Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich has very high remarks on Chad Kelly

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I for one will not be surprised if JB is not on the team when the season starts.  Training camp and preseason will sort the backup position out and If Kelly proves he is the best qualified to be the backup QB then I think he will be on the team.  If that means Ballard must cut JB and take a dead cap hit I think he would do it.  I'm sure he would try to trade him first but that would be pretty hard to do given his contract.  So JB not being on the team wouldn't surprise me but a lot has to take place for it to actually happen.  JB is the current front runner but he is by no means a lock for the backup spot IMO. 

His contract  isn’t that bad anymore since we already paid his bonus.  It’s not that bad for a backup if someone wants to take for him. There is such a saturation in QB that will be the hard part about trading him. 

I do agree if Kelly and Eason look really good in camp and Jacoby hasn’t shown much improvement he could be gone. The biggest thing is there enough snaps in TC to evaluate Eason and Kelly. We should get a good look at them though if we still have four preseason games. If they look better then Jacoby in the preseason Jacoby could be gone.  Especially if they think they have their starter and backup of the future in Eason and Kelly. Kelly would survive on the PS though most likely if Jacoby does stay.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking if CK not playing a snap at the end of last year. It seems, Ballard is willing to go out of his way to test him. Which is needed. The quickest way to prove him worthy of the NFL is to test him. And what better way to test him than hold him out when he knows hes got a chance to show some skills. Or maybe send him to the PS when he thinks hes proven otherwise. 

Ballard is a smart man, and until Kelly is gone (or another QB is proven), I will always think hes a wild card potential starter. 

Why would Reich praise Kelly so effusively if he might want to stash him away on the practice squad?  Wouldn’t this seem more likely to lead to losing him, especially if we cannot pay extra money to our favorite PS players? 

Perhaps he’s not worried about losing him, but last year he specifically stated that he wanted to keep him on active roster after promoting him from PS to avoid that risk. 

Reading between the tea leaves, I think the Colts no longer see a future with Kelly.  His current purpose is to serve as “competition” for Eason to bring out the best in that kid. 

51 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Why would Reich praise Kelly so effusively if he might want to stash him away on the practice squad?  Wouldn’t this seem more likely to lead to losing him, especially if we cannot pay extra money to our favorite PS players? 

Perhaps he’s not worried about losing him, but last year he specifically stated that he wanted to keep him on active roster after promoting him from PS to avoid that risk. 

Reading between the tea leaves, I think the Colts no longer see a future with Kelly.  His current purpose is to serve as “competition” for Eason to bring out the best in that kid. 

Question:   Who says we can’t pay our favorite PS players more than the basic price?    We did last year.    Kelly made roughly $500k, the highest of any player in the NFL.   Did that change?   Is that no longer allowable?   Thanks...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question:   Who says we can’t pay our favorite PS players more than the basic price?    We did last year.    Kelly made roughly $500k, the highest of any player in the NFL.   Did that change?   Is that no longer allowable?   Thanks...

Yes the new CBA changed that. Except for a couple veterans you can keep on the PS and pay more. Basically Kelly would be getting a 150k pay cut.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

His contract  isn’t that bad anymore since we already paid his bonus.  It’s not that bad for a backup if someone wants to take for him. There is such a saturation in QB that will be the hard part about trading him. 

I do agree if Kelly and Eason look really good in camp and Jacoby hasn’t shown much improvement he could be gone. The biggest thing is there enough snaps in TC to evaluate Eason and Kelly. We should get a good look at them though if we still have four preseason games. If they look better then Jacoby in the preseason Jacoby could be gone.  Especially if they think they have their starter and backup of the future in Eason and Kelly. Kelly would survive on the PS though most likely if Jacoby does stay.

I'm not so sure he would survive on the PS.  Last year we paid him a significant salary to keep teams away.  This year we won't be able to.  If he has a good camp and preseason I could see him landing as a backup somewhere even with Cam out there.  I would bet a number of teams would be interested especially at what his contract would look like.  Maybe even the Patriots.  I believe at the end of this year if he was on our roster he would be a restricted FA not unrestricted.  That would give us a little more control and might be an additional factor on keeping him on the roster this year.   

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's an interesting question. Per Spotrac:

"Chad Kelly signed a 2 year, $1,230,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including an average annual salary of $615,000. In 2020, Kelly will earn a base salary of $750,000, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000."

