Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Andrew Luck spent the day hanging at the team’s facility

BertJones

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Here’s my fantasy scenario:  Week 10 and the Colts are in the hunt for the division.  They’re playing solid D and the running game is strong.  They look like a sure SB contender. 

Then tragedy strikes, Jacoby is injured and out for the year.  

The guys on the team convince Andrew to come back and “manage” the games for them. The team isn’t on his shoulders, but everyone thinks they can win the SB with him steering the ship.

Hey, a guy can dream, right!

My fantasy is very similar although instead of Luck making a comeback, I am sitting alone at home watching X-Factor, when the doorbell goes, and it's Beyoncé, Katie Perry, Heidi Klum and a few of their friends, asking if they can come in for a game of 'Celebrity Cludeo'. You know, "Natalie Portman, in the Library with a Candlestick.........

'Wake up BHC, your pizza is here........'

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

My fantasy is very similar although instead of Luck making a comeback, I am sitting alone at home watching X-Factor, when the doorbell goes, and it's Beyoncé, Katie Perry, Heidi Klum and a few of their friends, asking if they can come in for a game of 'Celebrity Cludeo'. You know, "Natalie Portman, in the Library with a Candlestick.........

'Wake up BHC, your pizza is here........'

We'll, I'm guessing a lot of us are going to be finding out what Cludeo is soon.

You in marketing?

Super.

9 hours ago, jemack said:

Maybe his visit was to make some of you drool... haha

Andrew is realizing a life of honey-do lists, antique shopping, and trips to the grocery store are actually MORE work than rehabbing an injury.

The wife and kid are wearing the guy out!

Andrew be like " Uh Chris, I think i made a HUGE mistake."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I think he might even if its not for the Colts if a team that had a good line and good Offense overall and were contenders all they need is a QB I bet he would jump at that.

Colts hold his rights, he can’t just go to another team without being traded. 

16 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Andrew is realizing a life of honey-do lists, antique shopping, and trips to the grocery store are actually MORE work than rehabbing an injury.

The wife and kid are wearing the guy out!

Andrew be like " Uh Chris, I think i made a HUGE mistake."

Wait until the diaper and mid night feedings start, then he’ll really miss it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Totally agree but not sure how he could be a distraction?  These are grown men, professional football players.  I'm quite sure if you polled the players, you would get a %100 positive they were all happy to see him.

It will be a distraction because now, all over the football news world, the media is spinning up return rumors and questions

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

We'll, I'm guessing a lot of us are going to be finding out what Cludeo is soon.

You in marketing?

Super.

I believe it is called 'Clue' in your parts......

27 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It will be a distraction because now, all over the football news world, the media is spinning up return rumors and questions

Management ploy to gee up Jacoby a wee bit.....

• Like 1

While we may never know all the reasons for Luck's sudden retirement, one thing is certain - the 'Luck Brand' has been damaged by quitting at the last minute. Even if those reasons were valid and necessary, quitting and leaving the team in a lurch will not bode well for trusting Luck in any future endeavor. Being thought a quitter is unfortunate.

• Like 2

The whole thing is odd.  I'm trying not to label it.... its kinda never happened.

Part of me thinks he should stay away, part of me likes the idea of him involved.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.    This team has showed mental toughness.  Theyseembehind JB, and i dont think its an issue inside the organization.  If Irsay, Ballard, and Reich ate ok with it, who ate we to argue? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having "retired", he can't come back this year anyway.

Didn't Jason Witten retire from the Cowboys and came back the same year?

Edit: I guess he was out 'almost' one year -  May 2018 - Feb 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

The whole thing is odd.  I'm trying not to label it.... its kinda never happened.

Part of me thinks he should stay away, part of me likes the idea of him involved.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.    This team has showed mental toughness.  Theyseembehind JB, and i dont think its an issue inside the organization.  If Irsay, Ballard, and Reich ate ok with it, who ate we to argue? 

