Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett.... What was that all About?

AustexColt

14 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

JB looked totally lost in that play.......... not sure if he knew what he was doing?  His facial expression almost expressed a "not interested" to be doing this. Hopefully I am wrong.

He wasn’t lost Frank got too cute and thought they’d trick them he ran it as called it just wasn’t going to fool anyone.  Let’s see you brought the running QB in and ran RPO.  What do you think the defense thinks they are going to do?

That play was horrible.  The minute you see him in the backfield on that play you knew damn well he wasnt

handing the ball off.   More chance he wasn't giving the ball to Hines in that area.   It's stinks even worse because

he isn't very athletic.  Not going to make anyone miss. 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He wasn’t lost Frank got too cute and thought they’d trick them he ran it as called it just wasn’t going to fool anyone.  Let’s see you brought the running QB in and ran RPO.  What do you think the defense thinks they are going to do?

They covered really well on that play, frank probably had analytics highlighting the game situation.

Frank will learn from this!

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Don’t call plays that everyone in the stadium ( poor choice of words ).... everyone including their grandmother knows is coming. Especially with a guy who can’t run. Or pass. 

I'm not even sure that play would work in practice.     Reich blew this game.   Hopefully Ballard (and maybe Irsay) have a talk with him.  

6 hours ago, JackOLantin said:

They covered really well on that play, frank probably had analytics highlighting the game situation.

Frank will learn from this!

Right...even JAC was able to easily diagnose and blow up that play...that's how bad it was. 

All they did was run blitz and cover the slower TEs in man coverage to take away his short pass options. They managed to tackle both the RB and JB.

Just now, Superman said:

Frank needs to shrink his playbook. Dramatically. He can start with all the plays that involve taking the ball out of his starting QB's hand, especially inside the five yard line. 

Didn't they convert another 4th down to Doyle via the pass later? I think he needs to run more boot leg passes with motion to his TEs more than just the comeback route to the WR or the obvious handoff. The Texans 4th down game, same thing happened with the WR play called that TY couldn't hold on in this game. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Didn't they convert another 4th down to Doyle via the pass later? I think he needs to run more boot leg passes with motion to his TEs more than just the comeback route to the WR or the obvious handoff. The Texans 4th down game, same thing happened with the WR play called that TY couldn't hold on in this game. 

The JB play was on second down... But yeah, I liked the 4th down to Doyle. They set it up all game and then finally went with it. Well done.

And I don't have a problem with the 4th down call early in the game, even though it came up short. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail, but I think going for it on 4th down in short yardage is generally a good decision. Just have to execute better, and I wouldn't mind using a different back in those situations.

But whatever you're gonna do, don't take your QB1 off the field. If you have Taysom Hill or someone dynamic like that, let's talk. Not for JB. 

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

IMO, he needs to hand the playbook to someone else.

That's a drastic overreaction, and I disagree strongly. Frank is usually a really good play caller. But he has moments where he seems to lose rhythm, or tries to get cute. Yesterday was a day to get stubborn with the run game, and instead he went away from it. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The JB play was on second down... But yeah, I liked the 4th down to Doyle. They set it up all game and then finally went with it. Well done.

And I don't have a problem with the 4th down call early in the game, even though it came up short. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail, but I think going for it on 4th down in short yardage is generally a good decision. Just have to execute better, and I wouldn't mind using a different back in those situations.

But whatever you're gonna do, don't take your QB1 off the field. If you have Taysom Hill or someone dynamic like that, let's talk. Not for JB. 

Agreed. No team is going to fear us, and it's too easy to telegraph what we're going to do. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. We've had this same issue with playcalling year after year no matter what coaching staff is on the sideline. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's a drastic overreaction, and I disagree strongly. Frank is usually a really good play caller. But he has moments where he seems to lose rhythm, or tries to get cute. Yesterday was a day to get stubborn with the run game, and instead he went away from it. 

If anyone's thoughts deserve respect, they're yours, Supe.  IIRC he had those same "Moments" last season.  We'll see.  :^)

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

If anyone's thoughts deserve respect, they're yours, Supe.  IIRC he had those same "Moments" last season.  We'll see.  :^)

Anything he did last season can be traced back to substandard QBing. But he went in the opposite direction yesterday. 

