They've been trying to move him.

His contract is pretty healthy.

He has 4yrs left on deal.

Cap Hits for Us:

2020-$8m

2021-$12m

2022-$13m

2023-$14m

With no dead cap if we release at anytime.

It would actually cost the Rams $5m more this season, to trade him($21.8m) than it would for them to just keep him($16.8m)

Got them in pretty bad shape.

If they keep him, next year they would still have $13m dead cap if they cut him. Only save $3m if they cut him.

Just not sure I see this as a logical move by Rams, as states it gives them no salary cap relief. Still be lucky to even get a 7th Rdpick, maybe have to trade a pick for someone to take him.

If they straight out cut him, like he asked for the Rams would have a $29.8m dead cap hit.

I guess they could post june 1st cut on him and pay about $14.9m for 2 years.? Only saves $1.9m this year though.

Damn, glad we don't have their GM.

Horrible deal after horrible deal.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Cap Hits for Us:

2020-$8m

2021-$12m

2022-$13m

2023-$14m

It would actually cost the Rams $5m more this season, to trade him($21.8m) than it would for them to just keep him($16.8m)

If they keep him, next year they would still have $13m dead cap if they cut him. Only save $3m if they cut him.

Just not sure I see this as a logical move by Rams, as states it gives them no salary cap relief. Still be lucky to even get a 7th Rdpick, maybe have to trade a pick for someone to take him.

If they straight out cut him, like he asked for the Rams would have a $29.8m dead cap hit.

I guess they could post june 1st cut on him and pay about $14.9m for 2 years.? Only saves $1.9m this year though.

Yikes 

5 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I would love him, if a reasonable deal could be had. If healthy TY, him, and Campbell would make a lot of DC’s cringe

I mean its definitely feasible. Like I said his contract for us would be 4yr $47m with no guaranteed money, and would cost us a 6th or 7th, possibly even a swap of picks or something.?

We could theoretically restructure his deal and bump his $8m down to $1m this year and spread other $7m guaranteed over next 3 years.

Not to bad, if I must say.

Just now, w87r said:

I mean its definitely feasible. Like I said his contract for us would be 4yr $47m with no guaranteed money, and would cost us a 6th or 7th, possibly even a swap of picks or something.?

We could theoretically restructure his deal and bump his $8m down to $1m this year and spread other $7m guaranteed over next 3 years.

That sounds a bit better than I originally thought when I read your above post

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not bad???  What has has done to warrant that salary?  Way over paid and he is not near to being elite.  Rams r an organization thst will b in utter chaos whem they move into their new star.  Lots of fat contracts and no young talent coming up ad they traded all their #1's

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not bad???  What has has done to warrant that salary?  Way over paid and he is not near to being elite.  Rams r an organization thst will b in utter chaos whem they move into their new star.  Lots of fat contracts and no young talent coming up ad they traded all their #1's

Read more post there buddy. Thats what I said.

And yeah I dont think a 4yr $47m woth no guaranteed money on our end is to bad. 

We can literally let him play for $8m this season and cut him for no dead cap. 

Or restructure so we only pay him $2.75m this season and give him the other $7m guaranteed over the rest of the deal. Which would look like

3yr $44.75m with $5.25m guaranteed. (Horrendous), but would preserve cap space this year if need be. And easy to get out of.

I'm just laying out what can happen for people, settle down and read more post, or at least try and comprehend what is being said.

Not a bad player by any means if used correctly... my only fear per se... and it’s not to bad of a fear to have... is that he is basically TY without as much nuance to his route running. I can’t pretend to be an expert on Cooks but he has always seemed to be the “take the top off of a defense” or clear out type receiver... I do remember him having some good to great overall numbers a few years ago though...

all in all I’m more for a receiver from the draft but I wouldn’t be mad at Ballard for getting a deal done if it fit into our salary cap and team building plan...

I don't think 8M this year is a bad cap hit at all.  We can restructure TY and it would be pretty painless.  If we want to keep him we restructure the future years.  If he doesn't work out we cut him.  I don't see the why the Rams would do it with no cap relief other than moving a disgruntled player.  We can wait for Watkins to be released but there is no guarantee we get him.  This way we get our vet WR without competing with other teams.  Interesting set of circumstances. 

13 hours ago, w87r said:

Cap Hits for Us:

2020-$8m

2021-$12m

2022-$13m

2023-$14m

Their GM went all in on a SB after moving to LA and it almost worked. Probably would have if Gurley was healthy. I'd rather that than be okay with average. 

