Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett feels he’s still starter material.

csmopar

On 8/15/2020 at 12:18 PM, csmopar said:

And states he played at a high level last year. I feel he was slightly about average at the most. but I think this is him trying to drum up his next contract more than anything else.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1997351/2020/08/14/colts-backup-qb-jacoby-brissett-i-still-believe-im-a-starter-in-this-league/%3famp

For those without a subscription similar article here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/sports/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-im-a-starter-in-this-league/amp/

I don't see anyone he could replace as the starter in this league.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He could start for the Redskins, Dolphins, Chargers, or the Jags, just 4 teams off the top of my head. You really hate JB it is comical.

I'll give you Washington. He and Haskins are on a par but i like JB better. Dolphins will be happy with Fitz till Tua is ready. Chargers are in a similar position with T Taylor playing till Hebert is up to speed. Sorry but I think Minshew has a better future and is better now. The Bears maybe but not many others in my opinion.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He could start for the Redskins, Dolphins, Chargers, or the Jags, just 4 teams off the top of my head. You really hate JB it is comical.

I don't know. I wouldn't say he'd automatically beat out Haskins, Smith, or Minshew. And he'd just be a bridge guy for the Phins and Chargers. I don't even know if he'd beat out Fitzmagic or Taylor. He wouldn't have the benefit of a good OL on any of those teams, and that long time to throw would likely get him killed. He's not mobile like several of those guys.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know. I wouldn't say he'd automatically beat out Haskins, Smith, or Minshew. And he'd just be a bridge guy for the Phins and Chargers. I don't even know if he'd beat out Fitzmagic or Taylor. He wouldn't have the benefit of a good OL on any of those teams, and that long time to throw would likely get him killed. He's not mobile like several of those guys.

"He could" I guess is my key words. Those QB's you mentioned are in JB's range of ranking. Alex Smith in his prime was better but after that injury not sure. I am surprised Alex didn't retire. That injury almost cost him his leg. Fitzmagic is like JB, he looks good for 2 weeks than bad for 2 weeks. Same range. Minshew is the same as JB = good/bad, good/bad lmao 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"He could" I guess is my key words. Those QB's you mentioned are in JB's range of ranking. Alex Smith in his prime was better but after that injury not sure. I am surprised Alex didn't retire. That injury almost cost him his leg. Fitzmagic is like JB, he looks good for 2 weeks than bad for 2 weeks. Same range. Minshew is the same as JB = good/bad, good/bad lmao 

IDK. Those guys had much worse teams around them. If you think JB suffered from a depleted WR unit, those teams have a lot less overall on O (OL, RBs, WRs, TEs). 

I'd take Fitzmagic every day and twice on Sunday over JB. He had a top 10 QBR for the year. It's too early to say about Haskins. I think Minshew is better. I'd say Taylor and he are about the same though.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Those guys had much worse teams around them. If you think JB suffered from a depleted WR unit, those teams have a lot less overall on O (OL, RBs, WRs, TEs). 

I'd take Fitzmagic every day and twice on Sunday over JB. He had a top 10 QBR for the year. It's too early to say about Haskins. I think Minshew is better. I'd say Taylor and he are about the same though.

I would take JB over Taylor but it is close. Fitzmagic has always puzzled me. He looks like Dan Marino for 3 weeks in a row, then he turns into Painter for 2 or 3 weeks. It is the damnest thing with him haha 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take JB over Taylor but it is close. Fitzmagic has always puzzled me. He looks like Dan Marino for 3 weeks in a row, then he turns into Painter for 2 or 3 weeks. It is the damnest thing with him haha 

For the past several years at Miami, it's really hard for anyone not to look like Painter lol. I could see him having a very nice start this year in Miami now that they've brought in some supporting talent.

Fitz has played on a bunch of really bad teams, and has had a few pretty good years despite horrible support. He's a QB I've always felt sorry for... lol

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

For the past several years at Miami, it's really hard for anyone not to look like Painter lol. I could see him having a very nice start this year in Miami now that they've brought in some supporting talent.