And to be fair, he had some play calling issues in 2018. I hated his play calling in the playoff loss to the Chiefs. I just think he's usually a good play caller, at times a great play caller, who needs to tighten up in some areas. Even still, he had some really nice calls yesterday.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

The only time he did not go away from it is when Mahomes was the QB on the other side and we were leading and controlling tempo in the Chiefs game, based on my recollection.

He tends to do that on the road more. At home, he sticks with the run a little bit more. He abandoned the run too early vs the Chiefs in the playoff divisional round game as well.

Same case in the game at Jacksonville with Luck where we lost 0-6.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not totally sure how bad Nelson's back injury is, but that 4th and 1 in the redzone Nelson didn't complete his block.  Typically, we're in good shape if we hand it off and run behind the LG, that play wasn't the case.

I know Reich kinda got away from the run (maybe in part due to Mack going down), but our OL was the part of the team I was expecting to dominate this game and they didn't.  Even though the Jags traded away their top pass-rusher, Rivers was getting plenty of pressure and it didn't seem like Taylor had many big holes to run through.

I had a question in the Colts mailbag this past week asking if they thought we'd have plays specifically for JB (my hope was that they wouldn't), but they did.  That play was the worst call of the game, IMO and really cost us in a crucial situation.  I get Ballard and Reich like JB and his teammates respect him, etc.... but he really has no reason to be on the field if Rivers isn't hurt.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't have had much of an issue with it if the used Mack or Taylor.   Using a small RB in that situation will usually fail.  At the time I did wish they would take the 3 points and have a 10-0 lead.   

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I had a question in the Colts mailbag this past week asking if they thought we'd have plays specifically for JB (my hope was that they wouldn't), but they did.  That play was the worst call of the game, IMO and really cost us in a crucial situation.  I get Ballard and Reich like JB and his teammates respect him, etc.... but he really has no reason to be on the field if Rivers isn't hurt.

I agree.   It looked bad all the way around.  Trying it early on a drive might be OK, but not where they were.   

Frank is a nice guy but a bad coach, he pulled a Pagano play when McAfee lined up  behind the center and got snuff bad when they played the Patriots. That was one of the ten worst plays in NFL history. That's two now in the last five years the Colts made history. Send Reich back to Coaching 101 under Reid. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I love that Frank goes for it on 4th down. Those calls are most of the time no brainers. What I hate is how we keep pounding our heads into the same run play behind Quenton. I get it... he's the best guard in the league, but even he cannot overcome severe overstacking to his side when the opponent knows what you are going to do in those short yardage situations. This is part of the reason runs to the right of the line were actually more successful last year than runs behind Q and AC... opponents just know what you are going to do and sending reinforcements there. I wish he would run more behind Braden... he's actually pretty damn good run blocker... Glowinski too. Both of them are not great pass-protectors but if you are going to run... why not balance it out a bit more...

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I love that Frank goes for it on 4th down. Those calls are most of the time no brainers. What I hate is how we keep pouding our heads into the same run play behind Quenton. I get it... he's the best guard in the league, but even he cannot overcome severe overstacking to his side when the opponent knows what you are going to do in those short yardage situations. This is part of the reason runs to the left of the line were actually more successful last year than runs behind Q and AC... opponents just know what you are going to do and sending reinforcements there. I wish he would run more behind Braden... he's actually pretty damn good run blocker... Glowinski too. Both of them are not great pass-protectors but if you are going to run... why not balance it out a bit more...

Spot on.

On short yardage situations, every team in the NFL knows we're going to attempt a run behind Big Q, so they stack players there. 

On the other hand, the fake run behind Big Q and pass to Doyle worked well because of those tendencies.

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm not totally sure how bad Nelson's back injury is, but that 4th and 1 in the redzone Nelson didn't complete his block.  Typically, we're in good shape if we hand it off and run behind the LG, that play wasn't the case.

I know Reich kinda got away from the run (maybe in part due to Mack going down), but our OL was the part of the team I was expecting to dominate this game and they didn't.  Even though the Jags traded away their top pass-rusher, Rivers was getting plenty of pressure and it didn't seem like Taylor had many big holes to run through.

It's possible Nelson's back affected that play, but I thought he just got beat low. Good play by the other side. A more powerful back might still have been able to complete the run. We'll see if Nelson has issues moving forward.

