Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cromartie Believes Colts Cut Him for Kneeling

lollygagger8

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856298-br-untold-stories-antonio-cromartie-believes-colts-cut-him-for-kneeling

Former NFL cornerback Antonio Cromartie told Bleacher Report's Master Tesfatsion that he believes the Indianapolis Colts cut him during his final season in the league because he chose to protest social injustice and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem.  

"It ain't have nothing to do with my age, it ain't have nothing to do with my style of play," he said. "It was because I took a knee."

Cromartie revealed former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano asked the team not to take a knee during the 2016 campaign and said "when we go out on the football field, it's about football."

The cornerback took offense to that because the Colts made such a point of stressing how there were things more important than football when the head coach was diagnosed with leukemia during the 2012 season.

Cromartie said his best friend and former New York Jets teammate Joe McKnight was killed by a white man who had been angered by McKnight's driving in what was deemed a manslaughter. The 35-year-old Cromartie added that he was worried about his sons being in a similar situation.

The trend of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem started with Colin Kaepernick in the 2016 preseason. He told NFL Media after the game, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Cromartie first knelt during the anthem in Week 3 against the then-San Diego Chargers, and he told Tesfatsion that team executives told him to get up. They also asked him not to kneel during a Week 4 game in London, and he was benched at halftime after he did.

Despite being released after those four games, the cornerback said he doesn't regret his decision to kneel and that he was happy to provide a voice for those who did not have the same type of platform.

Cromartie played for the Chargers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Colts from 2006 through 2016 and was a four-time Pro Bowler.

giphy.gif

Either way (if it was because of kneeling/or because he was trash and got benched) I'm proud of Pagano for keeping it about football, not personal beliefs. 

• Like 3

What a garbage human being. He played like uncontrolled swamp * on a humid day. 

The worst part though was 

Cromartie said he turned to some of the other players in the room and responded, “So when it’s about leukemia and your cancer, it’s cool [to take a knee]. But when it’s about police brutality and social injustice, it’s not cool.”

No one ever knelt during the anthem for Pagano you jabroni. 

I hope this guy walks out his door and gets hit by falling space junk. 

• Like 2

Salute to Cromartie for having the courage to do what he felt was right despite the potential consequences and pressure from Irsay and Pagano.  At the end of the day...he can look himself in the mirror see a man who held true to his convictions and that’s all that really matters when all is said and done.  Life goes on. 

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Salute to Cromartie for having the courage to do what he felt was right despite the potential consequences and pressure from Irsay and Pagano.  At the end of the day...he can look himself in the mirror see a man who held true to his convictions and that’s all that really matters when all is said and done.  Life goes on. 

Courage? By going public 3 years later?

Whatever.... Antonio Cromartie  is a case study in a recklessly irresponsible lack of self control.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2017/10/24/antonio-cromartie-seeks-reduction-in-child-support-payments/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Whatever.... Antonio Cromartie  is a case study in a recklessly irresponsible lack of self control.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2017/10/24/antonio-cromartie-seeks-reduction-in-child-support-payments/

No...courage to kneel when he did.  When you are true to your convictions despite what others say or the pressures they try to place upon you it takes some level of courage.  That’s all I’m recognizing him for with my comment. If that’s how that man truly felt then he did the right thing taking a knee. Whether or not it was the reason for his being cut is up for debate.  His play wasn’t great while with us so I doubt he’ll get much traction on that.  I still respect that he stayed true to his convictions at that point in his life. 

As far as the child support payment article that is not germane to the issue at hand.  There are also lots of veterans who this nation revere who come home and do some pretty bad things to their wives or make other poor decisions as well.  Some due to PTSD, etc.  Doesn’t take away from their service to their country.  In either case, that’s not relevant to the point of the thread in my opinion. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

This is textbook courage.

How many people were on the Colts sidelines - 100?

How many people took a knee - 1?

Just because you dont support his cause doesn't mean it doesn't take courage to do what he did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He couldn't play worth a crap.   He was bad and shouldn't have been on the team at all.   He never got signed by another team.  

He was an irresponsible person who fathered at least 14 kids with several different women.   A deadbeat dad who hasn't paid the child support he owes.   

Pretty much a jerk.

• Like 1

I don't know why the NFL allows players to use its visibility to promote personal causes.  I think the players should use their own money or lobby the public for donations so that the people who care about various causes can spend their own money buying the visibility they want. 

Essentially, he's using other people's money to promote something he cares about.  Getting something for nothing, in this case, getting visibility because he's an NFL player.  CEOs of public companies do this too.

