Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich has very high remarks on Chad Kelly

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I want Kelly over JB as QB 3. 

That may end up that way, but I just want the best players..... in order of quality

I won’t lose sleep if we cut Kelly outright.... (but let them all compete)

Kelly did well in preseason.... If he has another great preseason, he will be retained via PS bottom of active roster, or traded

My bet is PS

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gosh listening to him talk about chad Kelly on the Rich  Eisen show makes me think Eason isn’t a slam dunk for the third QB. Unless they trade Jacoby.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I always look at actions more then words. What tells me they may be higher on Kelly then what we think is they paid him a ton of money so he wouldn’t be poached of the PS. So they really do think a lot about him. While it’s true they wouldn’t of drafted Eason If they really thought Kelly could be the future there is always that chance he beats Eason out. From what I have seen on IG Kelly does seem to have bonded with some of the players. Eason has a lot of work to do to get ahead of Kelly in that aspect.

Let me see if I follow you here:

A couple weeks ago you made a thread just to, and I’m paraphrasing, fire up the Kelly fan club. You posted several times before making fun of the Kelly fans.

During the season JB was the best thing since sliced bread. Pre-draft you didn’t want any QB besides the top 2-3. It was a waste of a pick for any QB after round 1. After the draft Eason was the best thing since sliced bread and now, Eason may be cut for Kelly. 

Am I missing anything else?

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

A couple weeks ago you made a thread just to, and I’m paraphrasing, fire up the Kelly fan club. You posted several times before making fun of the Kelly fans.

During the season JB was the best thing since sliced bread. Pre-draft you didn’t want any QB besides the top 2-3. It was a waste of a pick for any QB after round 1. After the draft Eason was the best thing since sliced bread and now, Eason may be cut for Kelly. 

I think that Kelly is such an unknown to most of the fan base that it’s hard to have a consistent view of him. For me, I’ve really liked what little we’ve seen of him, his accomplishments in his short college time is enough to keep you intrigued, him staying out of trouble all this time since signing is a very positive sign (btw, Ryan Leaf is back in the headlines again for domestic abuse) and I still just have a tough time believing that the colts are going to keep JB on the roster and keep a total cap for the QB spot at such a high number. I could absolutely see the team having some feeling that Kelly could develop as a starter and now have a better insurance option if he doesn’t, they now have a second young arm with talent who could also compete to develop as a starter. It is absolutely quite possible to see JB cut/traded after the final cutdown date, that Kelly is slotted in as #2 and Eason as #3 and it’s also very possible that Kelly is cut and JB somehow stays on. Everyone, including me is guessing right now. Until they show what they’ve learned in the offseason and how they produce once they can organize practice, everyone is a Colt. 

With the virus it is very possible that Kelly would end up at 2 if they cut or traded Jacoby. He has been in the system a year and he has been around and created a bond with the players. Then when rivers is gone Eason and Kelly battle it out for the starting job.

Yes we make fun of Kelly fans but even with that there is always a possibility of him beating out Eason or becoming the future starter. Like the post above it’s all very fluid and anything can happen. Reich mentioned how hard Kelly has worked. We had so many injuries towards the end of the season and they still wouldn’t cut Kelly to make room for other players. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Rich's joke about when Frank was ordained (at half time against the Oilers)- solid stuff. 

That was a lot of fluff for Chad. I'd be fine with him beating out JB for the two job as long as it's the legit correct move. I dunno as preseason is what we've seen of Chad and that's not enough. JB is a legit 2.

I’d agree here with this. Nothing during camp should be given. If JB comes in and plays lights out and CK and JE play mediocre, JB should be retained, CK cut and try to PS him and develop Eason as best you can. If CK,JE and JB are all on par in preseason, you move on from JB and don’t look back. I still say JB and his salary is best placed in anyone else that is part of the teams future and JB isn’t in the future here. 

47 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

nope

I have long been of the opinion that a rookie/Kelly battle for backup (with the loser taking the QB3 position) was the most ideal path forward. Gives the Colts a chance to practice their “competition” mindset...but in more of a low-stakes setting...while driving both players. And it gives both players the opportunity to soak up what they can from Rivers. Plus, I just think those two round out the most talented QBs on the roster.

I was a big proponent of signing Rivers (or any vet upgrade)....but the fact is that he is only signed for one year and we just don’t know how this year will play out. So the Colts need to push the younger guys where they can.

The savings (and any potential draft capital) from a JB move is just the cherry on top.

I sort of compare it to what DEN did. They signed Keenum to a two-year deal. He was bad that first year...so they traded for Flacco to get a vet upgrade...and then traded Keenum...and then drafted Lock. They could have kept Keenum as the “proven backup”...but opted to enter the season with Flacco and Lock as the two QBs. Flacco was a bust...so Lock got some great game experience and is set to take over this season on a revamped offense.

