Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich has very high remarks on Chad Kelly

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@Jared Cisneros

Professional Coaches make on the field decision based off what is best for the team not what fans want

Leaving Brissett in was not best for the team. He was injured and struggling out there while the league had him figured out. At best, what Reich did was stubbornness. At worst, it was completely irresponsible to damage Brissett's confidence, destroy our chances of making the playoffs, and not get any sample size on Kelly before the season ended.

Reich was being a bad coach in multiple ways, that's not hindsight. It's not about what the fans want, it's about doing what's right, and Reich failed to do so.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Leaving Brissett in was not best for the team. He was injured and struggling out there while the league had him figured out. At best, what Reich did was stubbornness. At worst, it was completely irresponsible to damage Brissett's confidence, destroy our chances of making the playoffs, and not get any sample size on Kelly before the season ended.

Reich was being a bad coach in multiple ways, that's not hindsight. It's not about what the fans want, it's about doing what's right, and Reich failed to do so.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIFThe brain trust had a sample size on CK

It is called practice 

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm quite positive Reich and Ballard have a better idea of what's best for the team than you do. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I will say this, we all know credit usually goes the QB direction. Good or Bad.

But as suggested in a post above, they dont think Frank is a good person? I mean really? Everything I've ever seen, heard about Frank Reich, suggest he is a top notch person.

If you want to say something about his coaching fine, but lets remember Philly took a big step backwards when he left, and that was while getting their Franchise QB back after he left.?

Wentz actually missed more games the following year...but they went 4-1 with Foles.

The defense and offense took steps back after the SB. I think that SB season was just an outlier for PHI...which is typically how it goes for teams (like CAR and ATL).

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIFThe brain trust had a sample size on CK

It is called practice 

Practiced well enough to get on the 53-man half of the season. It doesn't seem like they had any intention of playing him (some even say it was a "test")...so I don't think it's a reflection of how he practiced...but more so principle.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Practiced well enough to get on the 53-man half of the season. It doesn't seem like they had any intention of playing him (some even say it was a "test")...so I don't think it's a reflection of how he practiced...but more so principle.

I agree 

The practice comment was for those who said he should have played late for him to give the team a look at him 

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Benching JB would have also crushed his confidence as well...probably even more so. 

The only way to navigate it was to put JB on IR due to the knee injury...which would have meant Kelly had to play. But JB wasn't hurt bad enough for that...as both he and Reich have said. 

It was a lose-lose situation...that I am sure they didn't see coming back in August.

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Benching JB would have also crushed his confidence as well...probably even more so. 

The only way to navigate it was to put JB on IR due to the knee injury...which would have meant Kelly had to play. But JB wasn't hurt bad enough for that...as both he and Reich have said. 

It was a lose-lose situation...that I am sure they didn't see coming back in August.

Benching him may have hurt his confidence, but Reich could have been honest with him and I'm sure Brissett would have been ok with the news. He just had to tell Brissett he's still hurt, he's currently struggling, and the league has you figured out. Show Brissett his first-half numbers per game compared to his second-half numbers.

Tell Brissett to heal up and work on improving your game while making adjustments. We're out of the playoffs, so we are going with Kelly, and you'll get a chance next year. Simple as that. JB has to learn as well that bad play is not rewarded. That would send a negative message to him and the team.

18 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Since the draft I always thought chad Kelly was the 2nd best on our roster, but didn’t say anything bc supporting him is Taboo on here. He’s got a high ceiling and I believe he has the potential to be the most accurate QB in the NFL. Seems like he’s matured and I’d like to see him get a legit shot with us instead of someone else. Only way I see him making the team is if we cut or trade brissett. Also, it would make a good story going from #1 pick Manning to #1 pick Luck to Mr irrelevant Chad Kelly. 

Luck is now more irrelevant than CK.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Benching him may have hurt his confidence, but Reich could have been honest with him and I'm sure Brissett would have been ok with the news. He just had to tell Brissett he's still hurt, he's currently struggling, and the league has you figured out. Show Brissett his first-half numbers per game compared to his second-half numbers.

Tell Brissett to heal up and work on improving your game while making adjustments. We're out of the playoffs, so we are going with Kelly, and you'll get a chance next year. Simple as that. JB has to learn as well that bad play is not rewarded. That would send a negative message to him and the team.

I don’t agree with what you said about Reich but I do agree with what you said here about how Jacoby should of been handled. Between this and the AV situation they were both handled terrible. It set a bad example for the entire team. How do you preach accountability when these two were not accountable. . There was nothing to lose seeing what Kelly could do once we were eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe they were nervous chad would look good and they didn’t want that controversy because they weren’t not going to give him the starting job. It’s the only thing that makes somewhat sense.

