Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Built on Defense

BleedBlue4Shoe86

The more I read about Ballard and the more I listen to Colts podcast, the more I believe that Ballard will got get some offensive weapons in the draft, build around JB on offense. But more importantly I believe that he will continue to build the whole team around the defense. Everyone says the defense is his baby and he wants to have a top 5 defense. I truly believe that is his goal. 

looking at defense there are players to like. 
Need DT

Turay

Okereke

Houston

Leonard

Walker

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Khari

Monster defense with an average to above average game manager at QB. You can win in the league that way. Not sexy and not the way we have done it before, but could be great. Ballard is all about the 22 not 1 player. Can’t wait to see what he does this offseason. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The more I read about Ballard and the more I listen to Colts podcast, the more I believe that Ballard will got get some offensive weapons in the draft, build around JB on offense. But more importantly I believe that he will continue to build the whole team around the defense. Everyone says the defense is his baby and he wants to have a top 5 defense. I truly believe that is his goal. 

Need DT

Turay

Okereke

Houston

Leonard

Walker

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Khari

Monster defense with an average to above average game manager at QB. You can win in the league that way. Not sexy and not the way we have done it before, but could be great. Ballard is all about the 22 not 1 player. Can’t wait to see what he does this offseason. 

Thoughts?

I agree, but also think JB has to get better accuracy and seeing open players to solid up a balanced offense. But a smash you in the mouth defense would be amazing 

9 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The more I read about Ballard and the more I listen to Colts podcast, the more I believe that Ballard will got get some offensive weapons in the draft, build around JB on offense.

im hoping for tua or love, probably setting myself up for disappointment

hard to be excited if they do what you mentioned.  i think tua would be very good here and love could be with some mentoring 

i dont think that would stop us from getting better on defense 

11 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Need DT

Turay

Okereke

Houston

Leonard

Walker

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Khari

Thoughts?

I think it would be a mistake to bank on Brissett.   I think he is well below average.  

I do think the defensive personnel is better than some are saying.   Unfortunately, when you are 30th in passing yards per game, it gives the opposing offense extra options.   The scheme wasn't good this year either.   

Brissett ball is .500 football. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Need DT

Turay

Okereke

Houston

Leonard

Walker

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Khari

Thoughts?

So I am in the camp of obtain your DT to really complete the defensive plan. I don’t care where we get the pieces to fix the team, whether it be draft or FA or is there a player on the team that was injured that can come back to make that difference. My feeling is that player isn’t anywhere on the team and what FA DT stud will be available? I think you get it in the draft, 1st pick. 

so to stay with the theme of all 22 guys, you definitely have to have just a bit more emphasis on the QB position.  It can be a game manager but it has to be a competent starter. JB has not fit that bill to date, he is way to erratic and blind to 3/4 of the field. I’ll take a QB who only throws 6-10 yards all day but has an ability to find his open receivers and find them quickly and decisively. JB doesn’t do that either. Every QB has the ability to chuck a ball downfield 20+ yards and on occasion hit it to loosen up a defense a bit and that’s fine with me. Having Manning again to hit those type of plays often would be great however, I don’t see is getting that guy again soon. 

you say draft a guy in round one to be your future do you? What if that guy has many holes in his game and has potential but hasn’t been able to display it fully yet? Doesn’t the guy we have as a bench guy now have those same designations for his career? Kelly has many of the traits as the guys coming out that are first round risks. Why would a team draft another guy with such risk when you’ve already got that risk on the team to try and develop? He showed everything you wanted in camp and preseason, why not develop it? Is the team so stubborn they have ignored how badly JB played and how well Kelly played in his chances just to try and show they were right (or wrong imho) In sticking with JB? If you’re risking a first rounder on a QB with upside, Kelly has exactly all of that written on his as well and he is under contract. I say build that defense up with those high picks and the oline. Never forget the trenches, they are the initial lines of both sides. Once the opposing guys get past the initial lines, you never know what’s happening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Everyone says he wants a top 5 defense?
Seems to me that type of D would have several Pro Bowl starters with a couple among the best in the NFL. Your list leaves me more worried than confident.
 CB will go hard for 2,3,4 of the best available in FA i expect. Hopefully we will have something to jump up and down about when it is over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Bad take. You need an explosive offense to win these days. Without an elite QB, you are not a contender. Other teams have tried, and failed to win with a monster defense. Very hard to accomplish.

the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos prove you wrong...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Bad take. You need an explosive offense to win these days. Without an elite QB, you are not a contender. Other teams have tried, and failed to win with a monster defense. Very hard to accomplish.

