Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

malcolm jenkins and chris long on Wentz

CurBeatElite

About 1 hour 21 min into this 2 former teammates of Carson talk about him (FYI, there are a few curse words throughout the podcast):  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/malcolm-jenkins-on-activism-saints-eagles-trash-talking/id1485277290?i=1000510312176

They say he's not a locker room cancer.  He's a nice guy.  He didn't have to be a leader early in Philly - Jenkins says "his rookie year, we just asked him to be a rookie QB rather than be a leader..." essentially they had enough vet leaders.  Chris Long says he never  thought of Wentz as a jerk, but his rookie year and his MVP level year, he never thought about Carson being a leader, just thought "this QB is very good" and essentially that the team of veteran guys and looking back the only thing he could think is Wentz could reach out to guys across the whole team, rather than just producing well on field... says Nick Foles not a great QB, but Foles had a magnetism about him that made him appear like the leader of that SB team when Carson went down.  

I keep going back to the question asked of Ballard; “can this locker room deal with a player that may have issues”? Although they might have been thinking about a guy like Antonio Brown, Carson may fit that description, in terms of a QB that isn’t the conventional “leader” type, but a guy that keeps to himself. 

31 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

If Wentz play's well no one will care about all this nonsense

If he plays bad and we start something like 1-4, this forum will implode. Rivers was good this past season for a 38 yr old, Luck was very good when he played, Peyton was a top 3 QB of all-time, who knows what we have here in reality? Can Wentz play at least as good as Rivers did or will he be like JB = a .500 QB?? 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he plays bad and we start something like 1-4, this forum will implode. Rivers was good this past season for a 38 yr old, Luck was very good when he played, Peyton was a top 3 QB of all-time, who knows what we have here in reality? Can Wentz play at least as good as Rivers did or will he be like JB = a .500 QB?? 

We shall see. But that's better than saying with JB we shall see. The front office has given us hope and that's all we can ask for

Nonsense it is.

Not sure that every player or pundit is on board about what a QB should be.  But they seem quick to discard the QB or take his side. 

Seems like they want some god like creature, or a nanny to guide them, or maybe the opposite; just someone to point fingers at for locker room issues caused by players more like themselves.

He could get criticized for changing the HCs play.  Could get criticized for not changing the play in the face of a stacked defense.

Whatever the reasoning, criticizing or approving seems highly subjective and probably based upon things other than truly the QB.  Could be based upon the personality of the player(s) or pundits and not really the QB.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nonsense it is.

Not sure that every player or pundit is on board about what a QB should be.  But they seem quick to discard the QB or take his side. 

Seems like they want some god like creature, or a nanny to guide them, or maybe the opposite; just someone to point fingers at for locker room issues caused by players more like themselves.

He could get criticized for changing the HCs play.  Could get criticized for not changing the play in the face of a stacked defense.

Whatever the reasoning, criticizing or approving seems highly subjective and probably based upon things other than truly the QB.  Could be based upon the personality of the player(s) or pundits and not really the QB.

wth are you even talking about... Go away

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh, let's be honest, this forum is going to implode as it always does, because football is a stressful thing to be a fan of for whatever reason. If we win wrong, people will complain, ya know?

11 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

wth are you even talking about... Go away

I'm talking about the OP, how Wentz has gotten tagged as being a locker room problem, or doesn't fit someone's definition of a leader.  Long and Jenkins' comments are the opposite of that, and defended him.

So whatever Wentz is, it appears to be in the eye of the beholder, based upon the personalities of the ones doing the tagging, and the ones doing the defending.  Maybe the rumors of Wentz being a bad leader was because of some players in Philly requiring certain things from their leader.  Wentz may not have much to do with it at all.  Foles may have fit what they needed better, doesn't make him a great leader either.

Open mind.

Just now, shakedownstreet said:

Again you are just talking % that doesn't matter

Two guys discounting a notion that has been floated by other guys.  Like that even matters to begin with.

Wentz got tagged for whatever reason, by whomever, and somehow that gets elevated into a critical mass that now has to be discounted by others.

IMO, the whole notion of Wentz being some sort of issue doesn't matter, if you look at the genesis of it.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not so sure about Wentz but I am trying to be positive If Reich doe's not fix him then where in trouble, right now he is our best alterative 

7 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

I am not so sure about Wentz but I am trying to be positive If Reich doe's not fix him then where in trouble, right now he is our best alterative 

The thread is about Wentz' leadership, not his mechanics and on-field decision making.

How is that Wentz' leadership needs to be fixed?

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nonsense it is.

When you finish #30 (PFF), #36 (DVOA), #34 in passer rating, #28 in QBR, #34 INT%, #34 in completion %, #36 in N/YA and ANY/A and sack %...I think you should absolutely get criticized for changing plays at the LOS or resisting coaching. Doesn't mean you are an *about it...but if you are stubborn and then fail...it's fair game. That's not just a personality issue at that point...it's a team issue.

But we will never the full depth of the disconnect in PHI (it's never as bad as some say and never as good as others say)...and I don't really care at this point...but it is a risk factor for this change of scenery not working. Mostly, I am more concerned about fixing the mechanical issues from last season. He could be the greatest teammate ever...but if he's doing a lot of same the stuff as last season...that won't matter.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm not gonna make excuses for Wentz, but everyone leads in different ways. Peyton was demanding, while Andrew was more nonchalant and dad like. 