Fitz has played on a bunch of really bad teams, and has had a few pretty good years despite horrible support. He's a QB I've always felt sorry for... lol

I like Fitz, I wonder how we do under a coach like BB? He would probably be more consistent.

23 hours ago, coltsva said:

I believe Brissett can play at a high level, but only if he is traded to Denver. 

18 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

And win a super bowl for them.

“Deja Vous all over again”......

Yogi Berra

I was actually referring to the altitude. :D

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Since it looks like you're looking for a rehash with more than "nothing"... Here ya go. I'd challenge that both of your posts were highly anecdotal with very little substance. Here's a bit of substance below, but I could go deeper like in the past.... 

Responding to both posts....

I'm sooooo over JB in general. The bashing and the JB rose colored glassed. I long for the day when we don't have JB threads. Anyway, facts are not bashing. So don't expect folks not to reply when statements are made that fail to take into account the facts.

1. Blake Bortles? Blake Bortles isn't a top 32 QB, isn't even employed, etc., so not sure what relevance he has to JB. It's certainly not an argument that JB is a middle 10 QB. Compare him to the assumed 32 starters going into the season if you must. Personally I see him somewhere 26-40.

2. WRs as an excuse - missing WRs certainly stinks, but doesn't erase the below.
A. If you factor in WR injury, you also need to give credit for a top 5 OL, and top 10 running game, both which made it easier on JB.
B. We returned, and had healthy most of the year, 3 of our top 4 recieving targets from 2018 (we were a top 5 passing O in 2018). All regressed when healthy.
C. Doyle, our #2 receiver in 2017, was back and healthy in 2019 after injury in 2018, and regressed and/or underutilized. 
D. JB was incapable or unwilling to throw deep and to the seam.
E. There's plenty of film of missed open receivers that simply can't be ignored. Anyone in the seam was almost invisible.

3. Pitt injury - Acting like JB was playing at a high level pre-Pitt is ignoring a lot of simple facts. JB had four sub 50 QBR games in the first 7 games leading up to Pitt. That's simply not good. Three were sub 40, and that's simply bad. The "team" winning, or simply not losing, does not equate to high level QB play. He had some good moments, but consistent or high performing he was not. His best showings, vs Houston and ATL, both had atrocious pass Ds.

4. Reichs's game plan not helping JB? - This is a bit crazy to be honest. Reich did all he could to make things easy on JB. It's hard to game plan with a QB who has an incredibly long time to throw, struggles to read Ds, struggles in progressions, struggles throwing deep, struggles throwing to the seam, etc. There's only so much you can do. Most of these are the same struggles he's had since college. He's just not a good fit for a Reich O plain and simple. I absolutely expect a team to tailor their game plan for their best available QB (which we did last year), but I also don't expect a coach to totally change his entire offense long term for a QB that doesn't fit the coaches offensive scheme.

In short, there's a reason why we spent money on an aging vet (Rivers), and drafted a QB. And there's a reason why he was #3 on Belichick's depth chart behind a guy (Stidham) that may not even start this year. I guess you think Reich, Ballard, and Bellichick are all bad evaluators? I really hope for the best for JB, and really like him as a guy and as a backup. That said, looking at facts objectively, and thinking JB is not starter caliber or a good fit, is not "bashing" or "hate". It's just is what it is.

Whatever.

could you write That down on paper...... SOFT paper.  Then i could “use” it for something at least.

I didnt waste time reading.  All i said was i’m sick of the childish JB bashing.  Thats it.  I dont believe i singled you out... but ok.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In short, there's a reason why we spent money on an aging vet (Rivers), and drafted a QB. And there's a reason why he was #3 on Belichick's depth chart behind a guy (Stidham) that may not even start this year. I guess you think Reich, Ballard, and Bellichick are all bad evaluators? I really hope for the best for JB, and really like him as a guy and as a backup. That said, looking at facts objectively, and thinking JB is not starter caliber or a good fit, is not "bashing" or "hate". It's just is what it is.

For the record...   At New England, Jacoby was 3 behind Garroppolo, not Stidham. 