However, per John Dixon:

"the new CBA eliminates unlimited practice-squad salaries. All practice-squad players are paid a fixed weekly salary established under the CBA — except for Group 4 players, for whom the CBA establishes a minimum and maximum salary. In 2020, both are $12,000 for Group 4; all other practice-squad players will be paid $8,400 per week. In 2022, the Group 4 salaries must be between $15,400 and $19,900, while all others will be paid $11,500."

So I wonder what happens with the 2nd year of Chad's contract (and several other PS players across the league). :scratch:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not so sure he would survive on the PS.  Last year we paid him a significant salary to keep teams away.  This year we won't be able to.  If he has a good camp and preseason I could see him landing as a backup somewhere even with Cam out there.  I would bet a number of teams would be interested especially at what his contract would look like.  Maybe even the Patriots.  I believe at the end of this year if he was on our roster he would be a restricted FA not unrestricted.  That would give us a little more control and might be an additional factor on keeping him on the roster this year.   

Winston only got one million and had to be a backup. Newton is still out there and talking about taking a backup role. There are to many QB on the market right now. Nobody will be falling over themselves to sign Kelly. Eason is a different story since he is a rookie and doesn’t have a troubling past.

19 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

"Chad Kelly signed a 2 year, $1,230,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including an average annual salary of $615,000. In 2020, Kelly will earn a base salary of $750,000, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000."

However, per John Dixon:

"the new CBA eliminates unlimited practice-squad salaries. All practice-squad players are paid a fixed weekly salary established under the CBA — except for Group 4 players, for whom the CBA establishes a minimum and maximum salary. In 2020, both are $12,000 for Group 4; all other practice-squad players will be paid $8,400 per week. In 2022, the Group 4 salaries must be between $15,400 and $19,900, while all others will be paid $11,500."

So I wonder what happens with the 2nd year of Chad's contract (and several other PS players across the league). :scratch:

I might be wrong that contract he signed was when he was called up to the 53 and stayed there. If he is cut then that contact is void and he would have to decide if he wants to sign a PS contract.

52 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

However, per John Dixon:

There are no PS contracts during the off-season     
       The players who were on a 53 man roster at the end of the season are working on that contract and those that weren’t signed a futures contract

The Colts are going to have to part with talent at the QB position regardless of the decisions they make. As things stand now would give light odds the odd man out is Kelly. Things can and do often change. Jacoby might have trade value (I personally hope that isn't explored) and health is always a factor. We will have a deep amount of experience, skill, and future potential @quarterback - what a fortunate position to be in. Go Colts!

On 5/23/2020 at 1:38 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah...   I just saw Chloe’s next post.   Eason would have to be a huge bust to get cut.   That’s highly unlikely.  

I dont agree. Let's say so those rumours r right bout Eason's work ethic. I believe they could cut him before the season if he showed the rumours were true and he did nothing to correct them.

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont agree. Let's say so those rumours r right bout Eason's work ethic. I believe they could cut him before the season if he showed the rumours were true and he did nothing to correct them.

Yes...  That’s how it would work if those rumors turn out to be true.    If.   A great big IF. 

I’m betting they don’t.   And I’m not a betting man which means I believe the odds of Eason behaving and putting forth maximum effort are very high.   Your mileage may vary. 

Since the draft I always thought chad Kelly was the 2nd best on our roster, but didn’t say anything bc supporting him is Taboo on here. He’s got a high ceiling and I believe he has the potential to be the most accurate QB in the NFL. Seems like he’s matured and I’d like to see him get a legit shot with us instead of someone else. Only way I see him making the team is if we cut or trade brissett. Also, it would make a good story going from #1 pick Manning to #1 pick Luck to Mr irrelevant Chad Kelly. 

Really starting to dislike Reich. To me, he's nothing but a Pagano clone that can talk to the media better. Not fooling me. He can nonsense that he likes Kelly all day, but he didn't even start him over an injured, struggling Brissett that the league figured out. Actions speak louder than words.

He's the same guy who wouldn't bench Venitari and couldn't figure out how to use Hines effectively. I don't believe Kelly will ever have a chance to start because of Reich, and I don't even believe Eason would. God forbid Rivers gets a major injury early in the season or completely falls off the map. Does Reich start Brissett again and tank the season?

This team is going to have to play well in spite of our coach (just like Pagano). I don't trust him to start Kelly or Eason if Rivers goes down. I don't trust him to use the offense effectively honestly. Finally, I don't trust him to give the right players enough playing time. These guys are all character, team-first guys. Start the ones who deserve it and quit discriminating because of loyalty and age.

