Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Dingus McGirt

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

was about 40 mins ago now, but it sounded like he thinks Luck is done 

He's been the one saying that more than Irsay. 

But he's the GM.  Its his job to plan and put the pieces in place.  I'm sure he is a bit * at Luck for leaving him in a tough spot, and probably doesn't really want him back thinking that Luck could just up and do that again. 

Ballard has probably moved on even more than Luck has. He's got a job to do and can't be thinking about a waffler.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard says he does not regret keeping Vinateri, even though he was awful. I don't understand Ballard. He seems to be fine losing games because of terrible kicking. 

Ballard is stubborn I’m losing faith in him and this organization. Ballard won’t be around long if he don’t stop babying players especially his QB

• Like 3

Ballard deserves some slack over AV.  AV knows better than any GM whether or not he can still kick or not.  A GM just has to figure out if AV was being honest.

And IIRC, there wasn't any kicker better than an inconsistent AV available until we claimed our current K.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Ballard is stubborn I’m losing faith in him and this organization. Ballard won’t be around long if he don’t stop babying players especially his QB

He just got done saying Brissett has to play better. Should he trash him in the press conference? He also said that they will be looking into QBs in the draft like he does every year. Ballard isn't stupid, he knows this team needs a great QB to compete.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Also liked he said he doesn’t like the roster. Do I see an actual free agency signing this year? Cough cough Armstead

I haven't listened yet, so not a reflection of Ballard's comments... but I don't see him spending big money on someone like Armstead. I happen to think very little of Armstead as a player, and I don't see him as a game changer that Ballard would be bringing in to make the team better. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

He just got done saying Brissett has to play better. Should he trash him in the press conference? He also said that they will be looking into QBs in the draft like he does every year. Ballard isn't stupid, he knows this team needs a great QB to compete.

Need more than a QB also on this team. We have some pretty significant flaws

Just now, Superman said:

I haven't listened yet, so not a reflection of Ballard's comments... but I don't see him spending big money on someone like Armstead. I happen to think very little of Armstead as a player, and I don't see him as a game changer that Ballard would be bringing in to make the team better. 

he's going to do what he's always done since he's been here. It's funny because he's very up front about all that. He's not against going after high priced players but they have to be the right players. And he won't over spend for them. 

Plus he's got some players on this roster who are going to be making a whole lot more in the next couple years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard deserves some slack over AV.  AV knows better than any GM whether or not he can kick or not.  A GM just has to figure out if AV was being honest.

And IIRC, there wasn't any kicker better than an inconsistent AV available until we claimed our current K.

To the first bolded:

So we are at the point where players do self evaluation and make the decision on their fate? Obviously, AV was not able to do an honest assessment of himself.

To the second bolded:

Except there were. Woo and McClaughlin both came in and kicked in week 3 tryouts. Both proved to be a much better option than AV.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Summing it up, in advance.

"We love Jacoby Brissett.  He's a great leader in the locker room, and a great human being.  He's our starting quarterback going forward."

No that isn’t what he said. He said the jury is still out on him. He said as of NOW he is the starter next year. That says a lot that they are looking to upgrade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am shocked with his honesty on Jacoby. Not to give any hints away about the draft I did not expect him to be so straight forward. His comments on Ebron are funny.

I also thought that was funny with Ebron. 

In regards to Jacoby, he was very honest, Good at times, needs to be better, is the starter for now but we are always looking to upgrade if the player is available.

• Like 1

Just now, coltsva said:

To the first bolded:

So we are at the point where players do self evaluation and make the decision on their fate? Obviously, AV was not able to do an honest assessment of himself.

To the second bolded:

Except there were. Woo and McClaughlin both came in and kicked in week 3 tryouts. Both proved to be a much better option than AV.

No, not all players.  But AV can tell management whether or not his leg is hurt enough to where that is the cause of the problems.  Anybody can see that he was inconsistent, but yes, you can rely upon a vet to say whether or not he thinks its a short term thing or if the leg is truly done.

If he's lying to Ballard to hang around and get 600 FGs, that has to be considered.