JB has been with the Colts since September of 17.   Stidham wasn’t even drafted by NE until 2019.  

On 8/15/2020 at 9:47 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

He is dreaming...

His dreams have made him mega millions...

not such a bad dream.

just saying...

Not that I want him on the team long term, his talent and personality have served him well. Best wishes for the future.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Whatever.

could you write That down on paper...... SOFT paper.  Then i could “use” it for something at least.

I didnt waste time reading.  All i said was i’m sick of the childish JB bashing.  Thats it.  I dont believe i singled you out... but ok.

You want to use a post as TP but admit you didn't even read it?   

Brissett is what he is.   He's the same QB he was in college.   He'll lead a team to around a .500 record.   That's a good back up, but not starter.  I hope he gets to compete for a starter job next season.  It won't be with the Colts.  

I can see where JB would make the argument that he’s good enough to be a starter in the NFL.  His problem is that every team in the league isn’t merely on the hunt for a starter, they’re on the hunt for a franchise level QB.  Only loser teams settle for “pretty good” for any length of time - at any position.

Well, he’s not a franchise QB.  But he might be good enough to occupy a starting position while a team is trying to land the fish they want and need.  He might even be the kind of QB that could help put them in that draft position.

I really don't get the hate for JB on this forum.  Especially as the backup QB.  He is arguably the best backup in the NFL.   

Why would any team NOT want the best backup player at a position?    Wouldn't you all like to have the best backup RB in the NFL?  The best LT? the best OC?   

Is it because of the money?   That's stupid if so,   it hasn't hurt the team and its not your money to spend. 

JB gives us the best chance to continue  winning if PR goes down.

Yea last yr was rough, but it was rough for the whole team,  Too many injuries.

Do I want him to be a starter for the Colts?  No not at this time,   BUT he's the freaking backup!!!! And I'll take that any day!!!!

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I really don't get the hate for JB on this forum.  Especially as the backup QB.  He is arguably the best backup in the NFL.   

Why would any team NOT want the best backup player at a position?    Wouldn't you all like to have the best backup RB in the NFL?  The best LT? the best OC?   

Is it because of the money?   That's stupid if so,   it hasn't hurt the team and its not your money to spend. 

Do I want him to be a starter for the Colts?  No not at this time,   BUT he's the freaking backup!!!! And I'll take that any day!!!!

Brissett is fine as a backup. My main issue with him is the money. It does hurt the team. No team is perfect and every team can use improvements at certain positions. We could of used Brissett's money to have solid depth at the O-Line if we lose any of our starters to injury or the coronavirus. We could of signed Clowney for a year if Brissett had a normal backup contract and that would of been a much-needed edge rusher. 

Ballard made a mistake here. It's not a major one as it won't affect us beyond this year, but if we have the wrong injuries to the wrong positions, then it could be the difference between missing the playoffs or making it, or making the playoffs and being one and done instead of making the SB and possibly winning it. 

Again, Brissett is fine as a backup, his contract makes the team worse for this year though.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Again, Brissett is fine as a backup, his contract makes the team worse for this year though.

No it doesn't.  The Colts have not, not signed any free agent because of JBs contract, that have not, not signed any draft pick because of JBs contract and the Colts still have plenty of cap space left if they need/want to make other moves.

9 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Where are you seeing "hate" for Brissett?    Saying he isn't a good starter isn't hate for him being the backup.   

I don't think he is the best back up in the league.   That would probably be Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Tua and a couple more may be in the running.   Brissett is a top 5 backup for sure though.   

On 8/16/2020 at 6:56 AM, EastStreet said:

Since it looks like you're looking for a rehash with more than "nothing"... Here ya go. I'd challenge that both of your posts were highly anecdotal with very little substance. Here's a bit of substance below, but I could go deeper like in the past.... 

Responding to both posts....

I'm sooooo over JB in general. The bashing and the JB rose colored glassed. I long for the day when we don't have JB threads. Anyway, facts are not bashing. So don't expect folks not to reply when statements are made that fail to take into account the facts.

