Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pushed Rivers out the door?

CR91

1 minute ago, w87r said:

IF it did happen, it isn't above critique.

That's a big IF, there is no facts to back it up. Just some online sleuths trying to connect the dots and be the smart guy.(not anyone here, just those on the twitter verse that made this a thing anyway.)

Bottomline is at this point, if someone is trying to bash Ballard for this, they do have an ulterior motive against him and just trying to make hik look bad. The facts are not there to prove it.

Will they surface 1 day? Maybe? I wouldn't be holding my breath counting on it.

Also, if Ballard told Rivers he wanted to evaluate things before coming to a decision and give Rivers time decide what he wants to do, but Rivers didn't want that to be the case. That isn't Ballard forcing him out either.

That is Ballard doing what he should do.

FWIW it's not rando internet hear say that's generating this. It's Bowen saying he kind of connected dots and got radio silence from folks who will usually give him bits of info when he asked about details. You can do with that as you like, it's certainly not confirmation, but it is a little more than a shot in the dark.

If we wanted to bash Ballard we'd just go with HE WANTED TO HIRE JOSH MCDANIELS.. but anyway.. hah

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, w87r said:

And just to touch base on this a little more.

This was connecting dots by the same online expert journalist that said deal is done with Colts, oh wait the deal is done with the 49ers. Nvm, Colts name hasn't surfaced at all, wait, yeah the Colts and 9era are front runners. Niners have deal in place for (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds.

Nope...nope Panthers and Washington are if he stays east.

Just saying, cant believe everything someone post online. 

Deal in place for (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds is far off from Goff, (2) 1st and (1) 3rd.(as you've stated Lions will eventually get something else from Goff if they move on from him)

Cal me when Rivers or Ballard states he was forced out.(not directed toward you NCF, just anyone who wants to push the narrative)

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing?    The person who connected the dots was Colts best writer and former PR guy, Kevin Bowen.   At least, that’s what I recall.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me?  CR91 pitched the story.  It was his thread. 

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing?    The person who connected the dots was Colts best writer and former PR guy, Kevin Bowen.   At least, that’s what I recall.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me?  CR91 pitched the story.  It was his thread. 

I get it, I just don't think it's some big conspiracy theory.

Rivers signed for 1 yr because his future was uncertain. 

What is the first thing everyone says about Ballard? Something similar they say about you. He is a straight shooter.  Even in his press conference he said they would take some times and look at all options. You don't just alienate 1 of your options, your incumbent QB. He said he was going to give Rivers some time to figure out if he was still going to play and let Rivers know he would be looking at all options as well. Rivers ultimately decided to hang it up. If he wasn't truly ready to hang it up, he is not going to let us dictate that, and I know he said he only wanted to play for the Colts, but numerous players have said the same things over the years about numerous teams. Things happen and they have to move on. So, again Rivers retired because he wanted to, that's the only thing that makes sense.

And yes, Bowen is a good Colts writer, that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to connect dots that simply weren't there, or dots that were there, but didn't connect like he thought.

He is just like every other team writer, he speculates and tries to be the first one to break a story. Tries to be right, of course but are wrong often as well.

Teams sports writers get things wrong all the time. So maybe I was wrong to lump him with these other teams writers breaking news, but at the end of the day there isn't much difference. I do realize some of these tweets came from non sports writers as well, but a good fair amount did come from teams writers or people that think they are "in the know"

After all this I could still be wrong, but it will take hearing it from Ballard or Rivers themselves for me to believe it. Anything else just seems like a reason to bash Ballard that might not have any validity at all.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I get it, I just don't think it's some big conspiracy theory.

Rivers signed for 1 yr because his future was uncertain. 

What is the first thing everyone says about Ballard? Something similar they say about you. He is a straight shooter.  Even in his press conference he said they would take some times and look at all options. You don't just alienate 1 of your options, your incumbent QB. He said he was going to give Rivers some time to figure out if he was still going to play and let Rivers know he would be looking at all options as well. Rivers ultimately decided to hang it up. If he wasn't truly ready to hang it up, he is not going to let us dictate that, and I know he said he only wanted to play for the Colts, but numerous players have said the same things over the years about numerous teams. Things happen and they have to move on. So, again Rivers retired because he wanted to, that's the only thing that makes sense.

And yes, Bowen is a good Colts writer, that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to connect dots that simply weren't there, or dots that were there, but didn't connect like he thought.

He is just like every other team writer, he speculates and tries to be the first one to break a story. Tries to be right, of course but are wrong often as well.

Teams sports writers get things wrong all the time. So maybe I was wrong to lump him with these other teams writers breaking news, but at the end of the day there isn't much difference. I do realize some of these tweets came from non sports writers as well, but a good fair amount did come from teams writers or people that think they are "in the know"

After all this I could still be wrong, but it will take hearing it from Ballard or Rivers themselves for me to believe it. Anything else just seems like a reason to bash Ballard that might not have any validity at all.

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

On 1/28/2021 at 8:48 AM, John Waylon said:

Doesn’t that just make it seem more likely that we made the decision though? Is Phil the kind of guy that would walk away from a team that could conceivably go on a deep playoff run to coach a high school team? I have a hard time believing he’d make this decision with that specifically in mind. That job is going to be there for him in 2022. Or whenever he wants to take it full time. It’s not Saban ready to hand over the reigns at Alabama to him. 

I just find it strange that Phil made the choice to walk away still having a legitimate chance to make one last postseason run. 

I believe Phil wants to coach his son while he is still in high school.

So putting it off for a few years kinda defeats the purpose.

