Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett feels he’s still starter material.

csmopar

And states he played at a high level last year. I feel he was slightly about average at the most. but I think this is him trying to drum up his next contract more than anything else.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1997351/2020/08/14/colts-backup-qb-jacoby-brissett-i-still-believe-im-a-starter-in-this-league/%3famp

For those without a subscription similar article here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/sports/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-im-a-starter-in-this-league/amp/

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And states he played at a high level last year. I feel he was slightly about average at the most. but I think this is him trying to drum up his next contract more than anything else.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1997351/2020/08/14/colts-backup-qb-jacoby-brissett-i-still-believe-im-a-starter-in-this-league/%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/sports/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-im-a-starter-in-this-league/amp/

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  That's a good one Jacoby. I'm out of breath.

Ok, one more time. haha lol!

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

im done GIF by Tomas Ferraro, Sports Editor

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I mean, I'd hope he has confidence in himself.... Regardless of the statistics last year

I think what he meant by he "played at a high level last year " was his stats before the knee injury. Not saying I want to stay with him as our QB , just defending his statement a bit.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Jacoby, he is a great backup that we know and an asset to the locker room. As far as starting a full 16 games and getting a team to the playoffs, we don't know if he can do that. He never has so far. 

It took Peyton how long?

Jacoby has skills.  He can certainly start for one of the 32.

He is a middle 10 QB.  He can win games with a strong team around him but won't carry the team to an undeserved win all that often.  

So does anyone actually think Brissett is worse than, say, Blake Bortles?  Because if you do you're just wrong and if not you agree with Brissett

Btw lest we forget Brissett was a .500 quarterback.  Remember 2 of those losses were on the Destroyer, take those out of the picture and Brissett is 7-7.

A guy who can go .500 despite missing most of his receiving talent is probably a starter in this league.

and let's be honest here, when we first heard about Luck retiring any of us would have taken 7-7 with a smile, the only reason he gets this kind of grief is the losses came on the back end after he got our hopes up

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

He is a middle 10 QB.  He can win games with a strong team around him but won't carry the team to an undeserved win all that often.  

So does anyone actually think Brissett is worse than, say, Blake Bortles?  Because if you do you're just wrong and if not you agree with Brissett

Btw lest we forget Brissett was a .500 quarterback.  Remember 2 of those losses were on the Destroyer, take those out of the picture and Brissett is 7-7.

A guy who can go .500 despite missing most of his receiving talent is probably a starter in this league.

and let's be honest here, when we first heard about Luck retiring any of us would have taken 7-7 with a smile, the only reason he gets this kind of grief is the losses came on the back end after he got our hopes up

He is a backup nothing more or less.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Agreed.

And Reich’s offensive gameplan did him no favors either, imo.

Did people expect Jacoby to be Luck?  Even with virtually NO receiving threats?   Did they expect JB to have success right away like Peyton?.....oh wait, scratch that thought.

I really think JBs injury at Pittsburgh set him back in more ways than just the physical.

JB is/will be good enough to be a successful QB in this league if given the tools necessary.  Just like every other “successful” QB in this league has needed.

I’m soooooooo over the JB bashing.

Its childish.

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I get the impression he isn’t real happy with what we’ve done with him and the QB spot, and given the chance he wouldn’t stay here. :dunno:

He’s just trying to get other teams thinking about him as a potential option once he’s able to leave. 

That is how i took it too. He is upset for sure and sounds like he believes he's been dudded.

I have no ill feelings towards him and he has been thrown in the deep end twice when he has been our starter but i personally think i have seen enough of him to think he is not the right fit for us and what the coach wants to execute.

I wish him all the best with whatever he does after this year and if he were to be our starter at any point in the future he has my full support and i will always hope he proves everyone wrong as that only benefits us.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.

And Reich’s offensive gameplan did him no favors either, imo.

Did people expect Jacoby to be Luck?  Even with virtually NO receiving threats?   Did they expect JB to have success right away like Peyton?.....oh wait, scratch that thought.

I really think JBs injury at Pittsburgh set him back in more ways than just the physical.

JB is/will be good enough to be a successful QB in this league if given the tools necessary.  Just like every other “successful” QB in this league has needed.

I’m soooooooo over the JB bashing.

Its childish.

11 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Dude, if you're going to  back up your argument with literally nothing, exactly why are you here?

Since it looks like you're looking for a rehash with more than "nothing"... Here ya go. I'd challenge that both of your posts were highly anecdotal with very little substance. Here's a bit of substance below, but I could go deeper like in the past.... 

Responding to both posts....

I'm sooooo over JB in general. The bashing and the JB rose colored glassed. I long for the day when we don't have JB threads. Anyway, facts are not bashing. So don't expect folks not to reply when statements are made that fail to take into account the facts.

1. Blake Bortles? Blake Bortles isn't a top 32 QB, isn't even employed, etc., so not sure what relevance he has to JB. It's certainly not an argument that JB is a middle 10 QB. Compare him to the assumed 32 starters going into the season if you must. Personally I see him somewhere 26-40.

