Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Foles

TimetobringDfence!

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

While this is a good option, Bridgewater is another Brissett, he threw primarily to Michael Thomas in the intermediate range and to his RBs and TEs, that was it. He does not stretch the field like Drew Brees does, sound familiar???

Bridgewater wouldnt be bad, but the guy I’d take a look at from N.O. Is Taysom Hill! Good things seem to happen whenever that guy touches the ball! Granted he’s only used as a trick play/running qb, he would be worth a good look at!

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't think those pockets show how the routes run by the wide outs are progressing though. If they could get a shot of the guy coming open for a second before Jacoby sees them, it might be more helpful. I am not saying it is good or bad but I don't think we get the whole picture here.

I agree that they're not 100% conclusive, but interpreting what I can see, it looks like Brissett should be able to hit Wilkins (#20) quickly, in rhythm for a nice gain with YAC on 1st down there.

In the second photo, Johnson (#83) is just coming out of his break, and the corner is just now reacting by coming out of his backpedal.  In theory, the ball should already be almost to Johnson's chest at this point (if the QB is properly progressing through his reads and getting the ball out on time).

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that JB is even looking his way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Bridgewater wouldnt be bad, but the guy I’d take a look at from N.O. Is Taysom Hill! Good things seem to happen whenever that guy touches the ball! Granted he’s only used as a trick play/running qb, he would be worth a good look at!

Too small of a sample space to hand the keys to the kingdom, IMO. Draft is the way to go to get QBs with upside. I might as well give Chad Kelly a chance then, to groom someone familiar with our system.

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

To be fair, the WRs were all healthy though...

We had injuries last year also. Doyle missed 10 games, Ty missed 2 more games this year. Grant missed games, MOC and our other TE missed games. We picked Inman up after 7 games due to injury. My main objection to the post was to say no great QB in their prime could survive with these receivers and TEs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Texans game is meaningless  when you don't  win it all.

To me any playoff win is valuable to a franchise. They are tough to come by. Just because a team doesn't win the SB doesn't make a season meaningless. That win at Houston last season in the playoffs felt great, just like the win Luck got in Denver in 2014.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We basically need three new WR. TY, pascal, and Campbell should all be back. Draft another no later then the second and find another FA. I think Rogers will not be back since Hines is returning kicks really well.

As long as Brissett won't be back, things are looking up.

57 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I respectfully disagree. 

Even though the WR talent isn't great, Reich is scheming guys open and JB is flat-out missing them.  Game after game.  It's not even a trend now, it's the rule.  Hitting a few guys on one drive is the rare exception.

And he has a dream pocket to throw from, more often than not.  He's just slow processing and delivering in there.

A better QB could've put up 30 points against that Titans defense yesterday with how the defense was giving the offense opportunities early in the game.

Plausible.  However, let's get JB some dependable targets and see if he still has issues getting the ball out of your hands.  One of the things that can make a QB hesitate is not having confidence for your guy to beat his man.  I want to eliminate that possibility before blaming 1 guy for what looks to me like a squad failure.

4 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What is the possibilities of the Colts aquiring Foles. I think he IS A WAY better QB than Brissett. Much higher cieling and has history with Riech. Maybe we push for him and he can be the right guy for us.

I think the possibility of the Colts acquiring Foles is somewhere between 0 and 1%. 

5 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

As long as Brissett won't be back, things are looking up.

Even if they draft a QB, Brissett will be back.  He's not perfect, but he did enough before he got hurt to demonstrate that he an hold down the position for the time being.

You don't throw away a starting QB with contract years left unless you have a guaranteed impact player to replace him with right now.  Exactly 0 of the QBs likely to fall into our draft range are that kind of impact arm.

Realistically in the fallout of Luck's retirement our contention window is 2 years away.  It was an accomplishment of a sort to even push this team into contention territory before the train wreck happened.

The whole team is young and still learning the game.  It was a stretch to hope we could contend under these circumstances, and instead of getting lucky, we got slammed by injuries that completely derailed us.  Until that happened we were finding ways to win, and if we stayed healthy I don't think we fall off the cliff like we have in the last 4 games.

Ultimately, this is a lost season due to bad luck with injuries.  Including the injury to Brissett which kinda helped turn a "just enough to win" guy into a "just barely not enough to win" guy.  Frustrating, but it just turns out that way sometimes

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Plausible.  However, let's get JB some dependable targets and see if he still has issues getting the ball out of your hands.  One of the things that can make a QB hesitate is not having confidence for your guy to beat his man.  I want to eliminate that possibility before blaming 1 guy for what looks to me like a squad failure.

Let's not...and just get rid of JB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

He ruined a few guys already.... Doyle, Ebron, Hilton..... Hell, Hilton was pretty on track for a career low in yards before he got hurt.....

9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I’m in 100% agreement that WR needs to be addressed because Funchess and Campbell are unknowns due to injuries, and T.Y. has had 2 injury-plagued seasons back-to-back.  

However, open targets are open targets, and the film/screenshots of Jacoby failing to capitalize on these open targets with clean pockets are piling up.  I don’t ever expect Reich or Ballard to criticize Jacoby publicly, but the sample size on Brissett (nearly 2 full seasons as a starter) is pretty conclusive now.  Some of the behaviors and tendencies he has exhibited exist independent of the talent at the skill positions.

I don’t think that’s unfair to say.  That said, there’s definitely merit to your argument that better skill talent provides more opportunities for Brissett to decide on whether to pull the trigger.  

However, Brissett has also had the benefit of a top 3 running game and extra defenders in the box, which theoretically should make explosive passing play opportunities easier.

