Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Power Ranking (merge)

NewColtsFan

For what it’s worth....

This week, after we got spanked good, the Colts are now ranked.....   9th.   Last week we were ranked ....   8th.   Yes, we lost bad and yet we only fell one spot. 

Just posted this to show you what the outside world thinks of the Colts.   They still like us.

Ranked behind us are the Rams, who are 10th, the Ravens, who beat us, are 11th, and the Browns, who also beat us, are 12th.  

It would appear the people who cover the NFL for a living like the Colts more than many in this fan base. 

Just saying. 

Not directed at either above comment just a general thought about this...

Do you think Chris Berman, Tony Gonzalez, Jim Nanz, etc watch all 16 NFL games each week or do you think they watch 2 or 3 and someone (an intern) watches the games and provides them summary notes? I wonder if a personality, like Phil Simms, actually does know more about the Colts than a regular fan. Guys like Nate Burelson make me think they watch all or at least most of the games but others I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

I don't think its any secret that the reason we looked bad is because of a relative anomaly, we were without two of our best players.  But one will contribute this week and hopefully AC will be back soon.

(And those two great players are probably at the 2nd and 3rd most important positions on the team, LT and 3T (for a 43 zone)...for those who don't appreciate the concept of positional value)

Its what happens when you lose your talented players and have to play with backups at important positions, you look bad but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll stink every week.

You know, when our best player at the most important position,  Luck, wasn't 100% we'd go 8-8, and when he, our best player at our most important position played, we made the playoffs.  Then when he was out for the year, you know like last year when we had JB at our most important position, we stunk again.

I assume when a team's best players are expected to be gone for a short time, it doesn't impact their power rankings that much. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its what happens when you lose your talented players and have to play with backups, you look bad but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll stink every week.

Specifically, in a year when your best players can be out due to positive testing results and not injury. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

This week, after we got spanked good, the Colts are now ranked.....   9th.   Last week we were ranked ....   8th.   Yes, we lost bad and yet we only fell one spot. 

Just posted this to show you what the outside world thinks of the Colts.   They still like us.

Ranked behind us are the Rams, who are 10th, the Ravens, who beat us, are 11th, and the Browns, who also beat us, are 12th.  

It would appear the people who cover the NFL for a living like the Colts more than many in this fan base. 

Just saying. 

That’s quite a change for ESPN.

The lesser known “Jawbone of an A**” poll dropped us to 31st. :funny:

Random thought, but just a couple weeks ago we were talked about as one of those “getting hot at just the right time” teams.

Then, at least last week, we became that “hurt at the wrong time” team key with guys like AC, Kelly, and Buck out.

With Buck coming back for sure, hopefully our D can step back up. As for our offense? I think we lose until AC comes back. When he does, I’ll have much more confidence in W’s.

If you take into account we were missing Buckner, Autry, Okereke, JT, Kelly, and Castonzo, 6 of our starters, we really weren’t all that awful. We definitely shouldn’t be ranked number 9, but that loss was kinda to be expected imo

Also, if Rock doesn’t get that hands to the face penalty and doesn’t allow the AJ Brown touchdown, I think we at least keep that game close; those two mistakes opened the floodgates

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said in another thread it’s very unlikely the Colts and every team they are fighting with is going to win every game they should here on out so let’s just wait and see what happens.

I mentioned in another thread about there being 5 games left and plenty of time.

Let's go Colts!

• Nadine changed the title to ESPN Power Ranking (merge)
8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Still a 7th seed means an away game against the Chiefs.  We would need a significant amount of luck to beat the chiefs.  

A cold, windy January day at Arrowhead would negate some of their "track star" speed, and we could probably beat anyone just once in a relatively low scoring, run dominated game.

We’ve spent the last 15 years going on about not putting any stock in power rankings because they never rated the Colts high enough and they never gave us respect when we were winning, and now because they didn’t ding us for a loss it’s suddenly a barometer of where we are?

GIF by Giphy QA

Nah. Pass that garbage off on someone else. Power rankings are still for rubes. 

On 12/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, Mitch Connors said:

Not directed at either above comment just a general thought about this...

Do you think Chris Berman, Tony Gonzalez, Jim Nanz, etc watch all 16 NFL games each week or do you think they watch 2 or 3 and someone (an intern) watches the games and provides them summary notes? I wonder if a personality, like Phil Simms, actually does know more about the Colts than a regular fan. Guys like Nate Burelson make me think they watch all or at least most of the games but others I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Phil Sims?

Football knowledge?

The Office Lol GIF

Archived