Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You gotta love NFL Network's flip flop views on this team

DownHillRunner

Ladanian Tomlinson was just on NFL Network saying the Colts are overhyped this offseason and that they haven't done enough to address the Tight End and Wide Receiver positions. Ladanian was a beast running back, but as an analyst, he needs to stick one opinion about this team. Just last week, he said Phillip Rivers would thrive with the Colts, the Colts will be a playoff team and Jonathan Taylor is going into a great situation. Adding Rivers, Rhodes, Buckner, Day, Taylor, Pittman, and our other draft picks doesn't give this team 2-3 more wins? 

I don't get his logic. What Tight End in the draft would've came in right away and produced? The Tight End class was dreadful in 2020. 

I think we should be fine at WR, barring injuries.

At TE, i agree we could use more talent.  A “top” TE could transform the offense in a major way.  But i agree... who?  Ebron will probably light it up in Pitt, but i am more than ok with him leaving.  Doyle is good, but is physically limited in some ways.  I like Moe but i cant say he’ll produce like a 2018 Ebron.  I also wasnt overly hyped on any draft TE.  I see the new guy from chicago/philly has experience with reich but i dont see the production and measurables of a top-tier TE.  I’m hoping a surprise cut at the 53 may allow an upgrade as well.    I do think, with other weapons we have, we can “make do”, but i’m also sure Ballard sees it and is always looking.  Maybe next year a TE (a #1 TE type) is more strongly targeted.

I’m not getting too carried away with excitement, but i also see potential of a pretty exciting and special season.  I just have a feeling this team is gonna bond very tightly, and love playing together.  I think the attitude and experience of Rivers will give this team the confidence they lacked at key moments last year.  On both sides of the ball.

I don't know about over hyped. but there are a lot of changes in important positions where the outcome is not real clear.  It never is of course with any new season, but positive changes made on paper don't always work out, and we made some important changes.  I think its a season to be cautious without very high expectations at this point.  I think contending for the division title but falling short by maybe two losses is the likely outcome.

The TE position is what it is.  Sometimes there simply isn't the resources available to improve a situation you want to improve.  

I think Reich's system is probably better set up to make something out of less talent at the WR position than a different O.  I think we are one player away from having a very good corps, but maybe somebody after the obvious three will step up.  And hopefully TY won't drop off this year, both in play and availability, so that could be a question mark too.

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Ladanian Tomlinson was just on NFL Network saying the Colts are overhyped this offseason and that they haven't done enough to address the Tight End and Wide Receiver positions. Ladanian was a beast running back, but as an analyst, he needs to stick one opinion about this team. Just last week, he said Phillip Rivers would thrive with the Colts, the Colts will be a playoff team and Jonathan Taylor is going into a great situation. Adding Rivers, Rhodes, Buckner, Day, Taylor, Pittman, and our other draft picks doesn't give this team 2-3 more wins? 

I don't get his logic. What Tight End in the draft would've came in right away and produced? The Tight End class was dreadful in 2020. 

Ok here we go.    The headline here is wrong.   Sorry, but it’s NOT the NFL Network that has flip-flopped.   It’s one analyst.   Just one.   And  all he’s done is take different positions on different questions.

First, he said Phillip Rivers should thrive with the Colts.

Second, he said the Colts are getting over-hyped this off-season.  

Guess what?  Without agreeing with him, it IS possible for both thoughts to be true.   There isn’t a flip-flop here.  Just some subtlety and nuance in thought.   Different issues; different viewpoints.  

8 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Here is a fun thought to chew on: If we had signed Tom Brady, we may have had Rob Gronkowski.

I respect them, but i’d rather not cheer for them.

A pass for me, whether driven by emotion or not.

I’d feel like i needed a bath after watching every game i’m afraid.

While I'm probably like a lot of others here in that I prefer a top receiving talent at tight end, it seems like the Colts prefer them as top run blockers. At least that's what I'm going to assume. If so, they couldn't have done much better in assembling the unit they have. Unless I'm mistaken, Doyle and Burton are both in the top 5 of the best run blocking tight ends in the league over the past 2 years.

So assuming that's what they were after, and regardless of what any of us prefer there, they've apparently accomplished exactly what they were looking to do.

