Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pushed Rivers out the door?

CR91

• CR91 changed the title to Colts pushed Rivers out the door?
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s not surprising. Under the circumstances...Rivers was a good pickup for last season...and he played very well.

but Ballard is a pragmatic guy and treading water with Rivers for one more season was akin to kicking the can down the road and it didn’t move the need for this upcoming season.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we get Stafford it does, if we roll with Eason or a rookie, this is going to be a long season as in 7-9 IMO if we are lucky.

Ballard has already pretty much ruled Eason out by saying they need to see if he can be a back up.  IF this is true, and I am not saying it’s not, no way Ballard does this without a plan.  Now the hard part for us.  Wait and see what that plan is.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we get Stafford it does, if we roll with Eason or a rookie, this is going to be a long season as in 7-9 IMO if we are lucky.

Yeah same here, I think it’s a terrible decision we did that if we have to roll with a rookie or Eason. But like you said if we get stafford then I can see why

IF those infamous "sources" are right, Ballard must have a pretty good idea that he can bring in Stafford or someome of that caliber. No way they would "force Rivers out" without a bird in hand somewhere and I doubt that would be Eason, a rookie or Brissett. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm over 20 minutes in and barely a word about Rivers.

Not even a tease that Bowen has inside info about how and why Rivers resigned so soon.     Nothing.

36-minute mark.

His sources are solid.  I know that for a fact. :)

OK.....

Found it.   There's a section, roughly 11:30 minutes long.

It runs from approx 35:00 to approx 46:30.

Kevin almost downplays that he he has sources,  says he's heard talk,  but he makes a very strong and compelling case where he connects the dots.     And the dots seem to connect.

Dodds interviews for the Detroit job.   Somewhere in that talk,  the Lions likely share that Stafford wants to move on.  And the Lions will look to trade him.    That there's no way that Rivers would retire after talking up wanting to come back,  after recently moving his family to Indy, and his kids have been enrolled in exclusive schools in the area,  and then turn around and suddenly hang 'em up.    That Indy wanted to treat Rivers with respect and likely said to him that he can handle his retirement any way he wants,  and the colts will support that.    Kevin says Indy fans should feel good if this is true,  because to him it signals that Indy and Ballard have a plan.   He also turns around and says if the trade for Stafford doesn't work out,  then he hopes they can trade up and draft their QB of the future.   That things will get difficult for the Colts if the Stafford deal doesn't happen,  the Colts situation suddenly looks much more difficult.

Kevin clearly says this is his interpretation of the events.   I think he makes a strong argument.   But he does not cite sources.  He didn't get an inside tip.   But this is how he thinks the scenario played out.

Go listen to the passage.   See what you think.

15 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

36-minute mark.

His sources are solid.  I know that for a fact. :)

Zib?    Bowen doesn't have "sources".    He says this is mostly his interpretation of the events.  He says he's connecting the dots.   What makes the most sense to him.    He never once said someone told me.    The closest things he said to sources is that he's heard "chatter".   I wouldn't call that sources.     I'm not knocking Bowen.    I think he makes a very strong case for connecting the dots based on the timing of events, plus what went down in the last few weeks and what we all thought might happen.   

But if he had this as a "scoop" and had "sources,  there's no way he buries this in the middle of an hour long podcast and never teased that he had the inside scoop on what went down with Phillip Rivers and the Colts.   That would be journalistic malpractice.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

7-9 if we’re lucky?

Geesh....       :facepalm:

Lets say we play Eason and we don't know much about him so I am not bashing the guy. What do you think our record would be? I said 7-9 which is probably pretty accurate unless he is just stunningly good. At this point Ballard isn't even sure if he would be a great backup.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say we play Eason and we don't know much about him so I am not bashing the guy. What do you think our record would be? I said 7-9 which is probably pretty accurate unless he is just stunningly good. At this point Ballard isn't even sure if he would be a great backup.

Fair enough.

Incredibly tired.   Horrible night's sleep last night. 

Dragging around some baggage.    Sorry I took it out on you.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Zib?    Bowen doesn't have "sources".    He says this is mostly his interpretation of the events.  He says he's connecting the dots.   What makes the most sense to him.    He never once said someone told me.    The closest things he said to sources is that he's heard "chatter".   I wouldn't call that sources.     I'm not knocking Bowen.    I think he makes a very strong case for connecting the dots based on the timing of events, plus what went down in the last few weeks and what we all thought might happen.   

But if he had this as a "scoop" and had "sources,  there's no way he buries this in the middle of an hour long podcast and never teased that he had the inside scoop on what went down with Phillip Rivers and the Colts.   That would be journalistic malpractice.   

Tried to send you a PM that would better explain, but you can't receive PMs.