2. WRs as an excuse - missing WRs certainly stinks, but doesn't erase the below.
A. If you factor in WR injury, you also need to give credit for a top 5 OL, and top 10 running game, both which made it easier on JB.
B. We returned, and had healthy most of the year, 3 of our top 4 recieving targets from 2018 (we were a top 5 passing O in 2018). All regressed when healthy.
C. Doyle, our #2 receiver in 2017, was back and healthy in 2019 after injury in 2018, and regressed and/or underutilized. 
D. JB was incapable or unwilling to throw deep and to the seam.
E. There's plenty of film of missed open receivers that simply can't be ignored. Anyone in the seam was almost invisible.

3. Pitt injury - Acting like JB was playing at a high level pre-Pitt is ignoring a lot of simple facts. JB had four sub 50 QBR games in the first 7 games leading up to Pitt. That's simply not good. Three were sub 40, and that's simply bad. The "team" winning, or simply not losing, does not equate to high level QB play. He had some good moments, but consistent or high performing he was not. His best showings, vs Houston and ATL, both had atrocious pass Ds.

4. Reichs's game plan not helping JB? - This is a bit crazy to be honest. Reich did all he could to make things easy on JB. It's hard to game plan with a QB who has an incredibly long time to throw, struggles to read Ds, struggles in progressions, struggles throwing deep, struggles throwing to the seam, etc. There's only so much you can do. Most of these are the same struggles he's had since college. He's just not a good fit for a Reich O plain and simple. I absolutely expect a team to tailor their game plan for their best available QB (which we did last year), but I also don't expect a coach to totally change his entire offense long term for a QB that doesn't fit the coaches offensive scheme.

In short, there's a reason why we spent money on an aging vet (Rivers), and drafted a QB. And there's a reason why he was #3 on Belichick's depth chart behind a guy (Stidham) that may not even start this year. I guess you think Reich, Ballard, and Bellichick are all bad evaluators? I really hope for the best for JB, and really like him as a guy and as a backup. That said, looking at facts objectively, and thinking JB is not starter caliber or a good fit, is not "bashing" or "hate". It's just is what it is.

18 hours ago, csmopar said:

See: The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect 

It puts the '*' in self-assessment.

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Since it looks like you're looking for a rehash with more than "nothing"... Here ya go. I'd challenge that both of your posts were highly anecdotal with very little substance. Here's a bit of substance below, but I could go deeper like in the past.... 

Responding to both posts....

I'm sooooo over JB in general. The bashing and the JB rose colored glassed. I long for the day when we don't have JB threads. Anyway, facts are not bashing. So don't expect folks not to reply when statements are made that fail to take into account the facts.

1. Blake Bortles? Blake Bortles isn't a top 32 QB, isn't even employed, etc., so not sure what relevance he has to JB. It's certainly not an argument that JB is a middle 10 QB. Compare him to the assumed 32 starters going into the season if you must. Personally I see him somewhere 26-40.

2. WRs as an excuse - missing WRs certainly stinks, but doesn't erase the below.
A. If you factor in WR injury, you also need to give credit for a top 5 OL, and top 10 running game, both which made it easier on JB.
B. We returned, and had healthy most of the year, 3 of our top 4 recieving targets from 2018 (we were a top 5 passing O in 2018). All regressed when healthy.
C. Doyle, our #2 receiver in 2017, was back and healthy in 2019 after injury in 2018, and regressed and/or underutilized. 
D. JB was incapable or unwilling to throw deep and to the seam.
E. There's plenty of film of missed open receivers that simply can't be ignored. Anyone in the seam was almost invisible.

3. Pitt injury - Acting like JB was playing at a high level pre-Pitt is ignoring a lot of simple facts. JB had four sub 50 QBR games in the first 7 games leading up to Pitt. That's simply not good. Three were sub 40, and that's simply bad. The "team" winning, or simply not losing, does not equate to high level QB play. He had some good moments, but consistent or high performing he was not. His best showings, vs Houston and ATL, both had atrocious pass Ds.

4. Reichs's game plan not helping JB? - This is a bit crazy to be honest. Reich did all he could to make things easy on JB. It's hard to game plan with a QB who has an incredibly long time to throw, struggles to read Ds, struggles in progressions, struggles throwing deep, struggles throwing to the seam, etc. There's only so much you can do. Most of these are the same struggles he's had since college. He's just not a good fit for a Reich O plain and simple. I absolutely expect a team to tailor their game plan for their best available QB (which we did last year), but I also don't expect a coach to totally change his entire offense long term for a QB that doesn't fit the coaches offensive scheme.

In short, there's a reason why we spent money on an aging vet (Rivers), and drafted a QB. And there's a reason why he was #3 on Belichick's depth chart behind a guy (Stidham) that may not even start this year. I guess you think Reich, Ballard, and Bellichick are all bad evaluators? I really hope for the best for JB, and really like him as a guy and as a backup. That said, looking at facts objectively, and thinking JB is not starter caliber or a good fit, is not "bashing" or "hate". It's just is what it is.