What intrigues me is the fact that despite the onslaught of injuries, the Colts have kept Chad Kelly on the active roster.  3 QBs on a team with 3 healthy WRs is pretty incredible.

Disclaimer: The following is an *extreme* hypothetical and I thought of it only because of how unusual the 3 QBs situation is: 

I’m not someone that thinks Kelly is the answer.  We simply don’t know what we have because he hasn’t played meaningful snaps.  That said, I’m wondering if the Colts will audition Kelly at some point, especially if Brissett continues to struggle and the Colts are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.  

If they did do that, and *if* Kelly plays at or above Jacoby’s level, the Colts may draft a QB, trade Brissett for capital, roll with Kelly as a starter next year, and let the QB in waiting watch while Hoyer helps mentor him on the sideline.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What is the possibilities of the Colts aquiring Foles. I think he IS A WAY better QB than Brissett. Much higher cieling and has history with Riech. Maybe we push for him and he can be the right guy for us.

When would we acquire him? It’s past the trade deadline and I believe he is still under contract for Jax after this season.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If we were in the market for a veteran I think Bridgewater would be the man.  He's only 27 and he could be our franchise QB for a decade.  No wasting years for a rookie to develop.  Brees isn't going anywhere soon.  They might be tempted for a high pick and Brissett to fill the void.  I would make the call but I'm not sure Ballard would. 

Oh, please, no. Bridgewater isn't a franchise QB any more than Brisket is. That would be one miserable decade of failure, and I certainly wouldn't pay to see that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyEric07 said:

I don’t think that NO will let Bridgewater go unless he really wants to. I think Brees is on the Tail end of his career and he is their future.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If we were in the market for a veteran I think Bridgewater would be the man.  He's only 27 and he could be our franchise QB for a decade.  No wasting years for a rookie to develop.  Brees isn't going anywhere soon.  They might be tempted for a high pick and Brissett to fill the void.  I would make the call but I'm not sure Ballard would. 

Dear Lord

How long do you want to remain in QB purgatory?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

They aren't  getting  rid of Brissett  until to get someone better otherwise  you tip your hand to the otherwise drafters

Too many QB draft needs this next draft by teams in front of us.

Ballard will have to trade a boatload of picks to move up.

I guess we are stuck with Brissett and 9-7 to 7-9 records for the foreseeble future, depending on who we play in our schedule.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

I guess we are stuck with Brissett and 9-7 to 7-9 records for the foreseeble future, depending on who we play in our schedule.

If we are stuck with Brissett  then let's draft the next Marshall  Faulk and the next randy moss. Even Brissett  would throw deep to a guy like that lol

27 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I posted this earlier that KC gave up a third round pick and the following years first round pick to move up from 25 to 10. The Texans gave up the following year 1st rd pick for Watson to move up to 12. That actually isn’t that much. We won’t have to move up nearly as far as they did.

I would take Foles over Brissett any day of the week.  I have been a Nick Foles fan. I knew when he went to Jags it wasn't a good match.  I think he would be a perfect QB to bring in as well as drafting a guy to develop.  Let Brissett go somewhere else.  Go back and watch Nick Foles in the Super Bowl win over the Pats.  He is throwing dimes all day long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Foles is not necessarily better than Brissett.

If you're going to make a move like that it should be for a clear and obvious upgrade.  Foles is not that.

While I don't want Foles, he's better suited for Reich's O than JB is. He's much better reading and progressing (general vision) and excels in a quick dink/dunk with occasional down field strikes. His anticipation/timing/leading is a lot better than JB. The only thing that JB is better at, and it's not by much, is mobility. Foles can extend a play a bit, but isn't going to get you much on the ground.

• Thanks 1

Trade for Foles?  The guy who hasn't won a single game this year?  I repeat not a single win this season.  The guy that we ourselves & JB just destroyed & outplayed a week ago?  The guy who just got benched for a late round rookie QB?  As much money as Jax gave Foles, I'm shocked they don't even want to see if he can get into a groove.  Guess they've seen enough in just 4 games... 

I'm not giving up anything but a 6th or 7th round pick for him.  If they'll take that then fine bring him in and let him compete with JB.  Or maybe even a straight up trade for Hoyer?  Anything more than that and it's a hard pass on Foles, who has always under performed when much is expected of him.

As the backup he'll come in and look great because not much is expected of the backup.  Make him the starter and he craps the bed.  I think I'd rather have Tannehill but Titans will probably resign him.

I still say ya’ll aren’t being fair to Brissett. With that said, Foles is better. I say that being very aware that it’s not working out in Jacksonville.

There’s also the possibility that Foles is 1 of those rare guys who only plays well on 1 team lol! There are guys who have started and backed up for the same team in more than 2 stints!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zibby43 said:

That said, I’m wondering if the Colts will audition Kelly at some point, especially if Brissett continues to struggle and the Colts are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.  

i wonder what it would take to actually be eliminated.  i not sure a loss next week would do it, but that would probably take the odds to around 1%

Nick Foles did play some of his best ball under Reich.  

That said I have to say I don't think it's a good idea.  It seems like getting your starting QB by signing a guy that showed some skill at one point but wasn't good enough to win over the starting job at his previous club rarely seems to work out.  

It can work out when a QB is let go due to age or injury concerns.  But player who looked good on backup duty even extensive backup duty rarely seems to work out.  

On 12/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Jags would never trade him here. I doubt they would just cut him. I don’t think they can afford to do that.

Something like a 35 million cap hit in 2020. Goes to around 12 in 2021.