In the meantime, Kevin is someone that values journalist integrity over just being the first to report a scoop.  Like any good journalist, he also likes to corroborate information from multiple sources, including sources from within the Colts, who I'm sure aren't keen to confirm/deny on matters like this, because it would completely fly in the face of how things played out (i.e., the appearance that Rivers chose to retire).

I'll also say, sometimes we think there are only fans here (which is true, there are plenty of fans here), but I also know that there are also people on this message board that have relationships with the players, the players' families, etc. 

Regardless, have a good evening and hope you get some better sleep. 

37 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Tried to send you a PM that would better explain, but you can't receive PMs.

In the meantime, Kevin is someone that values journalist integrity over just being the first to report a scoop.  Like any good journalist, he also likes to corroborate information from multiple sources, including sources from within the Colts, who I'm sure aren't keen to confirm/deny on matters like this, because it would completely fly in the face of how things played out (i.e., the appearance that Rivers chose to retire).

I'll also say, sometimes we think there are only fans here (which is true, there are plenty of fans here), but I also know that there are also people on this message board that have relationships with the players, the players' families, etc. 

Regardless, have a good evening and hope you get some better sleep. 

I appreciate the info.    And I'll go clean out my inbox.    I thought I had cleaned out enough to receive e-mails.

Apparently not.     Thanks again!

I didn't listen to the link, but I don't believe Indy pushed him out. I just think Rivers was done and was kind enough to tell the Colts as early as he did (and not pull a Luck) 

1) He's already been talking about wanting to coach his kid in high school football, (high school only last 4 years)

2) Franchise LT just quit 

3) Your arm is nowhere near what it used to be 

Plus, I've been to San Diego a few times, and boy is it beautiful. Indigrayapolis pales in comparison.  

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I didn't listen to the link, but I don't believe Indy pushed him out. I just think Rivers was done and was kind enough to tell the Colts as early as he did (and not pull a Luck) 

1) He's already been talking about wanting to coach his kid in high school football, (high school only last 4 years)

Plus, I've been to San Diego a few times, and boy is it beautiful. Indigrayapolis pales in comparison.  

Listen to the link..

I figured this might have been the case- the brass noticing Rivers is good, but not going to get the team in this iteration to a Super Bowl and was kind of lucky to be a postseason participant this year.

I agree with you. Or maybe they had both mutually agreed that he would be one and done...I mean he had already pretty much lined up his coaching job before ever even setting foot in Indy......

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29150960/philip-rivers-coach-alabama-high-school-nfl-days-end%3fplatform=amp

I agree, right after the Wild Card loss, Ballard stated that both sides would take about a month and address the situation then - it would be pretty lousy to give Philip the impression that he was being given space to clear his head and make this important decision, only to kick him to the curb about a week later.

Philip has long stated that he wanted to coach his sons in high school football, just as his father had coached him & his brother Stephen. He had the job lined up before signing with the Colts, and when he did it was likely only for a season, or 2 at the most.

I think he made the decision to go out on his own terms, a liberty the Chargers never afforded him and once he decided to walk, he let the team know so they would have ample opportunity to effectively replace him.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard has already pretty much ruled Eason out by saying they need to see if he can be a back up.  IF this is true, and I am not saying it’s not, no way Ballard does this without a plan.  Now the hard part for us.  Wait and see what that plan is.

HMM If that is true what a huge miss on a QB he drafted

31 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I agree, right after the Wild Card loss, Ballard stated that both sides would take about a month and address the situation then - it would be pretty lousy to give Philip the impression that he was being given space to clear his head and make this important decision, only to kick him to the curb about a week later.

Philip has long stated that he wanted to coach his sons in high school football, just as his father had coached him & his brother Stephen. He had the job lined up before signing with the Colts, and when he did it was likely only for a season, or 2 at the most.

I think he made the decision to go out on his own terms, a liberty the Chargers never afforded him and once he decided to walk, he let the team know so they would have ample opportunity to effectively replace him.

Colts are good about those things, preserving the dignity of players before they are let go.

Irsay paying Peyton, something like $23 mil. to sit out in 2011, paying Freeney something close to $13-14 mil even though he did not fit Pagano's D in 2012 etc., they afford the marquee players the dignity to go out on their own terms without unceremoniously cutting them.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It all makes sense. The timing is weird. Rivers might of just hell with this I am not waiting a month for them to look around and decided but it all makes perfect sense. Saw this on twitter. Just a random tweet. Someone could just be blowing smoke but if it’s true Ballard has been working on Stafford awhile. 

Good find!!!

Like with Buckner, assuming it is a revamped 4 yr. extension (including the 2 years with Lions) with possibly the big hits mainly in years 3 and 4, something like 4 years $120 mil. (with $80 mil. guaranteed), which would still be a fair contract for both parties.

@Superman @w87r - do you guys think that would be a fair contract considering how QBs are paid now?