Furthermore, lets see what the NFL says.

"Defensive Rank

• The average NFL defensive rank for an eventual Super Bowl champion is 6.8 (seventh).

• The top-ranked defense has REACHED the Super Bowl 11 times and is 8-3 in the Super Bowl."

"8 of 47 Superbowl winners were ranked #1 on Defense"

"

Points Allowed

• The team allowing the fewest points during the season has REACHED the Super Bowl 18 times and is 13-5 in the Super Bowl.

Sacks

• 45 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have totaled at least 30 sacks in a season."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowlchamps/defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Furthermore, lets see what the NFL says.

"Defensive Rank

• The average NFL defensive rank for an eventual Super Bowl champion is 6.8 (seventh).

• The top-ranked defense has REACHED the Super Bowl 11 times and is 8-3 in the Super Bowl."

"8 of 47 Superbowl winners were ranked #1 on Defense"

"

Points Allowed

• The team allowing the fewest points during the season has REACHED the Super Bowl 18 times and is 13-5 in the Super Bowl.

Sacks

• 45 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have totaled at least 30 sacks in a season."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowlchamps/defense

The reasons for this correlation is that it reduces the margin for error for the QB, who even while being elite, isn't forced to carry the team in the playoffs. Every now and then, you will have a Joe Flacco like run but most of the time, a QB and running game that can help dictate time of possession with the right reads to move the chains is far more key than a QB that must score 30 points to win in the playoffs.

In short, the D helps keep the game from getting out of hand for the QB to win more often than the QB keeping the game from getting out of hand for the D to win it. Eli's 2 SB runs show that as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Now lets look at the Offense stats...

"• The top-ranked offense has REACHED the Super Bowl 14 times and is 8-6 in the Super Bowl.

• The average NFL offensive rank for an eventual Super Bowl champion is 7.9 (eighth).

Running Game

• 34 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have been ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per game.

• Only four of the 47 Super Bowl champions have featured the NFL’s leading rusher"

Gee so Ballard wants a team that can be a top 10 defense and a top 10 Running offense. i wonder why that is...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

2001 Ravens, last year Super Bowl was a defensive battle, 2015 Broncos 2013 Seahawks

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The reasons for this correlation is that it reduces the margin for error for the QB, who even while being elite, isn't forced to carry the team in the playoffs. Every now and then, you will have a Joe Flacco like run but most of the time, a QB and running game that can help dictate time of possession with the right reads to move the chains is far more key than a QB that must score 30 points to win in the playoffs.

see my next post haha

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Lets also not forget to include teams that make it to the playoffs so they have a chance.

Just this year alone 5/10 of the top 10 defenses made the playoffs

Patriots

Bills

49ers

Ravens

Eagles

There seems to be genuine resistance on here about the benefits of having a top defense and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's because the colts have generally been built on offense with a defense that does just enough over the past couple of decades. 

I don't think it's difficult generally;

If you have a top defense who can control and limit the opposition QB then you're a play off team, if you have an elite QB than can allow those around him to overachieve then you're a play off team. If you have both then you're a Superbowl contender.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the best teams are balanced and effective on both sides of the ball. 

I'm hoping Ballard is looking to draft or  bring in a couple free agents  game changers on the defensive side of the ball.

At one time the colts were called a soft team but, the online has become known as physical.  Time for the defensive to have that same presence, like when you play the colts it's going to be a physical game, a dog fight.  Ask the teams that have to play teams like the Ravens or Pittsburgh!  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos prove you wrong...