34 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

While I'm probably like a lot of others here in that I prefer a top receiving talent at tight end, it seems like the Colts prefer them as top run blockers. At least that's what I'm going to assume. If so, they couldn't have done much better in assembling the unit they have. Unless I'm mistaken, Doyle and Burton are both in the top 5 of the best run blocking tight ends in the league over the past 2 years.

So assuming that's what they were after, and regardless of what any of us prefer there, they've apparently accomplished exactly what they were looking to do.

Yea, we also went out and got a FB, so we're leaning huge now on the run game. I suppose Ebron didn't make much sense for our scheme.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know about over hyped. but there are a lot of changes in important positions where the outcome is not real clear.  It never is of course with any new season, but positive changes made on paper don't always work out, and we made some important changes.  I think its a season to be cautious without very high expectations at this point.  I think contending for the division title but falling short by maybe two losses is the likely outcome.

The TE position is what it is.  Sometimes there simply isn't the resources available to improve a situation you want to improve.  

I think Reich's system is probably better set up to make something out of less talent at the WR position than a different O.  I think we are one player away from having a very good corps, but maybe somebody after the obvious three will step up.  And hopefully TY won't drop off this year, both in play and availability, so that could be a question mark too.

I don’t think you can accurately  predict our season to that degree.  There’s too many moving parts this year.  

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I don’t think you can accurately  predict our season to that degree.  There’s too many moving parts this year.  

You can say that almost every year.  A lot of new faces on the team and that could mean an infusion of talent or issues with cohesion as a team. We have not won the division in quite awhile and until we do I’m with Doug on this one. We need one of the young WRs, DE’s, RBs, LBs and DBs to step up.  That is a lot to expect.  It could happen but most likely we are still a year or two away. 

I can't help but think that we are ready, man. We are going to be tough to beat. Limiting defense + ball control/run game + a quarterback that will make the PA throws = winning formula. I honestly think simply adding those couple chunk plays will/would've make/made such a difference. Gives us one or two more scores, and would've won us a couple more games. Seeing Franky dial up the PA at the PERFECT moment, and watching Jacoby drop back in a clean pocket just to NOT throw the ball downfield to T.Y was SO painful. Every. Time. I know Rivers' arm strength may be a question now, but I think he can deliver that PA post. Add another surehanded wideout and (hopefully) a Parris Campbell ascension. And then another guy to pound the rock. We're good. I honestly think the makeup of this team makes it so that we do not need elite QB play to win, JUST THROW THE DAMN PA PASS. We have that now. I'm actually trying to be less excited haha.

20 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I can't help but think that we are ready, man. We are going to be tough to beat. Limiting defense + ball control/run game + a quarterback that will make the PA throws = winning formula. I honestly think simply adding those couple chunk plays will/would've make/made such a difference. Gives us one or two more scores, and would've won us a couple more games. Seeing Franky dial up the PA at the PERFECT moment, and watching Jacoby drop back in a clean pocket just to NOT throw the ball downfield to T.Y was SO painful. Every. Time. I know Rivers' arm strength may be a question now, but I think he can deliver that PA post. Add another surehanded wideout and (hopefully) a Parris Campbell ascension. And then another guy to pound the rock. We're good. I honestly think the makeup of this team makes it so that we do not need elite QB play to win, JUST THROW THE DAMN PA PASS. We have that now. I'm actually trying to be less excited haha.

Yeah, well said, this is where I keep landing on the team too. And my excitement level.  

24 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Who is over hyping the Colts? Colts fans? I dont see anyone even talking about the Colts. 

Right? I rarely hear us talked about from media. Glad too, I’d rather us be the under dog. Being a small market team has its benefits. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

You can say that almost every year.  A lot of new faces on the team and that could mean an infusion of talent or issues with cohesion as a team. We have not won the division in quite awhile and until we do I’m with Doug on this one. We need one of the young WRs, DE’s, RBs, LBs and DBs to step up.  That is a lot to expect.  It could happen but most likely we are still a year or two away. 