Seems like nothing more than an old fashioned mooch to me, except somebody (else) might be afraid to call it that depending upon the merits of the cause.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Just because you dont support his cause doesn't mean it doesn't take courage to do what he did. 

Kneeling does not take courage.

Running between flying pieces of hot lead and copper takes Courage.

Pulling up the flag after the soldier carrying  was dropped and killed on the battlefield of America's freedom at Yorkstown is courage.

Running into a house on fire to save a toddler from a certain death is courage.

Sitting on a seat in a bus full of people who hate you simply because of your skin color knowing you could go to jail is courage.

leading a march of people who were and are still today suffering from racism knowing very well you could be killed or jailed is courage.

Kneeling during the National Anthem being played, during a game where you are paid millions, is not courage, it's disrespectful and insulting.  I would think differently if he put his money where his mouth is, but he hasn't.  What he was doing was attention seeking. Same thing with Kaepernick, who started his little kneeling crap AFTER he lost his starting spot.  Only 2 weeks after that start did he try to say he was doing it for a social cause.  No, in both cases, it was players attention seeking, not carrying a badge of courage, that led them to kneel.

Waiting 3 years, AFTER all the persons involved are no longer with the Colts, is further proof this is about attention seeking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Pulling up the flag after the soldier carrying  was dropped and killed on the battlefield of America's freedom at Yorkstown is courage.

Sitting on a seat in a bus full of people who hate you simply because of your skin color knowing you could go to jail is courage.

leading a march of people who were and are still today suffering from racism knowing very well you could be killed or jailed is courage.

Kneeling during the National Anthem being played, during a game where you are paid millions, is not courage, it's disrespectful and insulting.  I would think differently if he put his money where his mouth is, but he hasn't.  What he was doing was attention seeking. Same thing with Kaepernick, who started his little kneeling crap AFTER he lost his starting spot.  Only 2 weeks after that start did he try to say he was doing it for a social cause.  No, in both cases, it was players attention seeking, not carrying a badge of courage, that led them to kneel.

Waiting 3 years, AFTER all the persons involved are no longer with the Colts, is further proof this is about attention seeking!

We are all entitled to our opinions and feelings on this matter.  Whether or not we agree.  I respect your right to feel differently about this than I do.  I disagree with you respectfully that those examples that you provided are the only ways that courage can be displayed.  Unless you walk in a man’s shoes you can’t speak for what is in his heart.  

I’ll just leave you with this...if kneeling during the National Anthem is so insulting and disrespectful then why did a white US veteran suggest that Kap do it as a way of showing respect to the flag and veterans who died for this country.  Lost is the fact that some protesting NFL players initially were not standing or coming out for the anthem at all.   Trump successfully highjacked the kneeling message and portrayed it as a gesture of disrespect and those who wanted to avoid the deeper underlying issues that gave rise to those players’ feelings of discontent...I.e. police brutality against persons of color, could thus conveniently ignore them under the ruse of a fake patriotism contrary to the freedom, values and principles that that very flag is supposed to represent.  America is great because people have the freedom to kneel...in prayer and protest.  In this emerging increasingly wicked and Godless secular society...I say that kneeling takes a whole lot of courage. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 10:11 AM, lollygagger8 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856298-br-untold-stories-antonio-cromartie-believes-colts-cut-him-for-kneeling

Former NFL cornerback Antonio Cromartie told Bleacher Report's Master Tesfatsion that he believes the Indianapolis Colts cut him during his final season in the league because he chose to protest social injustice and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem.  

"It ain't have nothing to do with my age, it ain't have nothing to do with my style of play," he said. "It was because I took a knee."

Cromartie revealed former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano asked the team not to take a knee during the 2016 campaign and said "when we go out on the football field, it's about football."

The cornerback took offense to that because the Colts made such a point of stressing how there were things more important than football when the head coach was diagnosed with leukemia during the 2012 season.

Cromartie said his best friend and former New York Jets teammate Joe McKnight was killed by a white man who had been angered by McKnight's driving in what was deemed a manslaughter. The 35-year-old Cromartie added that he was worried about his sons being in a similar situation.

The trend of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem started with Colin Kaepernick in the 2016 preseason. He told NFL Media after the game, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Cromartie first knelt during the anthem in Week 3 against the then-San Diego Chargers, and he told Tesfatsion that team executives told him to get up. They also asked him not to kneel during a Week 4 game in London, and he was benched at halftime after he did.

Despite being released after those four games, the cornerback said he doesn't regret his decision to kneel and that he was happy to provide a voice for those who did not have the same type of platform.