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

According to Kevin Bowen on his podcast, he suggests based on his sources that the colts told Rivers they were moving on. It's long, but a good listen.

I said that from the beginning.  He told someone from CBS who was there doing the game very late in season he would retire if the colts didn't want him back.

The man has kids, lots of kids, and he wouldn't walk away from around $20-25 million if Ballard wanted him back. 

haha

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good find!!!

Like with Buckner, assuming it is a revamped 4 yr. extension (including the 2 years with Lions) with possibly the big hits mainly in years 3 and 4, something like 4 years $120 mil. (with $80 mil. guaranteed), which would still be a fair contract for both parties.

@Superman @w87r - do you guys think that would be a fair contract considering how QBs are paid now?

I'm assuming that would lower his cap hit for this year Right?

I also heard on a different show that RIver may have been given the option of a "gentleman retirement" as opposed to being let go on the FA market. I think Ballard fully believes he can upgrade, as do I. Phil was alright, it was fun. I dont think anyone realistically thought we had a chance at beating the Bills and Chiefs though. I had hope, but from the start i didnt think Phil was a good enough upgrade to make it to the SB.  Was choked we didnt sign Brady, look wheres he is at.

57 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

HMM If that is true what a huge miss on a QB he drafted

Not really I mean Eason was a fourth round pick.  Most QBs taken there or later don’t become starters overnight or even at all.  I’ve never really understood why so many here think he’s going to be the guy.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not really I mean Eason was a fourth round pick.  Most QBs taken there or later don’t become starters overnight or even at all.  I’ve never really understood why so many here think he’s going to be the guy.  

Right - not sure I agree with the "huge miss" on a forth round QB when he hasn't had a real training camp.  Last year was like a "red shirt" year for him.  

Will he be any good?  We have no idea.  Odds aren't great - look at all the 1st round picks that end up being ineffective.  But I would at least like to give him some time to learn the game at that NFL level.

I don't think it's based on Stafford...as much as Ballard needs a long-term-ish plan for QB. I suppose if Eason was crushing it...that might have changed things. But I always thought that Ballard was going to get aggressive and creative this offseason. Running it back with Rivers wasn't the move.

That said...I want to trade for a QB...but it appears that Stafford is very likely now. I am fine with that...IF Ballard brings in at least one top tier pass catcher. Ideally, the Colts sign ARob and then draft a TE on Day Two.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....

Found it.   There's a section, roughly 11:30 minutes long.

It runs from approx 35:00 to approx 46:30.

Kevin almost downplays that he he has sources,  says he's heard talk,  but he makes a very strong and compelling case where he connects the dots.     And the dots seem to connect.

Dodds interviews for the Detroit job.   Somewhere in that talk,  the Lions likely share that Stafford wants to move on.  And the Lions will look to trade him.    That there's no way that Rivers would retire after talking up wanting to come back,  after recently moving his family to Indy, and his kids have been enrolled in exclusive schools in the area,  and then turn around and suddenly hang 'em up.    That Indy wanted to treat Rivers with respect and likely said to him that he can handle his retirement any way he wants,  and the colts will support that.    Kevin says Indy fans should feel good if this is true,  because to him it signals that Indy and Ballard have a plan.   He also turns around and says if the trade for Stafford doesn't work out,  then he hopes they can trade up and draft their QB of the future.   That things will get difficult for the Colts if the Stafford deal doesn't happen,  the Colts situation suddenly looks much more difficult.

Kevin clearly says this is his interpretation of the events.   I think he makes a strong argument.   But he does not cite sources.  He didn't get an inside tip.   But this is how he thinks the scenario played out.

Go listen to the passage.   See what you think.

Kind of explains why he broke the new of his retirement thru the San Diego press too. 

although I might actually vomit if we go get Stanford or wentz

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Kind of explains why he broke the new of his retirement thru the San Diego press too. 

although I might actually vomit if we go get Stanford or wentz

Well - if you are going to vomit then get it over with and get on the field!

When playing sports I was one of those guys.  Not always, but when I would get too hyped about a game I would puke - before the game started - and then everything would be great!  During one game - the league championship game when I was 12 I think - I puked in the huddle getting ready for the kick off.  We all rubbed it into the dirt with our shoes and then started the game!

puke GIF

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Well - if you are going to vomit then get it over with and get on the field!

When playing sports I was one of those guys.  Not always, but when I would get too hyped about a game I would puke - before the game started - and then everything would be great!  During one game - the league championship game when I was 12 I think - I puked in the huddle getting ready for the kick off.  We all rubbed it into the dirt with our shoes and then started the game!

puke GIF

Believe it or not, yep, I only had the nerves hit me like that one, the morning of my last wrestling match my senior year in highschool. I wrestled pretty darn good that day but there was no way I was beating 6 top 10 ranked and undefeated kids to advance to semi state.

Archived