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Wait... so when the team does well in 2018, it's because of Luck, not Reich.  But when the team doesn't do as well in 2019, it's not because of Brissett or Vinny, it's because of Reich...

So players get credit for success, but coaches get blame for failure?  What?!?  I think you have an unfounded bias going on...  do you give Reich any credit at all for his system allowing Luck to go 239 pass attempts over 5 games without a sack in 2018?  Or do you only give credit to Nelson?

You do realize Reich is only doing what every other coach does.  It isn't "lying to the media", it's coach-speak, and there isn't a single coach in the NFL that doesn't practice it.  Actions do speak louder than words, and Ballard/Reich will retain/start the players that have EARNED it.  On AND off the field.

Give him a break, he thought that whole thing up as he was typing it.

12 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

If Reich would have given Kelly even so much as 1 set of downs in Week 16 or 17 last season.... and Ballard not selected Eason in the draft.... I might agree with you.

But Reich didn’t and Ballard did.... so I don’t.

We can whip up all the sentiment we want here on the Forum for Kelly.... but Reich and Ballard’s actions speak a tad bit louder than our words.... or their own.

Sorry, my post wasn’t very clearly written. We completely agree. I see no way that Reich praises CK like that if he may want to stash him on the practice squad, because it increases the odds that he is snatched up by another team. To me, his words show that Reich sees no future on the Colts for CK. 

3 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Sorry, my post wasn’t very clearly written. We completely agree. I see no way that Reich praises CK like that if he may want to stash him on the practice squad, because it increases the odds that he is snatched up by another team. To me, his words show that Reich sees no future on the Colts for CK. 

Agreed 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t agree with what you said about Reich but I do agree with what you said here about how Jacoby should of been handled. Between this and the AV situation they were both handled terrible. It set a bad example for the entire team. How do you preach accountability when these two were not accountable. . There was nothing to lose seeing what Kelly could do once we were eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe they were nervous chad would look good and they didn’t want that controversy because they weren’t not going to give him the starting job. It’s the only thing that makes somewhat sense.

Oh, Dear God.....

It.  Just.   Never.   Stops!    (Sigh...)

On 5/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Gosh listening to him talk about chad Kelly on the Rich  Eisen show makes me think Eason isn’t a slam dunk for the third QB. Unless they trade Jacoby.

He was pumping up Vinny (As well asbJB) every week last year too.

How did that work out?

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Reich tanked the season to prove a point to Kelly

The only person to blame for last years failures is Reich.

Reich was being a bad coach in multiple ways

What in the...

I'm pretty sure Ballard would vehemently disagree with your take on Reich.  To your face.  In private.  With very choice words.  :nono:

Did Jordan Peele hire you as a writer for his new Twilight Zone remake?  Because that's where you are right now, in the Twilight Zone.  :funny:

200.gif

On 5/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Really starting to dislike Reich. To me, he's nothing but a Pagano clone that can talk to the media better. Not fooling me. He can nonsense that he likes Kelly all day, but he didn't even start him over an injured, struggling Brissett that the league figured out. Actions speak louder than words.

I think you're correct re: Kelly.  Nowadays you have to look past the coachspeak there are just very few head coaches who will tell it straight even when their moves tell a different story.  Kelly has throttled back on the partying but he's probably not a starting talent in this league.  Question with him is can he be the backup and in that respect I think Reich will give him every opportunity.  But Brissett is more talented, so chances are he'll be the backup.

You see this coachspeak stuff around the league it's nuts honestly.  Take any big offseason move and then listen to the press conference and the two just don't align.  Saints' Payton talking up Bridgewater like he's a quality starting QB but doesn't try to keep him or trade him and lets him leave in FA.   Rams' McVay talking up Gurley like he was such a great guy but hey we're gonna pay him truckloads of money to play somewhere else.  Belichick talking up Tom Brady even though clearly the divorce was set and folks knew it was coming for months.  On and on it's all the same nonsense really.

I just disregard what coaches say nowadays.  Let your eyes and common sense/knowledge of the game be your guide IMO.

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol and for those still trying to keep count, Chloe has once again changed her stance on everything she has previously said. 

55 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Nowadays you have to look past the coachspeak there are just very few head coaches who will tell it straight even when their moves tell a different story.

I think there's a reason for that.  Any coach that "tells it straight" doesn't last long in the NFL.

