Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any news on Houston?

John Hammonds

Has anybody heard anything new on Justin Houston?

Or are we still in the perpetual offer conversation:

We've made you an offer

We think your offer is too low

You are free to see if someone else will give you the offer you want

Nobody else is offering our kind of money

So will you take our offer

....  wash, rinse, repeat

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

We've made you an offer

Sure feels that way

I could see him waiting for a true contender to offer him a one year deal for similar money. He was making around 12mil.  What if a team like KC, GB, Buf etc...offer something at 7-9mil? Those teams have a legit chance to win a SB.  Otherwise, I don’t see why he would not resign with us yet. Or he could be holding out for the same money.  Squeezing a team for another million is a smart play at the end of your career.  Get whatever you can bc the big pay days are about to end

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I could see Ballard doing a two-year deal and let him retire here

I see a 1 year deal being done.

It would be the happy medium between "I have too much pride to play for less than what I THINK I am worth for 2 years and will bet on myself" Houston side and "don't want to overpay a pass rusher on the wrong side of 30 plus need to see how the cap goes up in a year" Ballard side. 

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

We've made you an offer

I heard on for the Colture podcast that the Colts weren't resigning him. But I don't know how reliable that it is. He said he heard from a very good and dependable source. I don't have the podcast because I heard it quite a while ago. 

31 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I heard on for the Colture podcast that the Colts weren't resigning him. But I don't know how reliable that it is. He said he heard from a very good and dependable source. I don't have the podcast because I heard it quite a while ago. 

For me Ballard needs to sign one of the available FA ER's.  If not Houston then someone else.  I can't believe he will enter the season with a potentially weaker DL than he had last year.  Counting on a rookie to make an immediate impact this year doesn't feel like a Ballard move.  Especially with this ER class.  Need another veteran from somewhere I would think.  Final cuts?  A big gamble.  Trade?  A real long shot but I guess we shouldn't rule it out.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

For me Ballard needs to sign one of the available FA ER's.  If not Houston then someone else.  I can't believe he will enter the season with a potentially weaker DL than he had last year.  Counting on a rookie to make an immediate impact this year doesn't feel like a Ballard move.  Especially with this ER class.  Need another veteran from somewhere I would think.  Final cuts?  A big gamble.  Trade?  A real long shot but I guess we shouldn't rule it out.  

We look like we are weaker right now but until the season starts we just don’t know. Maybe the young guys take a step forward.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I would say incredibly unreliable. At least one of the guys has proven to be wrong and wrong again. And normally tries to escape his completely wrong prediction

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe waiting to see what happens in the draft. Could Ballard also be working on some kind of trade also? We will see.

I am expecting Turay to make a big jump.  A trade is always possible. Given the choice I think I would prefer trading for an ER and drafting the new LT if we were thinking about trading for a missing piece.  

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

It's possible we could be looking at Jabaal Sheard 2.0.

"Luv ya, buddy.  You're our kind of guy.  Nobody better.  Have a nice life."

But what we have left is truly not gonna cut it.  It's a collection of backups, with not much to show:

Kemoko Turay, 6-5 248# started 3 games out of 25 in 3 years, 6.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 1 TFL

Tyquan Lewis, 6-3 277#  started 10 games out of 33 in 3 years, 6 sacks, 15 QB hits, 12 TFL

Ben Banogu, 6-3 252#  started 0 games out of 25 in 2 years, 2.5 sacks, 5 QB hits, 3 TFL

A-Q Muhammad, 6-4 250#  started 8 games out of 47 in 3 years, 5.0 sacks, 17 QB hits, 15 TFL

Isaac Rochell, 6-4 280#  started 9 out of 51 games in 4 years, 9.5 sacks, 12 QB hits, 10 TFL

TBH, resigning Houston for whatever he has left in the tank is better than this.  Even if we drafted a DE with a high pick, it wouldn't solve for this mess.

Just think if Houston goes to another team and then we win the Super Bowl. He has done that before. Someone in his camp needs to tell him that he is close to the end of his career and the Colts are in the drivers seat as a legitimate Super Bowl contender. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe waiting to see what happens in the draft. Could Ballard also be working on some kind of trade also? We will see.