I would argue Wilson and Manning are/were elite QBs.  Put to the point of the OP, we have two All-Pro guys on defense....gonna need a few more of those, and it starts up front.  The more pressure we can produce, we can start making our other guys look better.  Hopefully Turay returns to form and continues to produce at a high level while avoiding injury, and we get a game changer DT, either through the draft or FA.

JB signed for 2 seasons. I think we grab our guy in the later rounds or via FA for the 2020 season. At 13 Ballard may trade out or pick a stud for the defense. I’d be okay with whatever happens. I’ve seen growth with a few draft picks he has selected. It gives me hope with the process. He also will continue to fix the WR depth. It was a shame what happened to Funchess. Team overall has to remain healthy. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 6:07 AM, aaron11 said:

im hoping for tua or love, probably setting myself up for disappointment

hard to be excited if they do what you mentioned.  i think tua would be very good here and love could be with some mentoring 

i dont think that would stop us from getting better on defense 

I didn't think Tua would be a good pro prior to his last injury and now I really have my doubts on him.  He's not very big (listed at 6'1") and he seems a bit injury prone to me.  I didn't think he was fit to be a good NFL guy prior to his hip injury (they say he'll recover fine from it, but it's almost the same injury Bo Jackson ended his career on).  Maybe it's just me, but I'd be very concerned about Tua staying healthy and having a long and productive NFL career.

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Thanks @csmopar for your links and information.  The past 20 years are a bit of an anomaly with the Pats being so good for so long with the same QB and coach.... and sure, Brady is an elite QB, but all his SB teams have had very good defenses.

Let's look at some of the other teams since 2000 who have won or gone to the SB who didn't have an elite QB (I bolded all non-elite QBs):

2000: Trent Dilfer (Champ) vs. Kerry Collins -- neither of these guys were elite, both teams had very good D's (Dilfer's D in Balt is arguably the best of all time),

2001: Brady over Warner (both HOF QBs, NE had a very good defense to stop the fastest show on turf),

2002: Brad Johnson over Rich Gannon (Brad Johnson game-managed a win and had a tremendous D with Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Booger McFarland, etc.),

2003: Brady over Delhomme,

2004: BRady over McNabb,

2005: Roethlisberger over Matt Hasselbeck (Big Ben is elite, but that Pitt D was nasty),

2006: Peyton Manning over Rex Grossman,

2007: Eli over Brady (I'll call Eli elite, though questionable.. unquestionable was the NYG had the best pass rush in the NFL by far that year),

2008: Roethlisberger over Warner,

2009: Brees over Peyton,

2010: Rodgers over Roethlisberger,

2011: Eli over Brady (again questionable that Eli is elite, but he had a very good D),

2012: Flacco over Kaepernick (Flacco is not an elite QB, though he did have a tremendous playoff run this year and he was supported by a superb D),

2013: Wilson over Manning (I think Wilson is borderline elite),

2014; BRady over Wilson (again, Wilson is borderline elite, I'd say his D got him there),

2015: Manning over Newton (Peyton at this point was a game-manager with a great D, Newton had a very good year, but I struggle calling him elite),

2016: Brady over Matt Ryan,

2017: Nick Foles over Brady (Foles had a nice game, he was also the backup and is not an elite QB),

2018: Brady over Goff

If you take out Brady and the Pats' 6 SB wins, 5 of 13 superbowl winning QBs were not elite, and I'd say Eli and Wilson are questionable (so potentially 8 of 13 SB winning QBs were not elite).  

The only teams in there who won the SB and did not have a very good D, IMO, were the 2006 Colts (we did have a few very good players but no pro-bowlers or all-pros on D and we were in the lower half of the league in yards/game and pts/game allowed), and the 2009 Saints and 2010 Packers (both these teams were lead by their future HOF QBs).

On the losing end, you see guys like Rex Grossman, Jake DelHomme, Kerry Collins, McNabb (he was actually pretty good when he got to the SB but not an elite career), Kaepernick, Gannon, Hasselbeck, etc..  guys that got to the SB due to having very good Defenses.

So yea, it helps to have a good/elite QB, but there are a lot of non-elite (in some instances not top-half in the league) QBs who make it to (and win) SBs with elite defenses. 

