Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to work out FA kickers today

NannyMcafee

About dang time

Again..... AT THIS STAGE..... we are missing EXTRA POINTS!

You cant tell me that there isnt someone that can make Extra Points reliably

I would be happy with a 98% Extra Point Kicker, with a 75% hit rate for FGs of 0-45 yards

You cant tell me that guy isnt available

Forget the "big leg" guys.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

About dang time

I would be happy with a 98% Extra Point Kicker, with a 75% hit rate for FGs of 0-45 yards

Should be able to find a guy who can make 40 yard kicks reliably. So we have to make it further for FG range? Who cares. If we had that we would have won 2 other games and possibly last week too. We dont need the best guy. Just better than what we have. 

Colts will draft a Kicker this off season. 

Kevin Bowen said in his pod cast, that vinny has never had an elite leg, and was never the most accurate (after going through his history of coyese). He is literally the clutch kicker. And that's gone now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1070 podcast suggested that there was a double standard when it comes to Vinatieri.  That other players (like Cain) are given a message of "do better or else", but AV gets a pass on a 70% extra point rate.  They said that there's no way that the locker room doesn't see that, and that it doesn't have an effect.

Not saying that I have any insider info into the locker room.  Just repeating what 1070 podcast was saying.  At any rate, it ain't good, and it can't continue.

• Like 3

IF the Colts really are trying out kickers, then I think it's safe to assume that they've informed AV about it. And AV, being the class act that he is, has probably signed off on the decision to bring in new kickers.

AV has to know that he's struggling mightily and he has to know that this is what is best for the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’d love for it to work out as Vinny just kicking better. Is he capable of kicking extra points consistently? YES!! 
  That being said, I understand why they are bringing guys in, but what if part of the blame is the snap, hold and blocking?  Can a “new guy” negate those things. 
  He might be done or he might just be in the same boat as other Colts: ALL needing to play better.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

If Vinatieri does retire, I would love to see them get Blankenship from Georgia.

Rodrego and Rigaberto

• Like 1

Mixed emotions on this, but they at least need to see who's available.  I know some of the misses haven't all been AV's fault, but he has missed kicks that an NFL level kicker should miss.

He may be the GOAT, but he's not the greatest of right now.  We have 3 big divisional games coming up and can't afford to lose any of them due to missed extra points and makeable FG's

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

1070 podcast suggested that there was a double standard when it comes to Vinatieri.  That other players (like Cain) are given a message of "do better or else", but AV gets a pass on a 70% extra point rate.  They said that there's no way that the locker room doesn't see that, and that it doesn't have an effect.

Not saying that I have any insider info into the locker room.  Just repeating what 1070 podcast was saying.  At any rate, it ain't good, and it can't continue.

Not to pile on Vinny, but losses like that definitely gas an impact.

Similar to how a win like that can have an affect.

It can change the way you coach and play.

Out team's success somewhat hinges on the sense of team and emotion.  It carried us last year.  Sum is greater than the parts.

Unfortunately , in some ways it has divided us, coaching, management, and players in some ways.  I think we are seeing some of this in overall team play.

The way we play football, fieldgoals and extracpoints are at a premium.  The gameplan relies on them i think.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoachSmok3 said:

What if the kickers they work out all have terrible tryouts?

Is that Ballard "not having guts" to not drop AV for someone else to produce the same results?

SMH... why a personal attack on Ballard? It serves no purpose and is low class in this instance 

Agreed some fans seem to think one player struggles automatically equals someone else being better.  It doesn’t always work that way.  I am all for finding out if someone better is out there but I trust Ballard to make the right decision.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

About dang time

Well. the Patriots have been searching for one for 7 weeks now... so no, I'd say that guy isn't available at the moment

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed some fans seem to think one player struggles automatically equals someone else being better.  It doesn’t always work that way.  I am all for finding out if someone better is out there but I trust Ballard to make the right decision.

Im out of reactions at 1030am smh lol... But THIS

I too am all for looking at our options available! I said it in another thread the other day- id much rather hear the K talk than the QB talk... 

The misses have been devastating, and something needs to change... But this isnt Madden where every other FA kicker is still at 78 OVR and as the player you can go 100% from 55 yards plus

Kicking also is NOT as easy as some here seem to think. They were probably the same type that was ragging on the kickers back in HS, while they themselves were just standing on the sidelines...

The personal attack on Ballard is what got me tho... and Im a HUGE supporter of questioning authority... Calling Ballard "gutless" isnt questioning authority... its just SAD

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

you'll get the same outcome of losing games as you do with AV. parkey does nothing but miss important kicks 

If he just hits routine kicks our record is better.  

AV is missing both the clutch kicks and the routine ones.  I doubt we're going to find a super clutch kicker right now off the street.  But might as well get one who can hit some routine kicks.  

Parkey's percentages from his last year in Chicago are better than AV's percentages this year.  