Odd for sure

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Agreed. His wife tells him what to do, and Luck agrees, just like his wife told him to retire.

If he was as moody and depressed as he claims he was in 2016-17, then I can understand his wife not wanting that during her pregnancy. Luck is the type not even get a prenup. The guy is just weird. If he comes back, it would be interesting. I get the feeling the team really likes Jacoby. And he's never quit on them. I don't think all of his teammates are ok with how he left. Luck doesn't seem like the type to want to go play somewhere else either.

17 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett's extension is a sunk cost that only comes into play next year anyway.

If the opportunity comes to upgrade from Brissett to Luck you don't care about that extension any more than you would if a golden opportunity to add any other elite QB fell into your lap. 

Worst case scenario you could probably find a trade partner (Jets, Steelers, Bears, Phins, Skins) for Brissett if you had to, and run with Luck and Hoyer or Kelly. 

Might even get a decent return, back in the day the Patriots traded a very similar QB (Matt Cassell) for 2 seconds.  Imagine taking 2 second rounders off the Steelers, as dire as their situation has become ... sounds pretty tasty to me

While yes, we should be loyal to Brissett, and you ALL ought to know I'm one of the biggest Brissett fans on this forum, that only matters up to a point, and the chance to add Luck to the rest of this roster is WAY beyond that point. 

This is even more true of Luck than it would be for a generic elite QB, because Luck is already familiar with the team and wouldn't be as difficult to bring up to speed.  The risk is lower, so the premium is higher.

If some team offered me 2 1st round picks for JB, I would trade him tomorrow and bring up Kelly and run with whatever season we fall to. I know you weren’t saying someone out there is ready to hand over two picks for JB currently but if that trade offer cane to my desk, I’m taking it. While JB has been capable of running the offense, he hasn’t shown he is special. He has shown he can ball security, toughness inside the pocket to shed blockers and can use the pile to drive for 4th and 1-2. Those are very high qualities imho but the inability (so far) to look through progressions concerns me. If he was showing better promise with that aspect, along with the other qualities I’ve mentioned, I’d lock him up for 6 and turn down any trade offers. Let’s hope for the Colts sake, JB either shows that progression or we get a call from Pittsburgh offering two 1’s or a 1 and 3 2’s (getting greedy now) 

46 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Luck doesn't seem like the type to want to go play somewhere else either.

im pretty confident that hes not looking to go elsewhere.  i think hes done with the league tbh, but if he comes back he will want to be here.  Castanzo is probably his best friend in the world, and he is close with the staff too

dont think he would be hanging around the team now if he had his eyes on a trade 

8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having "retired", he can't come back this year anyway.

I don't think so, I think he can un-retire as soon as the NFL can push the paperwork through.  Which given that he was a star player and it would be a huge story drawing tons of coverage, Goodell would make sure it got pushed through lighting quick.  

Now I think it would be extremely odd for a guy to un-retire after only like 2 months of retirement.  But I don't think there is anything stopping him.  

22 hours ago, runthepost said:

He comes back next year we trade him for picks. 

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

No we don't.  He comes back next year we trade Brissett for picks.  Precedent suggests he would be worth 2 second rounders in trade.

But of course that's only if we have Luck and he's definitely ready to resume full football activities.

We don't do either. Trading Luck wouldn't get us anything, because teams would have no confidence he would even want to play, let alone for another organization.

We don't trade Brissett either because I wouldn't really trust that Luck would be all in...... I'm just saying we need to keep our insurance

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’ve been thru three courteously of Uncle Sam and the Army, yet I’m not a millionaire. If I was playing a game and getting hurt for millions, yeah I can see your point. But half a billion dollars over 3 more years... yeah I’d stuck it out

I don't think he's getting $500 million dollars...... considering that the highest paid QB annual salary is in the $30 millions...

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think so, I think he can un-retire as soon as the NFL can push the paperwork through.  Which given that he was a star player and it would be a huge story drawing tons of coverage, Goodell would make sure it got pushed through lighting quick.  