1. Blake Bortles? Blake Bortles isn't a top 32 QB, isn't even employed, etc., so not sure what relevance he has to JB. It's certainly not an argument that JB is a middle 10 QB. Compare him to the assumed 32 starters going into the season if you must. Personally I see him somewhere 26-40.

2. WRs as an excuse - missing WRs certainly stinks, but doesn't erase the below.
A. If you factor in WR injury, you also need to give credit for a top 5 OL, and top 10 running game, both which made it easier on JB.
B. We returned, and had healthy most of the year, 3 of our top 4 recieving targets from 2018 (we were a top 5 passing O in 2018). All regressed when healthy.
C. Doyle, our #2 receiver in 2017, was back and healthy in 2019 after injury in 2018, and regressed and/or underutilized. 
D. JB was incapable or unwilling to throw deep and to the seam.
E. There's plenty of film of missed open receivers that simply can't be ignored. Anyone in the seam was almost invisible.

3. Pitt injury - Acting like JB was playing at a high level pre-Pitt is ignoring a lot of simple facts. JB had four sub 50 QBR games in the first 7 games leading up to Pitt. That's simply not good. Three were sub 40, and that's simply bad. The "team" winning, or simply not losing, does not equate to high level QB play. He had some good moments, but consistent or high performing he was not. His best showings, vs Houston and ATL, both had atrocious pass Ds.

4. Reichs's game plan not helping JB? - This is a bit crazy to be honest. Reich did all he could to make things easy on JB. It's hard to game plan with a QB who has an incredibly long time to throw, struggles to read Ds, struggles in progressions, struggles throwing deep, struggles throwing to the seam, etc. There's only so much you can do. Most of these are the same struggles he's had since college. He's just not a good fit for a Reich O plain and simple. I absolutely expect a team to tailor their game plan for their best available QB (which we did last year), but I also don't expect a coach to totally change his entire offense long term for a QB that doesn't fit the coaches offensive scheme.

You pretty much covered everything there. The JB apologists were all over anyone who was critical of JB all season...so of course they are sick of the JB criticism...they were wrong and there's nothing left to say.

JB didn't have a great WR corps (do most QBs?)...but assuming he would have taken advantage even if he did is just a guess. He won't throw deep, doesn't have anticipation and stares down reads...so the passing offense is more limited because of him...and more weapons won't change that.

I will say...Reich holding back JB is one that I had not heard. I would argue that Reich is responsible for any success that JB had. He did a fantastic job scheming for JB early in the season...which (not coincidentally) were JB's best games. Of course scheming is always easier against very poor pass defenses (like HOU and ATL)...and before certain tendencies are identified on tape. Unfortunately, once teams adjusted to the short passing game...and with JB's refusal to throw deep...there was little Reich could do. So basically he just took the ball out of JB's hands...and played out the string. And it was not fun to watch.

50 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No it doesn't.  The Colts have not, not signed any free agent because of JBs contract, that have not, not signed any draft pick because of JBs contract and the Colts still have plenty of cap space left if they need/want to make other moves.

Maybe...but how can we definitively say that it didn't have some impact on this offseason? Or that it won't next offseason...especially with the upcoming contracts? 

There is always an opportunity cost to sunk cap space...especially a cap hit of $21M+. And ultimately...JB as a backup QB is a negative value at that cost.

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Maybe...but how can we definitively say that it didn't have some impact on this offseason? Or that it won't next offseason...especially with the upcoming contracts? 

There is always an opportunity cost to sunk cap space...especially a cap hit of $21M+. And ultimately...JB as a backup QB is a negative value at that cost.

We can say that because the Colts currently have the 7th most money under the cap.   We are in great financial shape.

Plus, Jacoby’s contract comes off the books after this year.   It has zero impact after this season.   No impact on ‘21 and beyond. 

We can definitively state that it did not have an impact because the Colts still have plenty of cap space to sign someone, the Colts currently have just over 22.5 million in cap space, that is enough cap space that, in addition to the $25 mil they gave Rivers and the huge contract extension they gave Buckner, they still have enough to where they could have fit any other 2020 free agent contract into that cap space.  And we can definitively state it will not have an impact next year because, the contract is done after the 2020 season.