Phil was probably gonna retire after this year win, lose, or draw, regardless of what the Colts want. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Phil was probably gonna retire after this year win, lose, or draw, regardless of what the Colts want. :dunno:

My Dad it twice 

Got back into coaching Football when I was in HS and retired from coaching when my Sister was a senior so he would not miss her last year of HS Golf

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think Philip Rivers originally intended to play at least 2 seasons here, and he had plenty of time to do that (and possibly even a 3rd one) and still coach his sons in high school - his oldest son is 12 and the other one is 8. I still think that Philip made the decision to retire on his own, perhaps he wants to be an experienced coach by the time he's leading his boys' teams.

6 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I think Philip Rivers originally intended to play at least 2 seasons here, and he had plenty of time to do that (and possibly even a 3rd one) and still coach his sons in high school - his oldest son is 12 and the other one is 8. I still think that Philip made the decision to retire on his own, perhaps he wants to be an experienced coach by the time he's leading his boys' teams.

Living in San Diego we had a chance to play Phil’s son over a year ago when he coached his sons basketball team in the Catholic school league.  I can say he really enjoys it and is obviously very competitive.  It’s tough because I really wish he didn’t hang it up but I feel confident he wasn’t shown the door.  He made a pretty quick decision and IMO being such a competitor he really felt compelled to get the team beyond the divisional round.  He’d likely have retired if anything less than AFC championship after having been in the playoffs so many times previously.  His dad being a coach I’m sure he’s able to objectively determine if he can help a team get to the Super Bowl.  Realistically the road is in the AFC and I don’t think he’s convinced he can beat Mahomes.

45 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Living in San Diego we had a chance to play Phil’s son over a year ago when he coached his sons basketball team in the Catholic school league.  I can say he really enjoys it and is obviously very competitive.  It’s tough because I really wish he didn’t hang it up but I feel confident he wasn’t shown the door.  He made a pretty quick decision and IMO being such a competitor he really felt compelled to get the team beyond the divisional round.  He’d likely have retired if anything less than AFC championship after having been in the playoffs so many times previously.  His dad being a coach I’m sure he’s able to objectively determine if he can help a team get to the Super Bowl.  Realistically the road is in the AFC and I don’t think he’s convinced he can beat Mahomes.

To beat Mahomes  we need a hill and kelce 

Ballard publicly disclosed that he needed to explore other options before making a decision on Rivers. I wonder if Rivers was surprised by that, since Ballard and his staff would have had all season to do due diligence on the other options. Teams make calls to other teams about players all the time. 

I wonder if Stafford’s sudden availability (he asked for a trade in January) forced Ballard to hit the pause button and made him lukewarm on Rivers.  Maybe Ballard was honest that they were pursuing Stafford so Rivers wouldn’t find out about it on Twitter.  Can you imagine if Rivers was still with the team and the world knew that Indy was pursuing Stafford? It would be kind of humiliating. 

Ballard absolutely had to throw his hat in the ring for Stafford. I don’t think Rivers was pushed out, he just wasn’t their first choice this year and perhaps he didn’t want to be the fallback option. 

11 hours ago, Beardog said:

I don’t think he’s convinced he can beat Mahomes.

I doubt that's the case, especially since he did beat Mahomes & the Chiefs in 2018 with 15 unanswered 4th Quarter points, the final of which was a 2 point conversion to secure the 1 point victory.

If a local journalist, or any journalist, wanted to find out what is truly going on with Luck, they would contact and interview Rivers on why he retired.  For the final month or so of the season, he spoke positively of the team and wanting to return.  During the season, Frank spoke of wanting and expecting Rivers to return.  You get past the Buffalo game and suddenly everyone's tone changed.  Very strange.

On JMV, Kevin Bowen admitted he's been hearing things about Luck, which is why he asked Irsay the question, so there apparently has been some recent chatter out there that predates these questionable tweets.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

If a local journalist, or any journalist, wanted to find out what is truly going on with Luck, they would contact and interview Rivers on why he retired.  For the final month or so of the season, he spoke positively of the team and wanting to return.  During the season, Frank spoke of wanting and expecting Rivers to return.  You get past the Buffalo game and suddenly everyone's tone changed.  Very strange.

On JMV, Kevin Bowen admitted he's been hearing things about Luck, which is why he asked Irsay the question, so there apparently has been some recent chatter out there that predates these questionable tweets.

I doubt Philip would be more forthcoming with some local journalist who he doesn't know, than he was with his good friend & former center Nick Hardwick. I  listened to the whole podcast, it was about an hour & ½ long and Luck's name or decision never came up once, only the journey these men had taken, and very memorable events they shared, both good and bad.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:36 PM, Lancer1 said:

To quote the late Harold Ramis in Stripes, “Great! Custer had a plan.”

If Ballard’s plan is to go from Philip to any rookie quarterback from this year’s draft, then as previously mentioned it would be the height of stupidity – I seriously doubt if that was the case.

If the plan was to acquire another veteran QB, I maintain that unless he already had a concrete agreement in place with that person's organization, then pushing a Canton-bound quarterback who still has gas in his tank out the door on the hopes that you could “get your guy” would be foolish at best. In reality, doing it before actually acquiring said veteran QB would still not be very wise, because as also previously mentioned, Indianapolis already had an agreement in place on contract terms with Josh McDaniels to be their Head Coach, but it never came to pass.

That's what i would do.
 Get Phils replacement when i can get it done then tell him sorry you are not wanted here anymore. chuckle!
We will have a QB that can MOVE, just wait and see.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

That isn’t what Bowen said. He said Luck has such a tight circle that he doesn’t automatically discount things that come from random people.

Archived