Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Foles

TimetobringDfence!

The big problem on this roster is not at quarterback.  Even the greats in their prime would have struggled with this receiving unit.

If we can patch together an actual WR/TE group that is credible and consistently at least league average, then I'll start to listen about the QB.  When your second best WR is Zach Pascal, you're not there.

We do have the skeleton of a decent unit if TY can get healthy but Ballard needs to bring in some supplemental pieces that can do their jobs. That hasn't been consistently a thing for the Colts all year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What is the possibilities of the Colts aquiring Foles. I think he IS A WAY better QB than Brissett. Much higher cieling and has history with Riech. Maybe we push for him and he can be the right guy for us.

I started that a few weeks ago ,makes sense .Relationship with Reich and maybe the long layoff  has led to some rust .Would love to bring in to challenge brisett .Problem is I highly doubt he gets outright released because of that huge contract .But one never knows .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The big problem on this roster is not at quarterback.  Even the greats in their prime would have struggled with this receiving unit.

If we can patch together an actual WR/TE group that is credible and consistently at least league average, then I'll start to listen about the QB.  When your second best WR is Zach Pascal, you're not there.

I dissagree, Pascal, Johnson, and Doyle showed up yesterday Jacoby sucked. He missed wide ooen people and is horrible at reading progressions and trowing people open.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I dissagree, Pascal, Johnson, and Doyle showed up yesterday Jacoby sucked. He missed wide ooen people and is horrible at reading progressions and trowing people open.

I'm not talking about yesterday.  I'm talking about consistency.

I'm not gonna get much headway here because of recency bias but if we don't get better personnel at WR, we only have ourselves to blame if we're right back here next year making the exact same arguments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not gonna get much headway here because of recency bias but if we don't get better personnel at WR, we only have ourselves to blame if we're right back here next year making the exact same arguments.

We do need more talent and competition there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We basically need three new WR. TY, pascal, and Campbell should all be back. Draft another no later then the second and find another FA. I think Rogers will not be back since Hines is returning kicks really well.

Sign me up for Foles era of Colts football...especially with the Reich connection.  

But I will warn you...as a fellow Wildcat...I am unashamed in my bias toward Foles. But more importantly, I also do think he has shown he can play at a very very high level football against very good teams. 

I have no idea if JAC would even trade him to the Colts...or if they could make the numbers work for them...but I would be onboard...because his value is very low (so the cost should be very low)...and assuming it was just his base salary coming over.

Hell...provided the Colts would only owe Foles his base salary...I would even be willing to eat the $12.5M in dead cap for JB if I could find a good trade partner...which might not be as difficult since his salary might be pretty attractive to a rebuilding team...or to a backup-needy competitive team.  

In that scenario, you buy low on Foles (with a low pick) and sell "high" on JB (for a middling pick)...and it only costs the Colts $6M more next season (than had they kept JB). So they get an upgrade and upside at QB (IMO) and maybe even an improved draft pick that they can use toward drafting a QB as well. 

From the moment Reich was hired and Luck had his shoulder surgery (and his future in question)...I have thought there was a non-zero chance Foles ends up in Indy. And what looked impossible back in March (Luck coming off a CPOTY award and Foles getting a long-term in JAC)...now seems only unlikely. Will be interesting to see what happens...probably nothing...but maybe it's kismet.

At the very least, Foles makes for a better stopgap...as they develop a long-term rookie.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What is the possibilities of the Colts aquiring Foles. I think he IS A WAY better QB than Brissett. Much higher cieling and has history with Riech. Maybe we push for him and he can be the right guy for us.

No, just stop it. Please. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Foles got the QB "Yips" yo, wouldn't want to touch him right now.