That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m referring to Rivers, Rhodes and Buckner. 3 stars brought in to transform this team. They won’t get better in a year, they will get older. They were brought in to win now.  Rivers and Rhodes May not be here after 2 years so you guys are completely discounting we are in Win Now mode. You’re talking about Eason being the QB after 2 years and he will be like a rookie. You can’t expect him to win his first year. 

12 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Yeah, that was the basic gist of my post.  I have red some that talk about a deep playoff run.  If anything can be predicted with the amount of moving parts and still young players developing, I think contention for the Division is the ceiling with the same 6 and 10 record as last year as the floor.

Also, I would not be confident that the addition of Buckner solves our D line problems.  He's a very good player and it was a good trade, but he was also surrounded by great players in SF.  Its possible that one good player can get dragged down by being surrounded by a bunch of average players as much as people may be thinking that one good player will raise the quality of play of everyone else.  Two quality DTs would have been a better addition, IMO, but we went with the RB and FS, in the earlier rounds which is okay too.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Right? I rarely hear us talked about from media. Glad too, I’d rather us be the under dog. Being a small market team has its benefits. 

It can be nice, and I used to hold that same point if view, but I'd like the Colts to become a dynasty and that would take them being in the spot light consistently, and being able to win while always being favored. 

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m referring to Rivers, Rhodes and Buckner. 3 stars brought in to transform this team. They won’t get better in a year, they will get older. They were brought in to win now.  Rivers and Rhodes May not be here after 2 years so you guys are completely discounting we are in Win Now mode. You’re talking about Eason being the QB after 2 years and he will be like a rookie. You can’t expect him to win his first year. 

I totally get they are in win now mode. Honestly they have been in that mode for years and they haven’t won the division bc of injuries or retirement.  All the parts are there they just have to go win the games.  

Also, I doubt Eason is the QB of the future either. He is more likely to be out of the league in 5-6yrs than a starting QB. With that said, I liked him 2nd after Tua so we will see.  I think all the first round QBs have bust written all over them be it talent level or the teams they went to. Ballard did great getting Eason in the 4th but I’m not holding my breath. A decent backup QB is probably his real ceiling. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I totally get they are in win now mode. Honestly they have been in that mode for years and they haven’t won the division bc of injuries or retirement.  All the parts are there they just have to go win the games.  

Also, I doubt Eason is the QB of the future either. He is more likely to be out of the league in 5-6yrs than a starting QB. With that said, I liked him 2nd after Tua so we will see.  I think all the first round QBs have bust written all over them be it talent level or the teams they went to. Ballard did great getting Eason in the 4th but I’m not holding my breath. A decent backup QB is probably his real ceiling. 

Outside of Fields and Lawrence, 2021's Quarterback class looks the same as this year's class. Then you have the second tier Quarterbacks like Newman and Lance. We'll have to see how Newman does after transferring to Georgia and if Lance can build up his draft stock by having another solid season. Luck retiring last year put this team and franchise in hole scrambling for a franchise Quarterback. 

Bottom line, the Colts are going to have to develop a Quarterback. If its Eason, Lance, Newman, or someone else. The luxury of drafting in the top 10 isn't there anymore for this team. 

18 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

If we prefer them as top run blockers,  then why did we sign Ebron as a free agent?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we prefer them as top run blockers,  then why did we sign Ebron as a free agent?

You're right. If they're not after great run blockers in their tight ends, then they didn't do such a great job assembling the current unit, since two of them are among the best in the league at it. Which is what my previous post implied. But given that those two guys are exactly that, you'd almost have to think that Ballard and his staff are knuckleheads for assembling the unit they have if that's not a primary reason why they did it. I mean, those guys' recent history of being so good in the run game isn't a hidden factor that they wouldn't have known. And I don't see anyone who follows this game thinking Ballard and his staff are stupid. Quite the opposite, actually.

25 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

You're right. If they're not after great run blockers in their tight ends, then they didn't do such a great job assembling the current unit, since two of them are among the best in the league at it. Which is what my previous post implied. But given that those two guys are exactly that, you'd almost have to think that Ballard and his staff are knuckleheads for assembling the unit they have if that's not a primary reason why they did it. I mean, those guys' recent history of being so good in the run game isn't a hidden factor that they wouldn't have known. And I don't see anyone who follows this game thinking Ballard and his staff are stupid. Quite the opposite, actually.