I think the OL had a substandard game overall, but Rivers made some bad decisions, the play calls were a little wonky, we had some mistakes... but the defense was bad. The run D tightened up in the second half, but the pass defense didn't make a single play all game. It's an outrage. 

The play call to JB could have been costly... as it stands, we scored a TD on the next play. But I agree, no reason for JB to be on the field. He's not quick or fast enough to be a gadget player.

That play went exactly as I imagined it would when Frank mentioned having some packages for JB. He just doesn't bring anything truly dynamic to the field to warrant taking PR off and essentially telegraphing the next play. Jacksonville was aware of the JB package, since it was stated publicly, and was obviously ready for it.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's possible Nelson's back affected that play, but I thought he just got beat low. Good play by the other side. A more powerful back might still have been able to complete the run. We'll see if Nelson has issues moving forward.

I think the OL had a substandard game overall, but Rivers made some bad decisions, the play calls were a little wonky, we had some mistakes... but the defense was bad. The run D tightened up in the second half, but the pass defense didn't make a single play all game. It's an outrage. 

The play call to JB could have been costly... as it stands, we scored a TD on the next play. But I agree, no reason for JB to be on the field. He's not quick or fast enough to be a gadget player.

It was just a bad game by almost everyone.   I haven't watched it again, but I can't think of a player who had a good game.  At first I think maybe Campbell, but that taunting was just dumb and negates him having a "good" game.  Hilton did OK till his drops at the end.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't have had much of an issue with it if the used Mack or Taylor.   Using a small RB in that situation will usually fail.  At the time I did wish they would take the 3 points and have a 10-0 lead.   

In hindsight, sure. But philosophically, I support the decision to go for it. Even though they failed, the defense actually got a stop on the next drive, which is what your counting on there. Sadly Rivers threw the pick on that next drive.

In general, 4th and short should be attempted more often than it is, and you won't get them all, but early in the game I'm not counting points yet. If it's a tight game in the 4th quarter, take the 3. First quarter, I'm good with the decision. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I love that Frank goes for it on 4th down. Those calls are most of the time no brainers. What I hate is how we keep pouding our heads into the same run play behind Quenton. I get it... he's the best guard in the league, but even he cannot overcome severe overstacking to his side when the opponent knows what you are going to do in those short yardage situations. This is part of the reason runs to the left of the line were actually more successful last year than runs behind Q and AC... opponents just know what you are going to do and sending reinforcements there. I wish he would run more behind Braden... he's actually pretty damn good run blocker... Glowinski too. Both of them are not great pass-protectors but if you are going to run... why not balance it out a bit more...

Agreed. Best thing about running to the right is you can pull Q and get an even bigger advantage. 

Even then, it took Nelson getting beat on a second move, and Hines not being able to fall forward. I mean, they're going to run left plenty, but have to execute better when they do. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

It was just a bad game by almost everyone.   I haven't watched it again, but I can't think of a player who had a good game.  At first I think maybe Campbell, but that taunting was just dumb and negates him having a "good" game.  Hilton did OK till his drops at the end.  

I think the refs were trigger happy on the taunting call, tbh. Yeah, Parris could have completely avoided it, but I would rather not see that called, on either team. Let them enjoy themselves. 

And I don't have a problem with the 4th down call early in the game, even though it came up short. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail, but I think going for it on 4th down in short yardage is generally a good decision. Just have to execute better, and I wouldn't mind using a different back in those situations

Yes.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I wonder about that too.

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wish he would run more behind Braden... he's actually pretty damn good run blocker... Glowinski too. Both of them are not great pass-protectors but if you are going to run... why not balance it out a bit more...

Yes.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Frank needs to shrink his playbook. Dramatically. He can start with all the plays that involve taking the ball out of his starting QB's hand, especially inside the five yard line. 

Yeah I think Frank got way too cute yesterday.

It was almost like they wanted to put things on tape for other teams to look at and got away from just being the Colts.  I kinda think that they might have over looked the Jags a bit.

I think the refs were trigger happy on the taunting call, tbh. Yeah, Parris could have completely avoided it, but I would rather not see that called, on either team. Let them enjoy themselves. 

I won't argue that, but I remember questioning WTH he was doing before the flag even came in, so I wasn't surprised to see a flag.   

Archived