No shortcuts in life, draft a QB and develop. On the other hand, if Belichick wants to part with Brady at the end of this season...:peek:

Look up his stats he really has never done bad and mostly great. This is his least productive season but the Jags are mismanaged. I think he is worth looking at. Would like to see Kelly get a chance too. Brissett is a smart Qb capable of only hitting wide open wr past medium yardage. He turns into garbage past 15 yards.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

That is the problem. The Colts front office has to be hit in the face three times before they duck.

this will be the same discussion three years from now. How long did Luck suffer punishment before anything was done there? That turned out real good for the shoe!

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes but one that has also played way better tan Brissett and is capable of way more things tan Brissett.

There are all kind of qbs that could succeed with our current ine and recieving core especially in there prime.

You know.....glass houses and all that....

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

We do have the skeleton of a decent unit if TY can get healthy but Ballard needs to bring in some supplemental pieces that can do their jobs. That hasn't been consistently a thing for the Colts all year.

Yeah, look how bad Luck did last year with these joker of WRs..….Oh, wait!!

If we were in the market for a veteran I think Bridgewater would be the man.  He's only 27 and he could be our franchise QB for a decade.  No wasting years for a rookie to develop.  Brees isn't going anywhere soon.  They might be tempted for a high pick and Brissett to fill the void.  I would make the call but I'm not sure Ballard would. 

• Like 2

"NO WAY" to Foles...just another retread on the decline.

Yes but one that has also played way better tan Brissett and is capable of way more things tan Brissett.

Foles is quiet honestly an older version of Brissett. No thanks 

39 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Yeah, look how bad Luck did last year with these joker of WRs..….Oh, wait!!

To be fair, the WRs were all healthy though...

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we were in the market for a veteran I think Bridgewater would be the man.  He's only 27 and he could be our franchise QB for a decade.  No wasting years for a rookie to develop.  Brees isn't going anywhere soon.  They might be tempted for a high pick and Brissett to fill the void.  I would make the call but I'm not sure Ballard would. 

While this is a good option, Bridgewater is another Brissett, he threw primarily to Michael Thomas in the intermediate range and to his RBs and TEs, that was it. He does not stretch the field like Drew Brees does, sound familiar???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I respectfully disagree. 

Even though the WR talent isn't great, Reich is scheming guys open and JB is flat-out missing them.  Game after game.  It's not even a trend now, it's the rule.  Hitting a few guys on one drive is the rare exception.

And he has a dream pocket to throw from, more often than not.  He's just slow processing and delivering in there.

A better QB could've put up 30 points against that Titans defense yesterday with how the defense was giving the offense opportunities early in the game.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

How he do in the chiefs  game with these joker  wrs? Even Luck would fail with these guys

I don't know if I'd point to that 1 game considering Luck put up a career year last year throwing to a hobbled Hilton, Pascal, Rogers and Inman (who is currently unemployed).  Inman didn't do much this year before being released; perhaps it's Luck who made Inman better last year?

Luck put up 30+ points on the scoreboard for 30% of his starts.  And that's with an abysmal offensive line for the overwhelming majority of his career.

Brissett has put up 30+ points in 7% of his starts (2 games, out of 26). 

I'm not unfairly trying to compare Brissett to Luck, I'm merely pointing out what a franchise-level QB can do for an offense's explosiveness and point totals.  I think after Luck's retirement, some of us greatly underestimated what we had in Andrew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I don't know if I'd point to that 1 game considering Luck put up a career year last year throwing to a hobbled Hilton, Pascal, Rogers and Inman (who is currently unemployed).  Inman didn't do much this year before being released; perhaps it's Luck who made Inman better last year?

Luck put up 30+ points on the scoreboard for 30% of his starts.  And that's with an abysmal offensive line for the overwhelming majority of his career.

Brissett has put up 30+ points in 7% of his starts (2 games, out of 26). 

My point is when it counted not even Luck could win with these pass dropping  wrs

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

If we start foles next year we win be sitting  at home playoff  time 100 percent  guaranteed 

20 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I don't think those pockets show how the routes run by the wide outs are progressing though. If they could get a shot of the guy coming open for a second before Jacoby sees them, it might be more helpful. I am not saying it is good or bad but I don't think we get the whole picture here.