Forgive me...   I had/have a hard time following your post.   I’m sure it’s a “me” thing and not a “you” thing.   Lots of distractions out here. 

I think the Ebron thing is an anomaly.  We thought we had solved our need for a receiving tight end.  But his hugely disappointing ‘19 season blew that up and set us back.   

But I suspect Ballard and Reich will focus on acquiring better TE personnel.  In the near future.   We all think it’s a key position in Reich’s offense.   I wasn’t trying to be a smart ;$$ about Ebron.  But letting him go, may have been the right thing to do,  but it was a set-back talent wise.   We have to hope  Burton has a year like 2018, his first with Chicago...   more than 50 catches for nearly 600 yards and 6 TD’s.   We’d be happy with a year like that.   He fell off badly last year as he was injured most of the year. 

Hope there’s more clarity in this post...  

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Adding Rivers, Rhodes, Buckner, Day, Taylor, Pittman, and our other draft picks doesn't give this team 2-3 more wins? 

I don't get his logic.

Maybe.... You do realize that every team made moves, signed and traded for players, drafted many new guys.... And every team thinks they improved by a few wins this time of year.... Which leaves every team in the same "maybe" category..

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Once Ladanian Tomlinson & Steve Smith stop talking, we as fans just gained 10 pts toward our NFL knowledge.  In all seriousness, I don't get how these two Clowns who were both impact players in the sport, be so clueless when it comes to team evaluations!  Am I the only one who gets a serious case of anxiety when I hear them speak or try to present their case?  I literally have to change the channel and can't believe the NFL Network puts their reputation on the line by giving these two Clowns a J O B!  How many TE's do we need with Jack Doyle, Trey Burton and Mo Allie Cox??  Only thing overhyped is his value as an NFL analyst.

40 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Maybe.... You do realize that every team made moves, signed and traded for players, drafted many new guys.... And every team thinks they improved by a few wins this time of year.... Which leaves every team in the same "maybe" category..

Shafty,  do you realize that this Colts team that we both believe in was a serious threat to the AFC even with poor qb play from JB and an injury prone season from TY?  Add in the fact the GOAT kicker in NFL history cost's us 2-3 games just by himself added up to a 7-9 season!  By no means do any of us Colts fans believe that this team is a 7-9 team and even with these 3 major disappointments, this team was still right there!!!!  SB champs KC on the road, CHECK!  Division winner Houston, CHECK!  AFC runner up Titans, CHECK!  Just imagine if these 3 MAJOR disappointments didn't happen?  Addition by subtraction, we just took care of 2 of the major disappointments and with the addition of Pittman Jr and Taylor, we reduced the need of the third disappointment!  Buckner, Rhodes and Rivers = much more than a "maybe" kind of question but more like an AFC representative affection!

9 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Well... almost every team.

**Looks at the Packers**

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Once Ladanian Tomlinson & Steve Smith stop talking, we as fans just gained 10 pts toward our NFL knowledge.  In all seriousness, I don't get how these two Clowns who were both impact players in the sport, be so clueless when it comes to team evaluations!  Am I the only one who gets a serious case of anxiety when I hear them speak or try to present their case?  I literally have to change the channel and can't believe the NFL Network puts their reputation on the line by giving these two Clowns a J O B!  How many TE's do we need with Jack Doyle, Trey Burton and Mo Allie Cox??  Only thing overhyped is his value as an NFL analyst.

He isn't an analyst.  He's a minor celebrity, who lets his personal likes and dislikes guide his commentary.

22 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Who is over hyping the Colts? Colts fans? I dont see anyone even talking about the Colts. 

USA Today predicts 11-5 and division winners. That could be considered overhyped based on last year’s record. 

Kay Adams sounded very hyped about the Colts on GMFB. 

Doc Rivers exhorted the team to seize their chance this year because they are expected to be contenders. 

Just a few examples.  

LT may be underestimating Rivers’ ability to make ANY receiver better than he really is, in part due to his superb ability to throw with anticipation. He is the best in the business at that skill. 

13 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

USA Today predicts 11-5 and division winners. That could be considered overhyped based on last year’s record. 

Kay Adams sounded very hyped about the Colts on GMFB. 