Next offseason I would say try to sign Mason Crosby in FA, he is a high level kicker.  If you can't get him you bring in another free agent and get one via draft or UDFA and let them compete for the job.  But I strongly believe signing Mason Crosby in FA is the best choice.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I listened to that and while it does worry me that other players are begrudging the fact that they are keeping vinny, you gotta think, most teams have multiples at each given position. You even have a back up QB. No backup kicker. No backup punter. So when one of your kickers is struggling what are you going to do? Just cut the guy without a backup plan? 

It's not as simple as just letting them walk in this case. 

But I would be lying if I wasnt worried that the lockerroom is starting to grumble about it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

not saying that isn't true. Question is, what's easier to replace, a 6th round WR who's 5th on the depth chart or a starting Kicker?

Just now, Flash7 said:

We are missing PATs at the moment. Freaking extra points that are considered automatic, and we're missing.

If we find a guy that can make those, we've already upgraded the position.

The whole reason the NFL moved them back was to make them not automatic.

i agree with you though if someone can hit them better they should be brought in at this point.  However, my point is that just because we want someone to be better doesn’t automatically mean they will do better.  These guys are out there for a reason and while I would like to think they could do better than Adam has at this point I don’t know that.  That’s why I am all for finding out and if they are getting one of them in here.

• Like 5

Just now, csmopar said:

not saying that isn't true. Question is, what's easier to replace, a 6th round WR who's 5th on the depth chart or a starting Kicker?

Probably about the same.

AV's performance makes it easier than it usually would be to replace a kicker.   70% on extra points is not even  defensible.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you look at percentages, most street kickers at this point are better than AV.  There is obviously no one elite out there, and I would argue none of these guys are someone you want to rely upon after this season.  

But AV can't hit the routine or clutch kicks right now.  There are street free agents out there who can hit most of the routine kicks at the very least.  Go compare Cody Parkey's percentages in his last year in Chicago (where he kicked out doors with wind coming off the lake) to AV this year (where he is kicking indoors).  Parkey is better.  

AV's not just struggling, he's completely dropped off.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I listened to that and while it does worry me that other players are begrudging the fact that they are keeping vinny, you gotta think, most teams have multiples at each given position. You even have a back up QB. No backup kicker. No backup punter. So when one of your kickers is struggling what are you going to do? Just cut the guy without a backup plan? 

It's not as simple as just letting them walk in this case. 

But I would be lying if I wasnt worried that the lockerroom is starting to grumble about it. 

At most positions there are guys on the PS too

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If he just hits routine kicks our record is better.  

AV is missing both the clutch kicks and the routine ones.  I doubt we're going to find a super clutch kicker right now off the street.  But might as well get one who can hit some routine kicks.  

Parkey's percentages from his last year in Chicago are better than AV's percentages this year.  

Next offseason I would say try to sign Mason Crosby in FA, he is a high level kicker.  If you can't get him you bring in another free agent and get one via draft or UDFA and let them compete for the job.  But I strongly believe signing Mason Crosby in FA is the best choice.  

I know its frowned upon to draft a kicker. However, the K out of Georgia is one guy I would 100% be in favor of drafting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

The whole reason the NFL moved them back was to make them not automatic.

i agree with you though if someone can hit them better they should be brought in at this point.  However, my point is that just because we want someone to be better doesn’t automatically mean they will do better.  These guys are out there for a reason and while I would like to think they could do better than Adam has at this point I don’t know that.  That’s why I am all for finding out and if they are getting one of them in here.

Everyone is having problems

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Probably about the same.

AV's performance makes it easier than it usually would be to replace a kicker.   70% on extra points is not even  defensible.  

I agree with the bold. Whats weird in all this is that AV is making the super long ones, 50+. But can't hit between the 25 and 45 yarders consistently. 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I honestly don't think there's any friction or fracturing in the locker room honestly. They've shown they have each other's back in many aspects (Luck/JB transition, Turay injury).

This is a different type of difficult. It could be sticking with the evil you know, or they know he's injured and are riding out the bumps until he heals or it could be Jim not wanting to go out like this.

All speculation on my part, but it's crazy how many kickers are missing kicks this year.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

If you look at percentages, most street kickers at this point are better than AV.  There is obviously no one elite out there, and I would argue none of these guys are someone you want to rely upon after this season.  

But AV can't hit the routine or clutch kicks right now.  There are street free agents out there who can hit most of the routine kicks at the very least.  Go compare Cody Parkey's percentages in his last year in Chicago (where he kicked out doors with wind coming off the lake) to AV this year (where he is kicking indoors).  Parkey is better.  

AV's not just struggling, he's completely dropped off.  

Yeah and as we have seen with Adam this year you can’t go off past stats alone.  You have to see what they can do now which is why I am glad they are working out kickers.  If one of them makes Ballard think they can be fairly consistent I am on board with getting them in here.  It’s not a guarantee they will though.  That’s all I am saying.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with the bold. Whats weird in all this is that AV is making the super long ones, 50+. But can't hit between the 25 and 45 yarders consistently. 

I was saying that to a friend. He's totally still got the long range in him, but anything close is a crapshoot.

Maybe they go crazy and bring in a K for XPs and 40yds and in...