Cromartie played for the Chargers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Colts from 2006 through 2016 and was a four-time Pro Bowler.

giphy.gif

Either way (if it was because of kneeling/or because he was trash and got benched) I'm proud of Pagano for keeping it about football, not personal beliefs. 

He does make a point that we paid him a lot of money to be a depth CB that would get cut when everyone got healthy.

Or that was just Grigson being stupid. Either way.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Disagree there are different types of courage.  

Physical courage on the battlefield is certainly one of those.

But going against the grain takes a lot of courage itself.  That's why most people don't do it.  

There are people out there who would charge a machine gun nest but wouldn't openly take an unpopular stand that they would otherwise support because they don't have the courage to go against the grain.  At the same time just because someone is kneeling doesn't mean that they would charge a machine gun nest.  Different types of courage.  A person could have one in spades but have little of the other.  

Disagree with him speculating that's why we cut him.  Honestly I think the fact that he wasn't picked up by another team shows that he was cut for skill as he wasn't the face of the kneeling movement like Kap.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Disagree there are different types of courage.  

Physical courage on the battlefield is certainly one of those.

But going against the grain takes a lot of courage itself.  That's why most people don't do it.  

There are people out there who would charge a machine gun nest but wouldn't openly take an unpopular stand that they would otherwise support because they don't have the courage to go against the grain.  At the same time just because someone is kneeling doesn't mean that they would charge a machine gun nest.  Different types of courage.  A person could have one in spades but have little of the other.  

Disagree with him speculating that's why we cut him.  Honestly I think the fact that he wasn't picked up by another team shows that he was cut for skill as he wasn't the face of the kneeling movement like Kap.  

Perhaps. And I’m not saying you are wrong, you’re not. My issue isn’t just with the kneeling itself. It’s the falsification of the reason for it when Kaepernick realized he could make a dime off a very unfortunate social issue. He did this for two weeks before it become viral. At which time, he had been benched for crappy play and was mad about it. After it started getting noticed, he claimed it was for the social injustice that is racist profiling within our country.  He then was paid MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS, in endorsement deals from the likes of Nike and stuff. Yet he’s not donated a single dime towards the organizations that have been trying to help solve this issue. Nor has he volunteered to help anywhere in these communities. No, he turned a valid social concern into a money nest egg for himself. Profiting off of the pain of others.  The. He went even further and tried suing the NFL for even more money. Now, Cromartie is trying to do the same. 

Thats not courage, that’s greed

• Like 1

In regard to kaep, I think his mistake was kneeling during a Veterans Day celebration when they had vets from many wars in attendance.   Vets who had friends and family come home in a boc draped with the very flag he was protesting.  Poor choice.  He should have taken that day off and shown some respect.   

Of course the Pig socks and Castro shirt were also poor choices.   Yes there are some bad police officers, but there are many more good ones.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I showed courage today.   We had a mandatory staff meeting and I did not go.   I had other things to take care of that I thought were more important.  

Its the overall presentation of the issue and the tactics used that bothers me.  The merits of the issue is separate. 

I tend to feel preached to when these types of protests occur, telling me how I'm supposed to think.  If I wanted to be sermonized and preached to on Sunday, I'd go to church and not an NFL football game.

An analogy:  Think of a preacher who says that Jesus is good.  Then he tries to use someone else's venue to make the public aware of how good Jesus is.  By the current modern logic, if the company denied the preacher the use of their venue, the company would be labeled inherently anti-Jesus.  And if mentioning how anti-Jesus the company was didn't work , get all of his followers to boycott the company.

It simple old fashioned entitlement thinking back up by bullying and intimidation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps. And I’m not saying you are wrong, you’re not. My issue isn’t just with the kneeling itself. It’s the falsification of the reason for it when Kaepernick realized he could make a dime off a very unfortunate social issue. He did this for two weeks before it become viral. At which time, he had been benched for crappy play and was mad about it. After it started getting noticed, he claimed it was for the social injustice that is racist profiling within our country.  He then was paid MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS, in endorsement deals from the likes of Nike and stuff. Yet he’s not donated a single dime towards the organizations that have been trying to help solve this issue. Nor has he volunteered to help anywhere in these communities. No, he turned a valid social concern into a money nest egg for himself. Profiting off of the pain of others.  The. He went even further and tried suing the NFL for even more money. Now, Cromartie is trying to do the same. 

Courageous and cowardly at the same time.

With that said, protest (peaceful or not) at a funeral possession like the playing of the national anthem before a game should never be morally acceptable. Notice I didn't say "legally".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I’m not talking about his decision to kneel.... a lot of players knelt in support of what Kaepernick coincidentally claimed was this noble cause. If you want to call it courage, be my guest.... I can understand the sentiment.