5 minutes ago, wig said:

Their GM went all in on a SB after moving to LA and it almost worked. Probably would have if Gurley was healthy. I'd rather that than be okay with average. 

You can go all in on a SB and still be responsible with your money.

15 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I would love him, if a reasonable deal could be had. If healthy TY, him, and Campbell would make a lot of DC’s cringe

Yea but they'd never be able to get better during practice because all our 6', 32"+ wingspan corners would be knocking the ball away from all of our 5'10" or less midget receivers.....:funny:

11 hours ago, Reidm said:

Brandon Cooks had 2 concussions last year. I just read hes has 5 concussions in 6 years. Yikes 

That has to be something you worry about if you're the team trading for him I would think.

Amen!

That.... plus the fact that he’s been passed around the NFL like a joint at a Grateful Dead concert?

No thanks. :thmdown:

4 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

No thanks! His cap hit, history of concussions, and being a small receiver are all the reasons to pass on him. This team needs a 6'3 6'4 big body receiver who can go up and catch Rivers 50/50 balls. Thats why it made perfect sense to bring back Funchess. 

The height of a receiver is over rated.

Those 6'3"-6'4" guys you are talking about are called tight ends.

I would rather have a receiver that can run good routes, has good hands and finds the open spot on the field.

May I remind you of Marvin Harrison? 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

The height of a receiver is over rated.

Those 6'3"-6'4" guys you are talking about are called tight ends.

I would rather have a receiver that can run good routes, has good hands and finds the open spot on the field.

May I remind you of Marvin Harrison? 

People become enamored with tall receivers for some reason. It doesn’t hurt to have, but if you’re 6’5 and can’t catch, what does it matter?

No thanks.  I am not sure what the reason is, but there is a reason a guy with his talent bounces around the league.

He signed a big time deal and he already wants out.

Love his talent but he has got to be a locker room cancer.  No other reason to explain it.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

No thanks.  I am not sure what the reason is, but there is a reason a guy with his talent bounces around the league.

He signed a big time deal and he already wants out.

Love his talent but he has got to be a locker room cancer.  No other reason to explain it.

Yep....something is off with Cooks. 

And adding the unfortunate concussion history.... this is far from the assurance we had in bringing Buckner aboard, a veteran that has actually PROVEN his high-$$$ worth.

In a draft year with the kind of WR depth there is.... there's little justification for taking any risk on Cooks.

The only downside to Cooks is the concussion history...which (admittedly) is a big risk.

But he’s a 26 year-old WR who has 1k+
receiving yards in 4/5 seasons.

He’s not TY...but his numbers compare pretty well. For a middling pick...and little gtd money...it could be a great pickup.

My goodness, he would make us electric!! With TY on one side and Paris in the slot the defense would have heart failure. Get a quality TE and we'd be freaking unstoppable. He's the speed guy that takes the top off and can really open things up for TY and Paris, and Rivers would have a filed day.. I wonder what the Rams would want? They gave up a #1, and he's a quality player. I'd offer out 3rd and see if they bite..

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The only downside to Cooks is the concussion history...which (admittedly) is a big risk.

But he’s a 26 year-old WR who has 1k+
receiving yards in 4/5 seasons.

He’s not TY...but his numbers compare pretty well. For a middling pick...and little gtd money...it could be a great pickup.

No there is a problem with him besides injuries.  He's got to be a locker room cancer or something.  He has great talent, has been in the league 5 years and has been with 3 different teams in that time and wants out of his 3rd team to go to a 4th team.  

No one with that kind of talent gets traded that much without there being an underlying reason.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

No there is a problem with him besides injuries.  He's got to be a locker room cancer or something.  He has great talent, has been in the league 5 years and has been with 3 different teams in that time and wants out of his 3rd team to go to a 4th team.  

No one with that kind of talent gets traded that much without there being an underlying reason.

To be fair...we have no idea what the context of that tweet was. I would guess it could apply to the majority of Americans...during this pandemic.

It has never been reported that he was a locker room cancer...he left his previous two teams on good terms. Also, I don't think two different teams would have given 1st round picks if he was a locker room cancer.

I just don't think his first two teams wanted to pay him at the level he wanted...which is not all too uncommon.

And the third team did pay him...and (through a series of several moves) has put themselves in a bad situation where they might have to trade Cooks to get a pick/s and future cap relief...not really Cooks' fault.

For what it's worth...the LAR said they aren't shopping him...which makes sense...because the return won't be there.

Archived