Liked Reich in the beginning, now he's just a nonsense artist version of Pagano. He is the main reason we went 7-9 last year. Not Brissett, not Adam. It all trickles up to the coach with misguided loyalty and stubbornness. Feel bad for Kelly who is wasting his time here and will never get a shot. Just be honest with the kid and quit lying to the media.

Despite Reich, I still feel confident in this team because of Chris Ballard. He is basically making it impossible for us to fail.

Actions speak louder than words. Rant over.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Really starting to dislike Reich. To me, he's nothing but a Pagano clone that can talk to the media better. Not fooling me. He can nonsense that he likes Kelly all day, but he didn't even start him over an injured, struggling Brissett that the league figured out. Actions speak louder than words.

He's the same guy who wouldn't bench Venitari and couldn't figure out how to use Hines effectively. I don't believe Kelly will ever have a chance to start because of Reich, and I don't even believe Eason would. God forbid Rivers gets a major injury early in the season or completely falls off the map. Does Reich start Brissett again and tank the season?

This team is going to have to play well in spite of our coach (just like Pagano). I don't trust him to start Kelly or Eason if Rivers goes down. I don't trust him to use the offense effectively honestly. Finally, I don't trust him to give the right players enough playing time. These guys are all character, team-first guys. Start the ones who deserve it and quit discriminating because of loyalty and age.

Liked Reich in the beginning, now he's just a nonsense artist version of Pagano. He is the main reason we went 7-9 last year. Not Brissett, not Adam. It all trickles up to the coach with misguided loyalty and stubbornness. Feel bad for Kelly who is wasting his time here and will never get a shot. Just be honest with the kid and quit lying to the media.

Despite Reich, I still feel confident in this team because of Chris Ballard. He is basically making it impossible for us to fail.

Actions speak louder than words. Rant over.

Just maybe Frank knows something you don't?

You are ranting over something you are not 100% sure of. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Frank knows something you don't?

You are ranting over something you are not 100% sure of. 

I'm sure we went 7-9 last year, and gained no information if Kelly can play in the NFL in the process. It was a boring and wasted season. I realize we have Rivers and the team is improved, but if he goes down, it's de ja vu like last year. I don't trust Reich as a coach, and I'm starting to dislike him as a person. At least I liked Pagano as a person.

You were right, it could always be worse, and Reich may turn out to be worse.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure we went 7-9 last year, and gained no information if Kelly can play in the NFL in the process. It was a boring and wasted season. I realize we have Rivers and the team is improved, but if he goes down, it's de ja vu like last year. I don't trust Reich as a coach, and I'm starting to dislike him as a person. At least I liked Pagano as a person.

You were right, it could always be worse, and Reich may turn out to be worse.

You don't know if Kelly is ready or not. 

Kelly is the third or fourth string QB. That is all we do know, nothing else. 

Please tell me you are not disliking Frank over you not having the knowledge you think you should have? 

Personally it don't bother me for the Colts to keep things in house. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't know if Kelly is ready or not. 

Kelly is the third or fourth string QB. That is all we do know, nothing else. 

Please tell me you are not disliking Frank over you not having the knowledge you think you should have? 

Personally it don't bother me for the Colts to keep things in house. 

You're right, I don't know if Kelly is ready or not. To be fair, neither does Reich unless Kelly played in a regular season game I'm unaware of. It was irresponsible to the entire team and fanbase to play Brissett the entire season when he was injured, struggling, and the league clearly figured him out. Irresponsible and stubborn. Served no purpose. You gain no knowledge on Kelly, Brissett loses his confidence, and you make everyone associated with the Colts upset.

What's the worst that happens? Kelly stinks the joint up? At least you have a sample size of him in the regular season. Now we have Kelly as the 4th QB with literally no sample size of playing time in a wasted season last year. Reich has no more idea than you or I about Kelly besides a few practices because of his wrongdoing. I feel bad for Kelly at this point and am disliking Reich. He's a Pagano clone at best, and a snake oil salesman (which is basically what a preacher is) at worst.

You're right, I don't know if Kelly is ready or not. To be fair, neither does Reich unless Kelly played in a regular season game I'm unaware of. It was irresponsible to the entire team and fanbase to play Brissett the entire season when he was injured, struggling, and the league clearly figured him out. Irresponsible and stubborn. Served no purpose. You gain no knowledge on Kelly, Brissett loses his confidence, and you make everyone associated with the Colts upset.

