Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any news on Houston?

John Hammonds

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree, but you need production early in the season to make the playoffs.  

I agree. Which is why I think Houston is at the stage of his career where he is a rotational player. He can be productive if he is not expected to line up on every play. I think he would have been signed by now, if other teams thought he was more than that.

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I am expecting Turay to make a big jump.  A trade is always possible. Given the choice I think I would prefer trading for an ER and drafting the new LT if we were thinking about trading for a missing piece.  

IIRC, he made a big jump in the Buffalo playoff game.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

No, I just meant that I couldn’t figure out who “O’Neil” was.  We’re you thinking about Pinter?

You’re post about wanting to believe is every fans hope and wish for why they think their team is going to succeed.  I call it the “If” factor.  As in, we will really be good IF Carson regains his form, IF Turay plays up to his potential, etc....

I’m laughing at myself!  I think I had a bit of a Senior moment.   The guy I meant is Rob Windsor, our DT draft pick from Penn State in the 6th round. 

Windsor is said to have a quality that is my favorite for defensive players.  A motor that runs HOT all the time.   I love that in any defensive player.   I hope Windsor emerges as a rotational player this year. 

Sorry for the confusion.  My bad!     :facepalm:

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m laughing at myself!  I think I had a bit of a Senior moment.   The guy I meant is Rob Windsor, our DT draft pick from Penn State in the 6th round. 

Windsor is said to have a quality that is my favorite for defensive players.  A motor that runs HOT all the time.   I love that in any defensive player.   I hope Windsor emerges as a rotational player this year. 

This board needs more honesty like this. 

Good post!

Also, hoping you’re right about Windsor. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahh, I thought I was the one having the senior moment!  Agree on Windsor.  We need the young guys like him, Banogu, Lewis, Turay, etal, to come through.  IMO Edge rusher is the most glaring need on the team and we’re counting on it being helped in the draft, and those guys.  That’s risky.

I love everything Ballard has done, and he knows more about the team than any of us will.  But I really think he should have gone after one proven edge.  

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Ahh, I thought I was the one having the senior moment!  Agree on Windsor.  We need the young guys like him, Banogu, Lewis, Turay, etal, to come through.  IMO Edge rusher is the most glaring need on the team and we’re counting on it being helped in the draft, and those guys.  That’s risky.

I love everything Ballard has done, and he knows more about the team than any of us will.  But I really think he should have gone after one proven edge.  

I agree. Ballard is managing the cap for the big extensions that are coming. But the Colts are truly hurting on the Edge right now. There has to be a better plan than just the draft. I expect to see a pre-draft move soon.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:34 AM, Smonroe said:

No, I just meant that I couldn’t figure out who “O’Neil” was.  We’re you thinking about Pinter?

You’re post about wanting to believe is every fans hope and wish for why they think their team is going to succeed.  I call it the “If” factor.  As in, we will really be good IF Carson regains his form, IF Turay plays up to his potential, etc....

Isn’t that what the FO is banking on as well?   If they can get Wentz back to playing well and can develop their players they will be in very good shape.  The Colts aren’t done but they have made a series of moves the past 2-3 years to put us in this exact position.  This is the team Ballard built full of his players and staff.  We will see if it works.  I think it does and we win the division. 

20 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

IIRC, he made a big jump in the Buffalo playoff game.

Im glad that is being observed 

Turay WAS applying pressure in the last few 2-3 games

Hopefully he keeps that trend.

I think we need another DE that can play outside on running downs and kick inside on 3rd and long 

Thats where I think someone like Paye / Weaver / Sample / Basham would be a great guy to add to the rotation

Turay is a RDE speed dude, that struggles a bit against the run. If we were to take Oweh, for LDE I think we would start having problems against the run.

A LDE, that can effectively hold his own on run downs and get SOME pressure would be an effective add

Thats actually why I wouldnt mind a cheap prove it on Clowney. AND an early pick on a DE

The rotation would be improved

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think we need another DE that can play outside on running downs and kick inside on 3rd and long 

Thats where I think someone like Paye / Weaver / Sample / Basham would be a great guy to add to the rotation

Turay is a RDE speed dude, that struggles a bit against the run. If we were to take Oweh, for LDE I think we would start having problems against the run.

A LDE, that can effectively hold his own on run downs and get SOME pressure would be an effective add

Thats actually why I wouldnt mind a cheap prove it on Clowney. AND an early pick on a DE

Sadly, I was referring to his critical, inexcusable offsides.   lmao

36 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Sadly, I was referring to his critical, inexcusable offsides.   lmao

LOL

Thats a sort of "pressure" NONE of us want !!

Other than brain farts.... I thought he played a little better

I would like to keep adding DL talent, but its not like we were the worst in the NFL last year in rushing the passer

We just need some improvement .....    

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Let's assume Houston eventually signs elsewhere 

How comfortable are yall trading up for a guy like Kwity Paye?

If we lose 2nd I say no but am fine with giving up 4th.

I'd rather trade down and get two DEs like Perkins and Turner in the 2nd. Maybe even Basham if we're lucky.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I like Turner but he's gonna be a project.

Paye if drafted would be day 1 starter at DE 

Yeah but OT is a huge need too and 1st and 2nd are more or less locked in for OT and DE in my opinion. I don't see us trading up because we have nothing to trade with. Next years 1st and 2nd are locked in the Wentz trade.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Yeah but OT is a huge need too and 1st and 2nd are more or less locked in for OT and DE in my opinion. I don't see us trading up because we have nothing to trade with. Next years 1st and 2nd are locked in the Wentz trade.

if it all it takes is a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat for Paye

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

if it all it takes is a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat for Paye

Sure if we can get him by offering an additional 4th but trading up in the 1st is generally more expensive than the points system would suggest.

