Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett feels he’s still starter material.

csmopar

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If JB was in Washington he would be the starter. Smith's leg injury takes him out of the convo and JB is better than Haskins or Allen. So JB could start for other teams, that is just one.

Heck, right now Jacoby would have the inside track for the starting job in New England, or at least be competing with Newton for the job given the very questionable state of Newton at the moment. 

There's a couple other teams that are struggling badly to reinvent themselves, like the Raiders, Chargers, Bears, etc that would at least give the guy a look if he was on the market and they were between disasters at the moment.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t bet that JB is better than Haskins.  Wasn’t he a rookie last year?   Why shouldn’t he get better?    JB may be better, but I don’t think it’s a lock by any means. 

Haskins was rushed in last year, starting him was never Plan A.  Frankly he needs some time practicing behind a veteran starter or they're going to bake in all his bad habits which is the same way Josh Rosen got murdered by the team that drafted him. 

The Washington Football Team is about 2 years away from any serious playoff window anyway, there's no  reason to throw a talented kid into the fire right now.  And to their credit, it was never the plan to do it, crap just happened that was beyond their control.

Situations like this are exactly why guys like Brissett, or Tyrod Taylor, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, keep getting jobs.  Because while you build from the draft it always takes time to get a draft pick ready for premium action and using a safe veteran to cover your youngster until the youngster steals the job is a time honored way to get a great player.

17 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Heck, right now Jacoby would have the inside track for the starting job in New England, or at least be competing with Newton for the job given the very questionable state of Newton at the moment. 

There's a couple other teams that are struggling badly to reinvent themselves, like the Raiders, Chargers, Bears, etc that would at least give the guy a look if he was on the market and they were between disasters at the moment.

The Raiders have Carr who is much better than Brissett.   

The Chargers have Taylor who has also been better than Brissett.   He's got a winning record, a better completion % and a better passer rating.    

I think the Bears would prefer Trubisky and Foles as their options.  

I think Brissett will get signed next year.   Maybe as a backup, maybe somewhere to compete for the starter job.  

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think Eason has the talent and ability to overtake Brissett as the #2 QB on this roster by next year. Maybe if a team like Chicago or the Jags were to sign him, maybe he'd have a chance to start. I have my doubts he'll be a starter next year though. 

:scratch:

Brissett is not under contract next year so it's pretty certain Eason or Kelly will move to the #2 spot.

Who are you referring to when you say Chicago or the Jags may have a chance to sign him to a contract? 

On 8/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Myles said:

The Raiders have Carr who is much better than Brissett.   

The Chargers have Taylor who has also been better than Brissett.   He's got a winning record, a better completion % and a better passer rating.    

I think the Bears would prefer Trubisky and Foles as their options.  

I think Brissett will get signed next year.   Maybe as a backup, maybe somewhere to compete for the starter job.  

If Eason don't step up don't be surprised if Brissett is resigned by Ballard. 

Everyone just assumes Brissett will be gone but that is just disgruntled fans who think that.

Ballard goes with what he and his crew thinks over what fans think. 

We both know assuming anything in the NFL is setting yourself up to be wrong. (not that it matters) 

Just saying. :dunno:

I watched Brissett since his time at NC State.  Good player. 

Being an NC State fan, I've seen Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon, Jacoby Brissett, and Ryan Finley over the last 20 years...all currently in the NFL.

When Brissett made it to the NFL, my thought was that he was not ready to be a starter.  But maybe after learning behind some vets and being in the right position, he would one day get to that level.

At this point, I do think he is close, but I'm not sure if there is much more growth left to get him to that next level.  That being said, I do believe he is better than some QBs who are starters right now (ie Trubisky).

On 8/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

21 mil for a back up is a lot, no doubt but the Colts are not worse because of it this year and, it did not prevent them from signing anyone they wanted to sign.  Nor will it impact any future signings.

it could affect the future though.  thats 20 million in cap space that could have been rolled over, thats pretty significant 

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But yet the Colts are expected to lead the NFL in cap space next year. 

NOW that is significant. 

