Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thank you, Philip

tvturner

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

I predicted 10-6. Interestingly if they didnt add that extra playoff spot we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Funny I haven't seen that mentioned much. 

I actually didn’t even think of that until today. but still, even if we HAD finished 11-6 and missed I’d still say the same thing. 

All roads lead here haha

Just now, John Waylon said:

I actually didn’t even think of that until today. but still, even if we HAD finished 11-6 and missed I’d still say the same thing. 

All roads lead here haha

Yeah it's just interesting to think about if you look at the teams we beat, and the teams we lost to. HIs "success" has a big BUT next to it imo. 11-5 and 7th seed due to him losing to every other playoff team in the AFC. Couple that with the fact we weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs with the convention 6 team rules et, and it just kinda makes it all look like a waste of 25M. 

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Hope he comes back. Was great this year for us!! Sorry frank ruined for you ! Please come back 

Did Frank make him miss Pittman on the 4th down throw when we went for it?  Did Frank make him miss Pittman on the 3rd down throw that would have put us in the redzone?  Instead we had to settle for the HotRod miss instead of extending that drive. The future hall of famer needs to retire. He had a good year and a good game today.  Just not good enough (as usual). We’re definitely not winning it all next year with him.  His age and limitations forces any offense play caller to be perfect to win. Or you better have the receivers Brady has Tampa. But let’s see how far he goes with similar limitations. I tell you what though. I don’t think Brady wouldn’t have missed those 2 throws to Pittman. 

27 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Did Frank make him miss Pittman on the 4th down throw when we went for it?  Did Frank make him miss Pittman on the 3rd down throw that would have put us in the redzone?  Instead we had to settle for the HotRod miss instead of extending that drive. The future hall of famer needs to retire. He had a good year and a good game today.  Just not good enough (as usual). We’re definitely not winning it all next year with him.  His age and limitations forces any offense play caller to be perfect to win. Or you better have the receivers Brady has Tampa. But let’s see how far he goes with similar limitations. I tell you what though. I don’t think Brady wouldn’t have missed those 2 throws to Pittman. 

Did rivers make frank go for it on 4th and 4 on the goal line? Did rivers make frank use a challenge on fumble play that wasn’t even close to be a fumble? No. 4th and 4 miss throw shouldn’t have even happened if frank would have just went for the 3 points. I tell you what though, every qb  misses a couple throws. We can’t get better then rivers so why get rid of him? You don’t that’s the answer.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Did rivers make frank go for it on 4th and 4 on the goal line? Did rivers make frank use a challenge on fumble play that wasn’t even close to be a fumble? No. 4th and 4 miss throw shouldn’t have even happened if frank would have just went for the 3 points. I tell you what though, every qb  misses a couple throws. We can’t get better then rivers so why get rid of him? You don’t that’s the answer.

No argument from me on the challenge. But Phillip has to make those throws. He’ll tell you the same. Frank trusted him to execute. 

Thank you Philip Rivers from a life long Chargers Fan. I saw every snap of your professional career.

You are an ambassador to San Diego.

You always carried yourself as a respectful and honorable man.

May god bless you and your family

Trumpet_Man

PS .... Sign a deal for one more year and get the Colts to the promised land !!

1 minute ago, Trumpet_Man said:

Thank you Philip Rivers from a life long Chargers Fan. I saw every snap of your professional career.

You are an ambassador to San Diego.

You always carried yourself as a respectful and honorable man.

May god bless you and your family

Trumpet_Man

PS .... Sign a deal for one more year and get the Colts to the promised land !!

As a Colts fan I love him, he played well today and helped us to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. It was a fun entertaining season, great game today but the outcome was deflating. I don't understand why TY Hilton wasn't involved more?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As a Colts fan I love him, he played well today and helped us to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. It was a fun entertaining season, great game today but the outcome was deflating. I don't understand why TY Hilton wasn't involved more?

You take what the defense gives and TY had his moments today. The Colts ran up against a real good Bills team. Real good.

Next year I want to see the Colts and the Chargers playing in the AFC Championship. Our new quarterback Justin Herbert is throwing passes I never saw Rivers throw which is encouraging.

If Rivers is not signed, I wish him well.

I hope Colts fans understand this guy is not a brat or mouth and just enjoys jawing his clean smack talk. Rivers once told a cornerback "how to you like them corn flakes" as he was simulating dumping a box of Wheaties on an opponent. You have to wonder wth ? Cornflakes ? And just laugh .....

7 hours ago, tvturner said:

Rivers appreciation post

An incredibly entertaining year

A phenomenal playoff performance

Stabilizing the QB spot

Proving just about everyone wrong

3rd highest scoring offense in Colts history

Holding our breath on every deep ball

I quite enjoyed the year of Rivers, and if it is to be his last, thank you, Philip!

Couldn't agree with you more. Because of 17 we had a good run and shot in the postseason. I wish him nothing but the best with whatever he decides to do moving forward.

7 hours ago, tvturner said:

Rivers appreciation post

Stabilizing the QB spot

I quite enjoyed the year of Rivers, and if it is to be his last, thank you, Philip!

Definitely not everyone...I was hoping for Rivers since before he parted ways with LAC. It was a great fit...and a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buffalo had two very good corners.   If we didn’t throw to him as much as you’d like,  there’s a good reason.   Sounds like they focused on taking him away as much as possible. 