If you don't know that the leg is done in week 3, then the tryouts are looked at with less desperation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

he's going to do what he's always done since he's been here. It's funny because he's very up front about all that. He's not against going after high priced players but they have to be the right players. And he won't over spend for them. 

Plus he's got some players on this roster who are going to be making a whole lot more in the next couple years. 

Agreed. I don't think Armstead fits the profile. If Buckner were available, absolutely. Armstead is very meh, and before this season had no noteworthy production. He's like the "straight to video" version of Buckner. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No that isn’t what he said. He said the jury is still out on him. He said as of NOW he is the starter next year. That says a lot that they are looking to upgrade.

Correct.  He's talking about NOW, because JB is under contract and he is the best QB on the roster.

Just like NOW, we are very thin at TE and WR because Ebron and Funchess contracts will expire.  We can't really field a roster with the WRs and TEs we have (at least by the beginning of the new league year)

We WILL add a TE and a WR before spring training.  Its just a matter of whether it will be the same guys we had last year, different FAs, or if they will be added via the draft.

But we know it won't be Ebron, so we will definitely be adding a new TE either via FA or the draft. 

Based upon what Ballard just said about Ebron, TE has become a position of need, IMO.  I doubt we roll with just Doyle, Allie-Cox, and Travis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No, not all players.  But AV can tell management whether or not his leg is hurt enough to where that is the cause of the problems.  Anybody can see that he was inconsistent, but yes, you can rely upon a vet to say whether or not he thinks its a short term thing or if the leg is truly done.

If he's lying to Ballard to hang around and get 600 FGs, that has to be considered.

If you don't know that the leg is done in week 3, then the tryouts are looked at with less desperation.

What could Ballard say today about the issues he can't throw players under the bus in a press conference.  he has to say Jacoby the starting quarterback otherwise teams will think that we're going to take a quarterback early.  it's all a smoke screen till the draft and free agency which starts very soon. Let him be a general manager

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Chris Jones is the 1 player I wouldn't mind breaking the bank for. Hopefully since Ballard has ties to him he is very interested in him if he tests free agency. DT usually isn't among the highest paid in regards to positions. Pass rushers make the most along with CBs on defense if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 2

I think the most interesting part was that Ballard told you exactly what he thought of Jacoby.  He thinks he did alot of good things, he doesn't count 2017 and views him as a 1st year starter.  He said he needs to be better, needs to improve and still has alot to prove and that he will be the starter for 2020, as of now

He went on to say that he will look at QBs in the draft, just like he does every year.  No different. He will not force it though at 13 and just take one to take one.  This goes with his BPA strategy that he has used before.

Finally, he also said that he feels no pressure to even take a QB this offseason, if he doesn't see one that he feels is a legit QB and can improve the position, he will pass.

(Side note)- I really like that he did not want to comment on his involvement in the selection of Patrick Mahomes. I feel like was respectable and that a lesser GM would have tried to take more credit for that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Chris Jones is the 1 player I wouldn't mind breaking the bank for. Hopefully since Ballard has ties to him he is very interested in him if he tests free agency. DT usually isn't among the highest paid in regards to positions. Pass rushers make the most along with CBs on defense if I'm not mistaken. 

To me, Chris Jones is the kind of guy that doesn't hit the market, and I expect the Chiefs to do what they need to do to make room for him. But if they let him walk, absolutely, open the vault for him. That's a difference maker, but we're also probably talking about the Aaron Donald contract to get him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Everyone keeps saying Irsay better get used to empty seats.  If Jacoby shows even a slight improvement, Chase shows a slight improvement in the kicking game( which he already has), then the Colts will probably go 10-6 and make the playoffs.  People will show for a playoff team

Not with the defense we seen in the last quarter of the season.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I like how fired up Ballard's getting about giving up big shots! 

It's kind of surprising why he's not as * off that we had almost no big shots ourselves. If he hates giving up big shots this much, isn't it reasonable to expect to want our QB to make as many big shots too? Especially having in mind not all defenses we face take away the deep field like ours is supposed to do? 

