Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign FB Roosevelt Nix

Caleb3502

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What goes around comes around.  Makes perfect sense with our run oriented offense.  

It does, but Nix was also a key contributor to Pitts' special teams unit before he got hurt.  If he makes the team, I would wager he'll see more snaps on STs than on offense.

7 hours ago, P'Son said:

As it should be.  Make them prove their worth before giving them big money.

I imagine we'll see several players (ones just signed and ones on rookie contracts about to expire) be signed to extension during the season if they're playing well.  

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I like watching lead blockers when you need a yard or two.
 They can pound the hole including making the D commit to them, while adding a level of deception that can be exploited also.
 Doyle started making his mark as a lead blocker from the FB position, and i have wanted that back.
 So here we go.

I liked when Big Q lined up as FB last year.  Like him better at LG, but that play was pretty awesome.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Sounds like the guy has to prove he can even play before then competing for a roster spot. 

I think this is more about TE/H-back depth...like Hewitt in 2018.

I agree, he has a lot of similarities to Hewitt on O.  I think we'll see him more on STs, though.

1 hour ago, Orioles22 said:

Maybe we can quit talking about drafting a running back now...

We have a top 10 back in MACK plus a hybrid, take it to the goal lines, in Hines!!!  I don't understand since our receivers are ranked worse than most, which has everything to do with the ever so often invisible GHOST!!!  Please CB add talent to this group, or spend your Sundays watching Phillip Rivers, play like a big pile of poop!!!

18 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

If they think he can make the team, along with Mack, Hines and Wilkins, I think it does. No need to waste a pick on a running back with our need for receivers.

Receivers are deep in this draft can find plenty .  I said it months ago, Mack's last yr,   we need to find his replacement this yr.  Plus he isn't very durable.   Same with OT.   Those are high on the needs list.  Higher than most on here think.  And if a top RB or OT  are available, I think they pull the trigger, even at 34.  But then again there were a lot on here not realizing the importance of the 3 Tech.

10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

our backfield is resembling the old Chargers backfield . LT, Sproles and Neal. Mack, Hines and Roosevelt Nix.  Rivers should feel comfortable with that.

Colts going old school.....love it.  Doing  everything they can to keep Rivers clean. Get ready for play action.  I expect the  1st 3  picks to go on the offense. WR.....TE and maybe even a guard/O tackle.  The went heavy on D last year in the draft and in free agency this year. If a DT, one technique, slides, I could also see them going that route.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Colts going old school.....love it.  Doing  everything they can to keep Rivers clean. Get ready for play action.  I expect the  1st 3  picks to go on the offense. WR.....TE and maybe even a guard/O tackle.  The went heavy on D last year in the draft and in free agency this year. If a DT, one technique, slides, I could also see them going that route.

That’s pretty much what I am guessing but I think there might  be an edge rusher available he likes and he grabs him.

I'm thinking TE with first selection just because wr is so deep and we need help badly at both. DE can use some addressing but Bangou and Turay and are both needing playing time opposite Houston so a bit more of a luxury (Muhammad has improved each season as well), I'd go after another Safety before DE though Willis was impressive last year and Odom is servicable.

40 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'm thinking TE with first selection just because wr is so deep and we need help badly at both. DE can use some addressing but Bangou and Turay and are both needing playing time opposite Houston so a bit more of a luxury (Muhammad has improved each season as well), I'd go after another Safety before DE though Willis was impressive last year and Odom is servicable.

I agree with the TE portion of your take. Signing a FB does not change the need for new blood at TE. All you need to do is imagine a serious injury to Doyle and you can see how bad off the Colts would be. No depth. Cox remains an intriguing enigma but that’s all. I expect  one of the first four picks in the draft to remedy this problem. 

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree with the TE portion of your take. Signing a FB does not change the need for new blood at TE. All you need to do is imagine a serious injury to Doyle and you can see how bad off the Colts would be. No depth. Cox remains an intriguing enigma but that’s all. I expect  one of the first four picks in the draft to remedy this problem. 

WR and TE are two certainties in the first four, IMO.  The other two positions taken are debatable.

I say this is even more of a reason to draft another RB. You get a guy like A.J. Dillon behind our OL with a FB yo block for him too? No one would be able to stop us from running.

20 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

If they think he can make the team, along with Mack, Hines and Wilkins, I think it does. No need to waste a pick on a running back with our need for receivers.

Wilkins seems to be in the hot seat. Lost carries his rookie year because of fumbles when he was filling in for Mack and they gave Williams the start when Mack was out this year. He’s no sure thing. Mack hasn’t played a full 16 games yet, and Hines is mostly a receiving back so the play is obvious when he’s in the backfield. Definitely need another back.

41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I say this is even more of a reason to draft another RB. You get a guy like A.J. Dillon behind our OL with a FB yo block for him too? No one would be able to stop us from running.

Wilkins seems to be in the hot seat. Lost carries his rookie year because of fumbles when he was filling in for Mack and they gave Williams the start when Mack was out this year. He’s no sure thing. Mack hasn’t played a full 16 games yet, and Hines is mostly a receiving back so the play is obvious when he’s in the backfield. Definitely need another back.

I love Zack Moss in the 5th

I don’t think Moss lasts until the 5th round. There will be a run on RBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds and he’ll be gone in that area. But I do believe the Colts take both a TE and a RB in this draft, even after signing a FB. TE early; RB later. 

7 hours ago, il vecchio said:

WR and TE are two certainties in the first four, IMO.  The other two positions taken are debatable.

I'd guess a defensive end (if we don't sign one), an offensive tackle, a quarterback, a cornerback and maybe a second receiver.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:45 PM, Orioles22 said:

So I guess you think we need to draft 6 wide receivers? 

:sarcasm:

James Develin, Kyle Juszczyk both played a significant part in the SB runs for the Patriots in 2018 season playoffs and the 49ers in the 2019 season playoffs. Love this move!!! Makes the play action more deadly, IMO. 

Now, if Parris would be healthy and we could use him like Deebo with the 49ers, along with another speedster added from the draft, we will be cooking on offense, IMO. Maybe Nyheim Hines becomes the Austin Ekeler type star this year and with both Hines and Parris in the backfield, the possibilities are huge.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, MTC said:
On 4/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, Dogg63 said:

He was listed as TE on the roster.

Correct, but he often played the role as a fullback as a lead blocker.

Sure, that's reasonable. However, using that logic then Jordan Wilkins, Nyheim Hines, Jonathan Williams, Quenton Nelson, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, and Eric Ebron all played "fullback" last season.

Archived