You just did lol.Hes a Colt now. Its okay if he is not a good leader. If he is a great qb that is all I care bout.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm not gonna make excuses for Wentz, but everyone leads in different ways. Peyton was demanding, while Andrew was more nonchalant and dad like. 

Oh and JB is a phenomenal  leader but a very very average qb and we wont go any where woth him. Wentz can go in a tent between possessions, I dont care. If he throws for 35 touchdowns or more I could care a less if he is not Patton.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:57 AM, DougDew said:

I'm talking about the OP, how Wentz has gotten tagged as being a locker room problem, or doesn't fit someone's definition of a leader.  Long and Jenkins' comments are the opposite of that, and defended him.

So whatever Wentz is, it appears to be in the eye of the beholder, based upon the personalities of the ones doing the tagging, and the ones doing the defending.  Maybe the rumors of Wentz being a bad leader was because of some players in Philly requiring certain things from their leader.  Wentz may not have much to do with it at all.  Foles may have fit what they needed better, doesn't make him a great leader either.

Open mind.

Do you realize the OP was defending Wentz by posting the video?    He was trying to show that there are former Wentz teammates that support him and say he’s not a bad guy.   Isn’t that good?

So what did the OP do wrong? 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:16 AM, DougDew said:

The thread is about Wentz' leadership, not his mechanics and on-field decision making.

How is that Wentz' leadership needs to be fixed?

He went roughly 4-6 weeks without speaking with his head coach.   Wentz doesn’t appear to connect all that well with fellow teammates.  He’s a little shy, quiet and maybe reserved.   Yes, if he plays great, the rest will matter less, but it will still matter. 

Because QB is the most important position on any team,  leadership is a natural part of the job description.  It comes with the job.  Hopefully the exceptional culture on the team will help bring out the best in Wentz in and off the field.... 

The thing most people don’t understand is that I doubt Chris Ballard would’ve gone after wentz if frank Reich wasn’t in his ear about it. I think Frank is gambling on his future with the colts when it comes to Carson wentz and he knows that. I doubt he would’ve pushed hard to go after him if he wasn’t very very sure he could fix his issues and turn him back into 2019 form with this football team. If wentz turns out to be a total let down I’m very sure Frank is fully aware he just put his job on the line and he bet it all on wentz. My thing is, Wentz is mobile. He’s got a ridiculously accurate arm and he has arm strength. Behind this O line I really don’t see how he won’t flourish. The first thing this coaching staff is going to get on him about is holding the ball to long, taking unnecessary hits, and not protecting the ball. You work out those kinks and everything else will fall right in line. 

Hmmm I watched the show on  prime (all episodes) And Although I haven't seen many of the games from last year I found him to be pretty damn good and a very nice guy. I mean I wasn't a huge fan before but I think we got a winner at Qb and im looking forward to watching all year. Watch the show on prime  its worth the watch

On 3/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, colts8718 said:

Idk about that. I was looking forward  to seeing  what Eason could do.He may be an unknown,  but so was Tom Brady and Kurt Warner 

The ball is in Carson's court right now. I think he likes and respects Reich to listen. Listening is a skill trait that all leaders must possess to be successful, take the criticism, evaluate, and improve. 

When I think about QBs, I want ones who are leaders on the field. I want them to become teachers in their own respect as they grow and get older. I want them to impart knowledge to the rest of the team when they see things during games. I think Wentz has the capability to do these things, he needs the guidance and a willingness to do so. 

On 3/1/2021 at 6:30 AM, coltsfeva said:

I keep going back to the question asked of Ballard; “can this locker room deal with a player that may have issues”? Although they might have been thinking about a guy like Antonio Brown, Carson may fit that description, in terms of a QB that isn’t the conventional “leader” type, but a guy that keeps to himself. 

nothing his offensive line can't fix. He needs to be very careful what he say's , said, and does.  Best attitude adjustment ever. 

Do you guys remember bringing in Jim Harbaugh?  The man was ridiculed by Mike Ditka. He took a beating in Chicago. According to his coaches he was washed up and uncoachable. Along comes Ted Marchibroda. He did for harbaugh what he did for Jones.

I believe the Colts are due for some great karma. Frank Reich will get under Wentz's helmet, get his confidents back and be better than ever. How many Qb's have you seen come down the pike that should have done better?  There is a lot of talent coming out of college every year. Not so many great coaches to help them. I have a feeling Frank will work magic with Wentz. R.I.P Mr. Marchibroda. My favorite Colts Coach.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

I know, but I wonder what they would do if Eason looked like the better qb at practice 

That would be interesting, but would indicate a failure by the FO... Hardly something to look forward to, yikes expensive and embarrassing.

I am looking forward to Wentz being "The Man" going forward in Indy.

Not that I dislike Eason, just doesn't seem ready yet... time will tell. I always ♥ an underdog story!

On 3/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't act like .500 is the worst case scenario.  Wentz was beyond bad last year.  He's got a ton of talent and played very well for several years but so did Jay Cutler. 

There's a certain arc that quarterbacks who are not natural leaders go through, where they either learn to fake it or the lack of that ability eventually holds them back..  Whether it's Carson Wentz, Drew Bledsoe or Jay Cutler, sooner or later these guys do have to adapt to what the position of QB requires in the NFL, and leadership is part of the package.

Archived