Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett.... What was that all About?

AustexColt

On 9/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, CurBeatElite said:

I'm not totally sure how bad Nelson's back injury is, but that 4th and 1 in the redzone Nelson didn't complete his block.  Typically, we're in good shape if we hand it off and run behind the LG, that play wasn't the case.

I know Reich kinda got away from the run (maybe in part due to Mack going down), but our OL was the part of the team I was expecting to dominate this game and they didn't.  Even though the Jags traded away their top pass-rusher, Rivers was getting plenty of pressure and it didn't seem like Taylor had many big holes to run through.

I had a question in the Colts mailbag this past week asking if they thought we'd have plays specifically for JB (my hope was that they wouldn't), but they did.  That play was the worst call of the game, IMO and really cost us in a crucial situation.  I get Ballard and Reich like JB and his teammates respect him, etc.... but he really has no reason to be on the field if Rivers isn't hurt.

JB has no reason to be on the team period.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, Myles said:

I wouldn't have had much of an issue with it if the used Mack or Taylor.   Using a small RB in that situation will usually fail.  At the time I did wish they would take the 3 points and have a 10-0 lead.   

That's right.. Take the points and go up 10-0 on the road. 

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He’s a great leader! Expensive, but great leader holding a clipboard. 

I think the JB situation is a pretty symbolic of the debate between leadership/locker room and talent. Ideally...you want a player who has both...but unless that guy is some kind of horrible monster...give me the guy with the talent.

Watching Clowney last night...he would have been such a difference maker on this team. It wasn't even one of Clowney's better games...and he still had a higher grade than any Colts defender against JAC (including the DL). And TEN won.

But you have many who would rather pay $21M for JB to be a backup QB/good guy than $15M on Clowney or some other impact player.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I think the JB situation is a pretty symbolic of the debate between leadership/locker room and talent. Ideally...you want a player who has both...but unless that guy is some kind of horrible monster...give me the guy with the talent.

Watching Clowney last night...he would have been such a difference maker on this team. It wasn't even one of Clowney's better games...and he still had a higher grade than any Colts defender against JAC (including the DL). And TEN won.

But you have many who would rather pay $21M for JB to be a backup QB/good guy than $15M on Clowney or some other impact player.

The Colts are 24 million under the cap.  They could have had Clowney if they wanted him even with Jacoby.  That’s assuming Clowney wanted to come here.  The saints supposedly offered more money and he still picked the Titans because of Vabrel.

5 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

JB has no reason to be on the team period.

Except when your starting QB abruptly retires while JBs on the sideline. Looking like a deer in the headlights. Go figure. the nerve of some people. Are you just as mad at AL for putting you in this predicament to begin with? smh

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wonder if there would've been thread made had JB ran or thrown for a TD on that play. My answer is, I doubt it. People continue to just bash on this guy any chance they get, so comical. 

I had issues with Sunday’s play but not because of Jacoby.  I thought it was bad call by Frank.

Sometimes I get to wondering if Frank should give the play calling duties over to Nick Sirriani.   Same way Andy Reid handed the play calling duties over to Matt Nagy that year.   I would like to see the difference and see if maybe he's a bit better and less risky.  I get annoyed sometimes with Frank when he goes for it on 4th down over and over again.  I don't mind it sometimes, but other occasions I don't like it.  Frank does other stuff that aggravate me at times as well. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Sometimes I get to wondering if Frank should give the play calling duties over to Nick Sirriani.   Same way Andy Reid handed the play calling duties over to Matt Nagy that year.   I would like to see the difference and see if maybe he's a bit better and less risky.  I get annoyed sometimes with Frank when he goes for it on 4th down over and over again.  I don't mind it sometimes, but other occasions I don't like it.  Frank does other stuff that aggravate me at times as well. 

I don't know anything abut Sirianni as a play caller, so I'm not necessarily stumping for him, but it's not my favorite situation to have the head coach as a primary play caller. I think Reich is good at it, but I agree there are times where I think more focus would benefit him. The head coach is always going to have to divide his attention. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wonder if there would've been thread made had JB ran or thrown for a TD on that play. My answer is, I doubt it. People continue to just bash on this guy any chance they get, so comical. 

I disagree.   I think most would have talked about how he could be an extra option in the offense.  Fans don't dislike Jacoby, they dislike his lack of production.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think most would have talked about how he could be an extra option in the offense.  Fans don't dislike Jacoby, they dislike his lack of production.

This particular play was not all on Brissett.

It was a very poor play call by Reich. The second Brisett stepped on the field the whole defense knew what was coming. The offensive blocking was also horrendous. Bad play by all, not just Brissett.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One day when Trey Burton is healthy, they're going to run a gadget play with him (he was the trigger man on the Philly Special). If that play looks as awful as the JB play did, I promise you I'll start a thread about it if no one else does. You have my word.

If they ran a gadget play for a player with gadget playmaking ability -- Hines, Campbell, any fast/shifty player -- it would be viewed differently. I personally don't understand taking Rivers off the field to run a gadget play for JB, not because I don't like JB, but because JB isn't a gadget player. He's also not a dynamic playmaker. It's like Denver taking Peyton Manning off the field to run a trick play with Brock Osweiler. (Except Osweiler is a little faster/quicker than JB.)