Possibly. Houston faded over the last half of the season. He started the year very well though. I kind of see him as a rotational piece at this stage of his career. And a lot of that will depend on the talent we bring in. If Houston wants big money then he probably won’t get it. He has made 94 million over his career and averaged a good chunk of change per season. It would make sense if he isn’t interested in playing anymore, if his offer is somewhere around 4-6 million on a one year deal. 

If I had to guess, I’d speculate we are apart in both dollars and years.  

My guess is Houston wants two years, and we’re offering one.

My guess is we’re offering $6-7 mill per, and he wants $8-9 per.   

The thing is...   Houston is very patient.  Two years ago, he waited two weeks to sign.  Now we’re closer to 3-4 weeks.   We have to hope nothing bad happens elsewhere that might make another team increase their offer.  Because if they do, I’m not convinced CB will match.   And then, we’d have to look elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Possibly. Houston faded over the last half of the season. He started the year very well though. I kind of see him as a rotational piece at this stage of his career. And a lot of that will depend on the talent we bring in. If Houston wants big money then he probably won’t get it. He has made 94 million over his career and averaged a good chunk of change per season. It would make sense if he isn’t interested in playing anymore, if his offer is somewhere around 4-6 million on a one year deal. 

I don't think it's accurate at all to say he faded the last half of the season. At least not from a stat perspective. Our schedule was also tougher the 2nd half. 

The last 8 games.

4.5 of his 8 total sacks

14 of 25 pressures

14 of 25 combined tackles 

only one missed tackles

So in short, over 50% of his stats came 2nd half of the season.

53 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's possible we could be looking at Jabaal Sheard 2.0.

"Luv ya, buddy.  You're our kind of guy.  Nobody better.  Have a nice life."

But what we have left is truly not gonna cut it.  It's a collection of backups, with not much to show:

Kemoko Turay, 6-5 248# started 3 games out of 25 in 3 years, 6.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 1 TFL

Tyquan Lewis, 6-3 277#  started 10 games out of 33 in 3 years, 6 sacks, 15 QB hits, 12 TFL

Ben Banogu, 6-3 252#  started 0 games out of 25 in 2 years, 2.5 sacks, 5 QB hits, 3 TFL

A-Q Muhammad, 6-4 250#  started 8 games out of 47 in 3 years, 5.0 sacks, 17 QB hits, 15 TFL

Isaac Rochell, 6-4 280#  started 9 out of 51 games in 4 years, 9.5 sacks, 12 QB hits, 10 TFL

TBH, resigning Houston for whatever he has left in the tank is better than this.  Even if we drafted a DE with a high pick, it wouldn't solve for this mess.

I’m sorry, but I think this is a fans view, not a GM’s.   A fan sees what we have now.  A GM and his scouts try to see what a player can become.   

Your comments basically say we’ve seen the best if these players, that they can’t get better.   That’s not the way football people think.

You may be right about one, some, or all of these guys.  But football people want to give players a better opportunity to show what they can do.   A number of years ago, a Colts fan could’ve said the same negative things about Jerry Hughes.   We gave up too soon, traded him, and he turned into a very good player for Buffalo.   This is a slice of history that we don’t want to repeat.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sorry, but I think this is a fans view, not a GM’s.   A fan sees what we have now.  A GM and his scouts try to see what a player can become.   

Your comments basically say we’ve seen the best if these players, that they can’t get better.   That’s not the way football people think.

You may be right about one, some, or all of these guys.  But football people want to give players a better opportunity to show what they can do.   A number of years ago, a Colts fan could’ve said the same negative things about Jerry Hughes.   We gave up too soon, traded him, and he turned into a very good player for Buffalo.   This is a slice of history that we don’t want to repeat.  

I certainly hope you're right.  I mean, Denico Autry looked like this when we acquired him.  So... there's hope, yes?

46 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I certainly hope you're right.  I mean, Denico Autry looked like this when we acquired him.  So... there's hope, yes?

Classy response.  Not surprised.  Many thanks.    I hope I’m right too.   Another year of reading posts about the lack of production from our DE would drive me crazy.   I’m hungry to read good news on our kids.  