Rivers > Flacco...so I don’t think he busts. And I don’t know if Eason/Kelly is as good as Lock...but it would be ideal if the Colts have them there ready to go to find out.

With the virus it is very possible that Kelly would end up at 2 if they cut or traded Jacoby. He has been in the system a year and he has been around and created a bond with the players. Then when rivers is gone Eason and Kelly battle it out for the starting job.

Yes we make fun of Kelly fans but even with that there is always a possibility of him beating out Eason or becoming the future starter. Like the post above it’s all very fluid and anything can happen. Reich mentioned how hard Kelly has worked. We had so many injuries towards the end of the season and they still wouldn’t cut Kelly to make room for other players. 

Well.... at the risk of bursting into flames by saying something negative on the Forum about Chad Kelly.... let’s also remember that in weeks 16 & 17 when we knew we were doomed from any playoff hopes and Brissett was hobbled with the knee... Chad Kelly didn’t get so much as one sniff of playing time.

That.... and selecting Eason in the draft tells me more about Chad Kelly’s shelf life with the Colts than Reich’s platitudes in an off season interview.

people forget that chad was actually more impressive than jacoby or jacob in college, he does have some talent like him or not

i like eason too, he was someone i was hoping for in the draft after we traded out of the first.  i do think he has more upside than kelley and brisset but hes not there yet.

19 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Well.... at the risk of bursting into flames by saying something negative on the Forum about Chad Kelly.... let’s also remember that in weeks 16 & 17 when we knew we were doomed from any playoff hopes and Brissett was hobbled with the knee... Chad Kelly didn’t get so much as one sniff of playing time.

That.... and selecting Eason in the draft tells me more about Chad Kelly’s shelf life with the Colts than Reich’s platitudes in an off season interview.

This is very true also. Kelly should of got a chance once we were eliminated from playoff contention.  So your right if they thought he could turn into something he should of been given a look. The fact they didn’t says a lot. If we have a playoff spot wrapped up this year  I would like to see Eason and Kelly get a chance in a regular game not Jacoby. We need to start seeing if these young guys can play. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see how the virus impacts thus issue?   Everything you wrote about would be the same if there was no virus. 

59 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is very true also. Kelly should of got a chance once we were eliminated from playoff contention.  So your right if they thought he could turn into something he should of been given a look. The fact they didn’t says a lot. If we have a playoff spot wrapped up this year  I would like to see Eason and Kelly get a chance in a regular game not Jacoby. We need to start seeing if these young guys can play. 

We need to keep in mind that coaches and GM's, for that matter, are evaluated on performance; wins and losses.  Even after elimination they are trying to win and will play the players who will give them that best chance.  They thought JB was that guy.  He was their QB1 and ready to play so he played.  They are trying to win every game.  The players on the team are playing for this year not next year.  There would be plenty of time to evaluate players for next year.  Some have already left the team and new players brought on board.  Kelly is still here for a reason.  It will sort itself out in due time.  The only QB who is really safe is Rivers.  Most likely Eason as well but to make the active roster you still need to perform in camp and in preseason.  So we shall see. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see how the virus impacts thus issue?   Everything you wrote about would be the same if there was no virus. 

You don’t think with no OTA and Eason not able to be here to bond with his teammates puts him behind Kelly in that regard. Kelly has been in the system a year and bonded with the players. Has been able to show what he is about. Reich will have very little time to get a look at Eason before the season starts. In a normal year I wouldn’t think like this but Kelly is ahead as far as the playbook and bonding with team mates and establishing himself in the locker room.

We were not going to play Kelly last year.   Period.    The fact we didn’t play him last year when there were opportunities proves that.  

Last year for Kelly was about proving he could stay out of trouble,  be a good teammate and make good decisions.  
We proved our interest by making Kelly the highest paid PS player in the NFL, but don’t kid yourself, it wasn’t a lot of money to the Colts.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We need to keep in mind that coaches and GM's, for that matter, are evaluated on performance; wins and losses.  Even after elimination they are trying to win and will play the players who will give them that best chance.  They thought JB was that guy.  He was their QB1 and ready to play so he played.  They are trying to win every game.  The players on the team are playing for this year not next year.  There would be plenty of time to evaluate players for next year.  Some have already left the team and new players brought on board.  Kelly is still here for a reason.  It will sort itself out in due time.  The only QB who is really safe is Rivers.  Most likely Eason as well but to make the active roster you still need to perform in camp and in preseason.  So we shall see. 