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

One day when Trey Burton is healthy, they're going to run a gadget play with him (he was the trigger man on the Philly Special). If that play looks as awful as the JB play did, I promise you I'll start a thread about it if no one else does. You have my word.

If they ran a gadget play for a player with gadget playmaking ability -- Hines, Campbell, any fast/shifty player -- it would be viewed differently. I personally don't understand taking Rivers off the field to run a gadget play for JB, not because I don't like JB, but because JB isn't a gadget player. He's also not a dynamic playmaker. It's like Denver taking Peyton Manning off the field to run a trick play with Brock Osweiler. (Except Osweiler is a little faster/quicker than JB.)

Bringing JB in for 1 play was ok to me but the play call was bad - too predictable. IMO Reich is usually a good play caller, just a strange sequence. 

16 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Except when your starting QB abruptly retires while JBs on the sideline. Looking like a deer in the headlights. Go figure. the nerve of some people. Are you just as mad at AL for putting you in this predicament to begin with? smh

After the abrupt retirement of AL the "deer in headlights" played well leading the team to a 5-2 start. Then after he settled in they went 2-7. Not putting it all on JB, but one would think last year's scenario would have produced a slow start followed by a strong finish, instead of the opposite.

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

After the abrupt retirement of AL the "deer in headlights" played well leading the team to a 5-2 start. Then after he settled in they went 2-7. Not putting it all on JB, but one would think last year's scenario would have produced a slow start followed by a strong finish, instead of the opposite.

You mean JB going 2-7 after getting hurt. Keep the context though. How about Phillip Rivers? Has he not looked like a backup QB?

Rivers has been in the NFL since Big Ben. He is a big boy. And has shown what since last year? Im just asking questions. Just as I had before giving Rivers $25M to play like a backup QB. We lost against the Jaguars. let that sit in before you make excuses. The only team worst than the Jags is a two way tie between the Lions and the Browns.

Yet im still confused as to why this thread is even created. JB took one snap. Rivers started the entire game and came away with a loss. Is this a way to deflect the atrocious game play of Rivers? I mean because if you are capping for Rivers, you might be making excuses for a few more weeks. We better hope the Colts win against the Vikings. better yet, Rivers better hope the Colts win against the Vikings. Why? they are going to make another JB thread to deflect.

The truth hurts. 

11 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You mean JB going 2-7 after getting hurt. Keep the context though. How about Phillip Rivers? Has he not looked like a backup QB?

Rivers has been in the NFL since Big Ben. He is a big boy. And has shown what since last year? Im just asking questions. Just as I had before giving Rivers $25M to play like a backup QB. We lost against the Jaguars. let that sit in before you make excuses. The only team worst than the Jags is a two way tie between the Lions and the Browns.

Wasn’t a fan of the Rivers signing. Even less so after holding my breath on every pass more than 5 yards. But I’ll give him a couple more weeks and see how it goes. I’m not optimistic though. His arm looks shot.

JB has been covered ad nauseam, so will pass on any more comments on him. 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I think Frank got way too cute yesterday.

It was almost like they wanted to put things on tape for other teams to look at and got away from just being the Colts.  I kinda think that they might have over looked the Jags a bit.

And the more alarming thing is they also didn't have a preseason, and it's week 1. This is no time for the Colts to play cute. We should have stuck to sound fundamentals and lots of run plays.

20 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yet im still confused as to why this thread is even created. JB took one snap. Rivers started the entire game and came away with a loss. Is this a way to deflect the atrocious game play of Rivers? I mean because if you are capping for Rivers, you might be making excuses for a few more weeks. We better hope the Colts win against the Vikings. better yet, Rivers better hope the Colts win against the Vikings. Why? they are going to make another JB thread to deflect.

The truth hurts. 

He didn't have that bad of a game.  For the first game on a whole new team, he had the offense clicking pretty well.  

But this thread isn't about Rivers.   It's about the Brissett play.   It just didn't look ready for real game action.  

21 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

The truth hurts. 

There's literally a Phillip Rivers thread:

Both threads can exist at the same time and both can be equally scrutinized...

On 9/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts are 24 million under the cap.  They could have had Clowney if they wanted him even with Jacoby.  That’s assuming Clowney wanted to come here.  The saints supposedly offered more money and he still picked the Titans because of Vabrel.

I don't know...spending $15M of an available $24M is a much more difficult decision to make than spending $15M of an available $45M...especially with the looming extensions and the need to roll over cap.

But my point wasn't that the Colts couldn't sign a guy like Clowney because of JB...it was more about the difference in perception of those two players.

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't know...spending $15M of an available $24M is a much more difficult decision to make than spending $15M of an available $45M...especially with the looming extensions and the need to roll over cap.

But my point wasn't that the Colts couldn't sign a guy like Clowney because of JB...it was more about the difference in perception of those two players.

The reason why JB signed for $15M is because your starting QB abruptly retires. JB was a backup and was receiving backup compensation. 

So because of the change in roles, the Indy Colts didn't have a starting QB making starting QB money. Thus, because of the change in roles, JB had to sign a starting QB contract. I mean, we all know that contracts comes with benchmarks or goals to hit. I mean how could a starting QB reach the benchmarks if he's under contract as a backup?

But that's besides the point. Rivers is who I thought he was. And we let him OFF THE HOOK! now if you wanna crown em', then crown em'. But he is who we thought he was!

Archived