• Like 1

I look at Manning's Colts.  Best regular season record for about  decade I think.  Lots of playoff appearances, not as much success.  The year we won the SB the defense and the running game somehow turned it into high gear and were very successful during the playoff run.  

So - you need to be very good on both sides of the ball to have a good chance of a SB victory.  We will need a stud QB - but if we have a better chance of putting together that defense this year rather than trying to draft a QB I am good with that. 

I like to use Seattle as an example for that model.  When Wilson showed up the team was a pretty good team with a tough defense.  Wilson fit right in and was pretty successful from the start.  In addition it helps a young QB to take some of the pressure off.  I think most of us would agree Brady also benefited from a team that was pretty good with a tough defense his first few years.

We have all seen too many young QBs go to bad/mediocre teams and then fail miserably.  

Anyway - building the defense this year works for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I didn't think Tua would be a good pro prior to his last injury and now I really have my doubts on him.  He's not very big (listed at 6'1") and he seems a bit injury prone to me.  I didn't think he was fit to be a good NFL guy prior to his hip injury (they say he'll recover fine from it, but it's almost the same injury Bo Jackson ended his career on).  Maybe it's just me, but I'd be very concerned about Tua staying healthy and having a long and productive NFL career.

Thanks @csmopar for your links and information.  The past 20 years are a bit of an anomaly with the Pats being so good for so long with the same QB and coach.... and sure, Brady is an elite QB, but all his SB teams have had very good defenses.

Let's look at some of the other teams since 2000 who have won or gone to the SB who didn't have an elite QB (I bolded all non-elite QBs):

2000: Trent Dilfer (Champ) vs. Kerry Collins -- neither of these guys were elite, both teams had very good D's (Dilfer's D in Balt is arguably the best of all time),

2001: Brady over Warner (both HOF QBs, NE had a very good defense to stop the fastest show on turf),

2002: Brad Johnson over Rich Gannon (Brad Johnson game-managed a win and had a tremendous D with Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Booger McFarland, etc.),

2003: Brady over Delhomme,

2004: BRady over McNabb,

2005: Roethlisberger over Matt Hasselbeck (Big Ben is elite, but that Pitt D was nasty),

2006: Peyton Manning over Rex Grossman,

2007: Eli over Brady (I'll call Eli elite, though questionable.. unquestionable was the NYG had the best pass rush in the NFL by far that year),

2008: Roethlisberger over Warner,

2009: Brees over Peyton,

2010: Rodgers over Roethlisberger,

2011: Eli over Brady (again questionable that Eli is elite, but he had a very good D),

2012: Flacco over Kaepernick (Flacco is not an elite QB, though he did have a tremendous playoff run this year and he was supported by a superb D),

2013: Wilson over Manning (I think Wilson is borderline elite),

2014; BRady over Wilson (again, Wilson is borderline elite, I'd say his D got him there),

2015: Manning over Newton (Peyton at this point was a game-manager with a great D, Newton had a very good year, but I struggle calling him elite),

2016: Brady over Matt Ryan,

2017: Nick Foles over Brady (Foles had a nice game, he was also the backup and is not an elite QB),

2018: Brady over Goff

If you take out Brady and the Pats' 6 SB wins, 5 of 13 superbowl winning QBs were not elite, and I'd say Eli and Wilson are questionable (so potentially 8 of 13 SB winning QBs were not elite).  

The only teams in there who won the SB and did not have a very good D, IMO, were the 2006 Colts (we did have a few very good players but no pro-bowlers or all-pros on D and we were in the lower half of the league in yards/game and pts/game allowed), and the 2009 Saints and 2010 Packers (both these teams were lead by their future HOF QBs).

On the losing end, you see guys like Rex Grossman, Jake DelHomme, Kerry Collins, McNabb (he was actually pretty good when he got to the SB but not an elite career), Kaepernick, Gannon, Hasselbeck, etc..  guys that got to the SB due to having very good Defenses.

So yea, it helps to have a good/elite QB, but there are a lot of non-elite (in some instances not top-half in the league) QBs who make it to (and win) SBs with elite defenses. 