Just now, Superman said:

To me, Chris Jones is the kind of guy that doesn't hit the market, and I expect the Chiefs to do what they need to do to make room for him. But if they let him walk, absolutely, open the vault for him. That's a difference maker, but we're also probably talking about the Aaron Donald contract to get him.

Yep....but sometimes you have to do that...as long as it's the right person. Then draft a Derrick Brown/Javon Kinlaw( if possible). 

Makes me think Hunt is gone. Stewart is playing himself into an extension, not massive but he's been really solid. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am stunned ballard is this honest and not keeping anything a secret.

Yes.  He's saying he likes all of the Qbs that will be drafted ahead of us.  He said he likes them,  not that we're seriously considering them.

He liked Saquon Barkley too.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

You are overly optimistic ... they may stop the bleeding on season ticket holders, but they won't be picking up many either.  Single game sales will be down as well. I usually go to ~3 games a year; I might go to 1 if JB is QB and I have talked to others of thinking similarly. 

We dropped our ST’s two seasons ago and didn’t miss it. So glad I didn’t have them for this season, kinda missed them a little bit in the 2018 season. Doubt we ever own ST again, just too expensive for the 10 events we would attend. 

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's been the one saying that more than Irsay. 

But he's the GM.  Its his job to plan and put the pieces in place.  I'm sure he is a bit * at Luck for leaving him in a tough spot, and probably doesn't really want him back thinking that Luck could just up and do that again. 

Ballard has probably moved on even more than Luck has. He's got a job to do and can't be thinking about a waffler.

I made a post in the Luck thread and it might have come off somewhat wrong, this is what I was getting at there. On a bottom line level, the team had to have at least conflicted feelings about the situation as opposed to "dawww Andy is just the best", which is fine to a point, but in the context of what the football team is trying to do, probably wasn't the first feeling.

• Like 1

Very honest about Jacoby and Malik. Fans can breathe a sigh of relief if they thought Ballard was just locked into Jacoby. 

His statement on not forcing a QB pick was interesting. To me that doesn’t sound like a guy taking a QB at 13, and certainly doesn’t sound like he’s trading up for one either. If I got anything out of that presser in terms of him tipping his hat on draft day (grasping at straws here for the sake of conversation), it’s that if Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw are there at 13, they’re running the card in.

Great presser overall. Very honest talk from Ballard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very honest about Jacoby and Malik. Fans can breathe a sigh of relief if they thought Ballard was just locked into Jacoby. 

His statement on not forcing a QB pick was interesting. To me that doesn’t sound like a guy taking a QB at 13, and certainly doesn’t sound like he’s trading up for one either. If I got anything out of that presser in terms of him tipping his hat on draft day (grasping at straws here for the sake of conversation), it’s that if Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw are there at 13, they’re running the card in.

Great presser overall. Very honest talk from Ballard.

This is what I gathered too...especially re: the interior D line. 

This years first round will be interesting for sure. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not definitive, but doesn't sound like a guy itching to move up for a QB...

IMO it was about what I expected - he didn't offer some glowing defense of Jacoby, but didn't throw him under the bus either, he didn't say Jacoby is our starter going forward, didn't dismiss QB draft questions either though... Keep in mind that he probably would like to not show his hand for the draft either. He even said something to that effect on a question about how aggresive he will be in the draft. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think people are going to misconstrue what Ballard has said about Jacoby being the starter right now and that they will be looking at QBs in the draft.  Ballard was very specific, that they are always looking to upgrade any position, IF THE PLAYER IS THERE.  He was specific that they will not reach.

you are just gullible and love JB lol

Haven't listened to it yet, but...

Given the above and some of the other reports I read, him not coming out and saying clearly that JB is the guy in 2020, should tell you more than anything else. 

He's not going to tip his hat on drafting a QB, or who, but I'd lay some money it happens. I just hope they get a DT early too.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've read a few articles that think he could hit the market. with the cap they have and guys they like behind him I'd love to have him 

• Like 1