What's the worst that happens? Kelly stinks the joint up? At least you have a sample size of him in the regular season. Now we have Kelly as the 4th QB with literally no sample size of playing time in a wasted season last year. Reich has no more idea than you or I about Kelly besides a few practices because of his wrongdoing. I feel bad for Kelly at this point and am disliking Reich. He's a Pagano clone at best, and a snake oil salesman (which is basically what a preacher is) at worst.

Ask yourself this.

Do you know if Kelly is completely over his alcohol abuse? 

I am not saying that is the problem but sometimes it takes longer for some than others. Maybe that was why Frank built Kelly up in his interview with Rich Eisen after Eisen put him on the spot?  Eisen put Frank on the spot by asking him about his friendship with Jim Kelly and it then lead to asking about Chad. 

Do I think that? I don't know but things like this is kept quite and in house. 

Look Jared, Let's let this all play out before drawing conclusion.

I think we have some pretty good things to be optimistic about. I think you will too after thinking about it.  

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ask yourself this.

Do you know if Kelly is completely over his alcohol abuse? 

I am not saying that is the problem but sometimes it takes longer for some than others. Maybe that was why Frank built Kelly up in his interview with Rich Eisen after Eisen put him on the spot?  Eisen put Frank on the spot by asking him about his friendship with Jim Kelly and it then lead to asking about Chad. 

Do I think that? I don't know but things like this is kept quite and in house. 

Look Jared, Let's let this all play out before drawing conclusion.

I think we have some pretty good things to be optimistic about. I think you will too after thinking about it.  

I think this team is like 2018, except we have Rivers instead of Luck. Better team too. Love getting Buckner, liked the draft a lot. I think we win the division with a shot at the SB if things go right. Lets hope for the best!

I think this team is like 2018, except we have Rivers instead of Luck. Better team too. Love getting Buckner, liked the draft a lot. I think we win the division with a shot at the SB if things go right. Lets hope for the best!

That's right. 

We are a still a pretty young team so most of our guys will be better than last season. All of us have to be excited to have Buckner on this roster. He should make all of our D backs have better grades. The addition of Taylor makes us very dangerous on the ground as well. 

Stay positive my friend. 

7 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I find it very unlikely a team signs Kelly off our practice squad. If we want to run 3 QBs and keep Kelly on the PS we probably can.

Perhaps. But Reich’s comments were widely publicized. He called him a 10 out of 10 on and off the field. Reich is very smart and I believe he carefully considers his words. If we want to stash Kelly on PS, I cannot fathom why Reich would say these things. 

He's done well with his chance. I know for sure I didn't expect him to last this long with no off-field issues when we signed him. Good for him, he should be proud of himself whether he makes the team or not. So many players waste their second chance or even... never get a second chance. I hope he keeps this up and makes it in the league. 

35 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Perhaps. But Reich’s comments were widely publicized. He called him a 10 out of 10 on and off the field. Reich is very smart and I believe he carefully considers his words. If we want to stash Kelly on PS, I cannot fathom why Reich would say these things. 

Coach speaks that way about all of his players. 

Even when players don't work out he is not going to talk negative about them. 

2 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

If Reich would have given Kelly even so much as 1 set of downs in Week 16 or 17 last season.... and Ballard not selected Eason in the draft.... I might agree with you.

But Reich didn’t and Ballard did.... so I don’t.

We can whip up all the sentiment we want here on the Forum for Kelly.... but Reich and Ballard’s actions speak a tad bit louder than our words.... or their own.

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Wait... so when the team does well in 2018, it's because of Luck, not Reich.  But when the team doesn't do as well in 2019, it's not because of Brissett or Vinny, it's because of Reich...

So players get credit for success, but coaches get blame for failure?  What?!?  I think you have an unfounded bias going on...  do you give Reich any credit at all for his system allowing Luck to go 239 pass attempts over 5 games without a sack in 2018?  Or do you only give credit to Nelson?

You do realize Reich is only doing what every other coach does.  It isn't "lying to the media", it's coach-speak, and there isn't a single coach in the NFL that doesn't practice it.  Actions do speak louder than words, and Ballard/Reich will retain/start the players that have EARNED it.  On AND off the field.