Watching JB play last year, after the 1st 7 games I had him in the top 15, right at 15th as you know. That was mainly because he had 14 TD's to only 3 INT's, and we were 5-2. As the year went on I seen a lot of flaws though as pointed out by many in here. I do believe we would've got 7-2 had he not got injured at Pitt because with him I think we win that game. We also beat Miami with him as well. Having said that he does have difficulty locating Receivers (reads) and is slow to get rid of the ball which is his downfall. I would probably rank him between 25-35 in that range. Which puts him as a QB that could probably start on a few teams who already have bad QB's and puts him in the great backup category. As bad as he played at times last season, you have to remember in games he started and finished he still went 7-7 which is .500.

11 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm confused as to what a "middle 10 QB is." Also why would you use the Bortles comparison to prove Brissett's performance warrants a starting job in the NFL ? How does being better than a failed QB who is a back up "prove Brissett is a competent NFL starter ? Not putting you down , I just need some clarification.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I'm confused as to what a "middle 10 QB is." Also why would you use the Bortles comparison to prove Brissett's performance warrants a starting job in the NFL ? How does being better than a failed QB who is a back up "prove Brissett is a competent NFL starter ? Not putting you down , I just need some clarification.

I think he is saying he should be ranked between 11-20.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watching JB play last year, after the 1st 7 games I had him in the top 15, right at 15th as you know. That was mainly because he had 14 TD's to only 3 INT's, and we were 5-2. As the year went on I seen a lot of flaws though as pointed out by many in here. I do believe we would've got 7-2 had he not got injured at Pitt because with him I think we win that game. We also beat Miami with him as well. Having said that he does have difficulty locating Receivers (reads) and is slow to get rid of the ball which is his downfall. I would probably rank him between 25-35 in that range. Which puts him as a QB that could probably start on a few teams who already have bad QB's and puts him in the great backup category. As bad as played at times last season, you have to remember in games he started and finished he still went 7-7 which is .500.

Yup. That 25-35 range is fringe starter / backup caliber. Personally I'd love to keep JB around as a backup if he embraced the roll. He's a great safe option to get you over a 1 or 2 game hump. And he's a good guy and team mate.

I didn't have him top 15 early, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried to be patient. I loved how he looked in the first Houston game, but at the same time, they have one of the worst pass Ds in the league. I was hoping he'd look that way against some of the better Ds. 

Purely my opinion, but I just don't see him as a well rounded QB. He's still struggling with a lot of basic things he struggled with in college. He'd be fine though on a team with a stellar D, and a run first mentality. Those types of teams only win the prize when the planets align. Even teams like Baltimore needed an uncharacteristic run of high level QB play from Flacco when they won. 

I'd add that even 7-7, when you note "as bad as he played" is more a statement about the team, than JB as a QB though.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. That 25-35 range is fringe starter / backup caliber. Personally I'd love to keep JB around as a backup if he embraced the roll. He's a great safe option to get you over a 1 or 2 game hump. And he's a good guy and team mate.

I didn't have him top 15 early, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried to be patient. I loved how he looked in the first Houston game, but at the same time, they have one of the worst pass Ds in the league. I was hoping he'd look that way against some of the better Ds. 

Purely my opinion, but I just don't see him as a well rounded QB. He's still struggling with a lot of basic things he struggled with in college. He'd be fine though on a team with a stellar D, and a run first mentality. Those types of teams only win the prize when the planets align. Even teams like Baltimore needed an uncharacteristic run of high level QB play from Flacco when they won. 

Yeah you and I seem to be on the same page with JB, I pretty much agree with everything you posted.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah you and I seem to be on the same page with JB, I pretty much agree with everything you posted.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens after the season. I just don't envision a big market for him, at least as a starter. And I think he'll ultimately go somewhere, or want to go somewhere, where he can truly compete. I envision Rivers doing well this year, and him coming back for at least a year. I'm not so high on Eason, but he does have a strong arm. Just hoping he uses this year to fine tune all the other stuff. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens after the season. I just don't envision a big market for him, at least as a starter. And I think he'll ultimately go somewhere, or want to go somewhere, where he can truly compete. I envision Rivers doing well this year, and him coming back for at least a year. I'm not so high on Eason, but he does have a strong arm. Just hoping he uses this year to fine tune all the other stuff. 

You and I must be eating the same breakfast because I agree with you again. I see Rivers playing well and leading us into the playoffs. Coming back for 1 more year because Ballard will know that is our best option (unless we win the SB, he may retire then). I also am not high on Eason. He has a cannon for an arm but so does JB, it doesn't mean much if you can't read defenses. IMO, I am not even sure Eason has the traits that JB has as in leadership and work ethic? Only time will tell.

Jacoby is not a bad QB.  If Herbert puts up the same stats his second year starting the media will anoint him the next Aaron Rogers. My issue is he doesn’t push the ball down the field.  I think this is bc he struggles reading a NFL defense and anticipating a receiver separating in a route.   If we had stud receivers this wouldn’t be as big of an issue, but this team is built on depth not star power. I think he is more than capable of being a bridge QB on a rebuilding team for 3yrs.  

Archived