I think if Eason and Kelly outshine Jacoby there will be a good chance Jacoby is gone. But that is such a slim chance with so many QB on the roster. How will there be enough snaps in practice to really a fair look at Eason and Kelly. Eason is going to have to really show a lot because they already know what they have in Kelly.

I tend to think Kelly didn’t play as part of a test From CB and FR, of his will and his composure. He passed that as we haven’t heard a peep of how upset or how he deserved anything, I give him credit for that. Now saying that, it’s likely just as possible they see no shot as a future player for the team. The only part that keeps me confused on him is that the team paid good money for him to stay on the PS last season, brought him to the 53 and then when they could have cut him as just another guy, they kept him even though they needed other spots because of injuries. Now why did they hold onto him? It just makes zero sense imho. It felt like the team had a vision and a purpose I still say the team is in a unique position to have 2 young guns fight it out for a starter role over the next two years while Rivers plays and role models for them. Maybe even teach them a thing or two. 

idk what the team will do but hopefully we get to see some great competition this year and we find a ten year starter between one of them. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t think with no OTA and Eason not able to be here to bond with his teammates puts him behind Kelly in that regard. Kelly has been in the system a year and bonded with the players. Has been able to show what he is about. Reich will have very little time to get a look at Eason before the season starts. In a normal year I wouldn’t think like this but Kelly is ahead as far as the playbook and bonding with team mates and establishing himself in the locker room.

Chloe...   are you even aware that you change your mind practically on the hour?   Or don’t you truer you starting a thread that Eason was ahead of schedule?

Kelly may or may not be ahead of Eason — today.  And it means almost nothing — today.   Camp opens in late July.  The season starts in September.  In the roughly 5 weeks before the season starts, if Eason is who we think he is, then he’ll pass Kelly.   If not Kelly may hold on, and that’s assuming he’s ahead.  

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chloe...   are you even aware that you change your mind practically on the hour?   Or don’t you truer you starting a thread that Eason was ahead of schedule?

Kelly may or may not be ahead of Eason — today.  And it means almost nothing — today.   Camp opens in late July.  The season starts in September.  In the roughly 5 weeks before the season starts, if Eason is who we think he is, then he’ll pass Kelly.   If not Kelly may hold on, and that’s assuming he’s ahead.  

I never said he was ahead of Kelly. All that thread was about is what Sirriani said. 

Do I think Eason should lose number 3 to Kelly? Heck no. But with this shortened off season they may opt to keep players who are already familiar with the team and playbook. This isn’t what I want to happen. It’s just something that could happen.

4 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

yep that is chole for ya just runs with whatever the popular opinion is at the time lmao

Honestly, if JB is a lock for back up, I'm definitely taking Eason as 3 and stashing Kelly on the PS. I'm not really worried about him getting picked up with the QB market the way it is. No one is tripping over each other for the likes of Kelly. If Kelly remains on the team, it will be the PS for the next 2 years. 

Kelly really has to just be patient until Rivers retires. 

His past might have ruined his shot at ever being a starter in this league. 

Karma's a +. 

32 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Honestly, if JB is a lock for back up, I'm definitely taking Eason as 3 and stashing Kelly on the PS. I'm not really worried about him getting picked up with the QB market the way it is. No one is tripping over each other for the likes of Kelly. If Kelly remains on the team, it will be the PS for the next 2 years. 

Karma's a +. 

There is a very good chance that even when when PR retires he still be a deep backup

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Chuckle. Brissett has no future here because he isn't very good, that is why they signed old man Rivers and drafted Eason. So that makes the coach speak clearly the pumping up of Brissett.
 Minus the 10-10 character issues so many here WANT Kelly to have, Kelly can become our starter.

We WANT him to have????? Have you seen his rap sheet ??? It's real.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

people forget that chad was actually more impressive than jacoby or jacob in college, he does have some talent like him or not

i like eason too, he was someone i was hoping for in the draft after we traded out of the first.  i do think he has more upside than kelley and brisset but hes not there yet.

How you looked in college means nothing once your in the NFL.

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Karma's a +. 

The fact any team could have picked him up half of last year and he didn’t get a sniff tells me NFL teams are not in love with Chad Kelly like some fans are here.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fact any team could have picked him up half of last year and he didn’t get a sniff tells me NFL teams are not in love with Chad Kelly like some fans are here.

I understand in the wake of not having a legitimate franchise QB the want to see what hes got. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

How you looked in college means nothing once your in the NFL.

it does matter when comparing him to a rookie that hasnt even been to a practice yet.  jacoby's time as a starter wasnt really good either, he looked like he did in college 

i know a lot of people want chad to fail though so he wont be here any more.  he got so much attention last year because we needed a QB its not hat we are kelly fan boys yet

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I understand in the wake of not having a legitimate franchise QB the want to see what hes got. 

