Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich has very high remarks on Chad Kelly

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I want Kelly over JB as QB 3. 

From a talent perspective, Kelly is likely the 2nd best QB on the roster right now. He's also the least "safe" choice... But I agree, I'd prefer Kelly long term to JB. Brissett, even in college, was very un-remarkable... Great guy, but not someone I want starting, and not really a backup I want to pay all that $$ to either, or someone I want vying to be a future starter..... I'm fine with paying him this year as we're in no-win situation with guarantees... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

From a talent perspective, Kelly is likely the 2nd best QB on the roster right now. He's also the least "safe" choice... But I agree, I'd prefer Kelly long term to JB. Brissett, even in college, was very un-remarkable... Great guy, but not someone I want starting, and not really a backup I want to pay all that $$ to either, or someone I want vying to be a future starter..... I'm fine with paying him this year as we're in no-win situation with guarantees... 

That's kind of my viewpoint. I dont want Kelly to start in the next 2 years but I have faith in his potential for the future over JB for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich usually says a lot of positive things abort his players to inspire them. But it does make you think. It would be very disappointing to have him thrown to the PS and him picked up by another team. It would be a huge waste of a draft pick if he didn’t even make the 53. 

Chad wasn't drafted by the Colts

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was talking about if Eason got cut instead of Kelly.

Our depth chart / roster is all but guaranteed to be Rivers/JB/Eason + Kelly on the PS (if not picked up)... 

The only thing that changes that is if either they dump or trade JB, or someone gets hurt.

Kelly stands a good chance to stick on the PS. There's a QB glut this year, and Kelly is still either an enigma OR a red-card to most teams. And they're aren't cutting Eason, at least not this year.

Perhaps he’s also doing the coach speak thing to pump Kelly up for other suitors. Although as others have mentioned, with such a saturated QB market it’s not probable for Kelly to find another team. 

I see him on the practice squad to start training camp, but he’s got a shot of moving up. 

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich usually says a lot of positive things abort his players to inspire them. But it does make you think. It would be very disappointing to have him thrown to the PS and him picked up by another team. It would be a huge waste of a draft pick if he didn’t even make the 53. 

A huge waste of a draft pick?

Huh?    What pick will we have wasted if Kelly doesn’t make the 53?   I’m not following?

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What do you expect him to do? Throw him under the bus? It's just coach talk. Kelly is going to the PS. End of story.

Ding.  Correct answer.  As much as fans don’t like it the Colts have made it clear that Rivers is the starter and Jacoby is the backup.  That’s not a question in their minds.  They admitted that when they said Eason would be battling Kelly for the third spot.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out they probably aren’t going to cut the guy they invested a fourth round pick in unless he just can’t play.   That leaves Kelly on the outside looking in.

Personally I think the minute Eason was drafted it made Kelly disposable. 

If Ballard and the coaches thought that Kelly had a future here in Indy they would have went a different direction with that 4th round pick. Like it or not Ballard does draft for need. The Eason pick was for the future. Was it a gamble? Yeah probably but it still leaves Kelly on the outside. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ding.  Correct answer.  As much as fans don’t like it the Colts have made it clear that Rivers is the starter and Jacoby is the backup.  That’s not a question in their minds.  They admitted that when they said Eason would be battling Kelly for the third spot.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out they probably aren’t going to cut the guy they invested a fourth round pick in unless he just can’t play.   That leaves Kelly on the outside looking in.

This is still just coach speak! All of what they say is coach speak! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

At first I thought there would be no way JB wouldn't be traded or cut after we signed Rivers. After being handed the keys last year and now being replaced I figured he would hate that. That would normally bother anyone. I am not so sure now. JB is a good character guy and for a backup making great money. He may not mind it at all with Rivers coming in. As of now, I can see Rivers starting, JB as the backup, Eason 3rd string, Kelly remains on the practice squad.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

What do you expect him to do? Throw him under the bus? It's just coach talk. Kelly is going to the PS. End of story.

Rich Eisen pretty much put Frank on the spot by bringing up Jim Kelly and then threw Chip in the question. 

Frank could only say what he said and proceed with coach speak. 

When this all plays out it will be the actions that do the talking. 

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

I liked where he said every two weeks or so he tries talking Andrew into coming back.  (I may have added a little of my own hope here)

If Andrew comes back, next year (2021) would be the year because Rivers is only signed for 1 year and JB only for 1 more year. Having said that, I think Andrew is done. He is still young though so who knows?

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Chuckle. Brissett has no future here because he isn't very good, that is why they signed old man Rivers and drafted Eason. So that makes the coach speak clearly the pumping up of Brissett.
 Minus the 10-10 character issues so many here WANT Kelly to have, Kelly can become our starter.

I always look at actions more then words. What tells me they may be higher on Kelly then what we think is they paid him a ton of money so he wouldn’t be poached of the PS. So they really do think a lot about him. While it’s true they wouldn’t of drafted Eason If they really thought Kelly could be the future there is always that chance he beats Eason out. From what I have seen on IG Kelly does seem to have bonded with some of the players. Eason has a lot of work to do to get ahead of Kelly in that aspect.

Rich's joke about when Frank was ordained (at half time against the Oilers)- solid stuff. 

That was a lot of fluff for Chad. I'd be fine with him beating out JB for the two job as long as it's the legit correct move. I dunno as preseason is what we've seen of Chad and that's not enough. JB is a legit 2.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly stands a good chance to stick on the PS. There's a QB glut this year, and Kelly is still either an enigma OR a red-card to most teams. And they're aren't cutting Eason, at least not this year.

I think it’s probably 90% odds that Kelly ends up on PS

Unless Eason craters with immaturity ....

( He seems to be saying the right things now)

But......  him moving to the 4th round tells me that there is at least some very strong concerns about the kid that can’t be overcame without some proving

He has the strongest arm in this years draft along with a very good release.....  he is a 1st round talent.....  but there is a “hole” that we don’t know as casual observers

2 or 3 years from now I bet Eason is 1 and Kelly is 2

I can’t see JB here after this year

If Eason and Kelly have fantastic camps..... I think there is a great chance that JB will be offered for a 4th or 5th before the season.  

Who knows.....

But.... I will add.... Frank just doesn’t openly berate players... they are ALL good....

It is a bit of coachspeak, but Frank is a class act

Archived