21 mil for a back up is a lot, no doubt but the Colts are not worse because of it this year and, it did not prevent them from signing anyone they wanted to sign.  Nor will it impact any future signings.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:35 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is saying he should be ranked between 11-20.

If that were the case , he would have been a nice trade chip. Rating him anywhere him anywhere near # 11 is a pipe dream

On 8/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, Imgrandojji said:

\Not in the top 10, not in the bottom 10.  Brissett when healthy is an average starter.  7-8 with a decimated WR unit is literally average.

Because it demonstrates that Brissett is not a failed QB.  He took a team with severe flaws and more or less held serve.  Again, Brissett's run looks worse than it was because he took some losses in the second half.  If you pull back and look at the broader picture though, it's clear that Brissett has some things going for him.  He's a smart QB who can get buy in from his teammates.  He's a good clock manager.  he's good at managing the run game. 

Brissett's biggest flaw is that he's not pinpoint accurate in the short game, which is a problem given that he's a grindy game manager style QB, but he still completed about 60% of his passes which is decent.

I disagree with your evaluation and don't see how Blake Bortles failing in the NFL "demonstrates " anything that proves Brissett's skill level. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brissett is fine as a backup. My main issue with him is the money. It does hurt the team. No team is perfect and every team can use improvements at certain positions. We could of used Brissett's money to have solid depth at the O-Line if we lose any of our starters to injury or the coronavirus. We could of signed Clowney for a year if Brissett had a normal backup contract and that would of been a much-needed edge rusher. 

Ballard made a mistake here. It's not a major one as it won't affect us beyond this year, but if we have the wrong injuries to the wrong positions, then it could be the difference between missing the playoffs or making it, or making the playoffs and being one and done instead of making the SB and possibly winning it. 

I think this is a very reasonable perspective on the JB situation...and I agree. You can see JB as a fine backup QB...but not be a fan of his contract (and cap hit this year). And Ballard definitely gambled on his play when he gave that money to JB...regardless of JB's leadership and how much they (or the locker room) liked him. And sometimes gut calls become bad bets and mistakes happen.

If another team...like HOU for example...was carrying a $21M backup QB...I think most people would find that to be a negative for HOU (or a positive I guess...since we are Colts fans and HOU is a divisional rival).

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

You pretty much covered everything there. The JB apologists were all over anyone who was critical of JB all season...so of course they are sick of the JB criticism...they were wrong and there's nothing left to say.

The JB apologist?

You mean the ones who look at why things happen? You may point a finger at JB but overlook the reasons why he didn't play good. 

I guess you think injuries played no part? I guess you think having no receivers played no part either? 

Maybe Reich's play calling didn't help with him trying to protect JB after his injury? 

I agree that JB was not setting the world on fire from the start of the season but he was thrown in as the starter AFTER Luck walked out. 

Maybe it is the JB bashers who are over reacting ? 

When Luck quit there were very few who thought the playoffs were a reality. Even as bad as things got had it not been for the missed field goals and point afters we would have at least tied for the division. 

The old saying things are never as good as they seem and never as bad as they seem either holds true in this case. 

29 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think this is a very reasonable perspective on the JB situation...and I agree. You can see JB as a fine backup QB...but not be a fan of his contract (and cap hit this year). And Ballard definitely gambled on his play when he gave that money to JB...regardless of JB's leadership and how much they (or the locker room) liked him. And sometimes gut calls become bad bets and mistakes happen.

If another team...like HOU for example...was carrying a $21M backup QB...I think most people would find that to be a negative for HOU (or a positive I guess...since we are Colts fans and HOU is a divisional rival).

Ballard didn't gamble by paying Brissett starter QB money. 

The contract Brissett signed has not effected signing anyone Ballard wanted to sign. They signed Rivers didn't they? They also signed Buckner to a pretty huge contract didn't they? 

They still are expected to lead the NFL in cap space in 2021. 

Using JBs contract as a negative is fruitless. 