I understand that but the fact the Colts didn’t give him a shot in two meaningless games last year when Jacoby was playing on a bad leg and the fact no other team appears to want him makes me wonder if he’s worth a shot?  Clearly that seems to be the stance of the NFL.  Just because you don’t have something doesn’t mean you waste time on someone if you already feel they aren’t the answer.  

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

it does matter when comparing him to a rookie that hasnt even been to a practice yet.  jacoby's time as a starter wasnt really good either, he looked like he did in college 

i know a lot of people want chad to fail though so he wont be here any more.  he got so much attention last year because we needed a QB its not hat we are kelly fan boys yet

Jacoby and Kelly are not rookies.  

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

I think you are misreading people when you say they want Kelly to fail. That isn’t the case. Most people on here were laughing at the Kelly fans making him the messiah. We were laughing at those people not Kelly’s abilities. I think if somehow the colts turn to him as a future starter most of us will hope he succeeds and trust ballard and Reich in that moment they name him as the starter. Everyone will at least give him a chance. As much as Reich praises him Ballard will have to also love him to agree to it. Plus this is a decision Irsay will be heavily involved in. So all three will have to fall in love with him for it to happen.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The fact they didn’t play Kelly says nothing about Kelly. The optics of doing that were horrible. You effectively crush JB and admit that you made a massive mistake just months earlier. 

The only way to do it was to put JB on IR...but he wasn’t hurt like that. If anything...that’s what that decision says...that JB wasn’t really that hurt. 

14 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think it’s probably 90% odds that Kelly ends up on PS

Unless Eason craters with immaturity ....

( He seems to be saying the right things now)

But......  him moving to the 4th round tells me that there is at least some very strong concerns about the kid that can’t be overcame without some proving

He has the strongest arm in this years draft along with a very good release.....  he is a 1st round talent.....  but there is a “hole” that we don’t know as casual observers

You really don't have to be a casual observer to see his issues. Progressions, pocket management/presence, lack of mobility, etc. are all flags. And while he spent 4 years in college, he really only started one.

He was drafted because of his measurements and arm strength. Overall, he's a raw kid with a lot of stuff to work on. He ended up in a good place to do that though.

2 or 3 years from now I bet Eason is 1 and Kelly is 2

I'm not ready to say that yet. Eason's production in his one year, and against the teams he played, isn't up to par with Kelly. And Kelly is much better in all the areas where Eason struggles. It'll be an interesting one to follow.

I can’t see JB here after this year

I don't see him here either. I think he'll opt to go somewhere and try to start next year.

If Eason and Kelly have fantastic camps..... I think there is a great chance that JB will be offered for a 4th or 5th before the season.  

I'd bet he was already shopped. Given his contract value, and glut of QBs this year, simply no market for him. An injury to a key QB close to the season start might change that.

Who knows.....

Total wildcard IMO for the next couple years. I could even see us in the Carr sweepstakes when LVR decides to move away from him as well.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Total wildcard IMO for the next couple years. I could even see us in the Carr sweepstakes when LVR decides to move away from him as well.

I guess we will see if old habits stay the same with Gruden. 

It didn't take him long to pull the leash on his QBs in the past so we will see. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess we will see if old habits stay the same with Gruden. 

It didn't take him long to pull the leash on his QBs in the past so we will see. 

He would have been stupid to cut Carr lose this year IMO. Glut market dropped his trade value, and hell, he was top 10 QBR last year. And he did very well without a lot of weapons around him. Gruden took 3 WRs in the first 3 rounds including Ruggs who should light it up with Carr.

That said, I think Gruden will let him light it up in 2020, then trade him after the year at peak value lol

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He would have been stupid to cut Carr lose this year IMO. Glut market dropped his trade value, and hell, he was top 10 QBR last year. And he did very well without a lot of weapons around him. Gruden took 3 WRs in the first 3 rounds including Ruggs who should light it up with Carr.

That said, I think Gruden will let him light it up in 2020, then trade him after the year at peak value lol

It wouldn't surprise me at all for that to happen. 

We just wait and see who the next shiny new QB will be? :D

I for one will not be surprised if JB is not on the team when the season starts.  Training camp and preseason will sort the backup position out and If Kelly proves he is the best qualified to be the backup QB then I think he will be on the team.  If that means Ballard must cut JB and take a dead cap hit I think he would do it.  I'm sure he would try to trade him first but that would be pretty hard to do given his contract.  So JB not being on the team wouldn't surprise me but a lot has to take place for it to actually happen.  JB is the current front runner but he is by no means a lock for the backup spot IMO. 

Archived