It's a PR thing.  Telling reporters that "you think you know, but you don't know", or "here's your IQ, buddy, zero", or "you play to win the game... HELLO?!?" usually ends up being one of the last things said as a head coach in the NFL.  Why do you think Belichick is so damn boring in his press conferences/interviews?!?  He gives the media/opponent absolutely zero when it comes to bulletin-board material for a very good reason...  :funny:

As far as Kelly:  none of us know how he truly is behind the scenes.  For all we know, he's as talented as Michael Vick.  But when it comes to everything a franchise QB has to be, he might be closer to Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning.  :dunno:

17 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Lol and for those still trying to keep count, Chloe has once again changed her stance on everything she has previously said. 

I feel bad for anyone trying to keep count.  haha

I love @Jared Cisneros and @Chloe6124, but their opinion/take changes like the coming and going of the tide.  (or as the tweeters tweet)  One minute they're on the same boat as everyone else, then all-of-a-sudden, they're on an island all by themselves defending an undefendable stance...

cg4wru0.gif

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think there's a reason for that.  Any coach that "tells it straight" doesn't last long in the NFL.

It's a PR thing.  Telling reporters that "you think you know, but you don't know", or "here's your IQ, buddy, zero", or "you play to win the game... HELLO?!?" usually ends up being one of the last things said as a head coach in the NFL.  Why do you think Belichick is so damn boring in his press conferences/interviews?!?  He gives the media/opponent absolutely zero when it comes to bulletin-board material for a very good reason...  :funny:

As far as Kelly:  none of us know how he truly is behind the scenes.  For all we know, he's as talented as Michael Vick.  But when it comes to everything a franchise QB has to be, he might be closer to Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning.  :dunno:

My response was that you have to look past coachspeak and that Reich specifically is not alone in doing that.  He's basically just like everyone else in that regard.

To your point...  I think there's room to be more genuine about it than coaches are in this current and touchy-feely era.  Probably the most glaring this offseason was Gurley and the Rams played it that way to avoid negative press.  But they've been covering for him and denying the reality for a while now, that they made a grievous error paying him early.  Teams have taken notice too and RB contracts will inevitably follow.  But in the way it was done I think it would have been ok to say what the problem was (they never really did that and are one of the more tight-lipped teams in that way).  It would have been ok to say he wasn't happy with carries and/or whatever his physical ailment was (I followed this situation closely btw and he cost me a fantasy championship).

It's just the easy route, the lazy route IMO, to resort to talking guys up while on the other hand the business move tells a whole different story.  But the NFL is a copycat league so at some point a head coach may come along who will do that while sustaining wins and next thing you know there would be a new group of guys calling it honestly.

29 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

My response was that you have to look past coachspeak and that Reich specifically is not alone in doing that.  He's basically just like everyone else in that regard.

Exactly.

Coaches are going to play it close-to-the-vest because that's what has worked.  From Lombardi, to Noll, to Walsh, to Jimmy Johnson, to Belichick, to any coach coaching today.  They're going to "play the game" with what they say, because that's how it has to be played.

You can call it "easy" or "lazy", but ask yourself this:  no coach has had as much success as Belichick has had over the last two decades... as in, like EVER.  No coach has won 6 :lombardi:s.  Yet, he still spits the same media-friendly (un-friendly depending on your stance) rhetoric... WHY?  Why doesn't Belichick just start speaking his mind the way you think he should?  He's earned the right, right?

It's because calling things "honestly" to the media just doesn't work.  Ask any successful athlete or coach in any major sport.  You speak differently to the media than you do to your teammates.  We're not privileged enough to hear those words because we're not part of the team.  Simple as that.  :thmup:

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I haven’t changed my mind of anything. Sometimes when you look back on things you can have a different perspective. Changing my mind no.

"Having a different perspective" = "changing your mind", which you do all the time.  Anyone that's been on this site for the last two years is aware of this.

Your posting history proves this.  You've changed your take multiple times in the same page of one thread...  more than once...  It's fine, but as often as you post, you need to own it.

Depending on the most recent tweet/article/talk-show-take, you change your mind as fast as some NFL players run the 40-yd-dash... just sayin...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"Having a different perspective" = "changing your mind", which you do all the time.  Anyone that's been on this site for the last two years is aware of this.

Your posting history proves this.  You've changed your take multiple times in the same page of one thread...  more than once...  It's fine, but as often as you post, you need to own it.

Depending on the most recent tweet/article/talk-show-take, you change your mind as fast as some NFL players run the 40-yd-dash... just sayin...

giphy.gif

You do understand what playing devils advocate means or asking a what if type scenario.

If Jacoby had to start this season I would of still been excited to see if he could of improved. Especially if everyone stayed mostly healthy. And how does wanting to see what Kelly could do after we were eliminated from the playoffs change my mind about anything.  Sometimes someone can bring up a point that you hadn’t thought of also changing the way you think of a certain situation.