Reich said some favorable comments on JB prior to the start of the 2019 season and look how that ended up.  He's saying the same thing about CK, but my feeling is that they'll compete for that 3rd QB in preseason, upon observing JB,CK and Eason then they'll determine who they'll keep as their 3rd QB.  If Eason out performs JB and CK with that cannon arm, you'll see JB being history...

31 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Wait... so when the team does well in 2018, it's because of Luck, not Reich.  But when the team doesn't do as well in 2019, it's not because of Brissett or Vinny, it's because of Reich...

So players get credit for success, but coaches get blame for failure?  What?!?  I think you have an unfounded bias going on...  do you give Reich any credit at all for his system allowing Luck to go 239 pass attempts over 5 games without a sack in 2018?  Or do you only give credit to Nelson?

You do realize Reich is only doing what every other coach does.  It isn't "lying to the media", it's coach-speak, and there isn't a single coach in the NFL that doesn't practice it.  Actions do speak louder than words, and Ballard/Reich will retain/start the players that have EARNED it.  On AND off the field.

Just like 2012-2014 when Pagano was here and Luck played. Luck was the main reason we were winning. Yes.

I don't know 100% if Brissett's struggles were due to injury or the league figuring him out, but Reich knew and kept him in, which was inexcusable with Kelly on the team. It hurt Brissett, the team, and the fanbase. As far as Adam goes, Reich kept him in as well after falling apart, he was done last season. They then advertise fake kicking competitions so they can say Adam is still the starter. Reich's fault.

I give Ballard the credit for the O-Line in 2018. He drafted Nelson and Braden, and signed Glowinski. The only thing Reich deserves credit for is possibly teaching Luck to get rid of the ball faster. This was Luck's team though and he carried it despite Reich.

Brissett certainly didn't earn the starting job in the 2nd half, and Reich tanked the season to prove a point to Kelly, and now we didn't even gain any info on him. He's still just as much of an unknown as Eason.

The only person to blame for last years failures is Reich. Brissett and Adam were bad, but they didn't keep themselves in. 

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just like 2012-2014 when Pagano was here and Luck played. Luck was the main reason we were winning. Yes.

I don't know 100% if Brissett's struggles were due to injury or the league figuring him out, but Reich knew and kept him in, which was inexcusable with Kelly on the team. It hurt Brissett, the team, and the fanbase. As far as Adam goes, Reich kept him in as well after falling apart, he was done last season. They then advertise fake kicking competitions so they can say Adam is still the starter. Reich's fault.

I give Ballard the credit for the O-Line in 2018. He drafted Nelson and Braden, and signed Glowinski. The only thing Reich deserves credit for is possibly teaching Luck to get rid of the ball faster. This was Luck's team though and he carried it despite Reich.

Brissett certainly didn't earn the starting job in the 2nd half, and Reich tanked the season to prove a point to Kelly, and now we didn't even gain any info on him. He's still just as much of an unknown as Eason.

The only person to blame for last years failures is Reich. Brissett and Adam were bad, but they didn't keep themselves in. 

Why do you assume that Kelly was even close to being ready?

Brissett didn't earn the starting job? Well you think Hoyer was the answer? You have no clue if Kelly was ready so it's all Franks fault? 

I will say this, we all know credit usually goes the QB direction. Good or Bad.

But as suggested in a post above, they dont think Frank is a good person? I mean really? Everything I've ever seen, heard about Frank Reich, suggest he is a top notch person.

If you want to say something about his coaching fine, but lets remember Philly took a big step backwards when he left, and that was while getting their Franchise QB back after he left.?

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why do you assume that Kelly was even close to being ready?

Brissett didn't earn the starting job? Well you think Hoyer was the answer? You have no clue if Kelly was ready so it's all Franks fault? 

It doesn't matter if Kelly was ready. Brissett was injured and looked horrible out there. Hoyer showed he wasn't the answer. We weren't making the playoffs. You start Kelly and see what you have in him. Brissett looked embarrassing and it accomplished nothing except ruining his confidence and losing games. Kelly losing games at least accomplishes something and you learn what he can do.

Also, what kind of message does that send to the locker room? Brissett can play like garbage, and keep his starting job all year. If you're a backup, why would you even care knowing Reich will stubbornly play his veterans? Kelly should of started a couple games, to show Brissett that his job isn't safe with poor play, and to get a sample size on Kelly.

Now we have two QBs that have never played a game in Kelly and Eason.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are aware Reich sees Kelly at practice everyday.   He certainly has more of an idea of what Kelly is capable of.  Good lord

Archived