Doc Rivers exhorted the team to seize their chance this year because they are expected to be contenders. 

Just a few examples.  

LT may be underestimating Rivers’ ability to make ANY receiver better than he really is, in part due to his superb ability to throw with anticipation. He is the best in the business at that skill. 

"Kay Adams?"  Well, that settles it...Colts to the Super Bowl!

On 5/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Forgive me...   I had/have a hard time following your post.   I’m sure it’s a “me” thing and not a “you” thing.   Lots of distractions out here. 

I think the Ebron thing is an anomaly.  We thought we had solved our need for a receiving tight end.  But his hugely disappointing ‘19 season blew that up and set us back.   

But I suspect Ballard and Reich will focus on acquiring better TE personnel.  In the near future.   We all think it’s a key position in Reich’s offense.   I wasn’t trying to be a smart ;$$ about Ebron.  But letting him go, may have been the right thing to do,  but it was a set-back talent wise.   We have to hope  Burton has a year like 2018, his first with Chicago...   more than 50 catches for nearly 600 yards and 6 TD’s.   We’d be happy with a year like that.   He fell off badly last year as he was injured most of the year. 

Hope there’s more clarity in this post...  

No need to apologize about anything. I didn't take anything badly at all. As I said, if they were looking to build a top receiving threat with this current unit, then you were right - they clearly failed. Heck, even if Doyle and Burton repeat their best seasons in the passing game, they're not a top unit in that area. That would be a good season, sure, but not a top one.

My only point is that Ballard and staff undoubtedly know that, too, so it just stands to reason that that's not their "top" priority in building this current unit. It can't be, because that's not these guys' top end potential as receivers. They're just simply not at that level as receivers. But two of them ARE elite level blockers in the run game. It's just too obvious to me, therefore, that that must be their top priority in assembling this unit. I honestly don't know how it could be anything else. Ballard and staff are just too good at knowing what they're doing for it to not be.

That's how I see it, anyway.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:18 PM, BornHoosier said:

Once Ladanian Tomlinson & Steve Smith stop talking, we as fans just gained 10 pts toward our NFL knowledge.  In all seriousness, I don't get how these two Clowns who were both impact players in the sport, be so clueless when it comes to team evaluations!

There are a number of former players that I can't stand watching on these "talk shows"...  Tomlinson, Smith, Steve Young, Deion Sanders, Willie McGinnest, Shannon Sharpe, Randy Moss, Tedy Bruschi, Chris Carter, the list just goes on and on.

It's like they just repeat all the same keywords and phrases without providing anything new to any conversation.  It feels like most former players are just pretending to be "analysts".  It's annoying.

I want more guys like Romo, Manning, Ed Reed, and Luke Keuchly.  Those guys know football.  They knew what their opponent was going to do from all the film they actually ANALYZED, and can provide good insight for the average fan.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There are a number of former players that I can't stand watching on these "talk shows"...  Tomlinson, Smith, Steve Young, Deion Sanders, Willie McGinnest, Shannon Sharpe, Randy Moss, Tedy Bruschi, Chris Carter, the list just goes on and on.

It's like they just repeat all the same keywords and phrases without providing anything new to any conversation.  It feels like most former players are just pretending to be "analysts".  It's annoying.

I want more guys like Romo, Manning, Ed Reed, and Luke Keuchly.  Those guys know football.  They knew what their opponent was going to do from all the film they actually ANALYZED, and can provide good insight for the average fan.

Wait no Heath Evans john c. mcginley laughing GIF

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wait no Heath Evans john c. mcginley laughing GIF

He's the worst.  I didn't even want to type his name.

The only thing that he, Bruschi, and McGinest provide on any of these shows is some story about what Belichick did/said one time before a playoff game...  it's awful.  :wall:

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He's the worst.  I didn't even want to type his name.

The only thing that he, Bruschi, and McGinest provide on any of these shows is some story about what Belichick did/said one time before a playoff game...  it's awful.  :wall:

I like Romo, a lot don't because he is a motor mouth. Having said that he has got better than when he first started with CBS and knows when Nantz is about to speak now. Romo has some serious knowledge and calls plays before they even happen.

Archived