I try to be an optimistic fan.

I want to believe in Lewis.

I want to believe in Turay.

I want to believe in Banogu.

I want to believe in Muhammed.

I want to believe in Rochelle.   I hope San Diego wonders and worries what we see in him that they don’t seem to?

I even want to believe in Houston for another year.  
I want to believe in O’Neil, who was the first of our four 6th round picks last year. (I know he’s a DT and not a DE).

I want to believe in whoever we draft this year.   Please let him develop with our team.  

You’d think the Law of Averages would be on our side?  That some of our guys will get better?   Aren’t we due?   Even overdue?  

Damn, let’s find someone, or several someone’s, and let’s get better!   

Sorry for my rambling.... 

Thanks again for your response. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Classy response.  Not surprised.  Many thanks.    I hope I’m right too.   Another year of reading posts about the lack of production from our DE would drive me crazy.   I’m hungry to read good news on our kids.  

I try to be an optimistic fan.

I want to believe in Lewis.

I want to believe in Turay.

I want to believe in Banogu.

I want to believe in Muhammed.

I want to believe in Rochelle.   I hope San Diego wonders and worries what we see in him that they don’t seem to?

I even want to believe in Houston for another year.  
I want to believe in O’Neil, who was the first of our four 6th round picks last year. (I know he’s a DT and not a DE).

I want to believe in whoever we draft this year.   Please let him develop with our team.  

You’d think the Law of Averages would be on our side?  That some of our guys will get better?   Aren’t we due?   Even overdue?  

Damn, let’s find someone, or several someone’s, and let’s get better!   

Sorry for my rambling.... 

Thanks again for your response. 

You lost me with O’Neil.  Pinter?

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think it's accurate at all to say he faded the last half of the season. At least not from a stat perspective. Our schedule was also tougher the 2nd half. 

The last 8 games.

4.5 of his 8 total sacks

14 of 25 pressures

14 of 25 combined tackles 

only one missed tackles

So in short, over 50% of his stats came 2nd half of the season.

That’s just not correct. 

Houston had 3.5 sacks (8 total) in the first 4 games and 6 QB hits (12 total) in the first 5 games. 

His second half production is a mirage, because of the one huge game he had at Houston. There were many games over the last half of the season where Houston was non-existent. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

That’s just not correct. 

Houston had 3.5 sacks (8 total) in the first 4 games and 6 QB hits (12 total) in the first 5 games. 

His second half production is a mirage, because of the one huge game he had at Houston. There were many games over the last half of the season where Houston was non-existent. 

LOL, If you're going to discount his big games against Houston, how about discounting his games vs Jax and NYJs, which were 2 of first 4. We didn't play a team with a winning record in the first 4 games. All the OLs we played in the first 4 games were ranked 20th or lower. If you want to debate details, I can do that.

He was the only Colts defender to get a sack, and the only one to get a QBH, vs GB... 

53 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

That’s just not correct. 

I agree it's what I've been saying all along but he may be our best option at this point unfortunately.  I mean most of our remaining salary cap money should go to our draft picks and Leonard, Smith and Nelson. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was just talking about defensive lineman who have to prove themselves.   

I love Pinter and look forward to even better from him.   

No, I just meant that I couldn’t figure out who “O’Neil” was.  We’re you thinking about Pinter?

You’re post about wanting to believe is every fans hope and wish for why they think their team is going to succeed.  I call it the “If” factor.  As in, we will really be good IF Carson regains his form, IF Turay plays up to his potential, etc....

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, If you're going to discount his big games against Houston, how about discounting his games vs Jax and NYJs, which were 2 of first 4. We didn't play a team with a winning record in the first 4 games. All the OLs we played in the first 4 games were ranked 20th or lower. If you want to debate details, I can do that.

He was the only Colts defender to get a sack, and the only one to get a QBH, vs GB... 

I think we can both agree that Houston started the season better than he finished. And that is my point. He did fade down the stretch. It happens with older players. 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think we can both agree that Houston started the season better than he finished. And that is my point. He did fade down the stretch. It happens with older players. 

I agree, but you need production early in the season to make the playoffs.  

Archived