I agree. If we do not re-sign JB after this season our cap space will be great. I am not sure what all the fuss is about his salary by some in here. This would be the one year you need a great back up because of Covid-19 among other things. 

5 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I watched Brissett since his time at NC State.  Good player. 

Being an NC State fan, I've seen Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon, Jacoby Brissett, and Ryan Finley over the last 20 years...all currently in the NFL.

When Brissett made it to the NFL, my thought was that he was not ready to be a starter.  But maybe after learning behind some vets and being in the right position, he would one day get to that level.

At this point, I do think he is close, but I'm not sure if there is much more growth left to get him to that next level.  That being said, I do believe he is better than some QBs who are starters right now (ie Trubisky).

Like I posted yesterday, he would start for the Washington (Hogs), that is my nickname for them. He is better than Haskins, and Smith with his leg injury is unknown at this point.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone just assumes Brissett will be gone but that is just disgruntled fans who think that.

We both know assuming anything in the NFL is setting yourself up to be wrong. (not that it matters) 

It’s not just disgruntled fans who think that. This title of this thread is that JB still believes he is a starter. So unless that is actually not what he believes....I think we should all be very surprised if he signed with the Colts to be a backup QB after this season...because he’s certainly not going to be re-signed as the starter. 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He also signed Rivers and drafted Eason instead of what the fans thought as well, so apparently he doesn't think Brissett is starter material. If you are going to use Ballard as a measuring stick to tell people on this forum that their opinions are inferior, then you have to respect his decisions as the "measuring stick". His decision was to sign a real starter in Rivers, and draft a QB of the future potentially in Eason. That's with Brissett having a $20 million dollar contract and he's paying him that to sit on the bench and only start if Rivers gets hurt.

Eason doesn't have to step up in year 1 btw, that's absolutely ridiculous. He's here to learn behind Rivers right now and take a step forward in year 2. Even if Ballard had your idea to re-sign Brissett, the title of this thread says "Brissett feels he's still starter material". That means he's going to try to be a starter elsewhere after the season and will want to get paid more than the backup money we would give him potentially after this year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I posted yesterday, he would start for the Washington (Hogs), that is my nickname for them. He is better than Haskins, and Smith with his leg injury is unknown at this point.

Haskins is only 23...so it remains to be seen whether JB is better. But last time we saw both players...they were trending in very different directions.

But anyways...WAS invested a high pick in Haskins...so they are going to see if he can be the guy. Starting JB would serve no purpose at this point. He wasn’t really any better than Keenum last year...and with Keenum...they won one game. 

At this point, I would think Brissett could start for the following teams:

Washington (over Haskins)
Jaguars (over Minshew - i think he is overrrated and will come crashing down this season)
Bears (over Trubisky)
Chargers (over Tyrod..... who in their right minds thinks Tyrod Taylor is a starting QB?)

I would also personally have him start over Josh Allen for the Bills.... but i doubt the Bills think that. I think Josh Allen is a bad QB. No idea where his "hype" comes from.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It’s not just disgruntled fans who think that. This title of this thread is that JB still believes he is a starter. So unless that is actually not what he believes....I think we should all be very surprised if he signed with the Colts to be a backup QB after this season...because he’s certainly not going to be re-signed as the starter. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He also signed Rivers and drafted Eason instead of what the fans thought as well, so apparently he doesn't think Brissett is starter material. If you are going to use Ballard as a measuring stick to tell people on this forum that their opinions are inferior, then you have to respect his decisions as the "measuring stick". His decision was to sign a real starter in Rivers, and draft a QB of the future potentially in Eason. That's with Brissett having a $20 million dollar contract and he's paying him that to sit on the bench and only start if Rivers gets hurt.

Eason doesn't have to step up in year 1 btw, that's absolutely ridiculous. He's here to learn behind Rivers right now and take a step forward in year 2. Even if Ballard had your idea to re-sign Brissett, the title of this thread says "Brissett feels he's still starter material". That means he's going to try to be a starter elsewhere after the season and will want to get paid more than the backup money we would give him potentially after this year.

I am glad you guys have your crystal balls all shined up. 