Now I think it would be extremely odd for a guy to un-retire after only like 2 months of retirement.  But I don't think there is anything stopping him.  

Just going off vague memory of a discussion of speculation that if he wanted a break from football, sending him to "IR" might have been better as he could have come back later in the season whereas retirement meant he was done for 2019 at least. 

In researching several unretirement articles (Witten [after less than a year], Gronk, Kalil, Branden Albert [after 1 week!], Luck, McCown, etc), the only restriction I have found is:

If a player unretires then he must finish the remaining years of whatever contract was effective at the time of retirement.

There's some rather confusing info here as well.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:08 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Door's wide open buddy!  You wouldn't be the first guy to have a crisis of the faith and then find your love for the game again!

Nope. Not sure I'm interested in having him back after the stunt he pulled.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

No, it would not be.....

So is that you're thing, just saying wrong without contributing anything else? 

Any comparables that you bring to support your claim that I'm wrong?

Just cause he's worth more to you doesn't mean that's his market value.

Keenum traded for a 7th rd pick, so I'm sorry but JB is not 6 rounds better than Keenum. Colts are a much better team than the Redskins, so if Keenum can do what he's doing on the Redskins, he'd do just fine with us.

I may be wrong, but you're clearly the farthest from the mark.

21 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

So is that you're thing, just saying wrong without contributing anything else? 

Any comparables that you bring to support your claim that I'm wrong?

Just cause he's worth more to you doesn't mean that's his market value.

Keenum traded for a 7th rd pick, so I'm sorry but JB is not 6 rounds better than Keenum. Colts are a much better team than the Redskins, so if Keenum can do what he's doing on the Redskins, he'd do just fine with us.

I may be wrong, but you're clearly the farthest from the mark.

I beg your pardon. I was responding to a cropped quote. I thought you were talking about Luck. No more to be said.

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

I beg your pardon. I was responding to a cropped quote. I thought you were talking about Luck. No more to be said.

Ah contextual confusion then, my bad. I was under the impression the other guy was talking about JB.

Luck should definitely go for a couple first rounders and then some.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ah contextual confusion then, my bad. I was under the impression the other guy was talking about JB.

Luck should definitely go for a couple first rounders and then some.

To be fair here, in the context of my entire quote, I never believed JB is worth first round picks or second, in fact I don’t believe I have a worth. However, in theory, I said IF that deal came to my desk or we can hope that Pitt comes calling and then I added I was getting greedy. It was all in the context of a never happening scenario. 

we MIGHT obtain 2 ones from someone for Luck if we were to trade his rights, and that would be a much higher chance than anyone giving us 2-1’s or 3-2’s or 5-3’s. JB is, right now, worth more to us than most every other team right now. He gets us into a SB game this year, that may change things. Currently, he isn’t special. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Saying no? Indignant business decisions fulled by sour grapes is not how you run an organisation. 

Didn't they already tell him No already.
  The truth seems to be he was healthy when he quit. That they knew a couple weeks if not much longer he was having commitment problems. Also it was said he wanted more time beyond the start of the season to get himself ready.
 He was told make up your mind NOW, or hit the road.
 I suspect inside he knew he wanted out at some point Last season. He was just not able to MAN UP and take the heat. He did wait and bag some serious MILLION$ though. And he set Brissett up nicely with that $20M. Irsay and CB must Love that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Saying no? Indignant business decisions fulled by sour grapes is not how you run an organisation. 

Neither is hitching your horseshoe to someone who would want to come back to the team after he quit on you two weeks before the season began with very little explanation as to why. How could you ever trust someone who did that? He could easily leave your team high and dry again. Either you're all in or not when it comes to the NFL. Andrew isn't and that's fine but the Colts need people who want to be there. Jacoby may not be as talented but he's all in and effective at the job for that alone I would take him over Andrew Luck to QB this team.

This game is not only physical its mental too talent only goes so far.

That being said I don't see this scenario happening so its a moot point.