19 hours ago, Dark_Indy said:

Also, had Vinatieri not been a liability, Week 1 is ours. Even the dismal Destroyer still got Vinatieri'd at Pittsburgh and Miami. (As ugly as the Miami game was, Vinny  missing that XP means we have to go for 

a TD instead of a FG at the end of the game. 

Brissett is better than a lot of people on this forum give him credit for. Not to mention losing Ebron, Mack, Hilton and even his own knee injury derailed the season. Through week four or five of last year, Brissett was tied for the league lead in TD passes too. 

That's because he had an unsustainable TD %...propped up by playcalling near the EZ and short yardage TDs. After the DEN game...9 of his 14 passing TDs came from within 5 yards (8 from within 4 yards). But at that point in the season...the Colts had ran only 11 more pass plays than run plays...but had a 14:4 passing to rushing TD ratio (and one was of those rushing TDs was JB on a scramble).

It was just TD distribution...and it was going to regress big time...which it did. 

6 hours ago, Myles said:

You want to use a post as TP but admit you didn't even read it?   

Brissett is what he is.   He's the same QB he was in college.   He'll lead a team to around a .500 record.   That's a good back up, but not starter.  I hope he gets to compete for a starter job next season.  It won't be with the Colts.  

Nobody said he was the COLTS stater.... they said capable of being one of 32.  Get with the program.

Even if you think Jacoby is wrong.,,,   Even if you think he’s delusional....   don’t you at least want a guy who believes in himself?   I sure do. 

I don’t give two cents about JB’s contract.   I only care about him helping the team both on and off the field.   That’s all that matters.

22 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Nobody said he was the COLTS stater.... they said capable of being one of 32.  Get with the program.

He was the Colts starter for 2 season and shown why he is now a back up QB on a team that signed a high dollar free agent QB and used a good draft pick on another.   He's probably in the range of 35-40th best QB in the league.  

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The JB apologist?

You mean the ones who look at why things happen? You may point a finger at JB but overlook the reasons why he didn't play good. 

I guess you think injuries played no part? I guess you think having no receivers played no part either? 

Maybe Reich's play calling didn't help with him trying to protect JB after his injury? 

I agree that JB was not setting the world on fire from the start of the season but he was thrown in as the starter AFTER Luck walked out. 

Maybe it is the JB bashers who are over reacting ? 

When Luck quit there were very few who thought the playoffs were a reality. Even as bad as things got had it not been for the missed field goals and point afters we would have at least tied for the division. 

The old saying things are never as good as they seem and never as bad as they seem either holds true in this case. 

But this assumes that he is capable of being a high-level NFL QB and that there are legit reasons that prevented him from playing at that level. And this assumption has been a theme since Luck retired.

I know he's a great guy and people in the org love him...but beyond that...I don't understand why there is this need to defend JB...or to be an apologist. It's very possible that he has performed how he has performed because he isn't a very good NFL QB...and that he's a limited player that limits the passing offense...as we saw for most of last season (and his career). To use another old saying..."the simplest answer is most often correct." Outside of a few cherry-picked flashes...JB has never been a high-level NFL QB.

Now I am not saying he had the best situation in the NFL last year...but it certainly was not a bad one. He had all offseason to take the QB1 snaps in practice and develop rapport. He had an elite OL that gave him time...and a strong running game to open things up and move the chains. Injuries to WRs are not ideal...but they are not enough to make a QB look as bad as JB did for the last half of last season...where he was in the conversation for the worst starting QB in the NFL. 

As for him being hurt...here is what Reich said near the end of the season, "You guys know if you ask Jacoby he is going to say nothing is bothering him anyways...we don't use injuries as an excuse and I'm assuming Jacoby is healthy enough to play at a high level.” So if Reich won't use it...and JB won't either...then I don't feel like I am overlooking it.

JMO...but all last season did was reaffirm my thoughts on who he was. Call it confirmation bias if you want...but it's certainly not bashing.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Patriots.  You've got your choice between a corpse and a rookie. Without yet having a chance to see what Cam's comeback tour looks like under live fire, I think Brissett could compete with the last known version of Cam.

Not to mention that JB played in their system before and won a game for them.

Archived