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Jaguars (over Minshew - i think he is overrrated and will come crashing down this season)
Bears (over Trubisky)
Chargers (over Tyrod..... who in their right minds thinks Tyrod Taylor is a starting QB?)

I would also personally have him start over Josh Allen for the Bills.... but i doubt the Bills think that. I think Josh Allen is a bad QB. No idea where his "hype" comes from.

I agree. I think Josh Allen and JB are about even but the rest you nailed it.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Bears (over Trubisky)

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Bears (over Trubisky)

Taylor has had a much better career than Brissett so far.  He's got a winning record, a better completion % and a better passer rating.  

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

But yet the Colts are expected to lead the NFL in cap space next year. 

NOW that is significant. 

could be 20 million more, enough to sign a top tier player.  

that cap space is going to disappear fast when we sign a qb and backup too.  

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

could be 20 million more, enough to sign a top tier player.  

that cap space is going to disappear fast when we sign a qb and backup too.  

We have Eason on his rookie contract, so either the starter or backup won't be an issue for several years.  

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Bears (over Trubisky)

WAS is committed to giving Haskins the job...JB would not start over him. 

Minshew was a better passer as a rookie than JB was in his 4th year in the league...and Minshew can run with the ball.

Trubisky sucks...which is why they got Foles...who JB is not going to start over...because Foles has proven he can play at a really high level...though not consistently.

Taylor’s time as a starting QB was actually better than JB’s...and he makes plays in the running game too. They are actually similar in how risk-averse they are...but Taylor’s floor due to his running ability make him the better choice. Regardless...Taylor is only starting until they deem Herbert is ready.

If JB had that ability to make big plays with his feet...like more than half of your list...it might be much easier to overlook or be more patient with his limitations as a passer. But that’s not really his game...which means he has a really low floor and not a very high ceiling.

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

it could affect the future though.  thats 20 million in cap space that could have been rolled over, thats pretty significant 

It is significant...it's more than 10% of this year's cap...which might even go down next year. There is no way that it doesn't have (or had) some type of impact. And if it was another player...it would be significant.

IF Autry had a $21M cap hit this year...people would have an issue with that cost...after his down season. And he would have been a favorite cut target if the Colts could get back a chunk of that cap hit.

IF Ballard had given Rhodes a one-year deal for $21M this offseason...people would have hated the signing.

IF the Colts went out and spent $15M of that $21M to bring in Clowney on a one-year deal...people would think it was too much money to spend on a player like Clowney (lol).

And just look at how different people perceive the JB deal vs the Foles deal. Even though they both ended up costing their teams the same amount of money for two seasons...the Foles deal is a disaster and the JB deal is a good one.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

WAS is committed to giving Haskins the job...JB would not start over him. 

Minshew was a better passer as a rookie than JB was in his 4th year in the league...and Minshew can run with the ball.

Trubisky sucks...which is why they got Foles...who JB is not going to start over...because Foles has proven he can play at a really high level...though not consistently.

Taylor’s time as a starting QB was actually better than JB’s...and he makes plays in the running game too. They are actually similar in how risk-averse they are...but Taylor’s floor due to his running ability make him the better choice. Regardless...Taylor is only starting until they deem Herbert is ready.

If JB had that ability to make big plays with his feet...like more than half of your list...it might be much easier to overlook or be more patient with his limitations as a passer. But that’s not really his game...which means he has a really low floor and not a very high ceiling.

"Well allow me to retort."

I never said WAS weren't committed to Haskins, I just said I would start JB over him, I could have been more clear though and in my mind we saw enough from Haskins to know that he is more than likely a bust at QB.

Minshew is gonna crash and burn.... @me later this season if I am wrong, but I'd bet I'm not...

Trubisky sucks... (we agree!) - Foles has never ever proven to be a constant starter.... he is great filler for a bit and that superbowl was very much an outlier..., but when given the reigns to a franchise he has sucked. (fact)

Taylor is arguable to be about the same as JB, i'll give you that.... I don't think you can say he is better though. JB took us to a 5-2 start last year before getting hurt and we could have had a better start too if not for some kicker woes.... I'm not saying JB is or should be our franchise QB, but let's be real he did play the 2nd half of the season limited by an injury.