Colts defense in 2006 had some all-pros in Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis and Bob Sanders in my opinion.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Colts defense in 2006 had some all-pros in Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis and Bob Sanders in my opinion.

2006 was one of Freeney's worst years, he recorded 5.5 sacks over 16 games.  Mathis had 9.5 sacks.  Neither were pro-bowlers or all-pro that year.

Sanders only played 4 regular season games.  Our run D was the worst in the NFL in the regular season, allowing over 100 yards per game every week of regular season.  Sanders came back for the playoffs and made a huge play in the AFC Championship to get us the ball back w/ ~3 min left when we were down 3 and then he had a forced fumble in the SB and played a very nice game.  He wasn't a pro-bowler or all-pro in 2006, though he played like it in the playoffs.

The only 'all-pros' on that roster were Marvin (1st team), Peyton (2nd team), Saturday (3rd team).  Those 3 also made the probowl with Tarik Glenn and Reggie.  So, no, we had no all-pros or pro-bowlers on that team's D.

Sanders did win defensive player of year in 2007 and it seemed like he did carry playoff momentum from 2006 along with him.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 7:51 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Need DT

Turay

Okereke

Houston

Leonard

Walker

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Khari

Thoughts?

I'll throw in a guess. 

I think the first two/three picks will be offense, I heard CB say he owes Frank weapons on offense.  I expect the first two if not three picks to be WR, QB, and OT.  I expect us to address defense in FA with some veteran leadership.  I thought CB was very thoughtful and retrospective in his presser.  Loosing guys like Mitchell and Woods that could have been re-signed was a mistake and frankly an unnecessary one for us as we had the cap space and they were not expensive guys.  Ballard tends to be pretty forthright with the media.

So, my guess is, we load up on offense in the draft and spend some money on D in FA.  I wouldn't be surprised to get a veteran DT like Suh or McCoy on a one or two year deal.  

On 1/2/2020 at 10:06 AM, waittilnextyear said:

Everyone says he wants a top 5 defense?
Seems to me that type of D would have several Pro Bowl starters with a couple among the best in the NFL. Your list leaves me more worried than confident.
 CB will go hard for 2,3,4 of the best available in FA i expect. Hopefully we will have something to jump up and down about when it is over. 

If he goes hard after some of the best available on the defensive line, then you will see multiple probowl starters in the next few years on defense from that list. Turay looked like a probowler to me until his injury, which was devastating for this team, IMO. A strong defensive line makes probowlers in Leonard, Hooker, and likely Willis in the future. Ya-Sin improved consistently this season. i can't wait to see what he does with a full offseason. He's going to be a consummate professional in how he approaches the game. He'll get there with time.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:15 AM, csmopar said:

Now lets look at the Offense stats...

"• The top-ranked offense has REACHED the Super Bowl 14 times and is 8-6 in the Super Bowl.

• The average NFL offensive rank for an eventual Super Bowl champion is 7.9 (eighth).

Running Game

• 34 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have been ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per game.

• Only four of the 47 Super Bowl champions have featured the NFL’s leading rusher"

Gee so Ballard wants a team that can be a top 10 defense and a top 10 Running offense. i wonder why that is...

I looked at SB results as well since 2000, and almost posted rankings of D, O, and QB. Moral of the story is you need then all to be good to great. Not all have to be elite. IIRC, the instances of a non-Top 15 QB winning a SB were pretty rare. When I have time later this week, I might dig it out and finish it.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:56 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Good lord. Can we not turn every thread into a Jacoby thread. This is about a top 5 defensive team and would you take it. 

To be fair, you didn't limit your OP to talking about purely a top 5 D. You also added....

So if your premise in the OP is improving all units or position groups aside from QB, you're going to get discussion on the QB as many don't buy into the base of your premise.

Unfortunately

JB MAY be the best we can get for the start of 2020

Getting a top 15 QB is hard work........ and is somewhat lucky

I would be happy if they opened up the competition to include CK

AND

Drafted a development QB......

While using top draft capitol on building DL/WR/OT 

Imagine our record if we would have this activity on DL

AND better QB play

He has some great plays against Alabama and Georgia...... two of the better OLs in college football 

He gets double teams every play