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You do understand what playing devils advocate means or asking a what if type scenario.

That's fair.  And maybe you've done that once or twice.  Cool.  Just tell us when you're doing that.  Example:  "just playing devils' advocate here, but ... blah blah blah..."  See how easy that was?

But don't try to pretend that the 10,000+ posts you've made since joining a year-and-a-half ago are all "playing devils' advocate", or asking a "what if" type scenario...

Please.  Your opinion flip-flops more than my flip-flops.  :lol:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's fair.  And maybe you've done that once or twice.  Cool.  Just tell us when you're doing that.  Example:  "just playing devils' advocate here, but ... blah blah blah..."  See how easy that was?

But don't try to pretend that the 10,000+ posts you've made since joining a year-and-a-half ago are all "playing devils' advocate", or asking a "what if" type scenario...

Please.  Your opinion flip-flops more than my flip-flops.  :lol:

giphy.gif

Have you ever had someone bring ip a certain point you hadn’t thought of that made you change your mind or cause you to think differently. Everyone has. I am always open to someone else’s opinion and yes sometimes it puts a different perspective on things.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Have you ever had someone bring up a certain point you hadn’t thought of that made you change your mind or cause you to think differently?  Everyone has.  I am always open to someone elses' opinion, and yes, sometimes it puts a different perspective on things.

You're right.  I'm sorry if I'm being too harsh.

There's a thin line between being stubborn and being open-minded when it comes to sticking with an opinion that's wrong vs changing your mind when you're wrong.

I love you, I don't know if I've told you that before, but I do.  You're a great part of our Colts community.  I may not always agree with you, and I may give you poop-600x600.jpg sometimes, but I love your contributions to our forum.

Coach Reich would give a bum off Michigan St a high remark and I take everything he he says about a Colts player with a grain of salt.  He simply will never talk down on any player that ever suits up for the Shoe whether right or wrong.  Every player is just a tick away from All Pro, right Coach?

11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

He simply will never talk down on any player that ever suits up for the Shoe whether right or wrong.

... name a coach that would "talk down on a player" that "suits up" for their team...

... that would also keep their job the following season... and please provide examples for the class.

I'll wait.  :bored:

Look, I'm not saying ya'll are wrong @Jared Cisneros, @Chloe6124, and @BornHoosier.

All I'm saying is that coaches have to play a certain game that the rest of us are not privy to.  Their livelihood depends on it.  They have to say things a certain way about their players when talking to certain people.  They can't talk about their players to the media the way you and I would talk about those same players amongst ourselves.

We can talk about how bad Brissett was last year.  But you won't hear Reich or Ballard or Irsay say those things publicly, even if they agree with us.  Right, wrong, indifferent, NFL coaches play by a different set of rules than the rest of us, the common fans.  Love it, hate it, regardless, it is what it is, and we have to accept that that's the way it is, whether we like it or not.  :shake:

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

... name a coach that would "talk down on a player" that "suits up" for their team...

... that would also keep their job the following season... and please provide examples for the class.

I see some missed the main point of today's lesson so let me reiterate.  When the Head Coach of any organization talks about any of his players, take it for a grain of salt because it's pure Oscar Meyer organs & trimmings, otherwise known as BOLOGNA.   

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Look, I'm not saying ya'll are wrong @Jared Cisneros, @Chloe6124, and @BornHoosier.

All I'm saying is that coaches have to play a certain game that the rest of us are not privy to.  Their livelihood depends on it.  They have to say things a certain way about their players when talking to certain people.  They can't talk about their players to the media the way you and I would talk about those same players amongst ourselves.

We can talk about how bad Brissett was last year.  But you won't hear Reich or Ballard or Irsay say those things publicly, even if they agree with us.  Right, wrong, indifferent, NFL coaches play by a different set of rules than the rest of us, the common fans.  Love it, hate it, regardless, it is what it is, and we have to accept that that's the way it is, whether we like it or not.  :shake:

All you have to pay attention to is their actions. No matter what they say their  actions do not show faith in Jacoby. I mean they had Dalton and Foles as backup options if Rivers didn’t work out.  

22 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is easy answer. Arians constantly put down Winston last season. He threw all kinds of shade at him. I don’t think a coach has to put down a player though. Just  watch  they do. They consistently said Wilson was doing the right things and every week he was a healthy scratch.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

In all seriousness Lucky, you are correct and we all would do the same in his position!  I'm just tired of the constant pumping of sunshine on players that are the direct result of 7-9. 

Archived