Josh Allen is trash, mark my words @me again for that one later in the season too if I am wrong... I'll own up to it, but I bet I'm not.

We all know ourselves that JB isn't up to being our franchise QB, but he's better than those dudes.

44 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

"Well allow me to retort."

I never said WAS weren't committed to Haskins, I just said I would start JB over him, I could have been more clear though and in my mind we saw enough from Haskins to know that he is more than likely a bust at QB.

Minshew is gonna crash and burn.... @me later this season if I am wrong, but I'd bet I'm not...

Trubisky sucks... (we agree!) - Foles has never ever proven to be a constant starter.... he is great filler for a bit and that superbowl was very much an outlier..., but when given the reigns to a franchise he has sucked. (fact)

Taylor is arguable to be about the same as JB, i'll give you that.... I don't think you can say he is better though. JB took us to a 5-2 start last year before getting hurt and we could have had a better start too if not for some kicker woes.... I'm not saying JB is or should be our franchise QB, but let's be real he did play the 2nd half of the season limited by an injury.

Josh Allen is trash, mark my words @me again for that one later in the season too if I am wrong... I'll own up to it, but I bet I'm not.

We all know ourselves that JB isn't up to being our franchise QB, but he's better than those dudes.

I disagree.    All those QB's have higher potential at this time.   Taylor has had a much better career than Brissett.  
Josh Allen may not prove to be great, I agree.  But in 2 years with the Bills, he has a winning record and has much more potential than Brissett.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.    All those QB's have higher potential at this time.   Taylor has had a much better career than Brissett.  
Josh Allen may not prove to be great, I agree.  But in 2 years with the Bills, he has a winning record and has much more potential than Brissett.  

Tyrod led the Bills to the playoffs a few years ago. They lost to the Jags that year 10-3 in the wild card round. Ended their playoff drought.

24 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Tyrod led the Bills to the playoffs a few years ago. They lost to the Jags that year 10-3 in the wild card round. Ended their playoff drought.

I'm certainly not a Tyrod fan, but he has been better than Brissett.   Brissett may be able to compete with him for a starting job, but when someone says Brissett is better, that's where I disagree.   No way of knowing that.  We'll see where he ends up next season.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

We'll see... I am willing to bet every single one of those QB's i mentioned finishes this season with a losing record.

Josh Allen being the only possible exception because his division is now trash without Brady in it. (Even if Cam is good, the rest of that NE offense around him is poor).

Tyrod, Haskins, Minshew and Trubisky/Foles will all have losing records.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, Chucklez said:

We'll see... I am willing to bet every single one of those QB's i mentioned finishes this season with a losing record.

Josh Allen being the only possible exception because his division is now trash without Brady in it. (Even if Cam is good, the rest of that NE offense around him is poor).

Tyrod, Haskins, Minshew and Trubisky/Foles will all have losing records.

Disagree.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Patriots win 11 games.  Prediction. They r going to go power football with Cam. They always reinvent themselves.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, Myles said:

Thr Bills win because of their D.  I would actually say that  Allen is holding back the team.  He has no touch and is inaccurate.  Hmmmm. Wasnt that the knock on him coming out of college?  If u dont have touch and accuracy coming out of college, yet to see a qb all of a sudden obtain those qualities in the NFL.  I think Brissett is more accurate than Allan. Brissetts most glaring weakness is that he lacks anticipation. Ala the inability or hesitation to just ram the ball into tight windows or players coming out of their breaks. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, Myles said:

I'm certainly not a Tyrod fan, but he has been better than Brissett.   Brissett may be able to compete with him for a starting job, but when someone says Brissett is better, that's where I disagree.   No way of knowing that.  We'll see where he ends up next season.  

Neither is worth arguing about. No matter which one u have, u r not  going to far as an organization. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, Myles said:

Its like arguing over Trubisky and Foles. Who cares. U got 2 back ups vying for a starting position.

Archived