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If, he turns out to be a double digit sack guy, a 2nd is a small price to pay IMO. 

27 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If it's a 4th and swap 1st's, I'd do that every day and twice on Sunday for Paye. 

5 hours ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

I rather take a shot on Clowney.

I couldn't agree more.  This is the perfect storm for us to sign him.  Houston made 12m last year and Clowney made 13m.  There is no way either of them is going to hit those numbers again.  So now you have a 32 yr old vs a 28 yr old ER.  Houston is the easy, cheaper complacent choice of going with what you know and HOPING for a repeat of last year.  Clowney is the more aggressive choice an attempt to improve your team with a player teams have to game plan for.  A younger player with more upside.  Both will make less than what they made last year so he will not break the bank for us.  But he could be another difference maker on defense.  The cost is no longer prohibitive and the reward could be huge.  I think it's time for Ballard to take another swing.  It worked with Rhodes it can work with Clowney too.  Now the price is right. 

41 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

he's all over the place in the mock drafts.  From 11th to 26th.   I don't think the Colts will be able to move up more than 1 spot for a 4th round pick.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like the idea of a one year prove it deal for Clowney and grabbing a rookie Edge with the first pick. Clowney can play the run and has every incentive to show he can rush the QB again.... build that into his contract.  And our rookie won’t be needed to produce immediately. Which would be good because he likely won’t. 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If Ballard believes in him im 100% fine with it

But you said you'd trade up for him not Ballard. The only kind of player worth giving away picks like that for would be a player of the caliber of Chase Young, the Bosas, etc. I'm wondering if Paye is at that level otherwise why would you give up picks for a player who might not be better than Banogu or Turay?

*I don't know enough about Paye to judge.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

But you said you'd trade up for him not Ballard. The only kind of player worth giving away picks like that for would be a player of the caliber of Chase Young, the Bosas, etc. I'm wondering if Paye is at that level otherwise why would you give up picks for a player who might not be better than Banogu or Turay?

*I don't know enough about Paye to judge.

Surely anything can happen but at this current stage I'm sure Paye will have a big effect on someone's DL . Playing next to Buck would be big cause DB will eat up double teams. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I couldn't agree more.  This is the perfect storm for us to sign him.  Houston made 12m last year and Clowney made 13m.  There is no way either of them is going to hit those numbers again.  So now you have a 32 yr old vs a 28 yr old ER.  Houston is the easy, cheaper complacent choice of going with what you know and HOPING for a repeat of last year.  Clowney is the more aggressive choice an attempt to improve your team with a player teams have to game plan for.  A younger player with more upside.  Both will make less than what they made last year so he will not break the bank for us.  But he could be another difference maker on defense.  The cost is no longer prohibitive and the reward could be huge.  I think it's time for Ballard to take another swing.  It worked with Rhodes it can work with Clowney too.  Now the price is right. 

Wow....   glad you’re under no legal obligation to be fair and balanced here...

Let’s look at it another way. 

Clowney is great against the run, very poor at providing pass rush.   Clowney has a bad knee.  So his body may be 28, but his knee may be closer to 38.   Clowney is not known to be a team leader.  Clowney is more likely to hold out until August if he thinks it will get him close to his number.  It gives him the benefit of missing camp and practice.  We don’t appear to be interested.  Clowney had not been linked to the Colts.  No visit scheduled. 

Houston while getting 8-9 sacks last year also had the 5th or 6Th highest win rate.  He graded well with pressures and hits.   He’s not an old 32.   Houston is a leader on the field and locker room.   It’s just a matter of making the numbers work for both sides.  

There.   That wasn’t hard?   

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Its not a 1st and a 2nd next year. Its atleast a 2nd that could turn into a first if Carson plays over 70% of the snaps this year. So only 1 pick next year.

5 hours ago, life long said:

Its not a 1st and a 2nd next year. Its atleast a 2nd that could turn into a first if Carson plays over 70% of the snaps this year. So only 1 pick next year.

I know. I meant we can’t use either in a trade situation this year due to both being locked because it’s either a 1st or a 2nd depending on Wentz performance and health. 

Until Houston finally signs with us, we won’t know if it was him overvaluing himself or Ballard undervaluing him. Does a 1 year $8 mil. With all of it guaranteed represent close to his market value?

Let us say he gets offered that, stalls and goes and signs with another team for the same, wouldn’t that be like the Jake Scott situation where he signed with the Titans for the same amount just because his pride was hurt due to the fact he overvalued himself.

When he does sign eventually, we will know.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Until Houston finally signs with us, we won’t know if it was him overvaluing himself or Ballard undervaluing him. Does a 1 year $8 mil. With all of it guaranteed represent close to his market value?

Let us say he gets offered that, stalls and goes and signs with another team for the same, wouldn’t that be like the Jake Scott situation where he signed with the Titans for the same amount just because his pride was hurt due to the fact he overvalued himself.

When he does sign eventually, we will know.

My question is are we trying to resign Houston?

I don't have twitter but I saw on the board we had Kenny Moore doing all these tweets about Rhodes and Hilton, when we were trying to resign them but I haven't heard anything from any source about trying to resign Houston. 

Unless I have missed something which is completely possible

Archived