure.  Given the circumstances, I thought it was the right move.

If he doesn't....

If he doesn't, you're sitting there with two QBs with zero NFL experience, already out a number of draft picks and already out a fair bit of coin.  

If he doesn’t...   and he’ll get at least two years to prove himself,  the Colts will start searching for his replacement.   The cost for Wentz, a 1 and a 3, is one of the lowest costs for any quarterback traded for.   So it doesn’t cripple the franchise if CW doesn’t work out. 

The money is the going rate.   Not a big deal. The other two picks, which are both low, are for the backups.   Most teams invest more than that.  

Put another way,  plenty of teams that traded up two weeks ago are going to see their QB not pan out in the next 3 years.   Their player will bust.  And those teams are in much worse shape because they spent far more in draft capital to move up.   Our situation is far more desirable. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's all about Wentz.

Edge is probably gonna be a step back in 2021, but it wasn't a strength last season IMO. And I think now we have the potential to be better in the future. Wild card is probably Turay, if he's healthy and can show something, and Paye, if he's ready to contribute in Year 1.

Corner, LB, safety, kind of a push all told. We get some help at corner, losing Walker hurts but not that much IMO, safety is basically the same with room for growth from the young guys. 

Receiver is about Pittman and Campbell, with a chance for TY to be more productive with a more dynamic QB. TE/RB all basically the same. I think OL should be fine, AC didn't have his finest year in 2020 anyway, and I think even average LT play can be mitigated with the other factors on the offense.

So the question is whether Wentz can play at a high level. Just his 2019 level of play, which was not his former dynamic, franchise QB level of play, but was still top ten. If we get that from Wentz, I think the offense is better, good enough to convert well on third down, and hold a lead in the 4th quarter. And there's some potential for great QB play, based on what we've seen in the past. I think that's the only question in my mind, is how well can Wentz play for us. If he's bad, nothing else really matters.

Agree on pretty much everything. I think several positions have potential to be better than last year: WR(better health, internal development), CB(return of Tell, internal development of the young guys - I really think both Tell and Rodgers had some intriguing moments in their respective rookie years, I want to see how they develop... hopefully Rock gets better too), EDGE(this is a controversial one because I can see it going both ways - Paye could come in ready to play and wreck the league and Kemoko might return to healthy play... the biggest reason that EDGE doesn't worry me is - they are not measuring against amazing pass-rush combo from last year... we were pretty bad pass rushing from the EDGE last year so... it's easier to improve from that point). 

OL might take a slight step back, especially if Fisher is not ready early, but I feel like we can weather that storm, both because the rest of the line stays the same and they have good chemistry and because Frank has shown in the past that he would help his OL and QB with his playcalling if he feels they are mismatched. 

RB is rock solid... it's one of the best RB stables in the league. We have power and game breaking speed with Taylor, we have shiftiness with Mack, we have a dynamic pass-catching option in Hines... 

TE might be a wash... I guess it depends on Granson but either way I don't think it will be fundamentally different unit than the one last year. Same with LB... I don't feel like Walker is a huge loss... I don't think he was bad for us, but I think he's replaceable. 

ST is interesting... I am not as confident in the kicking game as most people seem to be. But lets see how Blankenship does in his year 2. 

So like with a lot of situations in the league the true decider will be the QB. I have a bit of an outlier of an opinion I think because I think the range of outcomes is relatively polarized because of the style Wentz plays, the playcalling of Frank and the strength of the roster. I think he either will take on to coaching and to a huge degree return to his form and because of the strength of this roster look great overall (better than 2019 and 2018) or he will continue his spiral down into the abyss, not listen to Frank and look about as bad as he did last year in which case we are screwed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

So... what's your answer to the ultimate question now that the roster is to a huge degree complete? Did we get better? 

My answer right now is - it's a wash... and the deciding factor will be Wentz. 

My answer is yes.  Disregarding the QB for a moment I think Ballard did a great job improving the depth on the roster especially in the OL and DL lines.  I was worried when the off season started with all of our FA's but Ballard managed to sign the ones he wanted and picked up some nice depth overall as well.  The draft , as usual, has the making of a very good one with quite a few of the new guys being counted on to make some significant contributions.  Which I think they will.  The QB is the unknown but all signs are pointing upward for his success.  His familiarity with the system and coaches are huge plusses. That's what helped Rivers last year.  The roster is set up for his success. Significantly better than what he started with last year.   So for me all is looking good.  I think we are in better position to make a run this year than last.  Which is saying a lot.  We are definitely in win now mode again and ready to make the leap.  I like this years team better than last years.  Can't wait.  

• Like 1