I think when Rivers has some time to reflect on this season and looks at how well he played this year in this offense and how close they were to getting what he’s never had it’s going to be very hard for him to walk away.  So I think he’s going to decide he wants to come back.  When the Colts look at how much better he made them and that Eason probably could use another year of seasoning if he is even at all in their minds the guy another one year deal with Rivers will make sense.  So I expect him to be back.

However, clearly I don’t run the team and I am clearly not in Rivers inner circle to know what he’s thinking so if it is one and done with him thank you Rivers for helping to give me something to look forward too each week for 17 weeks during such a crummy year across the board.  

I hope he decides to play another year somewhere, because he seems OK physically. At least 1 Bears fan minutes ago suggested bringing him to Chicago! And he doesn't make me cringe, like watching some other older QBs, Two years ago in Foxborough, he took a real beating, in a hopeless situation with a Charger team that was totally controlled by NE.

That was must-not-see TV.

Stafford season opener vs the Jets couple of years ago also should have been pulled from the game...and Cam Newton, several times I can remember.

Alex Smith is the one who needs most to be off the field(so does non-qb Buster Skrine)

When Rivers does retire, I hope he takes a TV job instead of coaching high school football,

8 hours ago, Trumpet_Man said:

You take what the defense gives and TY had his moments today. The Colts ran up against a real good Bills team. Real good.

Next year I want to see the Colts and the Chargers playing in the AFC Championship. Our new quarterback Justin Herbert is throwing passes I never saw Rivers throw which is encouraging.

If Rivers is not signed, I wish him well.

I hope Colts fans understand this guy is not a brat or mouth and just enjoys jawing his clean smack talk. Rivers once told a cornerback "how to you like them corn flakes" as he was simulating dumping a box of Wheaties on an opponent. You have to wonder wth ? Cornflakes ? And just laugh .....

I want him back here for 1 more year because I think with another draft we will even be better next season and Taylor will be a beast. We barely lost to a team yesterday that many thought would blow us out. We actually beat ourselves in a lot of ways IMO and it wasn't Rivers fault. He had no turnovers and over 300 Yards with 2 TD's, not sure what else more he could do? He was against the clock on that last drive with no timeouts so that was tough, Peyton or Brady may make that comeback but that is about it.

Loved what he was able to bring.  Never missed a game even with the injuries.  Played better than I thought he would, although not a lot because I thought he still had something left.  I knew his arm wasn't there but I thought he could be a little bit Peyton-like in that he could use his smarts and knowledge to will some completions.  He did that.  He was a leader.  He seemed to be liked by his teammates.  He won over a lot of people and was a CLEAR upgrade over Brissett last year.  

With that said, I think it's time for him to move on.  The biggest reason?  He's considering it.  And I believe when you start to do that you're already less than 100% committed.  I think the other reason, obviously, is the arm strength.  Some of those completions looked labored.  Very labored at times.  I think it's time to go with a QB with a bigger canon.  I would really like to see us get one of the vets who still has something left like Stafford or Dak but I would be somewhat surprised if they do.  I do not want Wentz but all the NFL world seems to think it's going to happen.  And if it does, then it does, and I'll just have to trust Ballard in making that decision.  But it will SURELY be tied to him and his legacy here if it does.  As will any move he makes.    Honestly I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz, but it isn't my decision.  Hell I'd probably even go Eason over Wentz.  At any rate, I still would like to see them grab another arm in the draft somewhere.

I would not be at all surprised if Rivers is back next year.  He may want it.  Reich seems to want it.  The question is does Ballard want it?  He will have the final say, unless Irsay gets involved but I think he's been pretty good at letting his GM's handle things.  But I HOPE Uncle Phil rides off into the sunset and is satisfied with his HOF credentials and has a happy retirement.  I just don't see how another year with Rivers is going to make the team any better.  HE is not going to get any better at this stage of his career.  Upgrade the position, and you will improve.  Period.

I hated the signing from the beginning, was very critical of him at first but came around as the season progressed. It was a fun year, thanks Phil for bringing us to the playoffs.  

That being said this team will not compete with likes of the Bills and Chiefs for the next 5 years unless we find our young franchise qb soon

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thanks.

Chicken or the Pig.

I like that.

I like the picture in the article of Philip yelling at former teammate Igor Olshansky after the latter had gone to Dallas. They both had entered the league with the Chargers in 2004 but Olshansky signed with the Cowboys in 2009.  

Rivers is a fierce competitor and is truly fearless, and he wouldn't back down against anyone. Another old picture I like is of him in his college days, squaring off against future teammate Shawne Merriman.

Bring it 2.jpg

I’m torn.  Really liked the guy.

He had his weaknesses, but i think he played really well for us.   Kept the interceptions low.  
  He was great for the locker room i’m sure.

Not really sure what Ballard has in mind, i’m kinda excited about it tho.

But i did enjoy watching Rivers play, and in some ways hoped he’d be back.

21 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I like the picture in the article of Philip yelling at former teammate Igor Olshansky after the latter had gone to Dallas. They both had entered the league with the Chargers in 2004 but Olshansky signed with the Cowboys in 2009.  

Rivers is a fierce competitor and is truly fearless, and he wouldn't back down against anyone. Another old picture I like is of him in his college days, squaring off against future teammate Shawne Merriman.

Bring it 2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. 

I remember that picture. 

I'm going to miss that guy !

On 1/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, tvturner said:

Rivers appreciation post

Stabilizing the QB spot

I think 25 million is thank you enough

Archived