No.... I’m talking about him reviving the whole matter he now claims regarding the reason he was cut.

All on the heels of his ridiculous plea for the courts to reduce his child support 3 years later?

https://overthecap.com/player/antonio-cromartie/966

Given the fact that he’d earned $46m in his NFL career and squandered it to the point of now pleading with the courts for child support relief.... forgive me.... but this looks and smells like desperate  manipulation that should actually OFFEND activists opposing police brutality and injustice.

Sorry.... this is the law of sowing and reaping of the mess that Antonio Cromartie created for himself.... and 14 kids get to go along for the ride. 

Gee.... how courageous.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybarca/2018/02/01/colin-kaepernick-not-stopping-donations-roll-past-1-million/#228d8c691668

Kapernick has donated money even while he's not been on a roster.  There are problems to have with him, the socks issue is one.  But I don't feel like he's doing this just for himself.  

And that Nike deal came way after he started kneeling.  Remember he started with sitting on the bench during the anthem and a vet convinced him that kneeling was a way that could show respect and make his point.  

On 10/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, csmopar said:

How about providing some clarity here. 

The bold summary: kneeling is wrong and shouldn't happen. 

The underlined summary: kneeling is not wrong if he supported the kneeling financially.

Which is it? 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, csmopar said:

Why were those soldiers fighting at Yorktown in the first place? Do you think it had anything to do with one side feeling they were being treated unfairly by the other side and they chose to do something about it? 

You also referenced Rosa Parks; are you suggesting she chose the correct venue to demonstrate her outrage over racial injustice? Why? Id love for you to explain how/when/where the appropriate locale is to demonstrate peacefully. 

You toss around generalized examples of courage to say what? Unless a person does the examples you listed they're not demonstrating courage. Is that your point? Heres a few you left out:

Standing up against injustice whenever it presents itself regardless of personal impact

Refusing to go along with authority simply because you're told to (See  Yorktown)

Fighting a battle for someone else that doesn't have the ability to fight it themselves

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

Why were those soldiers fighting at Yorktown in the first place? Do you think it had anything to do with one side feeling they were being treated unfairly by the other side and they chose to do something about it? 

You also referenced Rosa Parks; are you suggesting she chose the correct venue to demonstrate her outrage over racial injustice? Why? Id love for you to explain how/when/where the appropriate locale is to demonstrate peacefully. 

You toss around generalized examples of courage to say what? Unless a person does the examples you listed they're not demonstrating courage. Is that your point? Heres a few you left out:

Standing up against injustice whenever it presents itself regardless of personal impact

Refusing to go along with authority simply because you're told to (See  Yorktown)

Fighting a battle for someone else that doesn't have the ability to fight it themselves

None of those examples did the person "protesting" receive MILLIONS of dollars to do said "protest" .  That is my issue with Kaepernick.  He profited off the racial profiling some of us in this country have been subjected too.

20 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Not before a football  game in which you're an employee making millions.

How about Kaep or any other activist march in the streets of the roughest most oppressed neighborhoods in America?  Why not march in front of police stations, or in Washington DC?  Why have none of these so called activists ever addressed eliminating domestic criminals such as drug dealers and murderers residing in and spreading terror throughout oppressed neighborhoods?  Why?  Because it would actually require a little bit of courage to do so.  

23 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Not before a football  game in which you're an employee making millions.

How about Kaep or any other activist march in the streets of the roughest most oppressed neighborhoods in America?  Why not march in front of police stations, or in Washington DC?  Why have none of these so called activists ever addressed eliminating domestic criminals such as drug dealers and murderers residing in and spreading terror throughout oppressed neighborhoods?  Why?  Because it would actually require a little bit of courage to do so.  

Some of them actually have.

But you know why you didn't hear or read about it?

Because it wasn't before a football game on national television.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 3:51 PM, csmopar said:

He definitely lost more money in cut endorsements and potential NFL revenue than he gained in that one Nike endorsement. And he probably didn't know that he would even get that when he started

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BigQungus said:

He definitely lost more money in cut endorsements and potential NFL revenue than he gained in that one Nike endorsement. And he probably didn't know that he would even get that when he started

I wasn’t aware 2nd string QBs had major endorsement contracts.

The dude was on a downswing. He was gonna have a hard time getting picked up by another team. Decides to kneel to draw attention to himself and be able to lament those racist NFL owners as keeping him down.

All the while you have places like Nike just eager to show how woke they are to get money from people who think that by wearing Nike they support all these causes but Nike ends up just making a profit while marginally donating to some causes.

This argument is boring.

Cromartie is a joke.